2009 IRL Team Reports: KV Racing Technology

IRL Team reports for the 2009 IRL season

Moderator: mlittle

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:51 am

SPECTACULAR DAY ENDS IN DISPAPPOINTMENT FOR KV RACING TECHNOLOGY

TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA -- JULY 12, 2009 -- Round #10, 2009 IndyCar Series season --What was shaping up as a spectacular finish for KV Racing Technology drivers Mario Moraes and Paul Tracy ended in disappointment today in the Honda Indy Toronto on the streets of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Moraes, making his first appearance on the 1.75-mile, 11-turn temporary street circuit, started 13th. From the drop of the green flag the talented Brazilian, in the #5 Azul -- Votorantim - KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone car, began patiently working his way through the field eventually settling into fifth place. Despite losing some track position to an untimely yellow flag, Moraes was still on track for a top-five finish when an incident with E.J. Viso damaged his front wing forcing Moraes to pit for repairs. Back on track and still in line for a strong showing, Moraes got collected in an incident on lap 75 which dropped him to 11th place where he finished. Moraes earned 19 points and remains in 16th place in the standings with 157 points.

"I just feel sorry for the KV Racing Technology crew," Moraes said. "They did a great job preparing the car for the race and to have it end the way it did is a shame. We were having a great race, running in the top-five easy. Then I was trying to overtake (EJ) Viso, he was one lap down and blocking everyone. I was side-by-side with him going into turn three and he broke my front wing. It really is a shame."

Tracy, behind the wheel of the #15 Ontario Honda Dealers -- Wounded Warriors.ca -- KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone machine, was having an even more sensational race. Competing in his hometown for the 17th time, the native of Scarborough, Ontario, Canada, just outside of Toronto, started 15th. He picked up an unbelievable seven positions on the first lap and then proceeded to set up and pass car after car, eventually settling into second place. Perfect pit stops, a solid race strategy and skilled driving had Tracy in position for a podium finish when on lap 65 he attempted to pass Helio Castroneves for second place. The two bumped wheels, but made it through the first of two corners. As they approached the second Castroneves car slammed into Tracy sending him into the wall ending his race in 19th place.

"It is hard to say what happened," Tracy said. "We (Paul Tracy and Helio Castroneves) were racing really hard. He was saving fuel, coasting at the end of the back straightaway. I made a move down the inside. He gave me some room, then he moved over and we hooked up wheels. It was just a racing incident. I wanted to get by and keep in touch with Dario (Franchitti). I want to thank the Ontario Honda Dealers, Wounded Warriors.ca. and all the sponsors who have help to this point, GEICO, Monster everybody who help us get to this point. I also want to thank the entire KV Racing Technology team. They did a fantastic job all weekend and gave me a great race car. I think I have shown I can run with these guys. It was just a sad way to end the day. I guess that is why they call me the Thrill."

Moraes, 20, the second youngest driver in the series, is in his second IndyCar season and first with KVRT. He made his 26th career IndyCar start and 10th on a road/street course today. Since joining KVRT for the 2009 season, Moraes has earned career high finishes on six of the 10 tracks this season, had two top-10 showings (three last season) and earned his career best oval finish placing ninth at Milwaukee. His IndyCar career best finish is seventh at Watkins Glen in 2008.

Tracy, 40, contested the second of three consecutive races for KVRT today. He made his 268th career start, sixth in the IndyCar Series, fourth of the 2009 season and third with KVRT.

In 17 starts in Toronto, Tracy has earned 11 top-10 finishes with eight top-five showings, five podiums, two wins (1993 and 2003) and one pole. Tracy previously drove for KVRT at Watkins Glen, finishing 19th, and at this year's Indy 500, finishing ninth. He will also race for the team at Edmonton. His other IndyCar starts came at this year in Milwaukee for A.J. Foyt, placed 17th, at Indy in 2002, finished second and at Edmonton last year finished fourth.

Note: Race fans were given the opportunity to make a donation and sign Paul Tracy's Ontario Honda Dealers -- Wounded Warrior.ca -- KV Racing Technology firesuit. A total of $8852 (Canadian) was collected. The firsesuit, which Tracy used in the race, will be auctioned off. The proceeds will be matched by Honda Canada and given to Wounded Warriors.ca a charity that benefits wounded Canadian veterans.

Next up for KV Racing Technology is the Rexall Indy Edmonton, July 24-26, on the Edmonton City Center airport circuit in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The race will be broadcast live on Versus at 5:00 p.m. ET.
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:39 am

KV RACING TECHNOLOGY'S TRACY AND MORAES LOOKING TO BREAK THROUGH AT REXALL INDY EDMONTON

INDIANAPOLIS, IN -- JULY 21, 2009 -- Round #11, 2009 IndyCar Series season -- KV Racing Technology drivers Paul Tracy and Mario Moraes will both be looking for breakout performances this weekend at the Rexall Indy Edmonton, July 24-26, on the Edmonton City Center airport circuit in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Tracy, #15 Edmonton Honda Dealers -- Wounded Warriors.ca -- KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone, will be making his fifth start on the 1.96-mile, 14-turn airport runway temporary street circuit and the third of three consecutive starts for KVRT. The native of Canada is coming off a spectacular, if disappointing, performance two weeks ago in Toronto. After starting 15th, Tracy was running in third place with 20 laps remaining. However, while attempting to pass Helio Castroneves for second place, the two collided sending Tracy into the wall and ending his day in 19th place.

