Europe Review / Canada Preview - The Heretic

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Europe Review / Canada Preview - The Heretic

Post by Ed » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:42 pm

McLaren Fastest, Renault second and the jury is out on Ferrari - The Heretic reviews the European GP and previews the Canadian GP. Read the article here.
Then post your comments on the article in this thread.

Jim Watt
Racer
Racer

Heretic on Canada: Right On1

Post by Jim Watt » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:13 am

I can't believe I'm the first to respond to the Heretic :D Maybe there's something goofy with my computer. Anyway, here's my take:
I agree with you about Kimi's low odds gamble; I think he's probably frustrated at the long (and I do mean L-O-N-G; it took ALL LAST SEASON!) learning curve for the McLaren crew. When he joined, remember, he was the brightest young star in the field and was coming to the most recent team to beat Ferarri. Then reality set in. So last week, I'm sure he could feel yet another championship slipping from his grasp and was determined to move heaven and earth to prevent it. Luckily (and I do mean LUCKILY!) for him, all that moved was his front suspension and he didn't spear poor old Jens to end his enforced thrill ride. So I have picked him to win this week in Canada (and also to take the pole). I have to go with the odds and pick Fernando to finish a comfortable second, but I am secretly hoping the racing gods will scramble things up even more in the championship by sending Fernando a "pay-back" for his recent good fortune, something along the line of a fueling mis-hap or a flat tyre, or maybe even one of the famous "electronic" problems. I am more optimistic than you about Ferrari and so have Michael on the podium in third (hoping against hope that he makes the top step!). In fact, I am so confident in Jean Todt that I have put Rubens right behind Michael in 4th. I put Nick Heidfeld next because I am genuinely impressed by his savvy. Jarno Trulli will bring the Toyota into the points easily and may even make the podium because he definitely has the horses for this circuit. I put David Coulthard in the points around 7th or 8th because I am glad to see him showing what real driving skill can do for a less competitive team. Juan Pablo is a wild card, as you say, but I think he's suffering more from this mishap than he's let on. As you know, it is all about concentration at this level and I just think JPM has lost his.

So. Here's hoping for another thriller and another multi team podium!

Cheers. Jim Watt

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:38 pm

Jim, I think there are two drivers with a major problem, and they are both in McLarens. Kimmi drinks to excess too often, I believe the fitness, and reflex levels required necessitate an abstemious lfe style; and pics I have seen of Montoya talking to his crew during practice etc., indicate, to me anyway, that all is not well>If I was Denis I would be fairly disgruntled with both of them, and worried about my sponsors :shock:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

The Heretic

Post by The Heretic » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:13 am

Jim, although I agree with all your pics I would have put the Ferraris just one slot lower. Their problems are many not just tires.

Although I agree with you in priciple, Julian, there is little evidence that Kimi is affected. Imagine a hangover on top of the vibrations from the flat spot. The mind boggles.

Montoya is no different from so many drivers we have seen. They are capable of a briliant drive only when their bio-rhythms line up with the sun and stars and positive life forces help them out. Very tongue in cheek I accept, but how else do you explain the absolute brilliance one day and the lack on others? Montoya is a legend in his own lunch break.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:11 pm

The Heretic wrote:Jim, although I agree with all your pics I would have put the Ferraris just one slot lower. Their problems are many not just tires.

Although I agree with you in priciple, Julian, there is little evidence that Kimi is affected. Imagine a hangover on top of the vibrations from the flat spot. The mind boggles.

Montoya is no different from so many drivers we have seen. They are capable of a briliant drive only when their bio-rhythms line up with the sun and stars and positive life forces help them out. Very tongue in cheek I accept, but how else do you explain the absolute brilliance one day and the lack on others? Montoya is a legend in his own lunch break.
I used to compete in shooting sports, excess alcohol had a detrimental effect :oops: two days later, If he is ironing himself out as much as the reports suggest, he is going to be affected for several days, perhaps minutely by day 3, but affected none the less :lol: :beer:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.