mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

2009 IRL Team Reports: Sarah Fisher Racing

Post by mlittle » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:38 am

-----Dollar General Launches "Ticket to the Indy 500" Sweepstakes
Customers can win a trip to the Indy 500 to meet Sarah Fisher

GOODLETTSVILLE, TENN Apr 10, 2009
Dollar General is celebrating its sponsorship of Sarah Fisher Racing (SFR) in the Indy 500 by offering customers a chance to win a trip to the race and meet IndyCar driver Sarah Fisher. The discount retailer is partnering with AMP and Frito Lay to bring customers the "Ticket to the Indy 500" sweepstakes, which begins April 11 and ends May 10, 2009.

"Dollar General together with our friends at AMP and Frito Lay are pleased to bring the excitement of the Indy 500 to our customers through the 'Ticket to the Indy 500' sweepstakes," said Todd Vasos, Dollar General's division president and chief merchandising officer. "We look forward to sending the lucky winners to the race so they can enjoy the festivities and help Dollar General cheer Sarah on to victory."

"Ticket to the Indy 500" sweepstakes will award 10 grand prize packages that each include two tickets to the Indy 500 on May 24, 2009 and a meeting with Sarah Fisher prior to the race. Also, one $100 Dollar General gift card will be awarded each day during the sweepstakes period.

To enter the sweepstakes, customers 18 years of age or older living in Dollar General's 35-state market area can purchase any AMP or Frito-Lay product at a Dollar General store, then visit www.dollargeneral.com to enter the required information from the cash register receipt. There is no purchase necessary to win. For complete sweepstakes details and rules, including how to enter without purchase, visit www.dollargeneral.com.

The sweepstakes will be in all 8,400 Dollar General stores.

"To have Dollar General in conjunction with AMP and Frito-Lay activating our IndyCar program in all 8,400 stores is huge for our small team," said Fisher, team owner and driver. "We look forward to the opportunity of hosting Dollar General customers at the largest sporting event in the world."
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:40 pm

Sarah Fisher Racing
Kansas Preview

INDIANAPOLIS, IN Apr 21, 2009 Sarah Fisher, 28, will make her return to the IndyCar Series for the first time in 2009 to contest her sophomore season as the youngest team owner and her ninth season as a professional driver, with backing from Dollar General stores. Sarah Fisher Racing (SFR) will debut, in 2009, at Kansas Speedway for the Road Runner Turbo Indy 300 and will continue with Chief Engineer, Tom Brown.

Fisher will make her fifth start as a driver at Kansas Speedway and her first start at the track as a team owner. While this is only the team's fourth start in the IndyCar Series, last season's financial troubles have given them the experience to enter the 2009 season with a much different perspective. Just as the team debuted in the 2008 IndyCar Series, they were forced to meet the financial demands to compete in the world's largest sporting event, without the backing of their primary sponsor. With the help of fans and corporate partners, the team was able to reach their goal of competing in three IndyCar Series events last season.

Now backed by the largest discount retailer in the U.S., Dollar General has given SFR the security to enter the 2009 season without the burden of financial worries. The team also returns with Tom Brown, who will serve as the teams Chief Engineer in 2009. Brown engineered Fisher's car at Kentucky and Chicagoland Speedways' in 2008 and gives Fisher the edge she needs to compete with the best.

Sarah Fisher, IndyCar Driver and Team Owner, SFR: "We've worked so hard in the off season that I really think we are going to surprise some people. Last year, our season started at Indy and we didn't have the funding up front we needed to put a thorough car together. This year is very different, as the Dollar General car will roll off the truck and will be ready to go. We can build a rhythm leading into the Indy 500 this time. We won't have to shoulder all the troubles we had last year. All my guys, myself and my engineer will get to shake everything down at Kansas and head into Indy after, hopefully, putting a solid run on the books."