"Obviously I am disappointed at how things ended in Toronto, but I think I have shown I can run with these guys and compete for wins." Tracy said. "The KV Racing Technology team has done a great job preparing the car the last two races. Hopefully, with the support of the Edmonton Honda Dealers, I can have another good performance in Edmonton and bring some more awareness to the Wounded Warriors.ca."

Tracy will again team with Mario Moraes in a two car effort for KVRT this weekend. Moraes, who will be making his second start in Edmonton, was also having a great race in Toronto, running as high as fifth. Unfortunately, an incident late in the contest damaged the front wing of the #5 KV Racing Technology -- Votorantim Honda/Dallara/Firestone machine, forcing Moraes to pit for repairs and dropping him to 11th place where he finished.

"The KV Racing Technology team has given me a very fast car the last two races and we have been in contention for top-five finishes both races," Moraes said. Unfortunately things didn't work out the way we wanted. The team has worked very hard and we know our time will come. Hopefully, it will be this weekend in Edmonton."

Tracy, 40, will be making his 269th career start, seventh in the IndyCar Series, fifth of the 2009 season and fourth with KVRT. In four previous starts in Edmonton he has finished in the top-five all four times with a best showing of third in 2005. Last year, after a three month layoff, Tracy "came off the couch" to compete in Edmonton. In a testament to his skill and prowess as a driver, Tracy, who started 15th, finished fourth. In addition to Toronto, Tracy has also driven for KVRT this year at Watkins Glen, running as high as ninth before spinning and finishing 19th, and the Indy 500 where he finished ninth. His other IndyCar starts came at this year's Milwaukee race for A.J. Foyt Racing, placed 17th, at Indy in 2002, finished second and at Edmonton.

Moraes, a 20-year-old native of Brazil, and the second youngest driver in the series, is in his second IndyCar season and first with KVRT. He will be making his 27th career IndyCar start and 11th on a road/street course this weekend. Since joining KVRT for the 2009 season, Moraes has qualified in the top-seven in five of the nine races (Iowa qualifying cancelled) this year, twice in the top-five, including an IndyCar career high fourth at Watkins Glen and an oval career high fifth at Milwaukee, after earning just one top-10 qualifying spot last year. He has earned career high finishes on six of the 10 tracks this season, had two top-10 showings (three all last season) and earned his career best oval finish placing ninth at Milwaukee. His IndyCar career best finish is seventh at Watkins Glen in 2008. Moraes is 16th in the standings with 157 points.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:40 am

KV RACING TECHNOLOGY EIGHTH AND 10TH AFTER FIRST DA OF PRACTICE FOR REXALL EDMONTON INDY

EDMONTON, ALBERTA, CANADA - - JULY 24, 2009 - - Round #11 2009 IndyCar Series season - - KV Racing Technology drivers Mario Moraes and Paul Tracy were eighth and 10th respectively on the combined speed charts following the first day of practice for the Rexall Edmonton Indy on the City Center Airport temporary street circuit in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Moraes, who is making his second appearance on the 1.96-mile, 14-turn airport runway circuit, had a solid first practice recording the eighth fastest time with a lap of 63.1577 seconds (112.461 mph). In the second session the native of Brazil, in the #5 Azul -- Votorantim -- KV Racing Technology machine, improved his time by more than .4 of a second to 62.7299 seconds (113.228 mph) good for eighth in the session and eighth on the combined report.

"The KV Racing Technology team had a good day of practice. The car was good we just had some under steer problems. We will work on that tonight and I think we will be able to qualify in the top-six tomorrow."

Tracy, #15 Edmonton Honda Dealers -- Wounded Warriors.ca -- KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone, is making his fifth appearance in Edmonton and contesting the third of three consecutive races for KVRT. The native of Canada started the day strong, running in the top two for most of the first practice before stopping early and slipping to fifth with a time of 62.8520 seconds (113.008 mph). In the second session, Tracy spent the first half of the 60-minute practice in the top three. During the last 30 minutes the team experimented with a change that didn't work out and Tracy ended up 10th on both the session and combined speed charts with a time of 62.8293 second (113.049 mph).

"The Edmonton Honda Dealers -- Wounded Warriors.ca -- KV Racing Technology team had a pretty good day. We didn't end up where I think the car is capable of being, but we were in the top five for the first session and most of the second. We made a few changes in the second half of the last practice, which didn't work out, but it was too late to reverse them. Tonight we will get the car back to the how it was and then I think we have a car capable of qualifying in the top-five."

Moraes, 20, the second youngest driver in the series, is in his second IndyCar season and first with KVRT. He is coming off a solid, if frustrating performance two weeks ago in Toronto where he was running as high as fifth, but an incident late in the contest forced him to pit and dropped him to 11th. Moraes will be making his 27th career IndyCar start and 11th on a road/street course this weekend. Last year, he had the best qualifying effort of his rookie IndyCar season starting 10th in his Edmonton debut. Since joining KVRT for the 2009 season, Moraes has qualified in the top-seven in five of the nine races (Iowa qualifying cancelled) this year, twice in the top-five, including an IndyCar career high fourth at Watkins Glen and an oval career high fifth at Milwaukee, after earning just the one top-10 qualifying spot all last year. Moraes has earned career high finishes on six of the 10 tracks this season, had two top-10 showings (three all last season) and earned his career best oval finish placing ninth at Milwaukee. His IndyCar career best finish is seventh at Watkins Glen in 2008. Moraes is 16th in the standings with 157 points.

Tracy is coming off a spectacular, if disappointing, performance in Toronto. Starting 15th he was running third, but had an incident with Helio Castroneves which ended his day in 19th place. Tracy, 40, will be making his 269th career start, seventh in IndyCar, fifth of the 2009 season and fourth with KVRT. In four previous starts in Edmonton he has finished in the top-five all four times with a best showing of third in 2005. Last year, after a three month layoff, Tracy "came off the couch" to compete in Edmonton and finished fourth. In addition to Toronto, Tracy has also driven for KVRT this year at Watkins Glen, running as high as ninth before spinning and finishing 19th, and the Indy 500, finished ninth. His other IndyCar starts were at Milwaukee for A.J. Foyt Racing this year, placed 17th, at Indy in 2002, finished second and at Edmonton last year.

KVRT will be contesting its fifth race in Edmonton. In four previous races, eight starts, the team has qualified in the top-10 six times with five top-five starting spots and a best starting position of third by Oriol Servia in 2008. They have finished in the top-10 three times with two top-five showings and a best finish of fourth by Servia in 2006.

Tomorrow will feature a split practice. Tracy will go out with the first group at 9:45 a.m. while Moraes will be in the second at 10:15 a.m. Qualifying is set for 3:20 p.m. and will be broadcast live on Versus.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:33 pm

KVRT QUALIFIES BOTH CARS IN TOP-10 FOR FIRST TIME THIS SEASON; MORAES QUALIFIES SEVENTH, TRACY NINTH FOR REXALL EDMONTON INDY

EDMONTON, ALBERTA, CANADA - - JULY 25, 2009 - - Round #11 2009 IndyCar Series season - - KV Racing Technology qualified two cars in the top-10 for the first time this season as drivers Mario Moraes and Paul Tracy will start seventh and ninth respectively in tomorrow's Rexall Edmonton Indy in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Moraes, making his second appearance on the 1.96-mile, 14-turn City Center Airport temporary street circuit, qualified with a fast lap of 61.5337 seconds (115.429 mph). The talented Brazilian will grid the #5 Azul -- Votorantim -- KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone entry on the inside of Row #4. Tracy, contesting his fifth race in Edmonton, qualified with a time of 61.6768 seconds (115.162 mph). The native of Canada will start on the inside of Row #5 in the #15 Edmonton Honda Dealers -- Wounded Warriors.ca -- KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone machine.

Moraes was eighth on the speed charts following Friday's practice sessions with a time of 62.7299 seconds (113.228 mph). He jumped to sixth overall this morning with a fast lap of 62.1571 seconds (114.272 mph). For qualifying, Moraes ran in the second group in Round #1 and posted a fast lap of 61.4862 seconds, which put him second in his group and advanced him to Round #2 of qualifying for just the second time in his two-year IndyCar career. In the second round Moraes was in the top-six for most of the session, which would have advanced him to the final round, the Firestone Fast Six, but fell to seventh during the closing laps.

"The KV Racing Technology car was really good, but unfortunately I made a mistake on my fastest lap, which cost me a place in the Firestone Fast Six," Moraes said. "I feel very bad for the KVRT crew and engineers. They put in a lot of hard work to give me a good car and I hope tomorrow I can have a good race and give them something back."

Tracy began the day a deceptive 10th on the speed charts after yesterday's practice with a time of 62.8293 second (113.049 mph). He spent most of Friday in the top-five only dropping back late in the final practice. However in this morning's practice he was once again among the leaders logging the second quickest lap, 61.6789 seconds (115.158 mph). In qualifying, he went out with the first group in Round #1 and dominated his session recording the fastest lap with a time of 61.5093 and advancing to Round #2 for the first time in four career IndyCar road/street events. Unfortunately, he could not duplicate the effort in the second round.

"I was happy with the Edmonton Honda Dealers -- Wounded Warriors.ca -- KV Racing Technology car," Tracy said. "I ran my fastest lap in the first round, but unfortunately the track changed between the sessions and I developed some over steer. We didn't change anything on the car, but the track changed on us. It is so tight from sixth to ninth, where I am, that we missed the Firestone Fast Six by just a tenth, which is a shame. It is super competitive out there, but I know I have a great race car for tomorrow."

