HOW tall??

After some help or advice on a Formula 1 related topic ? Ask here!

Moderator: Ed

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

HOW tall??

Post by <T-K> » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:03 pm

I was just reading a book on all the current drivers profiles, and in that book was each drivers height, and it says that Alex Wurz is the tallest current F1 driver at 185 cm followed by Webber at 184 cm

I was wondering if anybody knew who THE tallest drivers have been? and how tall exactly do you have to be before they turn you down no matter how much money you can bring to the team??

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:51 pm

The tallest driver of recent times is Justin Wilson at 192 but I think there would be taller drivers who raced in the past when driver length was less of a restriction than what it is now.

As for a limit, there is no limit as such. It all depends on the team, the resources available and the driver of course.

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by <T-K> » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:25 am

Ed wrote:The tallest driver of recent times is Justin Wilson at 192 but I think there would be taller drivers who raced in the past when driver length was less of a restriction than what it is now.

As for a limit, there is no limit as such. It all depends on the team, the resources available and the driver of course.
So if for example someone who is 6f 7inch had the necessary funding, and also a HIGHLY impressive track record then they would be able to squeeze him into one of those cockpits or would the driver need astronomical amounts of backing in order for the team to build a specially designed cockpit?

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:02 am

I am sure if the driver is good enough, a team can make the necessary adjustments. The problem is though, how can a driver prove they are good enough ?

Take Justin Wilson for example, he really struggled to get into F1 because of his length. He got into Minardi, moved mid season to Jaguar (that was considered his break) but failed to impress and couldn't secure a drive the following year.

Certainly the taller you are the lesser your chances of making it to F1 but it isn't impossible.