Tom Brown, Chief Engineer, SFR: "I'm really looking forward to getting back to the track. Chicagoland was the last time we were on track and the team has grown up tremendously over the off- season. The attention to detail this crew has put into this build is unsurpassed. I've had a blast working with the crew and to work with Sarah again this year is a real treat. Our partnership worked out really well last season and we want to continue to grow it to the next level and see how far we can go. Being able to be at Kansas this year allows us to see where we are strong and where we need help. This will be a huge benefit for SFR over last year because we won't spend that first week at Indy to rediscover ourselves. We're certainly stronger and I expect great things out of this group this year."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:17 pm

SARAH FISHER RACING OPENS SEASON WITH A CAREER BEST QUALIFYING EFFORT

KANSAS CITY, KS Apr 25, 2009 Sarah Fisher opened her 2009 IndyCar Series season with a qualification effort of 11th at Kansas Speedway, giving her team it's best qualifying effort in it's two-year existence. Fisher clocked a four-lap average speed of 208.543 miles per hour in her No 67 Dollar General Honda powered Dallara. Fisher had originally qualified 13th, before two entries were disqualified when they failed post-qualification technical inspections.

"To be back in the car was just like being back at home, very natural," said Fisher, who announced Direct Supply would return to her team in 2009 as an associate sponsor. "We definitely had a little more in us than what our time shows. We have been very focused on our race setup, as we want a better car for race day rather than just qualifications. We had a very solid run but the wind was definitely a factor for us coming out of Turn 3 and 4. For us, having Dollar General back is a huge opportunity to allow us to feel prepared, unlike last year when we didn't have the upfront resources. I feel the pressure of performing this year. I know I'm responsible for the team. We are paying attention to every little detail and I think that has shown with our presence at the track thus far. I'm very excited for race day, but to be honest, I'm always excited to get back in the car. For me, it feels amazing. It's like magic."

After Fisher wheeled her first lap of 73 around the track during practice, she radioed her crew to say, "I got this." It was a simple phrase that expressed exactly how Fisher felt to be back in the cockpit. She turned an impressive 9th quick practice time over the hour and a half session Saturday at Kansas Speedway, lapping the 1.5-mie tri-oval with a best speed of 210.748 mph.

"I was so excited to finally get back on track and I think the guys were just as enthusiastic," said Fisher. "We've all worked so hard during the offseason to be as prepared as possible. As a businesswoman, I'm growing and learning every day. It's everything from making sure the bus is ready to the car and all the uniforms. The one thing that really differentiates ourselves is that we have solid people who are really great at their job but are also people who really care."

SFR will return to the track Sunday morning for the final practice session at 10:00 am before taking the green flag for the Road Runner Turbo Indy 300.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:51 am

SARAH FISHER RACING ADDS A CAREER BEST FINSH TO A CAREER BEST QUALIFYING EFFORT AT KANSAS SPEEDWAY
Sarah Fisher places 13th at Kansas Speedway

KANSAS CITY, KS Apr 26, 2009 Sarah Fisher Racing (SFR) reached another milestone in their sophomore season with the IndyCar Series, delivering a 13th place finish at Kansas Speedway, beating the team's previous best finish of 14th. SFR opened the weekend 9th quick during practice, qualified 11th and brought the weekend to a close with a career best finish.

"The Dollar General crew had awesome pit stops, which really showed how hard everyone had worked in the off season. It was flawless," said Fisher, who announced the team would be adding two more races to the season with additional funding from Dollar General Stores. "We've now got a baseline, heading to Indianapolis. To be able to shake off the dust and get the team rolling at Kansas is a great opportunity for us. We know we've got homework to do. We had questions and now we have answers."

The IndyCar Series drivers faced challenges of inclement weather due to heavy wind conditions, shortly after the wave of the green flag, at the Road Runner Turbo Indy 300.

"The wind threw everyone off, but some managed it better than others," added Fisher.

Fisher rolled from the grid in the 11th position only to fall as far back as 19th, due to heavy push at the exit of Turn 4 and issues with her gearbox on restarts. She recovered and finished the race battling Justin Wilson for the 13th position.

"This is a good place for us to start," continued Fisher. "We're in a much better place than we were when the truck rolled in to the track. Having seat time in Kansas has given me the confidence I'm going to need for Indy. It's a good thing. Instead of sitting here saying, 'where do we start?', we now have a benchmark race under our belt."

SFR's Chief Engineer, Tom Brown, was also encouraged by the race.

"We definitely learned a lot this weekend, that's for sure," said Brown. "This was a good shake down race for us. We only had 117 laps for practice before the race, but Sarah still managed to bring the car home in one piece, despite the weather. The guys had fantastic pit stops and everyone worked really well together. The team is better this time around, having already completed a race before we head to Indy. We know what we missed and we know where we need to be."