Moraes, 20, who is in his second IndyCar season and first with KVRT, has now qualified in the top-seven in six of 10 races (Iowa qualifying cancelled) this year, twice in the top-five, including an IndyCar career high fourth at Watkins Glen and an oval career high fifth at Milwaukee, after earning just the one top-10 qualifying spot all last year, coincidentally a 10th here in Edmonton. Moraes, who will be making his 11th road/street course start tomorrow, has earned career high finishes on six of the 10 tracks this season, had two top-10 showings (three all last season) and earned his career best oval finish placing ninth at Milwaukee. His IndyCar career best finish is seventh at Watkins Glen in 2008. Moraes is 16th in the standings with 157 points.

For Tracy, the ninth place starting position is his best in five attempts this season and highest in seven IndyCar races. In five attempts at Edmonton he has now qualified in the top-10 three times with a best starting position of second in 2006. He has finished in the top-five in all four of his previous races in Edmonton. Tracy, who will be making his fourth start with KVRT (third consecutive) tomorrow, previously ran for the team in Toronto, Watkins Glen and at the Indy 500. His other IndyCar starts were at Milwaukee for A.J. Foyt Racing, this year, at the 2002 Indy 500, finished second and here at Edmonton for Vision Racing last year, placed fourth.

KVRT will be contesting its fifth race in Edmonton. The team has now qualified in the top-10 eight times with five top-five starting spots and a best starting position of third (Oriol Servia in 2008) in 10 attempts. In four previous races, eight starts, they have finished in the top-10 three times with two top-five showings and a best finish of fourth by Servia in 2006. This is the third time this year that KVRT has run two cars on a road/street event and the first time both cars has advanced to the second round. It is the second time in five road/street events that a least one car has advanced to the second round.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:47 pm

KV RACING TECHNOLOGY'S PAUL TRACY FINISHES SIXTH IN REXALL EDMONTON INDY

EDMONTON, ALBERTA, CANADA - - JULY 26, 2009 - - Round #11 2009 IndyCar Series season - - KV Racing Technology driver Paul Tracy finished sixth today in the Rexall Edmonton Indy in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Mario Moraes was involved in an opening lap incident with his teammate and placed 23rd.

Tracy, in the #15 Edmonton Honda Dealers -- Wounded Warriors.ca -- KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone machine, made his fifth appearance on the 1.96-mile, 14-turn City Center Airport temporary street circuit and second in a row in his native country. Starting an IndyCar career high ninth he moved into sixth place on the opening lap following the incident with Moraes and essentially remained there throughout the 95-lap contest.

"I have mixed emotions about the race today," Tracy said. "It was obviously a good race for the Edmonton Honda Dealers -- Wounded Warriors.ca -- KV Racing Technology car, but I have a bit of a heavy heart with Mario and myself touching on the first lap, which sent him spinning and I didn't realize it had put him out of the race. I feel terrible for that and it has kind of put a damper on the rest of the weekend."

Tracy went on to say, "Other than that, we had a little bit of a tire issue on the first stint and once we had the pressures right, the second and third stint the #15 car was pretty good and we just ran around, pretty much alone for the whole race."

Moraes, contesting his second race in Edmonton, started seventh. The talented Brazilian, behind the wheel of the #5 Azul -- Votorantim -- KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone picked up 12 points and is in 17th place in the standings with 169 points.

Tracy, 40, made his third consecutive start, and fourth of the year, for KVRT today. Today's sixth place finish is his best in five races this season and third best in seven career IndyCar starts behind a runner-up finish at the 2002 Indy 500 and fourth place showing here in Edmonton last year. Tracy has now finished in the top-six in all five of his starts in Edmonton. He previously ran for KVRT in Toronto, Watkins Glen and at the Indy 500. His other IndyCar starts were this year at Milwaukee, for AJ Foyt Racing, at Indy in 2002 and last year here at Edmonton for Vision Racing.

Moraes, 20, in his second IndyCar season and first with KVRT, made his 27th career IndyCar start and 11th on a road/street course today. Prior to this season, Moraes had three career top-10 finishes, with a best showing of seventh at Watkins Glen and had earned just one top-10 qualifying spot,10th here in Edmonton. Since joining KVRT he has scored career high finishes on six of the 11 tracks, had two top-10 showings and earned his career best oval finish placing ninth at Milwaukee. His IndyCar career best finish is seventh at Watkins Glen in 2008. Moraes' qualifying record has shown even more dramatic improvement. He has qualified in the top-seven in six of 10 races (Iowa qualifying cancelled), twice in the top-five, including an IndyCar career high fourth at Watkins Glen and an oval career high fifth at Milwaukee.

KVRT contested its fifth race, 10 starts, in Edmonton today. The team has now finished in the top-10 four times, two top-five showings with a best finish of fourth by Servia in 2006.

Note: Race fans in Toronto and Edmonton were given the opportunity to make a donation to Wounded Warriors.ca, a charity that benefits wounded Canadian veterans, and sign Paul Tracy's fire suits at both events. Over $28,000 in donations were made, which Honda Canada matched. The total amount donated to the non-profit charity was $56,021.

