May 22 (GMM) A year after sparking the famous Monaco 'team orders' furore, Lewis Hamilton on Wednesday said he now believes McLaren was right to asking him to settle for second place in 2007.
The angry Briton said in the post-race press conference last year that he duly followed then teammate Fernando Alonso to the chequered flag because he is the "number two driver".In reaction, F1's governing body launched an investigation into whether McLaren had broken the rules about illegal team orders.A week after the race, the British youngster defended his comments: "I just said what I felt. Sometimes your feelings need to be expressed."On the sidelines of his second grand prix on the Principality's streets, however, Hamilton has revised his perception of the 2007 saga.Referring to his second place at Monaco as a rookie, the 23-year-old said on Wednesday: "I think anyone would have been happy with that."Looking back, I don't have any regrets, and the team did the right thing," Hamilton said.He added: "You learn a lot when you are behind someone anyway, but I just had to look at it and say 'I'm here in formula one, and it is my first Monaco grand prix'."