Renault's 'crash gate' - FIA hearing on 21 September

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Renault's 'crash gate' - FIA hearing on 21 September

Post by Ed » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:17 pm

The claims that Renault have asked Nelson Piquet to deliberately crash out of the Singapore Grand Prix so the safety car condition can benefit Fernando Alonso are getting very serious with news that the FIA have launched an investigation into the claims and may in the next few days refer the case to the World Motor Sport Council.

If Renault are indeed found to have deliberately asked Piquet to crash the consequences on the team will be severe and could mean expelling the team from Formula 1. Nelson Piquet would also be in trouble and may lose his superlicense. Those in the team who would have masterminded such plot would also be severely punished.

When the reports first came out, they were hard to believe but it appears that there are enough suspicion that warrants a detailed investigation. It could also have an element of politics as Mosley may be after Briatore before he leaves the FIA. But regardless, if there is any truth to these claims, all those behind it should be severly punished.

We will provide updates on this story as new information becomes available.

Related:
FIA probes claims of deliberate Piquet crash
Renault, Piquet do not comment on crash cheat claims
Ecclestone speaks as 'crash-gate' erupts
FIA probes Renault beyond 'crash-gate' claims
Coulthard not buying F1 conspiracy theories
Massa confronted Briatore about Piquet crash
Renault cheat hearing would be 21 September - report

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:09 pm

The FIA are charging Renault with conspiring with their driver Nelson Piquet to cause a deliberate crash at the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix. The FIA called for an extraordinary meeting of the World Motor Sport Council on the 21st of September.

The FIA statement read:

Extraordinary Meeting of the World Motor Sport Council 04/09/2009

Representatives of ING Renault F1 have been requested to appear before an extraordinary meeting of the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Paris on Monday, 21 September 2009.

The team representatives have been called to answer charges, including a breach of Article 151c of the International Sporting Code, that the team conspired with its driver, Nelson Piquet Jr, to cause a deliberate crash at the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix with the aim of causing the deployment of the safety car to the advantage of its other driver, Fernando Alonso.

------------------------------

Article 151 of the International Sporting Code states:

Breach of rules
Any of the following offences in addition to any offences specifically referred to previously, shall be deemed to be a breach of these rules :

a) All bribery or attempt, directly or indirectly, to bribe any person having official duties in relation to a competition or being employed in any manner in connection with a competition and the acceptance of, or offer to accept, any bribe by such an official or employee.
b) Any action having as its object the entry or participation in a competition of an automobile known to be ineligible therefor.
c) Any fraudulent conduct or any act prejudicial to the interests of any competition or to the interests of motor sport generally.

And article 153 (Scale of Penalties) states:

Penalties may be inflicted as follows in order of increasing severity :

− reprimand (blame);
− fines;
− time penalty;
− exclusion;
− suspension;
− disqualification.

Time penalty means a penalty expressed in minutes and/or seconds.
Any one of the above penalties can only be inflicted after an enquiry has been held and, in case of one of the last three, the concerned party must be summoned to give them the opportunity of presenting their defence.

For the FIA Formula One World Championship and the FIA World Rally Championship, a penalty consisting of the withdrawal of points over the whole of the Championship may be imposed.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:12 pm

The Renault team issued a brief statement. It read:

ING Renault F1 Team Statement 04.09.09 - 4 SEP 2009

The ING Renault F1 Team acknowledges the FIA's request for representatives of the team to appear before the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Paris on the 21st of September 2009. Before attending the hearing, the team will not make any further comment

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:16 pm

jido
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by jido » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:23 pm

So they were found guilty?

That is a sad day for motor sport...

Jim Watt
Racer
Racer

Post by Jim Watt » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:28 am

:D I posted on Speed.Com my feelings about this latest round with lawyers and accusations of cheating. I believe we need a rule in the F.I.A. that an independent accountant be hired to verify the legal spending of litigants (both the petitioner and the defendant) in such cases. Then the F.I.A. shall remove that amount from its operating budget and dispense it to the active drivers, giving them the choice of pocketing the money or donating it to the F1 Drivers' Association Safety fund. I think that would result in something positive coming from this legal silliness. :roll:

Jim Watt
My Racing Gods: Fangio, Vukovich; Senna & Mears --all racers all the time; graceful winners & generous in defeat, but never giving up!!

Jim Watt
Racer
Racer

Post by Jim Watt » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:29 am

:D I posted on Speed.Com my feelings about this latest round with lawyers and accusations of cheating. I believe we need a rule in the F.I.A. that an independent accountant be hired to verify the legal spending of litigants (both the petitioner and the defendant) in such cases. Then the F.I.A. shall remove that amount from its operating budget and dispense it to the active drivers, giving them the choice of pocketing the money or donating it to the F1 Drivers' Association Safety fund. I think that would result in something positive coming from this legal silliness. :roll:

Jim Watt
My Racing Gods: Fangio, Vukovich; Senna & Mears --all racers all the time; graceful winners & generous in defeat, but never giving up!!

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:47 pm

jido wrote:So they were found guilty?

That is a sad day for motor sport...
No, they have been charged and Renault will have to defend their case. It isn't clear how incriminating the FIA evidence is but the fact that the FIA have charged Renault means that they appear to have a strong case.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:22 am

Latest news on Renault 'crash-gate' scandal apears to indicate that Piquet and Symonds may have planned this in return for an extension to Piquet's contract.

At this stage it appears that Alonso didn't know about it but all the facts will be revealed at the FIA hearing on the 21st of September.

Related stories:
Renault heads deny race-fixing in letter to FIA
Symonds says Singapore crash was Piquet's idea
Symonds said 'be careful' before Piquet crash
Symonds evasive during FIA questioning
Surprised Alonso backs Briatore amid 'crash-gate'

jido
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by jido » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:22 pm

If what I read from Nelsinho's hearing is true --and other evidence seems to indicate it is-- then I think Renault should sack Briatore. That is ridiculous. What kind of race strategy is that?? :?

Pat and Nelsinho should be ashamed to have participated in such charade. At least Piquet did some effort to inform the authorities...

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 pm

Renault seem to be fighting back now even before the hearing. Renault and Flavio Briatore are commencing criminal proceedings against Nelson Piquet and his father.

The Renault statement read:

ING Renault F1 Team Statement 11.09.09 - 11 SEP 2009

"The FIA has announced that it is to hold an extraordinary meeting of the World Motor Sport Council ('WMSC') on 21 September 2009. The ING Renault F1 Team is to attend that meeting and answer allegations that members of the team conspired with Nelson Piquet Jnr to cause a deliberate accident at the 2008 Singapore GP, so that Fernando Alonso might benefit from the resulting safety car.

"The ING Renault F1 Team had not commented publicly during the FIA's initial investigation into this matter.

"However, today the ING Renault F1 Team and its Managing Director Flavio Briatore personally, wish to state that they have commenced criminal proceedings against Nelson Piquet Junior and Nelson Piquet Senior in France concerning the making of false allegations and a related attempt to blackmail the team into allowing Mr Piquet Jnr to drive for the remainder of the 2009 season. The matter will also be referred to the Police in the UK.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:56 pm

Flavio n Pat have both quit Renault. !!!!
The mud may fly further still.
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:09 pm

The Renault F1 team issued a short statement that read:

The ING Renault F1 Team will not dispute the recent allegations made by the FIA concerning the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix.

It also wishes to state that its managing director, Flavio Briatore and its executive director of engineering, Pat Symonds, have left the team.

Before attending the hearing before the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Paris on 21 September 2009, the team will not make any further comment.

--------------------------------

It seems that Renault have realised that the evidence against them is mounting and have decided not to dispute the allegations and get rid of Briatore and Symonds in exchange for a lenient sentence by the FIA.

For the team though, the loss of Briatore and particularly Symonds is a big blow.

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:00 am

Wow! Briatore and Symonds are out! Serves them right but I cannot understand how could one do such a thing. Also Piquet should not race in F1 again

It seems Alonso didn't know about this which is a relief but if he knew and didn't say then he should also be penalised. Even if he didn't know, I think he should return the Singapore trophy because now he knows that the safety car was fabricated.

I guess these people just blend ultra competitivness and cheating and a few others have done that in the past not least Michael a few years ago and Hamilton/McLaren earlier this year.
It is no excuse and this should serve as a reminder to everyone else.

Having said that, I think the FIA should have investigated this matter immediately but it seems they only rely on tipoffs to do their work.

Now Max Mosley outlasted both Ron Dennis and Flavio Briatore - Amazing isn't it!!
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:31 pm

The Renault 'race fixing' scandal is getting a lot of coverage on mainstream media and it isn't good for the image of Formula 1.

There are suggestions that Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds maybe banned for life from any motorsport role. Singapore may lay criminal charges against them for causing a dangerous accident. Renault could file a law suit against them for damaging their reputation. The list goes on!

Was the chance of winning that race worth all this ? Surely not!

Related stories:

Piquet vows to keep fighting Briatore
Briatore departure a 'noble gesture' - Galliani
Heavy consequences await departed F1 chiefs
Ghosn holding fire on 'crash-gate' reaction
Ecclestone 'sorry' after Renault chief departures
Richards 'not contacted' about Renault boss job
Media says Renault admit to race-fixing