Next up for KV Racing Technology is the Meijer Indy 300, July 31 -- August 1, at Kentucky Speedway in Sparta, Kentucky.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:17 pm

MEIJER INDY 300 QUALIFYING CANCELLED...MORAES TO START 16TH

SPARTA, KY - - JULY 31, 2009 - - Round #12 2009 IndyCar Series season - - Qualifying for the Meijer Indy 300 at Kentucky Speedway in Sparta, Kentucky was cancelled due to persistent water seeping onto the track. Therefore the grid will be set by entrant points with KV Racing Technology's Mario Moraes lining up 16th.

Moraes, who is making his second appearance on the 1.5-mile tri-oval, started 23rd and finished 17th here last year. The talented Brazilian will grid the #5 Azul -- Votorantim - KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone machine on the outside of Row #8 for tomorrow's race.

"The KV Racing Technology team has shown we have a good car for qualifying on the ovals," Moraes said. "Unfortunately, we were not able to show that today, but I am confident that we can have a good race tomorrow."

The water problem was caused by heavy rain last night which built up underneath the track then leaked on to it throughout the day.

Moraes, who will be making his 17th career oval start, has shown dramatic improvement in qualifying this year. He has qualified in the top-seven on four of six ovals and in six of 10 races (Iowa and Kentucky qualifying cancelled) this year earning two top-five starting spots, including an IndyCar career high fourth at Watkins Glen and an oval career high fifth at Milwaukee. Prior to joining KVRT, Moraes had just one career top-10 starting spot and had never qualified higher than 20th on an oval. Moraes has career high finishes on six of the 11 tracks this season with two top-10 showings (three all last year) including a season high, and oval career high, ninth in Milwaukee. His IndyCar career best finish is seventh at Watkins Glen in 2008. Moraes is 17th in the standings with 169 points, but KVRT sits 16th in the entrant points.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:45 pm

KV RACING TECHNOLOGY'S MORAES VICTIM OF PIT LANE INCIDENT

SPARTA, KY - - AUGUST 1, 2009 - - Round #12 2009 IndyCar Series season - - KV Racing Technology driver Mario Moraes was having a fantastic race when he was hit twice in pit lane and finished 18th today in the Meijer Indy 300 at Kentucky Speedway in Sparta, Kentucky.

Moraes, making his second appearance on the 1.5-mile tri-oval, started 16th after yesterday's qualifying was cancelled and the grid was set by entrant points. The native of Brazil, in the #5 Azul -- Votorantim - KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone machine, was on the move from the drop of the green flag picking up six positions on the opening lap and moving into fourth by lap 18. Moraes was in fifth place when he entered pit lane for his first stop. As he began to turn into his pit box he was hit from behind by another competitor who was exiting his pit and then t-boned by a second car. The KV Racing Technology crew immediately affected repairs and got Moraes back on track, where he continued to battle despite being 12 laps down.

"I feel so sorry for the KV Racing Technology crew," Moraes said. "They worked so hard and did a great job preparing the car. I could drive it anywhere on the track. It is just hard when you have such a good car and then something happens that is not your fault and it wrecks your race. The good thing is we know we have a good car for the ovals and that is very positive for the future."

Moraes, who made his 17th career oval start today, earned 12 points and is 17th in the standings with 181. Prior to joining KVRT, Moraes had just three career top-10 finishes including a career high seventh at Watkins Glen and an oval high of 10th at Nashville. He had qualified in the top-10 just once and never higher than 20th on an oval. So far this year, Moraes has two top-10 showings including a season and oval career high ninth in Milwaukee. He has shown even more improvement in qualifying earning top-seven starting spots on four of five ovals and in six of 10 races (Iowa and Kentucky qualifying cancelled) with two top-five starting spots, including an IndyCar career high fourth at Watkins Glen and an oval career high fifth at Milwaukee.

Next up for KVRT is the Honda Indy 200 on the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, August 7-9, in Lexington, Ohio.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:16 am

INDIANAPOLIS, IN -- AUGUST 5, 2009 -- Round #13, 2009 IndyCar Series season -- KV Racing Technology driver Mario Moraes will be looking for his luck to change this weekend at the Honda Indy 200, August 7-9, at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, Ohio.

Moraes, who will be making his second appearance on the 2.258-mile, 13-turn permanent road course, has been among the fastest drivers the last two races, but the victim of some incredibly bad luck. Two weeks ago in Edmonton he was involved in an incident with his teammate on the opening lap while running in sixth place. Last weekend in Kentucky Moraes started 16th after qualifying was cancelled, but moved into fourth place after just 18 laps. However, on lap 49, he came in for his first pit stop and while entering his pit box was hit from behind by two other competitors. The #5 KV Racing Technology -- Votorantim Honda/Dallara/Firestone machine returned to the track and despite being 12 laps down, Moraes battled throughout the remainder of the contest finishing 18th and earning 12 championship points.

"The KV Racing Technology team has given me very fast cars the last two races," Moraes said. Unfortunately, we have had some bad luck and things haven't worked out the way we wanted. I really feel bad for the team. They have worked very hard, but something beyond our control seems to happen. Hopefully everything will come together this weekend in Mid-Ohio and we can have a good result."

