KERS surpise in 2010??

After some help or advice on a Formula 1 related topic ? Ask here!

Moderator: Ed

someguy
Getting Started
Getting Started

KERS surpise in 2010??

Post by someguy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:05 am

hello there.

Though FOTA all "agreed" not to use KERS in 2010 so as not to replicate the uh... badness of the 2009 season. Not longer than a while ago i read somewhere i can't remember, that Mclaren would continue using their KERS technology, even with the extra 15Kg weight the FIA enforce, it may have been just a rumour.

Has anyone else heard if any teams are using KERS next year? Ofcourse, the FIA have not ruled it out in their new regulations, and Formula 1 is an unscrupulous business at best and well... business is business.

Cheers fellas.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:42 pm

Hello,

No team has announced the use of KERS for next year. All the FOTA teams have agreed not to use KERS.

There is however talk about the possibility of re-introducing a 'standard' KERS in 2011 or 2012

someguy
Getting Started
Getting Started

KERS

Post by someguy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:39 am

thanks Ed.

it must have been a rumour on some site. though noone will really know until the season starts...

I'd like the FIA to go ahead with the plan for a standardised KERS in 2011, so long as the whole grid have it, i think it would really make races more interesting. Now more than ever, since the twin-deck diffuser practically destroys slipstreaming, a little pull to the side and push of a button would make for much more overtaking.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:17 am

There is no doubt that the engine formula will change over the next few years with a clear direction towards 'greener' power. Current engines are homologated until 2012 but beyond that a new engine formula will be adopted and if all the teams agree, that could be brought forward a year perhaps.

KERS will most likley be a part as well as engines that run on biodiesel perhaps ?

KERS did introduce a new aspect to racing in 2009 but it was highlighted more because some cars had it and some didn't. When all the cars have them (particularly if they are all the same unit), we won't see much difference to the 'normal' racing that we see. Still it is a good thing to regenerate energy

Dano
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by Dano » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:16 am

I personally would like to see KERS return in the future. Its a good idea but it would have to be in all cars to be worth while.

I agree with Ed Biodiesel would be a good idea with the green culture we currently have. But i would take it one step further, Biodiesel in a small engine eg 1.8ltr with a turbo. Of course these would have to limited to set amount of boost to prevent the issues of the turbo era.