SFR will return to the track on opening day at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 2:00 pm EST, to prepare for the 93rd running of the Indianapolis 500.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed May 06, 2009 9:50 am

SFR Returns to IMS to Celebrate Their One-Year Anniversary
SFR's Sarah Fisher returns to Indy with backing from Dollar General

INDIANAPOLIS, IN- May 05, 2009 Wednesday marks the one-year anniversary for Sarah Fisher Racing (SFR) for, not only hosting then presidential-hopeful and now Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, but for losing the team's most crucial asset, its primary sponsor. On opening day at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (IMS) in May 2008, SFR rolled to the grid to begin practice, becoming the IndyCar Series' first female owner/driver. Now entering their second race of the 2009 IndyCar Series season, things are quite different for the small team.

"Rolling into Indy this year after having Kansas under our belt is such a relief," said Sarah Fisher, who introduced Josh Kelly and Ryan Cabrera on Saturday night at IMS for their concert during the Centennial Balloon Festival. "To be back at Indy is always special and an honor that you can never take for granted. We are so much more prepared this time around, having backing from Dollar General, having Tom Brown as our engineer and not having to shoulder the burden of wondering if we'll have enough capital to compete."

SFR's Fisher returns to IMS where, continually, she's made history just about every year she has competed. This year, she'll attempt to make her 8th start in the Indianapolis 500, which will be the most number of starts for a woman in the 93-year history of the race.

"I was 19 when I first raced in the Indy 500," added Fisher, who finished 13th at Kansas Speedway two weeks ago. "It was so exciting, but the feeling I have going into it at 28 is so different. I've matured as a driver and as a business woman, especially with what we went through last year with our sponsor. Now I just take a step back and really see how far I've come and I can really appreciate what it took to get here."

SFR is honored to have Dollar General behind them during the 2009 IndyCar Series season. Because they are a small team, having the support of the largest discount retailer in the United States, by number of stores, allows SFR to compete with the best.

"We are so excited that this is Dollar General's first Indy 500!" continued Fisher, who begins practice Wednesday afternoon at 2:00 pm. "We have become like a little family, and we are humbled to have them by our side at the race."

The 2009 IndyCar Series season continues May 24 with the Indianapolis 500 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The race will be telecast live in High Definition (HD) at 1 p.m. (EDT) on ABC. The race will air live on the IMS Radio Network, XM channel 145 and Sirius channel 211. The radio broadcast also will be carried on www.indycar.com, with broadcast coverage summaries available at www.indycar.com and www.sarahfisher.com.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri May 08, 2009 10:25 am

INDIANAPOLIS May 07, 2009 Indiana-based Indiana Members Credit Union (IMCU), a not-for-profit financial institution owned and operated by its members, announced on Wednesday they would return to sponsor Sarah Fisher Racing (SFR) for the 93rd running of the Indianapolis 500. IMCU came on board to sponsor Fisher's No. 67 Honda powered Dallara last May 2008 and returns for their second year with SFR.

"To return another sponsor to SFR is amazing for our team," said Fisher, who announced Wednesday she would give away a 2-seater ride via her Twitter account, SarahFisher67. "Along with IUPUI and Direct Supply, IMCU joined SFR at a time when we were really hurting. Ron Collier was really pleased with the return IMCU saw from their involvement with SFR and we are really happy to have them back for a second year."

Fisher joined IMCU Spokesperson, Ken Beckley, last week in filming a commercial for IMCU, which will begin airing this month. Fisher will also appear in IMCU print ads throughout May.

"Indiana Members Credit Union is proud to once again help Sarah Fisher as she participates in the 93rd running of the Indianapolis 500," said Ron Collier, CEO of IMCU. "We wish the entire Sarah Fisher Racing team the best of luck in the month of May and appreciate her support of Indiana Members Credit Union."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri May 08, 2009 12:37 pm

Fisher Turned 90 Laps with a Best Speed of 221.655 mph

INDIANAPOLIS May 07, 2009 Sarah Fisher Racing (SFR) returned to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (IMS) for the second time under the leadership of veteran IndyCar racer, Sarah Fisher, just before lunch on Thursday morning, following a washout on Wednesday. Fisher clocked her quickest lap of the day on Lap 41 of 92, with a speed of 221.655 miles per hour (mph), under cloudy conditions in her No. 67 Dollar General Honda powered Dallara.

"Today offered us great testing opportunities and we were very thankful for that", said Fisher, who will attempt to qualify for her 8th Indianapolis 500 on Saturday, marking the most number of starts for a woman in the 93-year history of the race. "Our morning session was definitely more productive for us in the Dollar General machine. We have to keep learning and working on the car as we prepare for qualifications and, ultimately, the race. There are some things we can we do better, and those are the areas we need to focus on as we move forward."

After announcing IMCU would return as a sponsor for the race, SFR hit the famed Brickyard track, following the wave of the green flag by Purdue Basketball Head Coach, Matt Painter. While Fisher spent the first few laps getting re-acclimated to the 2.5-mile oval, her engineer, Tom Brown, radioed to let her know she was "totally flat" by Lap 2.

"It was a good first day," said Brown. "We got through a lot. We know some things we won't be doing in the future, but that's what our practice days are for."

Fisher was 10th quick, most of the day, but eventually got bumped to 18th, having not moved the needle on her speed after 1:45 p.m., fighting track conditions that had drastically changed, jumping nearly 20 degrees from the start of practice.

"Right now, we're working on race trim to mechanically free up the car," said Brown. "We drove around, most of the day, and avoided the drafts. There's little point in chasing them until after we qualify."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat May 09, 2009 11:24 am

SFR Tops Speed From Practice Day 1 at Indianapolis; Fisher Turned Just 75 Laps with a Best Speed of 222.444 mph

INDIANAPOLIS May 08, 2009 Sarah Fisher Racing (SFR) didn't take much time to best their top speed from Day 1 of practice at the famed Indianapolis Motor Speedway on "Fast Friday." SFR's Sarah Fisher clocked the Dollar General car in at 222.444 miles per hour just after 1:00 p.m., giving the team their top speed of the month, prior to qualifications on Saturday afternoon.

"It was a much better day than yesterday," said Fisher, whose best start for the Indianapolis 500 is 9th, in 2003. "We have to keep working on the Dollar General car. This is one big trial and error for us, having not tested in the off-season. There are quite a few things we are learning for the first time. We've all been working hard and we've figured out some things on the agenda for tomorrow. We're just going to see how it is goes. We've done as much homework as we can, with the track time we've been given."

Conditions were mostly the same as Day 1 of testing at the Brickyard, with meteorologist's reports of rain expected early in the afternoon. SFR made sure they were ready, should practice be delayed or cancelled, with Fisher quickly putting a 222.391 mph lap on record, by only Lap 11, of 75 for the day. By Lap 24, she had wheeled her quickest time of the month at 222.444 mph.

"We were happy with our speed today," added Fisher. "This year has been such a welcome change from where we were at in 2008."

SFR didn't get the track time they wanted on Friday, as they spent much of it in their garage for changes and a delay, due to rain. The team finally returned to the track for "Happy Hour" at 5:00 p.m., ending the day with a positive outlook heading into Saturday's qualifications.

"We're going to take what comes to us tomorrow and be happy with that," continued Fisher. "At the end of the day, we've got to start working on our car for race day and that's a whole other animal."

Fisher drew the 24th position for the qualifying lineup in her attempt for the Peak Motor Oil Poll Award, presented by Auto Zone.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue May 12, 2009 1:06 pm

Fisher Makes History with 8th Indy 500 Qualifying Attempt; With Well Wishes from Janet Guthrie, Fisher Clocks Fastest Speed of Month

INDIANAPOLIS May 10, 2009 Sarah Fisher qualified for her 8th Indianapolis 500 Sunday and ran her quickest lap of the month, during qualifying, with a speed of 222.661 miles per hour in her Dollar General machine. Fisher will roll from Row 7 in the 21st position on race day, after posting a four- lap average of 222.082 mph in her 2nd run, of 3 permitted. Appropriate for Mother's day, Fisher's mom, Reba, waved the green flag on Fisher's qualifying attempt.

"The first run was a little hairy," said Fisher, who is making her second qualifying effort at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway under the umbrella of Sarah Fisher Racing. "We just had to readjust some things from our first attempt and put in a solid run in our second time around. We were a little quicker than we were all week today, by ourselves, so I was really happy with that."

Fisher began her attempt to qualify for the 2009 Indianapolis 500 on Saturday's "Pole Day" with 16 laps during the morning practice session and, before retiring to her SFR garage for most of the afternoon, bypassing the teams original spot in the qualification line. Meanwhile, the stage was being set for the first 11 spots in the 33-car field. The team, then, returned to pit lane for "Happy Hour" after passing through the Indy Racing League technical inspection three minutes before it was set to close.

The No. 67 Dollar General crew sat in their pit box awaiting a window to do several simulated practice qualification runs. Unfortunately, the team could not find a window to practice and, instead, put themselves in line to make a qualification attempt. With a number of other competitors in line, their quest to make the Top 11 went unfulfilled, as the gun fired to end the day.

"We would have liked to have qualified Saturday, but with the weather and needing to make readjustments to the car, it just wasn't in the cards," continued Fisher.

Instead, SFR would have to wait until Sunday's 2nd Day Qualifying to gain a spot in the second group of positions, spots 12-22. The team returned to pit lane for 25 minutes of practice, turning 9 laps with a best speed of 222.289 mph, before they rolled to the qualifying line.

Fisher completed her first attempt in the No. 67 Dollar General/Sarah Fisher Racing Honda powered Dallara, with an average speed of 219.991 mph. Her four laps were: 222.661, 217.376, 220.561 and 219.116 mph. Her second laps' speed was hampered as she wiggled coming out of the short-shoot in Turn 1.

"Boy, that first run really woke me up; obviously I didn't have enough coffee this morning," said Fisher, who was first out to qualify on Sunday. "The car just had too much push in it and wouldn't take the extra speed going into Turn 1, with the wind. We then went back to our pit to make sure the car would tolerate that extra entry speed."

SFR withdrew their first qualifying attempt to try for a more consistent run. Fisher's second set of laps were 222.477, 222.230, 222.081 and 221.542 mph, giving her an average speed of 222.082 mph for her second attempt of the day.

When asked how things have changed since 2008, Fisher said, "I had yet to be in the right place at the right time for 10 years, and we are so lucky to have Dollar General by our side this year. A lot of people put their lives on the line to start a business and we were no exception. My husband, Andy, and I were committed to starting this team even though we didn't really have the means to do it. Dollar General saw us struggling and stepped in and saved us."

SFR will return to the racetrack Thursday afternoon in preparation for Fisher to make her 8th start in the Indianapolis 500, marking the most number of starts for a woman in the 93-year history of the race.

Janet Guthrie, the first woman to compete in the Indianapolis 500, called Fisher this morning to wish her luck.

"Janet told me to be smart today," said Fisher.

Just as Fisher reached the end of her press conference, she was asked what she would write on her Twitter for the day.

Fisher replied, "Thank God."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat May 16, 2009 10:39 am

Fisher and her SFR team made adjustments to the No. 67 car and clocked in at 220.193 miles per hour

INDIANAPOLIS May 15, 2009 Sarah Fisher Racing (SFR) spent their last full day of practice in preparation for the 2009 Indianapolis 500 by fine-tuning the No. 67 Dollar General machine for the "Greatest Spectacle in Racing."

SFR's Sarah Fisher began her day with a photo-op with fellow racing pioneer, Janet Guthrie, on the famous "Yard of Bricks." The two will be featured in a new book celebrating 40 years of mentoring, on behalf of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Indiana.

"It's always great to spend time with Janet," said Sarah Fisher. "She is a close friend to the team and to me."

SFR's Fisher logged 46 laps, with a best speed of 220.193 mph on her 22nd lap, placing her in the 19th position among her fellow IndyCar drivers at Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Friday. The team hit the track three separate times after making various adjustments on the car from the SFR garage. Scott Dixon was the fastest driver of the day, with a best speed of 222.799 mph.

"We've been working hard to make sure this car is as fast as it can be," Fisher said. "You can really see all of the hours and effort the guys have been putting into this car and I really think we're going to see what it can do, come race day."

