The 2008 8 'n' Pole Competition Winner's Thread

The Best F1 Guessing Game!
Have a question or just want to share with us your picks

Moderator: 8 n Pole Admin

Paul Spencer
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by Paul Spencer » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:33 am

I came in fourth this year, a big surprise. I had a strong finish for the year. I started picking and not picking drivers at the right time. I received points from Vettel every time I chose him. Alonso also earned me some lucky points. Kimi burned me the most and I usually dropped Kovi if I had a better pick. I also got lucky and stopped picking Webber and Kubica near the end, though they had earned me a lot of points at the start of the season.

I like the format for the game and appreciate Newsonf1 for setting it up and maintaining it, it helps make the races more interesting.

I watch every race, some might think I am a fanatic, but I am not really. I just prefer it over any other sport, hockey and soccer a close second. I am a little concerned that F1 is losing touch with it's traditional tracks/countries, and the Western Hemisphere, no U.S., Canada and only Brazil. Spa and Monaco are the best tracks left. Bernie Ecclestone is the Anti-christ and should be squashed like the cockroach that he is.

silent bob!
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by silent bob! » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:47 am

Congrats to Texancow for winning the comp

I have been in the comp since 2006 and managed to get a few friends together to form our own little group and we all enjoy the challange of 8'n'pole and like the easy to use format. I did not unfortunately start tipping till the thrird round and gave my mate a bit of a head start but still finished 20points behind. ill be better organised this year!!!!! Watch out Varen!!!

microsystem
Go Kart Racer
Go Kart Racer

Post by microsystem » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:14 pm

I ended up in 2nd place. I was really happy with the result as the first place price is not what i wanted. I just can't afford to go to a grand prix. you know, plane tickets, accommodation and other things. So pretty happy with this.

I'm very big F1 fan, and a Schumi fan (until now) since I started watching F1 in 2001. and became Felipe fan with schumi retired.

I held the lead in 8npole for 5 rounds (from round 12 - 16) by picking Felipe Massa for pole and victory and Hamilton on Second, Kimi for 3rd. Lost the lead in the second to the last race by picking Felipe for victory and KImi for 2nd (Ferrari 1-2) and Hamilton for 3rd (Because That's what I wanted the result to be not what I think.).

I learned one thing. Pick smart and don't let the fan side of you do the picking. :D

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:24 pm

Thanks to all the admin for another great year of competition.
I was thrilled to be the winner of the French round and although not in the top 200 was still happy with my overall placing. Good luck to everyone for '09!!!!
Holy crap on a cracker! Image
Number one idiot for 2007!!!!!
2008 Round of France winner!!! Wooooooohoooo!!!!!!
2010 Round of Britian winner!!!!!!

lordkoala
Go Kart Racer
Go Kart Racer

Post by lordkoala » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:48 pm

Congratulations to all winners, especially the overall most consistent top-20 placegetters. Well done!
i won the Round of Turkey, Highest Score in a round, and equal biggest margin in a round - which all means that my overall finishing position was probably worse than what it was. Having a considerable lead at the half-way point, i then got too technical in my predictions, and suffered the consequences in the second half of the competition.
Can 2009 match 2008 - with its 7 individual winners from 5 constructors?separate driver and constructor championship winners? A "no chance" team winning a Grand Prix? pitstop exit stoplight accident? leaders of races breaking down in sight of victory?
Let's hope for a very competitive 2009 with more overtaking, and different strategies (or luck) coming into play in many of the rounds!

Getting Started
Getting Started

20th Place

Post by 2495 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:55 pm

I just love this 8'n'Pole competition
Just scraped into 20th place but this is fine by me :P
I managed to beat my son Reffro and my mate at work Road Runner
Next season we get serious and go for a top ten finish !! :D
Best of Luck to all of our group...Midgetgem

Lloyd
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Re: 8 & Pole

Post by Lloyd » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:33 pm

ruralgee wrote:I have now been in the 8 & pole competition for many years.
I find it adds a great deal of interest for me.
I finf that the format is very good and I would not like it to change.

I am very disenchanted with the current teams status and the way Bernie is holding countries to ransom so they can hold events.
Welcome ruralgee. I too agree with you. It seems that Bernie & Max think they have to constantly tinker with our enjoyment. Hate to see them paint a house. 8)
Maybe, perhaps, not sure

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Re: 8 & Pole

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:33 pm

Lloyd wrote:
ruralgee wrote:I have now been in the 8 & pole competition for many years.
I find it adds a great deal of interest for me.
I finf that the format is very good and I would not like it to change.

I am very disenchanted with the current teams status and the way Bernie is holding countries to ransom so they can hold events.
Welcome ruralgee. I too agree with you. It seems that Bernie & Max think they have to constantly tinker with our enjoyment. Hate to see them paint a house. 8)
Thanks Lloyd............I Just choked on my Wt....................... :bouncec: :bouncey: :bounce: :drink: :cheers:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

avinjaypats
2006 8 'n' Pole Top 20
2006 8 'n' Pole Top 20

Post by avinjaypats » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:08 am

congratulations to all the winners!

This season was was amazing. I had a great time..

Eagerly looking forward to the 2009 season... Good luck all.

Pats

f1-fan
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by f1-fan » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:56 am

Congratulations to all the winners.
I am an ardent follower of F1 and have been involved with the site for multiple years. Great resource for news, Great Job NewsOnF1-guys. Always finished well in the game but it is a welcome surprise to win something. Greatly enjoy the 8 'n' Pole and hope to win someday.

F1-FAN

Steph Lo
Getting Started
Getting Started

Pool winners

Post by Steph Lo » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:24 am

After only being an F1 fan for 4 years, I'm happy to have made the top 10 in the 8 'n' Pole pool. This is my first year trying this pool and I will definitely participate again. Some friends used to create their own pool but this far surpasses (no offense Din & Dom).

Congrats to all the winners and thanks to 8 'n' Pole for organizing a great pool.

Rach
Getting Started
Getting Started

Congratulations winners

Post by Rach » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:22 am

I love F1 due to the speed & excitement of the racing & this is a good competition. There are a group of us who compete so makes for a bit of fun as well with who's beating who especially with my family.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:22 am

Why not join us on the forums, guys ????? :wave:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.