SNOWY'S BLOG (No Posting without the consent of the owner)

Want to relax, share an experience or just have a friendly discussion. This is the place

Moderators: cmlean, Ed

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:27 pm

Shhh.......pretend you are a koala or summat.......Snowy's abou.........yikes :shock:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Snowy
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Blog Entry

Post by Snowy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:18 pm

Honda got me thinking. . . why is it that a sport that goes against all my principles and beliefs fills me with such passion that I can with apparent ease disregard those principles and beliefs?

Is it because I am as they appear to be a total hypocrite?
Is it because I should know better but like everyone else am flawed and unable to observe my own actions objectively?
Is it because like most things they are harmless in moderation and I am unable to calculate or percieve the immoderation of motorsport?
Or is there something innate in me and human (mankind in particular) that forces us to spectate and marvel at motorsport? Something that actually helps the survival of our species?

It slowly began to dawn on me what we are actually doing when we watch motorsport. What our primitive selves might be tuning in to, how motorsport might be fulfilling a primeval prime directive. It led me to speculate that motorsport or what it symbolises is written into our DNA!

The ability to hunt effectively drove the evolution of our early ancestors. The ability of our ancestors to track, out manuvre, out last our prey honed our mind and bodies. We as a species appear frail in comparison to many other creatures, we are slower than big cats, small cats, dogs, foxes. Far slower than deer, gazelle, antelope, rhino even elephants. We are not as strong as crocodiles, leopards, our skin is weak and easily torn we have no fur to protect us from cold. We are the weaklings of the animal kingdom! Our ancestors the Bonobos or the chimpanzee could rip us limb from limb and this is not a new thing, we've been like it for millions of years!

We think of early man hunting in packs and bringing down mammoths. But the truth is far more skill, brain power and the appreciation and nurturing of the individual was involved in the hunt. Killing a mammoth was a mammoth undertaking and the skills that shaped mans evolution and DNA were not developed there. They were developed hunting deer and antelope and the way we did that is still practiced today, though in a highly honed form by the Bushmen of the Kalahari.

It is hard to believe but our frail bodies are superbly adapted to hunting down and killing antelope single handed! The men of the tribe do hunt in packs but once the prey has been identified it is a single member of the hunting party that undertakes the arduous task of tracking and chasing the antelope until it is ready to die of exhaustion. The thick hide and fur on the antelope, it's adaptation for speed of flight mean that it retains heat, it is unable to sweat. Conversly our thin flesh means that we can lose heat easily and sweat. We have opposable thumbs and larger brains so we can carry water. And our two legged gait though slow is economical and means we can run keeping a constant pace far longer than the now overheating antelope. It looks for shade but knows it can't stay once it hears the hunter approaching, the antelope is unable to raise itself, it is already close to death and the lone hunter kills the antelope with a ritualistic spear throw. He daubs his flesh in the blood of his quarry, he drinks the blood and offers a prayer for the soul of the departed antelope. He mourns its passing as he would the passing of a brother, father or mother, for during his pursuit he had to become one with his prey. He had to think, act and unite with this perfectly honed work of nature in order to feed his family.

What's this got to do with motor racing?

Everything!
Lewis Hamilton & Jenson Button World Champions :)

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:57 pm

Unless you are leading the race, with the pack snapping at your heels.........then, the survival instincts........fight or flight intercede. Most individuals would sacrifice the world for their own survival......if only for a few more pitiful seconds. Yes, there is something of the colosseum in motor sport for many.....others draw satisfaction from watching a master at work...Senna/Rembrandt....still others marvel at the precision engineering.....The human race resists classification.

Snowy
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by Snowy » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:05 am

I here what you're saying, and I was attempting in my own inadequate fashion to make several points. The hunter is the artist, is the driver, is the carrier of the genetic material we are programmed to appreciate and laud. He encapsulates the pinnacle of our genetic endeavours to date. Through the sportsman or woman we maintain a connection with our primal desire for survival of the fittest. That's why motor racing and racing drivers attract fit women and I don't! Precision engineering can be appreciated and lauded by the same token, we are programed to admire and reward success, we may defy classification now and again but in essence we are prisoners of our DNA.

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:33 pm

Have you got a permit for talking here???? :arrow:
Holy crap on a cracker! Image
Number one idiot for 2007!!!!!
2008 Round of France winner!!! Wooooooohoooo!!!!!!
2010 Round of Britian winner!!!!!!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:21 am

Snowy wrote:I here what you're saying, and I was attempting in my own inadequate fashion to make several points. The hunter is the artist, is the driver, is the carrier of the genetic material we are programmed to appreciate and laud. He encapsulates the pinnacle of our genetic endeavours to date. Through the sportsman or woman we maintain a connection with our primal desire for survival of the fittest. That's why motor racing and racing drivers attract fit women and I don't! Precision engineering can be appreciated and lauded by the same token, we are programed to admire and reward success, we may defy classification now and again but in essence we are prisoners of our DNA.
I never was much of a hand at gathering.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:23 am

jacfan wrote: Have you got a permit for talking here???? :arrow:

yes :!: :wink:

Snowy
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by Snowy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:30 pm

This isn't going to work out as I planned is it?

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:41 pm

Snowy wrote:
Never give up hope, :D

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:28 pm

Life's tough...
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:08 pm

Snowy wrote:
Now that would have to depend on your plan. Was your plan to give permits to the select few whom you consider to be worthy of conversing with or was your plan to sit here and chat to yourself and your wabbit or was your plan to see how many people would enter the realm of snowdom even though they have been specifically told not to enter? I am actually not here so therefore I am not trespassing... merely questioning your motive for this thread.

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:37 pm

Us? Posting here??? No! Definitely not! Banish the thought :)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:40 pm

Julian Mayo wrote:Shhh.......pretend you are a koala or summat.......Snowy's abou.........yikes :shock:
I wouldn't pass as a koala for two simple reasons:
1. I dislike Eucalyptus.
2. I ain't cute :)

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:19 am

gkaytaz wrote:
Julian Mayo wrote:Shhh.......pretend you are a koala or summat.......Snowy's abou.........yikes :shock:
I wouldn't pass as a koala for two simple reasons:
1. I dislike Eucalyptus.
2. I ain't cute :)
While I agree that you probably would not enjoy munching on a gum leaf, I would have to disagree with no. 2. Though perhaps cute is the wrong word for someone so tall. Perhaps we could describe you as cuddly like a koala. Hopefully your eyesight is better than the average koala. :wink:

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:21 am

I wasn't posting .... er... um I was just ....................yikes.... :burnout: