May 29 (GMM) In a press interview this week, Jenson Button showed no signs of losing patience with Honda or wanting to switch to a rival team.
The interview follows reports at Monaco that negotiations had begun to extend the 28-year-old Briton's contract beyond 2008.A British newspaper said at Monaco that there is a chance Button will quit the Japanese team "to chase his dream of winning the drivers' world championship".But to the German publication Auto Motor und Sport, Button said he is feeling "much better" about his seat at Brackley compared with one year ago."It's not so much about the results, which are not great yet," he said."It's that the general feeling has improved. We are making progress at every race."The team was good in the first place but it has been strengthened with the right people," said Button, who was delighted with the appointment as team principal of Ross Brawn.Button explained that, compared to the miserable situation in 2007, he now sees light at the end of the tunnel."I would not have wanted it to stay like last year. I said to (Honda CEO Takeo) Fukui-san that something had to change."I put on the pressure that we should get Ross on board, and the reaction showed me that my opinion is taken seriously."When it was official that Ross had signed, I don't think there was one person in the team who was not enthusiastic. Everyone thought: this is the turning point."Now I feel that it is worth it to wait."Button said he is looking forward to next year."2009 is a special situation because the rules are changing so much -- everyone is going to start from zero. That is our chance," he explained.