Anything Cricket!

Want to relax, share an experience or just have a friendly discussion. This is the place

Moderators: cmlean, Ed

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:20 pm

Hey Kappy,
I see you blokes have hired Greg Chappel as coach. Does that mean that pretty soon there will be lots of young fellas running up and chucking down underarmers :?: That should fool Sunil :!: :wink:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Kapel
2004 Champ
2004 Champ

Post by Kapel » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:42 pm

julian mayo wrote:Hey Kappy,
I see you blokes have hired Greg Chappel as coach. Does that mean that pretty soon there will be lots of young fellas running up and chucking down underarmers :?: That should fool Sunil :!: :wink:
Sunil is not particularly happy with Greg's selection & ofcourse the underarmers is one of the reason(Bhajji is anyway under the scanner),but the other being-Greg doesnt consider Superstar status in the team & favours Ganguly,which could hurt Sachin & in a way Sunil :wink:

Good for Indian cricket i hope :twisted:
An F1 Idiot!!!

Bundy
Racer
Racer

Post by Bundy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:50 pm

One massive positive about Greg Chappell is he has a very astute cricket brain. A few years ago he knocked back the job with the West Indies because they wouldn't let him develop their first class system but only wanted him to get the team performing better.

Greg will kick heads and other places if neccessary and get Indian cricket as strong as possible.

The first thing he needs to do is stop curators preparing dust bowls and to have a situation where Indian First Class cricket develops players who can play on any type of wicket.
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.......

I'm no ordinary idiot. I'm an F1 idiot!!!
146th in 8'n'Pole 2007
293rd in 8'n'Pole 2006

Kapel
2004 Champ
2004 Champ

Post by Kapel » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:04 pm

bundy wrote:One massive positive about Greg Chappell is he has a very astute cricket brain. A few years ago he knocked back the job with the West Indies because they wouldn't let him develop their first class system but only wanted him to get the team performing better.

Greg will kick heads and other places if neccessary and get Indian cricket as strong as possible.

The first thing he needs to do is stop curators preparing dust bowls and to have a situation where Indian First Class cricket develops players who can play on any type of wicket.
Well,i agree with u on Greg having a good cricketing brain.He was infact appointed 5 yrs back before Wright,but issues regarding Domestic cricket(he didnt want to get involved) & money stalled the entire process.

Regarding pitches,if you'd would have noticed in the test series in India last when Aussies came down,the pitches were hard,had grass & had a very good bounce & it turned after day3(except Bombay pitch).
One must understand that the soil in India is soft(agricultural) & if more chemicals are used the ball would travel like a underarm ball :wink:

If Pitches in sub-continent are dusty & turn visciously,isnt the variety good for the sport??? :wink:
Aussies finally did win here!!! :oops:
An F1 Idiot!!!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:16 pm

Kapel wrote:
bundy wrote:One massive positive about Greg Chappell is he has a very astute cricket brain. A few years ago he knocked back the job with the West Indies because they wouldn't let him develop their first class system but only wanted him to get the team performing better.

Well,i agree with u on Greg having a good cricketing brain.He was infact appointed 5 yrs back before Wright,but issues regarding Domestic cricket(he didnt want to get involved) & money stalled the entire process.

Regarding pitches,if you'd would have noticed in the test series in India last when Aussies came down,the pitches were hard,had grass & had a very good bounce & it turned after day3(except Bombay pitch).
One must understand that the soil in India is soft(agricultural) & if more chemicals are used the ball would travel like a underarm ball :wink:

If Pitches in sub-continent are dusty & turn visciously,isnt the variety good for the sport??? :wink:
Yes they did, and Greg will see that the pitches favour them,next time or Chappelli will bash him up again :twisted:

Bundy
Racer
Racer

Post by Bundy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:48 pm

Kapel wrote: Regarding pitches,if you'd would have noticed in the test series in India last when Aussies came down,the pitches were hard,had grass & had a very good bounce & it turned after day3(except Bombay pitch).
I can recall only one having grass & Ganguly cracked the sh*ts with the curator for that.
Kapel wrote: If Pitches in sub-continent are dusty & turn visciously,isnt the variety good for the sport??? :wink:
It might be good for the sport to have some variety but its no good for Indian cricket. What ends up happening is that they tend to dominate at home but get smashed away from home because their techniques don't stand up to other conditions.

I don't have a problem with them preparing dust bowls for test matches if that is what they want to do (as long as they are not dangerous like the last test vs Aust) but it serves no purpose for them to do it in their domestic comp if they are just going to prepare cricketers who are unable to play outside of India.

Its not the players fault, if you are brought up playing on dust bowls you will have a technique that is successful on dust bowls. It just won't stand up elsewhere..

146th in 8'n'Pole 2007
293rd in 8'n'Pole 2006

Kapel
2004 Champ
2004 Champ

Post by Kapel » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:59 pm

bundy wrote:
Kapel wrote: Regarding pitches,if you'd would have noticed in the test series in India last when Aussies came down,the pitches were hard,had grass & had a very good bounce & it turned after day3(except Bombay pitch).
I can recall only one having grass & Ganguly cracked the sh*ts with the curator for that.
Kapel wrote: If Pitches in sub-continent are dusty & turn visciously,isnt the variety good for the sport??? :wink:
Its not the players fault, if you are brought up playing on dust bowls you will have a technique that is successful on dust bowls. It just won't stand up elsewhere..It might be good for the sport to have some variety but its no good for Indian cricket. What ends up happening is that they tend to dominate at home but get smashed away from home because their techniques don't stand up to other conditions.

