2008 F1 Challengers: The Red Bull RB4

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

What do you expect from Red Bull in 2008 ?

They will exceed all expectations and finish in the top 3 and possibly win a race
43%
They will improve on their result in 2007 and finish 4th or 5th
57%
They will have a similar result to 2007
No votes
They will finish worse than in 2007 due to other teams making bigger improvements
No votes
They will finish much worse than in 2007 (8th or lower)
No votes

Total votes: 7

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

2008 F1 Challengers: The Red Bull RB4

Post by Ed » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:13 am

2008 CAR MAKES JEREZ DEBUT

Just a twenty minute drive from Red Bull Racing's Milton Keynes headquarters, the sun is shining brightly over a nice dry track at Silverstone Circuit. However, we chose to drive to the southern tip of Europe to launch our 2008 challenger, the RB4, at the Jerez track, where grey skies and rain are the order of the day.

Despite the wet track, David Coulthard completed an installation lap early this morning. "It's great to see a new car come together," he commented. "Inevitably, a lot of parts were still arriving last night, so when I left for my bed it looked a bit bare, but this morning, there it was in all its glory! It looks super with lots of nice detail on it and given that it did its installation lap and came back to the garage, so far we have achieved all our targets! Now we have to build from there".

Anxiously watching from the pit wall was team principal, Christian Horner: "It's always a key moment to see a new car run for the first time," he said. "And particularly in the case of RB4, that first lap represents a monumental amount of work from the entire workforce. Over the last few weeks, all the departments have made Herculean efforts to get the car ready for this shakedown today".

Last edited by Ed on Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:14 am

David Coulthard was at the wheel of Red Bull Racing's challenger for the 2008 season, the RB4, giving the new car its first ever run at the Jerez circuit today. The day can be described as successful, given that DC completed a total of 54 laps, putting in some long runs in dry conditions this afternoon, having completed a couple of installation laps on a damp track in the morning.

ADRIAN NEWEY: "Today was all about giving the new car a good shakedown and getting some miles on it. Now we hope to settle down to proper performance testing, starting in Valencia next week. The car's potential? Far too early to say!"

GEOFFREY WILLIS: "This was an encouraging start with quite a few laps completed for what was a shakedown day. We went through most of the systems and completed much of what we needed to do prior to performance testing. We were able to look at several elements, such as the cooling system and various other data, with everything working reasonably well. We now have a few days to get more parts ready for some tough testing in Valencia next week."

Lloyd
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

RB4

Post by Lloyd » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:39 am

RB4 could be the car they have been wanting. Early view is that if it builds on end of 07 performance and runs the whole race, could be a few podiums. :D
Maybe, perhaps, not sure

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:57 am

2nd :lol:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:43 pm

My prediction 5th.

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:35 am

Given the pace of the Honda and the Toyota, Red Bull should improve but not by much as I doubt many teams in front of them can be caught.
They should be worried about Williams and Toro Rosso :wink:
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:11 am

imho the following can be gleaned from testing so far:
Nothing can get within .4 of the Ferrari with anything approaching reasonable fuel loads.
BMW have fallen behind, the BMW F1.08 is harder to drive than last years car.
McLaren are suffering from the financail imposts and FIA scrutiny.
Renault are at the same pace as Williams and Toyota.
Red Bull and Torro Rosso can be very quick, but I still have concerns about reliability.
Here is a bold guess at the WDC top three.........
Kimi
Massa
Webber.
:lol:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:57 am

Julian Mayo wrote:Renault are at the same pace as Williams and Toyota.
:shock: :shock:

It is hard enough to read testing times but from the testing I read about Williams appeared to be close to McLaren and Ferrari while Toyota are seconds behind!! They seem to have a major flaw with their wing design though.

Renault have been consistently 3rd so far behind Ferrari and McLaren however this does not include Alonso's input on the car. They will be a lot closer in the next few tests :D :D
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

Redhead
2006 8 'n' Pole Round Winner
2006 8 'n' Pole Round Winner

Post by Redhead » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:15 am

DC's assessment
"I think if we look at the testing so far, Ferrari look to have a small advantage over McLaren, and those two are much quicker than anyone else. And then, BMW seem to an extent to have gone back a little bit, while Renault have gone forward a little bit. Honda seem in the same trouble. We hope we're going forward, but we don't know yet."
Probably sums it up as well as anything.

I hate this time of year :evil:

cheers,
Red
All Italiano WDC 2007!
(OK there was a Finn, a Brazilian and a Frenchman ...........)