Moraes, a 20-year-old native of Brazil, and the second youngest driver in the series, is in his second IndyCar season and first with KVRT. He will be making his 29th career IndyCar start and 12th on a road/street course this weekend. Prior to this season Moraes had never qualified higher than 10th on any circuit and never higher than 20th on an oval. Since joining KVRT for the 2009 season, he has qualified in the top-seven in six of 10 events (Iowa and Kentucky qualifying cancelled), twice in the top-five, including a career high fourth in Watkins Glen and an oval career high fifth at Milwaukee, after earning just one top-10 qualifying spot last year. Moraes has earned career high finishes on six of the 12 tracks this season, had two top-10 showings (three all last season) and earned his career best oval finish placing ninth at Milwaukee. His IndyCar career best finish is seventh at Watkins Glen in 2008. Moraes is 17th in the championship standings with 181 points.

KVRT will be contesting its third race at Mid-Ohio. In two previous races, three starts, the team has qualified in the top-10 once, an eighth placing starting position by Oriol Servia in 2008. They have finished in the top-10 all three times with two top-five showings and a best finish of fourth by Will Power in 2006. Last year the team had one of its best performances of their inaugural IndyCar season with Power placing fourth and Servia fifth.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:16 am

KV Racing statement on death of Moraes' father

INDIANAPOLIS, IN -- AUGUST 5, 2009 -- Mario Ermirio de Moraes, father of KV Racing Technology driver Mario Moraes (Mario Ermirio de Moraes Filho) passed away late this afternoon in Brazil at Hospital Beneficencia Portuguesa.

Mario Ermirio de Moraes was born August 1, 1958. He is survived by his wife, Nidia Maria Faustino de Moraes, son, Mario Ermirio de Moraes Filho and daughters Fabiana Faustino de Moraes and Natalia Faustino de Moraes.

Viewing is schedule for tomorrow, Thursday, August 6, at 7:00 a.m. at Salao Nobre do Hospital Beneficencia Portuguesa, Rua Maestro Cardim, 769, 1 andar, bloco 1 - Bairro Bela Vista, Sao Paulo.

The burial is scheduled for tomorrow, Thursday, August 6, at 3:30 p.m. at Cemiterio Sao Paulo, na rua Cardeal Arcoverde, n 1217 Bairro Pinheiros, Sao Paulo.

Statement from KV Racing Technology co-owners Kevin Kalkhoven and Jimmy Vasser:

"On behalf of the entire KV Racing Technology organization we wish to express our deepest sympathy to Senhora Nidia Maria Faustino de Moraes, Mario, his sisters Fabiana and Natalia and the entire family for their loss."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:11 pm

PAUL TRACY TO SUBSTITUTE FOR MARIO MORAES AT HONDA INDY 200

INDIANAPOLIS, IN -- AUGUST 7, 2009 -- Round #13, 2009 IndyCar Series season -- Paul Tracy will substitute for Mario Moraes, who remains in Brazil following the passing of his father, and drive the #5 Azul -- Votorantim -- KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone entry this weekend at the Honda Indy 200, August 7-9, at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, Ohio.

KVRT co-owners Kevin Kalkhoven and Jimmy Vasser said, "This is a very sad occasion and on behalf of the entire KV Racing Technology organization we extend our sympathy and condolences to Mario and his family. After lengthy internal discussions, and in consultation with Mario, we decided the best course of action was to have Paul (Tracy), who has driven for the team and is familiar with our systems and personnel, step in and drive this weekend."

Tracy said, "I want to thank KV Racing Technology and Mario for thinking of me during this unfortunate situation. It will be a privilege to drive the #5 Azul -- Votorantim entry and I want to dedicate this weekend to achieving the best result possible in honor of Mario and the entire Moraes family."

Tracy will be making his 270th career start, eighth in the IndyCar Series, sixth this season, fifth with KVRT and 12th at Mid-Ohio. In 11 previous starts at Mid-Ohio, Tracy has finished in the top-five seven times including five podiums, one win (2003) and one pole (2003). In five IndyCar starts this year, four with KVRT, he has two top-10 finishes including a season high sixth two weeks ago in Edmonton and a ninth at this year's Indy 500, both with KVRT.

Moraes, a 20-year-old native of Brazil, and the second youngest driver in the series, is in his second IndyCar season and first with KVRT. Prior to this season Moraes had never qualified higher than 10th on any circuit and never higher than 20th on an oval. Since joining KVRT for the 2009 season, he has qualified in the top-seven in six of 10 events (Iowa and Kentucky qualifying cancelled), twice in the top-five, including a career high fourth in Watkins Glen and an oval career high fifth at Milwaukee, after earning just one top-10 qualifying spot last year. Moraes has earned career high finishes on six of the 12 tracks this season, had two top-10 showings (three all last season) and earned his career best oval finish placing ninth at Milwaukee. His IndyCar career best finish is seventh at Watkins Glen
in 2008. Moraes is 17th in the championship standings with 181 points.

The Honda Indy 200 will be broadcast live on Versus at 1:45 p.m. ET

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:12 pm

TRACY SIXTH AFTER FIRST DAY OF PRACTICE FOR HONDA INDY 200

LEXINGTON, OH - - AUGUST 7, 2009 - - Round #13 2009 IndyCar Series season - - KV Racing Technology driver Paul Tracy, substituting for Mario Moraes who remains in Brazil following the passing of his father, was sixth on the speed charts after the first day of practice for the Honda Indy 200 at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, Ohio.

Tracy, #5 Azul -- Votorantim -- KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone, making his 12th appearance on the 2.258-mile, 13-turn permanent road course and fifth for KVRT, posted a fast lap of 69.1094 seconds (117.622 mph) during the 90-minute practice.

"First of all, my heart goes out to the entire Moraes family for their loss. I want to thank Mario and KV Racing Technology for this opportunity. This is not the way any driver wants to get back in the car, but I am going to use this opportunity to dedicate the weekend to the Moraes family.

"I'm really happy with the way the day went for the Azul -- Votorantim -- KVRT team. I haven't driven here since 2003, but the track came back to me right away and the team did a great job. I just hope Mario and his family are doing well. The entire team is here to do the best we can and hopefully get a great result this weekend for him and his family."

Tracy will be contesting his eighth career IndyCar Series event, albeit over three seasons, and sixth of the 2009 season. In 11 previous starts at Mid-Ohio, he has finished in the top-five seven times including five podiums with one win and one pole. In five IndyCar starts this year, four with KVRT, he has two top-10 finishes including a season high sixth two weeks ago at Edmonton.

In two previous races, three starts, at Mid-Ohio KVRT has qualified in the top-10 once (eighth by Oriol Servia in 2008). They have finished in the top-10 all three times with two top-five showings and a best finish of fourth by Will Power in 2006. Last year, in its inaugural IndyCar season, the team had one of its best performances with Power placing fourth and Servia fifth.

Tomorrow will feature a practice from 9:30 -- 10:30 a.m. with qualifying scheduled for 12:30 -- 2:00 p.m. The Honda Indy 200 will be broadcast live on Versus at 1:45 p.m. ET

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:38 am

KVRT'S PAUL TRACY QUALIFIES 10th FOR HONDA INDY 200

LEXINGTON, OH - - AUGUST 8, 2009 - - Round #13 2009 IndyCar Series season - - KV Racing Technology driver Paul Tracy qualified 10th for tomorrow's Honda Indy 200 at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, Ohio.

Tracy, substituting for Mario Moraes whose father passed away on Wednesday, qualified at 67.6129 seconds (120.226 mph) on the 2.258-mile, 13-turn road course. He will grid the #5 Azul -- Votorantim -- KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone entry on the outside of Row #5.

"The Azul -- Votorantim -- KV Racing Technology team had an okay qualifying session," Tracy said. "It's just super competitive out there. We made it into the top-12. I didn't think we would advance into the Firestone Fast Six, but I thought we would be in the top-10 and we ended up 10th. We still need to do some work on the car to make it better for the race. I want to thank Mario again for this opportunity. I just want to have a good race tomorrow for him and his family."

Tracy was sixth on the speed charts after yesterday's practice with a time of 69.1094 seconds (117.622 mph). This morning, with rain falling, he logged the 16th fastest lap, 69.5176 seconds (116.932 mph). Tracy went out in the second group in Round #1 of qualifying and posted a fast lap of 68.1136 seconds placing him fifth and advancing him to Round #2 for the second time, and for the second consecutive race in five career IndyCar road/street events. In the second round, he flirted with a top-six time, but could not break through.

Tracy has now qualified in the top-10 nine times in 12 attempts at Mid-Ohio with one pole (2003).

This is his second career IndyCar top-10 starting position and the second highest in eight career IndyCar events. Both top-10 qualifying efforts have come this year with KVRT (five races) including an IndyCar career high ninth place starting spot at Edmonton.

KVRT has now qualified in the top-10 twice in four attempts at Mid-Ohio with a best starting spot of eighth by Oriol Servia in 2008. In two previous races, three starts, the team has finished in the top-10 all three times with two top-five showings and a best finish of fourth by Will Power in 2008 (Servia fifth last year in one of the team's best performances of its inaugural IndyCar season).

The Honda Indy 200 will be broadcast live on Versus at 1:45 p.m. ET.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:38 pm

KVRT'S PAUL TRACY FINISHES SEVENTH IN HONDA INDY 200

LEXINGTON, OH - - AUGUST 9, 2009 - - Round #13 2009 IndyCar Series season - - KV Racing Technology driver Paul Tracy finished seventh today in the Honda Indy 200 at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, Ohio.

Tracy, substituting for Mario Moraes whose father passed away on Wednesday, started 10th in the #5 Azul -- Votorantim -- KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone entry. Driving a smart, patient race he moved into ninth place on lap two where he remained through his first pit stop. Taking advantage of other competitor's mistakes, Tracy moved into seventh place on lap 42 where he remained until the end of the 85-lap contest.

"First of all I want to thank Mario (Moraes)," Tracy said. "This was a good result and it is for him and his family. It was a good race for the Azul -- Votorantim -- KVRT team and I want to thank the team for all their hard work. The car wasn't super quick and it wasn't slow. It was just a good solid race and we earned solid points. Hopefully we moved the team up the pit lane a little bit."