I don't have a problem with them preparing dust bowls for test matches if that is what they want to do (as long as they are not dangerous like the last test vs Aust) but it serves no purpose for them to do it in their domestic comp if they are just going to prepare cricketers who are unable to play outside of India.

I would debate here as the Indian team was the only team in the past who have given them a scare at their own turf.Remember Steve Waugh's last series.

Ganguly for sure has some problems,but if u remeber the series down under,it was him who got Indian team outta trouble in the first test with his blasting 153 which set the tempo for the series & come back for India.

In the past ,yes Indian cricket team have not peformed well outside the sub-continent,but please check their record since 2002 & the figures have changed for the better. :D

One cant change the soil in India,but the curators r trying their best to make the pitches which would give Indian domestic cricket enough exposure to play abroad.

Cant really praise Indian cricket team at the moment as they have just been beaten by Pakistan at home in One day series & drawn the test series which is a shame :oops: Indians dont mind losing to Aussies or whoever 3-0 or 5-0 but a loss against Pakistan is not acceptable. :evil:
An F1 Idiot!!!

Bundy
Racer
Racer

Post by Bundy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:13 pm

i do recall the close series in Aust & the brilliant performance of Dravid & Laxman & the hundred by Ganguly & double ton by Sachin. & i agree they had improved but like you said they just got beaten by Pakistan.

I still believe that they are the 2nd best side in the world but England are ranked higher because of their ability to win in other conditions. if you went through the teams, no way should England be ranked higher than India...The likes of Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman, Kumble etc etc compared with Strauss, Harmison etc. No comparison at all but for one reason or the other England are the better performed side

146th in 8'n'Pole 2007
293rd in 8'n'Pole 2006

Kapel
2004 Champ
2004 Champ

Post by Kapel » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:27 pm

bundy wrote:i do recall the close series in Aust & the brilliant performance of Dravid & Laxman & the hundred by Ganguly & double ton by Sachin. & i agree they had improved but like you said they just got beaten by Pakistan.

I still believe that they are the 2nd best side in the world but England are ranked higher because of their ability to win in other conditions. if you went through the teams, no way should England be ranked higher than India...The likes of Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman, Kumble etc etc compared with Strauss, Harmison etc. No comparison at all but for one reason or the other England are the better performed side
England are ranked higher for a reason & that reason u've stated.On paper Indians have the best batting line-up,but for the past 6 months its been on paper only :cry: We deserve to be in the place we are. :evil:
Indians will get back into their grove of being the 2nd best if not the best in mayb a year's time.Till then i've to live with that we lost to Pakistan :oops:
An F1 Idiot!!!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:43 pm

Kapel wrote:
julian mayo wrote: Ah, I love it when your icy contenance crumbles, and the real Kappy comes bursting out. You should not save all your emotions for your wife, kids, and cricket. Let us get to know all the real Kappy :lol:

:oops: NAh,its just this bloody politics & Indian cricket & now Narain which bring out these emotions :wink: :D
How is Greg going?

Kapel
2004 Champ
2004 Champ

Post by Kapel » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:45 pm

Just landed today in India,today is his 1st Press conference...hopefully will take the superstars to task :twisted:
An F1 Idiot!!!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:02 pm

Kapel wrote:Just landed today in India,today is his 1st Press conference...hopefully will take the superstars to task :twisted:

Wrrong forum, and if ED is awake and sober :shock: we will get moved, But do not be fooled by Gregs quiet laid back manner. He is a win at all costs, damn the consequences, run over the cute squirrel, I am late sort of guy :!:

Kapel
2004 Champ
2004 Champ

Post by Kapel » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:20 pm

julian mayo wrote:
Kapel wrote:Just landed today in India,today is his 1st Press conference...hopefully will take the superstars to task :twisted:

Wrrong forum, and if ED is awake and sober :shock: we will get moved, But do not be fooled by Gregs quiet laid back manner. He is a win at all costs, damn the consequences, run over the cute squirrel, I am late sort of guy :!:
I hope so,i dont mind even if he drops Sachin in a match or two :twisted:
Yes wrong forum :oops: ..lets run before Ed wakes up :wink:
An F1 Idiot!!!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:27 pm

Kapel wrote:
julian mayo wrote:

I hope so,i dont mind even if he drops Sachin in a match or two :twisted:
Yes wrong forum :oops: ..lets run before Ed wakes up :wink:

On tippy toes, do not let the candle blow out :wink:

Kapel
2004 Champ
2004 Champ

Post by Kapel » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:59 pm

I think Ed wake up with all the (Lap :wink: )dancing u did with that dancer :wink:
See v r thrown out of that thread to this stupid thread called "Anything Cricket" :twisted: :lol:
An F1 Idiot!!!