No votes
Patrick Friesacher
8%

Total votes: 12

polo2028
Go Kart Racer
Go Kart Racer

Post by polo2028 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:25 am

N. Jones wrote:You could, but with six Bridgestone shod cars coming around at full speed, trying to pass say, two to four Michelin cars, the potential for disaster increases big time.
I'm still wondering why FIA didn't put on a chicanne, since 9 teams had accepted. If it was due to safety reason, I can't see why a car crashing into temporary barriers in <100mph is more dangerous than a replay of Ralf Schumacher's crash in 2004 (a car crashing into the walls at ~300mph).
2005 : West McLaren Mercedes - Juan Pablo Montoya

Bundy
Racer
Racer

Post by Bundy » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:32 am

polo2028 wrote:
N. Jones wrote:You could, but with six Bridgestone shod cars coming around at full speed, trying to pass say, two to four Michelin cars, the potential for disaster increases big time.
I'm still wondering why FIA didn't put on a chicanne, since 9 teams had accepted. If it was due to safety reason, I can't see why a car crashing into temporary barriers in <100mph is more dangerous than a replay of Ralf Schumacher's crash in 2004 (a car crashing into the walls at ~300mph).
But then why must Ferrari, Jordan and Minardi be made to drive through this chicane as well?
After all they brought tyres that stood up to the tracks conditions as per the requirements
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.......

I'm no ordinary idiot. I'm an F1 idiot!!!
146th in 8'n'Pole 2007
293rd in 8'n'Pole 2006

Kapel
2004 Champ
2004 Champ

Post by Kapel » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:55 pm

bundy wrote:
polo2028 wrote:
But then why must Ferrari, Jordan and Minardi be made to drive through this chicane as well?
After all they brought tyres that stood up to the tracks conditions as per the requirements
I concur :D which i've been doing for 3 days now :wink:
An F1 Idiot!!!

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:12 pm

I concur to your concur. Do we have an accord?
Ok, Lewis may win the WDC in 07, but Sato will beat him in 08.

Bundy
Racer
Racer

Post by Bundy » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:52 pm

do you mean accord as in agreement or honda accord? :lol: :lol:

don't mind me...not having a good day!!

146th in 8'n'Pole 2007
293rd in 8'n'Pole 2006

Kapel
2004 Champ
2004 Champ

Post by Kapel » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:02 pm

rah wrote:I concur to your concur. Do we have an accord?
I guess so :wink:
An F1 Idiot!!!

Byron Forbes
F3 Racer
F3 Racer

Post by Byron Forbes » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:06 am

bundy wrote:But then why must Ferrari, Jordan and Minardi be made to drive through this chicane as well?
But then, why should Bridgestone get data from the Indy 500 when Michelin were allowed no testing at IMS at all?

Byron Forbes
F3 Racer
F3 Racer

Post by Byron Forbes » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:09 am

Here's another thought -

Look at all the rules the FIA have in place with reguards to equality and fairness in testing. Does the data obtained by Bridgestone from Firestone at the Indy 500 breach these rules?

Bundy
Racer
Racer

Post by Bundy » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:17 pm

Michelin knew the track condition...Even though it had been resurfaced it was not different to previous years so this CANNOT be used as an excuse....Michelin haven't even used this as an excuse or even complained about it, so why are you

146th in 8'n'Pole 2007
293rd in 8'n'Pole 2006

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:31 pm

bundy wrote:Michelin knew the track condition...Even though it had been resurfaced it was not different to previous years so this CANNOT be used as an excuse....Michelin haven't even used this as an excuse or even complained about it, so why are you

Is your mother- in- law currently visiting? :lol:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Bundy
Racer
Racer

Post by Bundy » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:33 pm

and i'm not happy about it

146th in 8'n'Pole 2007
293rd in 8'n'Pole 2006

jnc
Go Kart Racer
Go Kart Racer

Post by jnc » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:14 pm

bundy wrote:But then why must Ferrari, Jordan and Minardi be made to drive through this chicane as well?
After all they brought tyres that stood up to the tracks conditions as per the requirements.
I agree, to force them to give up their advantage would have been unfair.
However, taken to its extreme, then you get what we actually had - a six car race. You can't have it both ways.

Michelin told their teams the tires were unsafe, and could not be run on the circuit as it stood. So the two choices were i) have a race with only six cars, or ii) do something to make it safe to run the Michelins. The FIA opted for i).

I still think the best option would have been to give points only to the Bridgestone teams, and run the race with the chicane. Not great, but it was better than any of the other options. If would have rewarded the Bridgestone teams (who would, let's be serious, have finished in the same order among themselves), and penalized the Michelin teams, and it wouldn't have royally shafted the fans. The Michelin teams offered this, but the FIA turned them down.

jnc
Go Kart Racer
Go Kart Racer

Post by jnc » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:20 pm

K-D wrote: flying in tires would have set a bad presedent.
Actually, Michelin *did* fly tires in - but when they tested them, they had the same problem. So there was no solution there.
K-D wrote: I place all!! the blamce on Michelin, 2 weeks ago their design concept cost Kimi R?ikk?nnen a win
I thought that what happened there was that Kimi badly flat-spotted it, and the vibration (over time) destroyed the suspension. I seem to recall that when the corner came off, the tire was intact, no?

Bundy
Racer
Racer

Post by Bundy » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:27 pm

jnc wrote:
After all they brought tyres that stood up to the tracks conditions as per the requirements.
I agree, to force them to give up their advantage would have been unfair.
However, taken to its extreme, then you get what we actually had - a six car race. You can't have it both ways.

Michelin told their teams the tires were unsafe, and could not be run on the circuit as it stood. So the two choices were i) have a race with only six cars, or ii) do something to make it safe to run the Michelins. The FIA opted for i).

I still think the best option would have been to give points only to the Bridgestone teams, and run the race with the chicane. Not great, but it was better than any of the other options. If would have rewarded the Bridgestone teams (who would, let's be serious, have finished in the same order among themselves), and penalized the Michelin teams, and it wouldn't have royally shafted the fans. The Michelin teams offered this, but the FIA turned them down.

One problem with that is, what if say Alonso took Schumacher out of the race and both were unable to finish. Because Alonso is not racing for any points it doesn't matter if he doesn't finish he just need to make sure MS doesn't get any points.

If they were going to have a "race" in that situation they should have given every Bridgestone driver 10 points each, win, lose or DNF and just race for the spectacle.

146th in 8'n'Pole 2007
293rd in 8'n'Pole 2006

jnc
Go Kart Racer
Go Kart Racer

Post by jnc » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:38 pm

bundy wrote:
jnc wrote:
I still think the best option would have been to give points only to the Bridgestone teams, and run the race with the chicane. Not great, but it was better than any of the other options. If would have rewarded the Bridgestone teams (who would, let's be serious, have finished in the same order among themselves), and penalized the Michelin teams, and it wouldn't have royally shafted the fans.
One problem with that is, what if say Alonso took Schumacher out of the race and both were unable to finish. Because Alonso is not racing for any points it doesn't matter if he doesn't finish he just need to make sure MS doesn't get any points.
But Alonso could have done exactly the same thing if the Michelin teams had adopted one of Mosley's proposed solutions, and either run slower in turn 13, or whatever.