Fisher qualified for her 8th Indianapolis 500 on Sunday and ran her quickest lap of the month, during qualifying, with a speed of 222.661 mph in her Dollar General machine. Fisher will roll from the outside of Row 7 in the 21st position on race day, after posting a four-lap average of 222.082 mph in her 2nd run, of 3 permitted.

The team plans to return to the track this weekend to get a few more laps in before Fisher heads to New York City with the rest of the 33-car starting field for a publicity tour.

"It was a positive day for us, today," said Fisher. "We made a lot of headway towards race day. We're going to try and get in some more practice this weekend if the weather holds out."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue May 19, 2009 1:18 am

Fisher Heads to NYC with Indy 500 Field Monday, and will Appear on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

INDIANAPOLIS May 17, 2009 Sarah Fisher Racing (SFR) spent Sunday practicing for the 2009 Indianapolis 500 and making adjustments to their No. 67 Dollar General Honda-powered Dallara, in preparation for the race next Sunday.

"We had a great practice session today and we are excited heading into this last week before the race," said Fisher, who has been Tweeting all month, via her SarahFisher67 Twitter account, and will be giving away a 2-seater IndyCar ride, prior to the big race. "We finished up our race runs today and decided we were as ready as we could be. The cons outweighed the pros of staying out for more laps, at that point. Getting in the draft and taking advantage of the tow was an item we needed to get crossed off our list today, and we did that. I'm more confident than I've been in a long time, heading in to the race weekend, and I'm very thankful to my team for that."

Fisher completed 27 laps, with a best speed of 220.780 mph. The team spent much of the afternoon working on pit stops and "in and outs" for race day.

"It was good to spend some time today getting everyone in sync after the Kansas Race," continued Fisher. "We had flawless pit stops in Kansas, so the tune-up was refreshing."

Fisher wrote history a week ago when she qualified her Dollar General machine for her 8th Indianapolis 500, marking the most number of starts for a woman in the 93- year history of the famed race. Fisher's quickest speed of the month was 222.661 mph and she will roll from the outside of Row 7 in the 21st position, come race day.

"This year means more to me as a team owner than being here for the 8th time as a driver," added Fisher. "I'm just honored every day to have the group we do, and the direction the team is going is really positive. The amount of energy and effort that everyone has put into this program is something you can't take for granted. This is the fun part, now, as we head into next week."

Fisher heads to New York City with the rest of the 33- car starting field for a publicity tour on Monday and will be appearing on Comedy Central's The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, on Monday evening (11:00 p.m. EDT) before returning to Indianapolis Tuesday after also taping FUSE TV's Top 20 Countdown (May 26, 3:00 p.m. EDT; May 29 8:00 p.m. EDT.).

"Our media tour in NYC is going to be awesome," said Fisher. "The Herald Square photo opportunity is a perfect fit for the Series giving the partnership with Macy's and iZod," said Fisher. "It's really exciting to be able to go back to NYC with the entire field and celebrate everyone's accomplishment of making the race. I'm honored to also be appearing on the Daily Show and that will be a lot of fun for me."

SFR will take their final tour, prior to the race, of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway's 2.5-mile oval on Miller Light Carb Day on Friday, May 22, before entertaining the team's family of partners for the second annual Sponsor Appreciation party at the teams Indianapolis headquarters that evening.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Thu May 21, 2009 7:18 am

SARAH FISHER GIVES HER REGARDS TO BROADWAY

Fisher Becomes Second Race-Car driver to Guest Appear on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart; Counts Down The No 1 Countdown on FUSE TV

NEW YORK May 18, 2009 Sarah Fisher envisioned driving her No. 67 Dollar General IndyCar in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade as she paraded onto Herald Square along with the 32 other drivers to line up in the traditional 11 rows of three to preview the 2009 Indianapolis 500 on Monday morning. Fisher then stepped out of the ranks to highlight a record-breaking accomplishment by appearing on Comedy Central's The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (5/18/09, 11:00 p.m. EDT) and FUSE TV's Top 20 Countdown (5/26/09, 3:00 p.m. EDT).

"There's something about New York that's exciting during May," said Fisher. "We have our heads down all month long working so hard to get the car ready for the big race that it's nice to get out and shake the dust off in New York."

The 33 drivers, in Race Day uniform with helmets, lined up as if to start the famed Indianapolis 500 mile race, just behind a yellow car that began the tradition in 1911, the Marmon Wasp and the Borg-Warner Trophy. The drivers then gathered at Calvin Klein headquarters in Times Square South, for a media luncheon fronted by iZOD's exhibit "In Pursuit of FAST: 100 Years of Indy Racing, Fashion and Design" at Macy's on Broadway.

"We had a great turnout for the photo-op and the media luncheon," continued Fisher. "To top that off, I'm really looking forward to is the Daily Show with Jon Stewart tonight."

Fisher walked into the Comedy Central studios to share with Jon Stewart her accomplishment of qualifying for her 8th Indianapolis 500, marking the most number of starts for a woman in the 93-year history of the most famous race in the world. She then counted down the music on FUSE TV's No. 1 Countdown prior to returning to Indianapolis to finish out the week of promotional appearances.

Fisher returns to the racetrack Friday morning to close out the final practice session prior to the 2009 Indianapolis 500.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue May 26, 2009 10:30 am

Indy 500: Sarah Fisher Racing race report

Fisher finishes 17th in the 2009 Indy 500

INDIANAPOLIS May 24, 2009 Sarah Fisher Racing (SFR) returned to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (IMS) Sunday to finish what they started at last year's Indianapolis 500. Sarah Fisher was taken out of last year's race on Lap 106 when Tony Kanaan collided with her No. 67 machine. In only her second year as an team owner/driver in the Indy 500, Fisher drove the Dollar General Honda to a 17th place finish, marking her career best finish at IMS.

"We had a good run today but we just didn't have Top-10 capabilities," said Fisher, who started the race in the 21st position. "We just have to learn from what we can do better and come back next year."

The team returned to redeem their misfortune from last year's race by completing all 200 laps at the famed 2.5-mile oval. Fisher avoided several crashes, beginning with a Lap 1 incident involving Mario Moraes. Anchored by seven flawless pit stops, Fisher drove as high as 14th and maintained that position until the team's final pit stop on Lap 179. The team made a full pit stop that included four new Firestone tires and fuel, while the majority of the field chose to stay out of the pits.

"We pitted at the end of the race and lost quite a few spots, when no one else really came in," said Fisher. "We could speculate what might have happened, had we stayed out there, but we didn't want to get to the end of the race and risk running out of fuel."

Fisher made history, yet again, at IMS when she qualified for her 8th Indy 500, the most qualifications for a woman in the 93-year history of the race. This year's responsibilities not only included trying for a best finish in the race, but also doing what was in the team's best interest and looking at the big picture.

"Going into Texas with four wheels on the car is pretty exciting," said Fisher. "I took some risks out there that a car owner normally wouldn't. I was a little more aggressive out there, but I always had keeping the car in one piece at the top of the priority list. I think after what we did in the Indy 500, we have some really good things to show, going into the Texas race."

Fisher's 2009 IndyCar Series season continues June 6 at Texas Motor Speedway.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Thu May 28, 2009 2:26 pm

Fisher follows in the footsteps of Tony Kanaan, Sam Hornish Jr., and 2009 Indy 500 winner Helio Castroneves

INDIANAPOLIS May 25, 2009 Dollar General driver Sarah Fisher was selected as this year's recipient of the Scott Brayton Driver's Trophy Award, presented annually to the driver best exemplifying the character and racing spirit of the late driver Scott Brayton. Fisher received the award at the 2009 Indianapolis 500 victory banquet on May 25. The Scott Brayton Drivers Trophy is voted on by local, national and international media attending the race.

"I cannot believe I am receiving this award," said Fisher, who will count down the most current musical hits on FUSE TV's No. 1 Countdown Tuesday at 3 p.m. EDT. "This is such a huge honor for me. Thank you very much."

Brayton, a 14-time Indianapolis 500 starter, was killed in a practice crash in May 1996 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway just days after winning his second consecutive Indianapolis 500 pole.

Fisher qualified for her eighth Indianapolis 500 on May 10, 2009, and started from the outside of Row 7 on Memorial Day weekend, marking the most number of starts for a women in the 93-year history of the race. Fisher advanced four positions in Sunday's race to finish 17th, her career-best Indy 500 finish.

"I was really happy for all the guys on the team and to bring the Dollar General No. 67 home with four wheels, was huge for our small team" said Fisher. "Most people probably thought we wouldn't be back after last year, but I hope we've given people that extra hope in their own lives to keep moving forward regardless of the obstacles they encounter.

That extra hope was passed along to Fisher and her team when she was awarded the prestigious Scott Brayton Drivers Trophy. John Paul Jr. was the first recipient of the award in 1997 followed by Roberto Guerrero, Eliseo Salazar, 1998 Indianapolis 500 winner Eddie Cheever Jr., Davey Hamilton, 1990 and 97' Indianapolis 500 winner Arie Luyendyk, 1996 Indianapolis 500 winner Buddy Lazier, 2001, 02' and 09' Indianapolis 500 winner Helio Castroneves, 1999 Indianapolis 500 winner Kenny Brack, 2006 Indianapolis 500 winner, Sam Hornish Jr., Tony Kanaan and Vitory Meira.

"I'm honored to follow in the footsteps of those that have came before me," continued Fisher.

Fisher's 2009 IndyCar Series season continues June 6 at Texas Motor Speedway.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:31 am

Texas: Sarah Fisher Racing preview

FISHER TAKES ON THE LONE STAR STATE
Fisher prepares for her 3rd race of the 2009 season at Texas Motor Speedway

INDIANAPOLIS Jun 02, 2009 Sarah Fisher Racing (SFR) will make their first start at Texas Motor Speedway (TMS) this weekend for the Bombardier Learjet 550, while team owner, Sarah Fisher, will be making her 10th start at TMS on Saturday evening. The race takes place at the quad-oval (TMS) track in Denton County, Texas.

Fisher returns to her roots at the 1.5-mile racetrack, where she began her IndyCar Series career in 1999. Her best qualifying effort at TMS is 9th, in 2002. Five years later, Fisher completed her best finish of 10th place at the speedway. Coming back to the track as, not only a veteran of the sport, but as a team owner has special significance to the driver.

"I'm really excited about returning to Texas this year," said Fisher, who received the Scott Brayton Driver's Trophy for the 2009 Indianapolis 500. "I never dreamed, when I made my first IndyCar Series start at TMS 10 years ago, that I would return one day as a team owner. I'm looking to put a good finish on the books at TMS and I'm confident that I'll be going there in one of the better race cars I've ever been in."

Texas was not part of Fisher's original line-up for the team's 2009 season. Fisher's primary sponsor, Dollar General, added the additional race to Fisher's abbreviated 2009 IndyCar Series schedule, as well as a race in Miami, after seeing the value of adding them to SFR's program. Fisher's current line-up includes six Superspeedway events.

"Dollar General helping us get to Texas has really been a testament to how much this small team has grown in just our second year of existence," said Fisher. "We doubled the number of races we competed in last year. For a small company like ours to see one hundred percent growth in this kind of economy is truly humbling, and we have an amazing family of partners backing us up all the way."

Fisher will compete in Texas after her record-breaking month of May in Indianapolis. Fisher made history last month when she qualified for her eighth Indianapolis 500, marking the most number of starts for a woman in the 93-year history of the famed race. She also was the only owner/driver in the 33-car field and completed a best finish of 17th at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway after qualifying 21st.

TMS has its own pioneer in the sport of racing. This can be found in track president, Eddie Gossage. Gossage's management style is one that is mimicked by many other motorsport tracks. He was the first to introduce Personal Seat Licenses and season tickets. His stance on allowing fans to bring their own coolers to the track, even when Texas law restricted the track from selling alcohol as a result, has made him a favorite among fans. Gossage also won IndyCar Series Promoter of the Year during his presidency at TMS.

"Eddie is so good for this sport," Fisher said. "He's constantly promoting our series and we all really appreciate what TMS has done for racing."

Fisher's 2009 IndyCar Series season continues June 6 at Texas Motor Speedway. The race will be telecast live in High Definition (HD) at 9 p.m. (EDT) on VERSUS. The race will air live on the IMS Radio Network, XM channel 145 and Sirius channel 211. The radio broadcast also will be carried on www.indycar.com, with broadcast coverage summaries available at www.indycar.com and www.sarahfisher.com.