Silly Season--IRL, 2006

All about Indy Racing League (IRL)

Moderators: Ed, mlittle

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Re: Scheckter signs with Vision Racing

Post by mlittle » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:57 pm

mlittle wrote:Although there has been no official announcement, officials w/Vision Racing are set to announce that Tomas Scheckter, formerly of Panther Racing, will sign with Vision Racing, partnering fellow IndyCar Series driver Ed Carpenter, giving the team's co-owners, IRL founder Tony George and actor/sports-car driver Patrick Dempsey, a 2-car team for the 2006 campaign.

Today Vision Racing announced that Tomas Scheckter, formerly with Panther Racing, will drive a second car for the team in 2006. Accordingly, the silly season projections will be adjusted to reflect this.
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Panther Racing to return in 2006......??!

Post by mlittle » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:03 pm

According to multiple sources, Panther Racing may be back on the grid at Homestead in 2006. At least one credible source(ar1.com) says that the team will have a 1-car effort for 2006, with Vitor Meira(formerly of Rahal-Letterman Racing) driving for the team. The source also says that Meira is bringing his sponsors(Johns Manville, Menards) and a ton of cash to help keep the team afloat. An official announcement is slated for tomorrow.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Re: Panther Racing to return in 2006......??!

Post by mlittle » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:13 am

mlittle wrote:According to multiple sources, Panther Racing may be back on the grid at Homestead in 2006. At least one credible source(ar1.com) says that the team will have a 1-car effort for 2006, with Vitor Meira(formerly of Rahal-Letterman Racing) driving for the team. The source also says that Meira is bringing his sponsors(Johns Manville, Menards) and a ton of cash to help keep the team afloat. An official announcement is slated for tomorrow.
It is official; Panther Racing will be back for 2006, with Meira as their driver for the season. Welcome back, Panther! :clap: :clap: :clap:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Seat Projections, 11 Feb. 2005

Post by mlittle » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:32 am

1 major change of note.....Panther Racing will return to the grid for 2006, with Vitor Meira piloting a one-car effort for the team. And there is a bit of a ripple effect from it....

1}Andretti-Green Racing(4):Dario Franchitti, Tony Kanaan, Bryan Herta, Marco Andretti(R). No changes at present.

2}Panther Racing(1):Vitor Meira. The team officially announce their decision Friday, ending speculation that they wouldn't return for 2006. Meira joins what is arguably one of the best small-budget teams in the IndyCar Series and inheirits the ride which has been piloted by(from 1997) Roberto Guerrero, Scott Goodyear, Sam Hornish, Jr. and Tomas Scheckter. Sponsorship is likely to be divided btwn. Pennzoil, Johns Manville and Menards.

3}Marlboro-Team Penske(2):Sam Hornish, Jr., Helio Castroneves. No changes at present.

4}Rahal-Letterman Racing(3):Danica Patrick, Buddy Rice, Paul Dana(R). No changes at present.

5}Aguri-Fernandez Racing(2):Scott Sharp, Kosuke Matsuura. No changes at present.

6}Vision Racing(2):Ed Carpenter, Tomas Scheckter. No changes at present.

7}Target/Ganassi Racing(2):Scott Dixon, Dan Wheldon. No changes at present.

8}Dreyer & Reinbold(1):Thiago Medieros(?), Jeff Simmons(?), Alex Barron(?). No changes at present.

9}A.J. Foyt Racing(1):Felipe Giaffone. No changes at present.

10}Hemelgarn Racing(1): Jimmy Kite(?), Buddy Lazier(?). No changes at present.

11}Team Cheever(1-2):Patrick Carpentier, Alex Barron(?). No changes at present.

Prov. 1)Yellow Ribbon Racing(2).....drivers tba.

Prov. 2)Matt Young Mtrspts.(1):Alex Barron(?), Thiago Medieros(?), Jeff Simmons(?), Roger Yasukawa(?). The rumormills have it that the team is planning to run a partial 2006 season(including the 500) with 2004-spec Panoz chassis.

Prov. 3)Robby Gordon Racing(1):Robby Gordon(Indy-only ?). No changes at present.

Prov. 4)Playa del Racing(1):Jaques Lazier(?). No changes at present.

No. of confirmed seats:17
No. of open seats:4-8 seats(likely 3)

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Cheever to return for first four IRL races in 2006

Post by mlittle » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:15 pm

Call him retired no more; Team Cheever owner Eddie Cheever, Jr., who last raced at Texas in the 2002 season finale, announced today that he will be returning to the series as a driver-owner for the first four races of the 2006 season, including the Indy 500, where he'll join fellow co-owner Michael Andretti for that race. In making the announcement, he noted that "I've never really stopped driving; I simply took a different role in our IRL operations the last few years." During the off-season, Cheever formed a Rloex Sports Car Series team, fielding two entries for the Rolex 24 @ Daytona, where he finished 17th overall(11th in DP class) alongside drivers Patrick Carpentier and Christian Fittipaldi. "After our team's strong showing with the Crown Royal car at Daytona, I was excited about the prospect of driving again at Indy. With Honda as our sole engine supplier creating parity in the IndyCar series, it only made more sense to continue our team's legacy of Indianapolis 500 competition."

Cheever's 500 history is part of the story, as well. His first visit to the Brickyard was in 1990 driving for Chip Ganassi after making over 130 starts in Formula 1; he finished 8th and was the Indy 500 rookie of the year. In 1992, he started on the front row, led nine laps and finished 4th. But his greatest achievement was in 1998 when he finally won the Greatest Spectacle in Racing. During his career before today's announcement, he made 71 starts, collecting 5 wins(Orlando-1997, Indy-1998, Orlando-1999, Pikes Peak-2000, and Kansas-2001), 1 pole position, 17 top-5 finishes and 35 top-10 finishes.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Lazier to drive for D & R in 2006

Post by mlittle » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:51 am

One of the last of the open seats in the upcoming 2006 IRL grid was filled today, as Dreyer & Reinbold Racing announced that veteran racer Buddy Lazier, 1996 Indy 500 winner and 2000 IRL series champion, will pilot a 1-car entry for the 2006 season. There are two upsides to this....1}the decision pairs a veteran driver in Lazier w/a former driver, team co-owner Robbie Buhl, which should help them move up the grid some this year, and 2}it fills a spot for the 33-car grid for this year's Indy 500.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Seat Predictions, 25 Feb. 2006

Post by mlittle » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:19 pm

With just a month or so left before they fire em' up at Homestead on March 26, here are the current predictions on who is driving for whom in the 2006 IRL IndyCar Series.....

1}Andretti-Green Racing(4):Dario Franchitti, Tony Kanaan, Bryan Herta, Marco Andretti(R). No changes at present.

2}Panther Racing(1):Vitor Meira. No changes at present.

3}Marlboro-Team Penske(2):Sam Hornish, Jr., Helio Castroneves. No changes at present.

4}Rahal-Letterman Racing(3):Danica Patrick, Buddy Rice, Paul Dana(R). No changes at present.

5}Aguri-Fernadez Racing(2):Scott Sharp, Kosuke Matsuura. No changes at present.

6}Vision Racing(2):Ed Carpenter, Tomas Scheckter. No changes at present.

7}Target/Ganassi Racing(2):Scott Dixon, Dan Wheldon. No changes at present.

8}Dreyer & Reinbold(1):Buddy Lazier. With the 2000 series driver now signed, there will be a total of 6 series champions on the grid at Homestead(Kanaan-2004, Hornish, Jr.-2001, 2002, Sharp[co-champion, 1996], Dixon-2003, Wheldon-2005 and Lazier-2000).

9}A.J. Foyt Racing(1):Felipe Giaffone. No changes at present.

10}Hemelgarn Racing(1): Jimmy Kite(?). No changes at present.

11}Team Cheever(1-2):Eddie Cheever, Jr.[through Indy], Patrick Carpentier, Alex Barron(?). With Cheever's return, there will be 5 former Indy 500 champions at Homestead(Castroneves, 2001-2002, Rice-2004, Wheldon-2005, B. Lazier-1996 and Cheever-1998).

Prov. 1)Yellow Ribbon Racing(2)......drivers tba.

Prov. 2)Matt Young Mtrspts.(1):Alex Barron(?), Thiago Medieros(?), Jeff Simmons(?), Roger Yasukawa(?). No changes at present.

Prov. 3)Robby Gordon Racing(1):Robby Gordon(Indy only?) No changes at present.

Prov. 4)Playa del Racing(1):Jaques Lazier(?). No changes at present.

No. of confirmed seats:19
No. of open seats:2-6 seats(likely just 1 seat left)

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Chesson to drive for Hemelgarn in 2006

Post by mlittle » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:06 am

It looks like all the pieces on the silly season calender have been filled; Hemelgarn Racing announced today that former World of Outlaws and Indy Pro Series driver P.J. Chesson will be driving for the Indianapolis-based team in 2006. Chesson, who has competed in the IPS part-time over the past 2 years, has 3 IPS victories and will be the third rookie driver on the grid for 2006, along with Marco Andretti and Paul Dana.

Accordingly, the final seat postings are as follows(barring any changes).....

1}Andretti-Green Racing(4):Tony Kanaan, Dario Franchitti, Bryan Herta and Marco Andretti[R]
2}Panther Racing(1):Vitor Meira
3}Marlboro-Team Penske(2):Sam Hornish, Jr., Helio Castroneves
4}Rahal-Letterman Racing(3):Danica Patrick, Buddy Rice and Paul Dana[R]
5}Aguri-Fernandez Racing(2):Scott Sharp, Kosuke Matsurra
6}Target/Ganassi Racing(2):Scott Dixon, Dan Wheldon
7}Dreyer & Reinbold(1):Buddy Lazier
8}Vision Racing(2):Tomas Scheckter, Ed Carpenter
9}A.J. Foyt Racing(1):Felipe Giaffone
10}Hemelgarn Racing(1);P.J. Chesson[R]
11}Team Cheever(1):Eddie Cheever, Jr.(#)
Note-#}Cheever is driving the first four races of the season

Total number of seats for 2006....20
Last edited by mlittle on Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:58 pm

There, that didnt take long, did it :alright: :cheers:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:15 pm

And to think.....the Champ Car season is about a month away, and at least half the grid there's yet to be filled. :shock: :shock:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:35 pm

:beer: :bang:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:42 pm

Julian Mayo wrote::beer: :bang:
That's probably what they're saying, too.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:49 pm

Well, its starting to look like we have the drivers locked in V8 supercars anyway. This would be one of the silliest silly seasons for all classes of motorsport worldwide, in my memory :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:12 pm

Julian Mayo wrote:Well, its starting to look like we have the drivers locked in V8 supercars anyway. This would be one of the silliest silly seasons for all classes of motorsport worldwide, in my memory :shock:
You ain't whistlin' Dixie, Julian. (In other words, you're right!)

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:14 pm

mlittle wrote:
Julian Mayo wrote:Well, its starting to look like we have the drivers locked in V8 supercars anyway. This would be one of the silliest silly seasons for all classes of motorsport worldwide, in my memory :shock:
You ain't whistlin' Dixie, Julian. (In other words, you're right!)
or shuckin black peas :lol: