Sebastien Buemi
No votes

Total votes: 152

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

The 2010 Japanese Grand Prix

Post by Ed » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:57 am

This is the place to discuss everything related to the sixteenth round of the 2010 season taking place at Suzuka in Japan between the 8th and the 10th of October.

To submit your 10 'n' Pole Picks for Japan click here, to register in the competition click here

Track Layout

The event timetable for the Japanese Grand Prix.

Friday
1st Practice 10:00 local time - 01:00 GMT
2nd Practice 14:00 local time - 05:00 GMT

Saturday
Practice 11:00 local time - 02:00 GMT
Qualifying 14:00 local time - 05:00 GMT

Sunday
Race 15:00 local time - 06:00 GMT

For the latest Formula 1 News check out the F1 news page
Last edited by Ed on Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:45 am

Past Winners..........
note...........event was not part of the Formula 1 World Championship between 1963-1976; race was not held in 1965, 1970, 1974 and from 1978-1986
*--event was not an official event on the F1 calendar
**--part of the 1976 Formula 1 calendar

--Peter Warr(1): 1963
--Michael Knight(1): 1964
--Yoshikazu Sunako(1): 1966
--Tetsu Ikuzawa(1): 1967
--Moto Kitano(1): 1968
--Motoharu Kurosawa(2): 1969, 1973
--Kuniomi Nagamatsu(1): 1971
--John Surtees(1): 1972
--Masahiro Hasemi(1): 1975
--Jacques Lafitte(1): 1976*
--Mario Andretti(1): 1976**
--James Hunt(1): 1977
--Gerhard Berger(2): 1987, 1990
--Ayrton Senna(2): 1988, 1993
--Alessandro Nannini(1): 1989
--Nelson Piquet(1): 1991
--Ricardo Patrese(1): 1992
--Damon Hill(2): 1994, 1996
--Michael Schumacher(6): 1995, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004
--Mika Hakkinen(2): 1998, 1999
--Rubens Barrichello(1): 2003
--Kimi Raikkonen(1): 2005
--Fernando Alonso(2): 2006, 2008
--Lewis Hamilton(1): 2007
--Sebastien Vettel(1): 2009
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:14 am

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:42 pm

*Tries to find a bit of shelter from the torrents of rain in the Suzuka area.........*

Updating the news from Saturday Practice...........the main item:
Rain Rules Final Practice In Japan

Q: How rainy is it, you ask?
A: I think I just saw Jim Watt float by on a pontoon boat, it's that rainy........ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:37 pm

Qualifying for the Japanese Grand Prix has been re-scheduled for 10 am local time on Sunday (1 am GMT).

After delaying the start of the qualifying session on Saturday twice, the FIA decided to run qualifying on Sunday morning due to the heavy rain falling on the Suzuka circuit.

This is the second time in six years that qualifying for Suzuka is run on Sunday morning due to poor weather conditions.

The track is expected to be damp at the start of qualifying however no rain is forecast and a dry race is more likely.

Damp Suzuka track likely for Sunday qualifying
FIA confirms Sunday qualifying for Suzuka

Thaddeus
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by Thaddeus » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:49 pm

If the track were too wet for qualifying at the rescheduled time, what would they do to determine the grid? Would it be based on car numbers (with Button 1st and Schumacher catapulted to 3rd) or would they do something else?

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:18 pm

Thaddeus wrote:If the track were too wet for qualifying at the rescheduled time, what would they do to determine the grid? Would it be based on car numbers (with Button 1st and Schumacher catapulted to 3rd) or would they do something else?
Yes they will be ordered by the car numbers. This assuming that the following rule is applied:

b) If more than one driver fails to set a time during Q1, Q2 or Q3 they will be arranged in the following
order :
i) any driver who attempted to set a qualifying time by starting a flying lap ;
ii) any driver who failed to start a flying lap ;
iii) any driver who failed to leave the pits during the period

If more than one driver falls into a single category in b) or d) above they will be arranged on the grid in numerical order

However I think it would be fairer to order them on their current standing in the championship. Even drawing a number from a hat is fairer!

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:19 pm

It is reported that Hamilton will incur a 5 grid penalty due to an unscheduled gearbox change

Thaddeus
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by Thaddeus » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:31 am

Thanks for the answer :)

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:50 am

Ed wrote:Qualifying for the Japanese Grand Prix has been re-scheduled for 10 am local time on Sunday (1 am GMT).

After delaying the start of the qualifying session on Saturday twice, the FIA decided to run qualifying on Sunday morning due to the heavy rain falling on the Suzuka circuit.

This is the second time in six years that qualifying for Suzuka is run on Sunday morning due to poor weather conditions.

The track is expected to be damp at the start of qualifying however no rain is forecast and a dry race is more likely.

Damp Suzuka track likely for Sunday qualifying
FIA confirms Sunday qualifying for Suzuka

So, qualifying will be under damp conditions and the race under dry conditions...............how does that saying go, "May you race in interesting times?" :lol: :shock: :shock: :burnout:

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:49 pm

Sebastian Vettel wins the race ahead of Mark Webber and Fernando Alonso.
Button, Hamilton, Schumacher, Kobayashi, Heidfeld, Barrichello and Buemi make the top 10.
Alguersuari, Kovalainen, Trulli, Glock, Senna and Yamamoto make the rest of the field.