Tracy made his 12th appearance on the 2.258-mile, 13-turn permanent road course today. It was his eighth career IndyCar start and sixth of the 2009 season, five of those coming with KVRT. Tracy has now finished in the top-10 nine times with five top-three showings including a win (2003) at Mid-Ohio. Today's finish is his fifth career IndyCar top-10 showing including two top-five performances, a career high second at the 2002 Indy 500 and a fourth at Edmonton in 2008. Three of his five top-10 finishes have come this year with KVRT including consecutive top-10 finishes at Edmonton, season high sixth, and here at Mid-Ohio.

This was KVRT's sixth top-10 finish of the season and the fourth time in four starts that the team has finished in the top-10 at Mid-Ohio (best showing a fourth by Will Power last year).

Next up for KVRT is the Infineon Indy Grand Prix, August 21-23, at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, California.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:06 am

KV RACING TECHNOLOGY'S MARIO MORAES RETURNS TO INDYCAR RACING THIS WEEKEND AT INDY GRAND PRIX OF SONOMA

INDIANAPOLIS, IN -- AUGUST 18, 2009 -- Round #14, 2009 IndyCar Series season -- KV Racing Technology driver Mario Moraes will return to racing this weekend at the Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma, August 22-23, at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, California.

Moraes, who missed the Mid-Ohio event due to the passing of his father, will be making his second appearance on the 2.303-mile, 12-turn permanent road course. The talented Brazilian, behind the wheel of the #5 KV Racing Technology -- Votorantim Honda/Dallara/Firestone machine, was among the fastest drivers in the two races prior to Mid-Ohio, but circumstances beyond his control prevented him from finishing among the leaders. In Edmonton he was in sixth place when an opening lap incident knocked him out of the race. Then at Kentucky, Moraes started 16th after qualifying was cancelled, but moved into fourth place after just 18 laps. However, on lap 49, he came in for his first pit stop and while entering his pit box was hit from behind by two other competitors. Moraes returned to the track 12 laps down, but battled throughout the remainder of the contest and finished 18th.

"First of all, I would like to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers over the past two weeks," Moraes said. "This has been a very difficult time for my family, but we are all very thankful for the support we have received. I am looking forward to getting back into the KV Racing Technology car this weekend. Racing is something my father loved and I just want to dedicate myself to being the best driver I can in his memory."

Moraes, 20, the second youngest driver in the series, is in his second IndyCar season and first with KVRT. He will be making his 29th career IndyCar start and 12th on a road/street course this weekend. Last year, in his Infineon Raceway debut, Moraes qualified 12th and finished 10th.

Prior to this season Moraes had never qualified higher than 10th on any circuit and never higher than 20th on an oval. Since joining KVRT for the 2009 season, he has qualified in the top-seven in six of 10 events (Iowa and Kentucky qualifying cancelled), twice in the top-five, including a career high fourth in Watkins Glen and an oval career high fifth at Milwaukee, after earning just one top-10 qualifying spot last year. Moraes has earned career high finishes on six of the 12 tracks this season, had two top-10 showings (three all last season) and earned his career best oval finish placing ninth at Milwaukee. His IndyCar career best finish is seventh at Watkins Glen in 2008. Moraes is 19th in the championship standings with 181 points.

KVRT will be contesting its second race at Sonoma. Last year the team qualified both cars in the top-five with Will Power starting third and Oriol Servia, fifth. Unfortunately, the race did not go the team's way with Servia finishing 15th and Power 25th.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:05 am

KVRT'S MORAES QUALIFIES 14th FOR INDY GRAND PRIX OF SONOMA

SONOMA, CA - - AUGUST 22, 2009 - - Round #14 2009 IndyCar Series season - - KV Racing Technology driver Mario Moraes qualified 14th for tomorrow's Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, California.

Moraes, making his second appearance on the 2.303-mile, 12-turn road course, qualified with a lap of 77.4730 seconds (107.051 mph). The talented Brazilian will gird the #5 Azul -- Votorantim -- KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone entry on the outside of Row #7.

"The KVRT car was good, but we had some bottoming problems which slowed us down a bit," Moraes said. "We will take a look at the data tonight and then use tomorrow's warm-up to make some adjustments. I am confident we will have a good car in the race."

Moraes was 10th on the speed charts after morning practice with a time of 78.2868 seconds (105.903 mph). For qualifying he went out in the second group in Round #1 and posted his fast lap using the Firestone alternate or "red" tire on the ninth of the 10 timed laps he ran.

Moraes, 20, is in his second IndyCar season and first with KVRT. He will be making his 12th start on a road/street course tomorrow. Moraes has now qualified in the top-seven in six of 11 events this year (Iowa and Kentucky qualifying cancelled, did not compete in Mid-Ohio), with two top-five starting spots, including a career high fourth in Watkins Glen and an oval career high fifth at Milwaukee. Prior to joining KVRT for the 2009 season, he had qualified in the top-10 in just one IndyCar event. Last year, in his Infineon Raceway debut, Moraes qualified 12th and finished 10th.

This is KVRT's second appearance in Sonoma. Last year Will Power qualified third and finished 25th while Oriol Servia started fifth and finished 15th.

The Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma will be broadcast live on Versus starting at 5:00 p.m. ET.