Retirements: Rosberg, Sutil, Kubica, Hulkenberg, Massa, Petrov, Liuzzi and di Grassi

Jim Watt
Racer
Racer

Post by Jim Watt » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:11 am

:D :D So, for the second race in a row, Sebastian Vettel makes zero mistakes and drives an excellent race; only difference is this time he wins it.

But does the wunderkind get 'drive of the day' from the gearheads at NewsonF1.com? No. He doesn't even out-score his team mate who earns, with another good clean reliable drive, second place.

No. You guys (and gals) choose Kobayashi who finishes --even behind Michael Schumacher!-- in SEVENTH PLACE. :evil: :evil:

Hell, that's so far down I don't even remember how many points (not real points, but Bernie E's new, revised, improved points) it's worth!! :roll: :roll:

Meanwhile, Lew Hamilton manages this time to keep his machine on the road and not run over his team-mate --or anyone else :oops: :oops: But it's too little too late.

I have, as some of you know, an inexplicable and ridiculous prejudice against Team McLaren (although, I think their inability to provide Kimi Raikkonen with a car that could make it to the finish line and their silly mis-use of Fernando Alonso might be reasons enough), but I have to say even I am feeling sorry for those chaps. They keep gamely bringing new updates to the races and getting about a Renault level team performance for their efforts.

Sad about Renault for this race, wasn't it? :cry: :cry:

And how can TWO cars in an F1 --the pinnacle of motorsport-- race literally drive their wheels off? :shock: :shock:

Not only has Bernie turned F1 into an international financial joke --are we going to race in Korea on snow and mud tyres?--it's starting to look like the teams have signed on to his goofy notions of how to manage the best drivers and manufacturers in the world! The start of this race looked even worse than a world of outlaws dirt track midget race in Bloomington IN!! 8) 8)

All in all, even though I almost called the first five places perfectly (I just had Hambone ahead of Jense, silly me), I was generally bored out of my skull by this race.

Anyway, Brazil should be fun.

Jim Watt

PS. M. Little: it wasn't me floating down pit lane; I went to bed right after I tuned in for qualifications and the media types at Speed said they were 'delaying qualifications for a half an hour'. A half an hour!! Jeeze, it really was raining cats and dogs, or should I say cats and lotuses?
My Racing Gods: Fangio, Vukovich; Senna & Mears --all racers all the time; graceful winners & generous in defeat, but never giving up!!

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:45 am

Where to start, where to start.....................

First, I knew this race was going to be interesting when di Grassi had off shunt on the reconnaissance lap just driving to the grid........... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Then, the first lap schmozzles' involving Petrov, Hulkenberg, Massa(there went my pick for race winner..........."Thanks, Phil!" :evil: ) and Liuzzi. What is this, bumper cars at the county fair? TBH, the start reminded me of all the numerous fugly IndyCar starts of recent memory........... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Then, folly of follies..........Kubica loses a wheel? WTH? NO, seriously, W-T-H?!? What genius in the Renault camp forgot to tighten the wheels on his car before the race............I could tell this race was turning into a festival of carbon fiber and team screwups(of course, having fallen asleep during the race, I forgot about Rosberg's car losing a tire also...........Sacre bleu!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

But anyway...................as much as it pains me to say it, I must give credit where credit is due. I voted for Sebby V. for Driver of the Day; as much as I thought he was beginning to show signs of cracking(a/la Will Power in the IndyCar Series) Vettel really showed that, under pressure, he can drive to the absolute limits and not crack, so there.....I voted for the 'wunderkind'. What's next, cats and dogs living together? :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:

Looking ahead, you'd think Formula 1, the 'pinnacle of world motorsport', would have noted the times that the former ChampCar series tried to hold a grand prix event in Korea(Ansan, anyone?) only to have to sulk away and cancel.........won't that be embarrassing for the Troll and his compatriots if they have to cancel. This of course, begs the question..........do we book for Korea or wait for Interlagos? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thaddeus
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by Thaddeus » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:14 pm

I voted for Vettel as well.

His been back on-form lately. His Singapore drive was excellent, as was today's. Webber's lead has slightly increased over his rivals as well.

I slept in (having woken up to watch qualifying) and missed the first 20 laps. It was only some time later I discovered Kubica had had a really good start before his car became a trike. Would've been very interesting to see if he could've held second.

Webber's still the title favourite for me. Next race the McLarens either score huge points or their challenge is over.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:12 am

Jim Watt wrote:PS. M. Little: it wasn't me floating down pit lane; I went to bed right after I tuned in for qualifications and the media types at Speed said they were 'delaying qualifications for a half an hour'. A half an hour!! Jeeze, it really was raining cats and dogs, or should I say cats and lotuses?
I couldn't tell during qualis' who it was floating down pit lane...........I figured, "it's either Julian Mayo or Jim Watt; who would be more likely to attempt something like that?" Then there was the pontoon boat thingy.......if it had been Julian, he'd floated down pit lane on top of all those cans of Red Bull............ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: