2009 IRL Team Reports: Dreyer & Reinbold Racing

IRL Team reports for the 2009 IRL season

Moderator: mlittle

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue May 12, 2009 1:09 pm

Indianapolis, IN (May 10, 2009) -- At 9am, the Indiana sunshine was brilliant coming into the Indianapolis Motor Speedway over the Turn 2 Grandstands with a light wind and a cloudless sky. By 12 Noon, the calm had turned to the stormy sea of emotions known as Indy 500 Qualifications.

For Davey Hamilton, the bright promise of having a quick qualifying run and placing him in the top 15 speed chase became a nerve racking day of hanging on. His four lap average of 221.082 places him in the 22nd starting position on the provisional starting lineup. After a frustrating day for his Dreyer & Reinbold teammates, the HP "Touch the Future Now" Honda Dallara was the only one of the four car stable to survive Qualification Day 2.

"The most important thing is that we are in today. It's very difficult to do a one-month program and be competitive since these guys are in the car week in and week out with their engineers and crew. This race is what made me get healthy again and I don't know if I would have had the drive to recover because this race means everything to me."

The team will take advantage of the down time this week to work on new setups and potentially find a little more speed while working on a competitive race day strategy.

"I'm working with a technology company using the "Touch the Future Now" campaign and it only makes sense that we would use technology to deliver our message for our sponsors", said Hamilton. "We'll have audio blogs and text blasts in addition to the traditional press releases that our team is creating for all of our fans."

Along with Davey Hamilton, Dreyer & Reinbold Racing is fielding three other entries in the Indianapolis 500 this year with Mike Conway, John Andretti and Milka Duno.

Davey and the HP Team will be back on track Thursday between 12pm and 6pm EST as they prepare for the 93rd running of the Indy 500.
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Thu May 14, 2009 10:46 am

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Driver Mike Conway released from Methodist Hospital

Indianapolis, IN (May 11, 2009) - Dreyer & Reinbold Racing driver Mike Conway has been released from Methodist Hospital. He had been admitted in good condition following a crash during practice on May 10.

Due to a mild concussion, Conway will not be medically cleared to drive until he is evaluated by Indy Racing League doctors on May 15. He is not expected to resume participating in on-track activity until at least May 16.

What they have to say...

Mike Conway: "I'm feeling okay. I just want to thank the safety crew and the IndyCar Series medical staff for recovering me from the car and for taking good care of me. I'm feeling much better and recovering well after one day."

Robbie Buhl, Dreyer & Reinbold Racing co-owner: "The most important thing is that Mike is okay. We will get everything back together and be ready next weekend."

Dennis Reinbold, Dreyer & Reinbold Racing co-owner: "We are very happy that Mike is okay and that's what counts. The guys have done a great job in repairing the No. 24 Purex entry and we look forward to bump day weekend."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri May 15, 2009 1:02 am

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Regroups Effort for Indy Weekend; Andretti, Conway, Duno Look For Indy 500 Qualifying Spots Saturday

INDIANAPOLIS (May 13, 2009)-- After a rough Indy 500 qualifying weekend, the Dreyer & Reinbold Racing team has regrouped and is prepared for the next four days of practice and qualifying at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The 33-driver Indy 500 field will be established this Sunday for the May 24 Indianapolis 500.

DRR had one driver, Davey Hamilton, make the top 22 qualifiers last Sunday when the Idaho veteran drove his No. 44 HP Kingdom Racing Honda Dallara to an average speed of 221.956 miles per hour. Hamilton, who was seriously injured at Texas in 2001, will be making his ninth start in the May 24 Indy 500. The former sprint car and modified racing champion has suffered through some 21 surgical procedures on his feet before returning to the Indy 500 in 2007. Hamilton competes regularly in sprint car and midget events, while also serving as one of the promoters at the Terre Haute Action Track.

For the other three Dreyer & Reinbold Racing drivers, John Andretti, Mike Conway and Milka Duno , this weekend's qualifying rounds will be critical for trio to gain positions on the 33-driver starting grid.

Andretti, seeking his tenth Indy 500 start, was close to qualifying in the top 22 last Sunday with a 221.109 m.p.h. run, but the Indy native was bumped late on Sunday. Andretti attempted to increase his 221 clocking in a late afternoon practice run, but his No. 44 Richard Petty Window World Honda Dallara hit the Turn One wall. Andretti was not injured in the mishap, but his car was heavily damaged. The car has now been repaired.

Conway, working up to speed Sunday morning in practice in an effort to make his first Indy 500, made heavy contact the Turn One wall with his No. 24 Purex Dreyer & Reinbold Honda Dallara. Conway was transported to Methodist Hospital for observation and spent Sunday night in the hospital with a mild concussion. According to Dr. Michael Olinger, medical director for the Indy Racing League, Conway will be examined Friday and is expected to be back in his car on Saturday if approved by Olinger. Hamilton is expected to shake down Conway's car on Thursday and Friday.

Duno recorded an average of 219.072 in the No. 23 CITGO DRR Honda Dallara last Sunday. The Venezuela driver looking for her third Indy 500 start this year will work to get her speed improved in the Thursday and Friday practice runs. Positions 23 through 33 will be determined this Saturday in the third round of qualifying. Bump Day is set for Sunday, May 17.

DAVEY HAMILTON, No. 44 HP Kingdom Racing Honda Dallara:

"It was a tough weekend for the team. I think we felt we had the cars to make the top 22 last weekend. But it wasn't to be. So I will help John, Mike and Milka to make the 33-driver field this weekend. Plus, I will be making race setup runs that will help us for race day. This is the biggest race in the world but things are never easy here. "

JOHN ANDRETTI, No. 43 Richard Petty Window World Honda Dallara:

"Our Window World Honda Dallara is back together and ready to run. It was tough on the crew and I want to thank them for their hard work. But now it is time to prepare for qualifying and get the No. 43 in the race. Then we can work on the race setup. I'm glad that Mike will be back and ready to go, too. We will work hard to get all three cars in the race this weekend."

MILKA DUNO, No. 23 CITGO Dreyer & Reinbold Honda Dallara:

"This is the biggest race in the world, and I want to be a part of it again. We didn't have enough speed last weekend, so we will prepare to go faster this weekend. I think we can get the speed to qualify for the race. It is such a thrill to compete here at Indy."

MIKE CONWAY, No. 24 Purex Dreyer & Reinbold Honda Dallara:

"I'm feeling okay now. I was sore on Tuesday, but I feel ready to get back into the car. I just want to thank the safety crew and the IndyCar Series medical staff for recovering me from the car and for taking good care of me. I'm anxious to get started."

ROBBIE BUHL, Dreyer & Reinbold Racing co-owner:

"The most important thing is that Mike is okay. We have everything back together and the team is ready this coming weekend. We have some work to do to have all Dreyer & Reinbold cars in the field. But we are confident going into the weekend."

DENNIS REINBOLD, Dreyer & Reinbold Racing co-owner:

"We are very happy that Mike is okay and that's what counts. The guys have done a great job in repairing the No. 24 Purex entry and the No. 33 Window World entry, and we look forward to the Bump Day weekend. We will get the cars ready for qualifying for John, Mike and Milka. We have to concentrate on getting them into the field. We will shift gears for Davey to the race setup, and we will learn as much we can off of his car. The good news is Davey's car is has the least miles. Next week, we will run Davey's car a lot and learn for the other three cars for the race."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat May 16, 2009 10:30 am

DRR Welcomes Back Conway, Prepares for Weekend Runs; Hamilton Works On Race Setups, Andretti, Duno Prepare For Saturday Qualifying

INDIANAPOLIS (May 14, 2009)-- The Dreyer & Reinbold Racing team welcomed rookie Mike Conway back to the garage area Thursday after the British racer recovered from a mild concussion suffered last Sunday in an Indy 500 practice incident at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Conway, 25, will be examined Friday morning by Dr. Michael Olinger, medical director for the Indy Racing League, for possible release on Friday afternoon. Conway spent Sunday night in Methodist Hospital for observation and was released Monday morning.

Davey Hamilton, the 22nd qualifier in the No. 44 HP Kingdom Racing Honda Dallara, made some shakedown runs in Conway's No. 24 Purex Dreyer & Reinbold Honda Dallara Thursday in preparation for Conway's return to the track on Friday.

In the meantime, Hamilton took out his regular mount for race setup and made 45 laps Thursday with a best speed of 218.977 miles per hour. Hamilton then traveled to O'Reilly Raceway Park in the evening for testing with his USAC midget car. It was a busy day for the Idaho veteran driver.

John Andretti, who suffered a heavy crash late Sunday in practice, was back on the track Thursday with his No. 43 Richard Petty Window World Honda Dallara with a top speed of 218.721. Andretti, a nine-time Indy 500 starter, was bumped from the top 22 qualifiers last Sunday after a four-lap average of 221.109 m.p.h. Andretti will attempt to qualify this Saturday when time trials open at noon on the famed two and a half mile oval.

Milka Duno, a two-time Indy 500 starter, also returned to action Thursday in the No. 23 CITGO DRR Honda Dallara. The Venezuela racer completed 39 laps with a best speed of 217.936 in the windy conditions. Duno's first 2009 IndyCar Series race was three weeks ago at Kansas Speedway as she placed 16th.

Practice continues on Friday at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the third round of qualifications set for noon on Saturday, May 16. Bump Day time trials will be Sunday to secure the 33-driver field.

"It was good to be back at the circuit to see the guys and catch up. It was also good to have Davey get a run in my car and make sure it's good to go for tomorrow if we are allowed out. I feel fine and back to normal now. For the last couple of days I felt a bit sore and achy, but that's to be expected at that speed and impact. I'm raring to go now, so let me at it. I have to get the all clear tomorrow and then I'll be ready to go."

"Our car is actually getting better for race trim. I feel like we need to gain another half a mile an hour. We are at 219 and I think we need to be at 219 and a half, so we just need to work on that. The next step is to run in heavy traffic and see what it does. I feel confident and we aren't way out to lunch, but I'm not happy with where we are at. We will make some changes for tomorrow and I think we will be okay. Mike will be in good shape too. We only ran seven or eight laps on his car to shake it down. It's very conservative for him right now. We just wanted to make sure the back is locked down so that he can gain his confidence back. The car felt good and solid. As soon as he gets in I guarantee he will be in the 219 to 222 range right off of the bat and he will be fine for qualifying."

"We need to go out and set a good platform with the car. We wanted to get me confident with the Window World Honda Dallara. We tried a totally different setup with the chassis. We didn't go all the way with it. Now, we can go all the way tomorrow with those settings. I think the car is definitely better now. We can work our way to the proper speed. We are not as rushed as last week when we tried to make the Top 22. I think we have a good car now. The crew has really worked hard to be ready."

"We continue to work on the car and make it better. We hoped to go a bit faster today, so I'm a little disappointed. We keep making a lot of changes and we will try again for tomorrow and hopefully we will be a little bit faster."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon May 18, 2009 1:11 am

CONWAY BACK ON TRACK FRIDAY AS DRR PREPARES FOR SATURDAY
British Driver Gets In 51 Laps Friday; Andretti, Duno Set For Qualifying

INDIANAPOLIS (May 15, 2009)-- Rookie driver Mike Conway was smiling Friday at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway as the 25-year-old England native climbed back into his No. 24 Purex Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Honda Dallara for Indy 500 practice runs.

Conway was cleared to drive early Friday morning after suffering a mild concussion last Sunday at a high-speed crash in Turn One on the legendary two and a half mile oval. He wasted little time getting back up to speed Friday afternoon as he prepared for Saturday's qualifying round in search of a spot in the 33-driver lineup.

Conway clocked 51 laps Friday with a best speed of 219.234 miles per hour and worked closely with his engineering staff to improve the chassis setup. Unfortunately, Conway was unable to work with the final settings the team had planned due to needed track maintenance on the famed Brickyard. The yard of bricks on the front straightaway had to be repaired before Saturday's time trials.

Conway's teammates, John Andretti, Milka Duno and Davey Hamilton, also recorded solid runs Friday. Andretti and Duno, like Conway, will attempt qualifying times Saturday in hopes of securing positions in the 2009 Indy 500, set for Sunday, May 24. Hamilton, who qualified last Sunday in the 22nd position, continued work on his race setup for the No. 44 HP Kingdom Racing Honda Dallara.

Hamilton put in 50 laps with a top speed of 219.699 m.p.h. Friday, while Andretti drove his No. 43 Richard Petty Window World Honda Dallara in 31 laps for a best of 219.551. Duno, at the wheel of the No. 23 CITGO DRR Honda Dallara, posted 46 laps Friday with a top speed of 218.367.

Practice runs are set for 10:15 a.m. Saturday with the third round of time trials scheduled to begin at noon. Saturday's qualifications will determined positions 23 to 33 in the Indy 500 lineup. Bump Day qualifying will be Sunday to secure the 33-driver field.

DREYER & REINBOLD QUOTES:

MIKE CONWAY, No. 24 Purex Dreyer & Reinbold Honda Dallara: "Today was good. Our first run was just getting back into it again and feeling comfortable with the car. For the second run we went flat around the circuit and made some setup changes. I wasn't really comfortable with the setup we had and we were able to make it back out and made some good changes for tomorrow, so I'm ready for qualifying. I just want to thank the guys for getting the car ready for me. They have done a great job."

DAVEY HAMILTON, No. 44 HP Kingdom Racing Honda Dallara: "I think we have a really good race car. I'm actually very excited. I was able to follow Will Power around for ten laps, and we were able to hold our own. We made a few other changes and it was all positive. If these conditions come back on race day, I will feel pretty confident. But, obviously, the conditions are going to be different, and we are going to keep plugging away and try things. Overall I feel a lot better today than I did yesterday."

JOHN ANDRETTI, No. 43 Richard Petty Window World Honda Dallara: "I felt that the day started out pretty good. We have been trying different things. We ran on older tires to try to get a balance, so that we can prepare for the race a little bit. But also to help us be ready for qualifying as well. We'll see what happens. We came out here with a big change that we weren't able to try out. So we will find out Saturday morning. Hopefully we can get qualified right away, if the weather permits, and get this anguish over with."

MILKA DUNO, No. 23 CITGO Dreyer & Reinbold Honda Dallara: "The car was much better today. We are headed in the right direction. The balance of the car was better and we made some changes. The conditions were good for the car. We will see for tomorrow and try to qualifying early."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon May 18, 2009 1:22 am

THREE MORE DREYER & REINBOLD CARS QUALIFY FOR INDY 500 FIELD
Conway, Andretti, Duno Join Hamilton For DRR In Third Round of Qualifying Saturday

INDIANAPOLIS (May 16, 2009)-- Co-team owners Dennis Reinbold and Robbie Buhl had to take a sigh of relief Saturday evening as three more of the Dreyer & Reinbold Racing drivers qualified for the 33-driver lineup in the 2009 Indianapolis 500 Mile Race set for Sunday, May 24.

Reinbold, working from pit lane with each of his three drivers, John Andretti, Mike Conway and Milka Duno, and Buhl, working in the Versus television booth as a race analyst, already had Davey Hamilton in the field last Sunday when the Idaho veteran averaged 221.9 miles per hour to secure the 22nd position. But Saturday was tough for Reinbold and Buhl to watch at times in the windy conditions.

However, when the 6 p.m. gun fired, Andretti, Conway and Duno had placed their respective cars in the field entering the final day of time trials Sunday. Andretti and Duno attempted early runs, but handling problems with their mounts caused the drivers to pull into the pits without completing their four-lap runs. Both returned to the track later in the day to notch positions in the field.

For Conway, the four-lap qualifying run was an outstanding performance after he suffered a mild concussion last Sunday in a high-speed crash in Turn One. The 25-year-old British rookie driver put together four solid laps of 220.366, 220.416, 220.139 and 219.576 for a 220.124 average and the 28th spot on the starting grid in the No. 24 Purex Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Honda Dallara.

Andretti, seeking his tenth Indy 500 start, drove his No. 43 Richard Petty Window World Honda Dallara to lap speeds of 220.017, 219.478, 219.582 and 218.696 for an average of 219.442 and the 31st position. Duno, in the No. 23 CITGO DRR Honda Dallara, clocked in the 32rd slot with speeds of 218.719, 218.537, 217.305 and 217.605 for an average of 218.040.

Three drivers will attempt to bump into the 33-driver field on Sunday, and Andretti and Duno will be prepared to re-qualify if necessary.

DENNIS REINBOLD, Co-owner, Dreyer & Reinbold Racing: "This is definitely one of the longer days I have spent here at the Speedway. We are in and qualified, and we are really happy to get numbers posted today. We know what we have to do for tomorrow, and it's supposed to be a nicer day. The wind was tough out there today, so if it's nicer conditions we can be more aggressive with the trim of our cars. We have more speed to go out and make the race. We wanted to start out by getting everyone in. I'm really happy with all the drivers for staying focused all day long and really stepping up when it came time to qualify. We started off a little tough with Milka and John's first runs. But we made some adjustments in practice and got back out. Mike did a great job. He ran very consistent laps and had a great line out there. It's a tough thing to qualify for your first Indianapolis 500. I know he had some nerves going in, but you have to do exactly what he did and believe in the car. I'm really proud of him."

MIKE CONWAY, No. 24 Purex Dreyer & Reinbold Honda Dallara: "I'm really happy we qualified. I was the most comfortable I had been all day. I wasn't sure what to expect going in, but, once we did the first lap and it was 220, I knew it would be good to keep the averages up. I'm pretty happy with the run and we're in. I want to thank my crew. They did a great job. Tomorrow is another day, and we will see what happens."

DAVEY HAMILTON, No. 44 HP Kingdom Racing Honda Dallara: ."We wanted to run today, but, unfortunately with all of the rain that came, we weren't able to go out. The good news is we have all the cars in the field, which is the important thing. The bad news is there are two that are real questionable. But regardless Mike is in, and I'm in solid. We will definitely go do our long runs tomorrow."

JOHN ANDRETTI, No. 43 Richard Petty Window World Honda Dallara: "Right now, we are in the show. But we are in a spot that is an attainable speed for people to capture, so we have to look at that. I think if tomorrow is a really good day, it could go much deeper than that. This has been my roughest month of May. We are working hard and we will do our best to make it all happen. We will see what happens for tomorrow."

MILKA DUNO, No. 23 CITGO Dreyer & Reinbold Honda Dallara: "This is part of our journey. Everyone is in the same place, but the important thing for us, right now, is we made it in. We will see for tomorrow. If we have to go again, it is no problem, because we a have a good car. We keep gaining speed. We wanted to have a safe car going into qualifying after our first run."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue May 19, 2009 9:33 am

JOHN ANDRETTI SURVIVES HIGH-DRAMA ON BUMP DAY AT INDY
Indy Native Qualifies For Tenth Indy 500 With Five Minutes Left Sunday

INDIANAPOLIS (May 17, 2009)-- Bump Day drama can even affect an Indy 500 veteran like John Andretti. But the Indy native shook off any nerves Sunday in last-ditch qualifying effort to make his tenth Indianapolis 500 field.

Driving his No. 43 Richard Petty Window World Honda Dallara, Andretti had not been fast enough to make the 33-driver field in his first two qualifying attempts Sunday with a best of 220.2 miles per hour with twenty minutes remaining in time trials. But a quick change by the Window World crew helped the NASCAR regular make the field in his third and final attempt.

With six minutes left in Bump Day, Andretti posted laps of 221.571, 221.393, 221.201 and 221.098 for a four-lap of 221.316 m.p.h. and claim the 28th spot in next Sunday's starting grid. Andretti's start will be his third consecutive at Indy after taking a 13-year hiatus to drive on the NASCAR circuit.

In fact, Charlotte NASCAR winner Tony Stewart even texted DRR competition director Larry Curry for advise for Andretti during the afternoon qualifying excitement. The text said, "If he is uneasy about opening the entry, ask him to let it have its head on the exit. He is a full car width off the wall on the exit binding it up."

Andretti wasn't the only Dreyer & Reinbold Racing driver to re-qualify, as rookie Mike Conway turned in a superb effort with an average of 221.417 m.p.h. and the 27th starting position in the No. 24 Purex DRR Honda Dallara on Sunday afternoon.

Earlier in the day, Milka Duno, in the No. 23 CITGO DRR Honda Dallara, recorded a solid 221.106 m.p.h. qualifying average to score the 31st position for Sunday's race. This will be Duno's third Indy 500 start.

The Sunday weather conditions were outstanding for qualifying attempts, and Conway will hoping to work on race setup after qualifying Saturday. But all three DRR drivers needed to return to the tech line and re-qualify for a spot in the field. Duno and Conway's attempts easily put them in the field, but Andretti's three tries kept the Window World team scrambling right to the end of the day.

DREYER & REINBOLD: DENNIS REINBOLD, Co-owner, Dreyer & Reinbold Racing:

"It was just a great day for us. We started out pretty methodical. We put Milka in the show first, and everything went according to plan. We then did the same with Mike. We pulled him out and then we solidly got Mike in the field. We struggled with John for a while. Toward the second run John said the car was stuck so we took some more down force off and went for it in the last run and that was great."

"I'm exhausted. I don't want to do this anymore, to be honest. Just coming down pit road, you would have thought that I won the race. I couldn't hear the crowd, but I could see them standing and waving. The fans have always been behind me at Indianapolis. The team did such a great job. We tried something different in practice today. We got advice, and it was one of those things that we couldn't get to work. We went back (garage) and took (teammate) Mike Conway's shocks and springs and put them on my car. It made the car really nice to drive. It was a nice run. I give all the credit to my teammates. I'm the old man, and I had to fight the hardest, and it's not supposed to be that way. I've always looked at these guys on the bubble on Bump Day and absolutely felt for them. I was with Marty Roth last year and the jubilation was unbelievable. I can't imagine how embarrassed I would have been to call Richard Petty and have him ask, "Where do you start?" And I don't (start). It's been a very, very tough day. I'm going to say that one is for my dad (Aldo Andretti). My dad is such a strong supporter -- I know this was a challenge that he would appreciate.."

"Yesterday, I didn't know what time I had to do; today I was sure of what time I had to do. We knew we would be quicker because it was cooler. I just had to get in the right frame of mind. I really pushed it on that first lap. We put up a good number, and then I was just trying to keep it consistent. I am getting more comfortable with the car every run. The car feels good underneath me. It was still a bit windy through Turn 1. I had to keep it flat and consistent. Hopefully we've done enough to be safely in the field."

"Fortunately we had two fuel runs going first. One was really good and the second was not as good. The most important thing was to get this team in the show. With only a couple of hours left and John was on the outside looking in, my whole team and the Hewlett Packard car chose to turn around. We were on our way out there, but we wanted to give all the Window World guys a hand and make sure his car was proper. "

"We corrected a few things on the line with Davey Hamilton, my teammate, this morning. They made the car better. You can make a fast lap, but if you are not consistent, you do nothing in qualifying. You have to keep a fast time for four laps together. They did a good job with the car. It was so great. The car was so good in practice, and you see we were faster in the practice this morning. The car was much better today. Remember that yesterday when I tried to qualify the first time, I lost the front completely in Turn 1 or 2. I don't want to see that. Today we practiced and made different changes by the engineer and it has a better balance. "

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun May 24, 2009 2:47 pm

Indianapolis, IN (May 21, 2009) -- A short week ago on Friday, May 14th Davey Hamilton had a plan: Run as many laps as possible with various race day setups to prepare for the biggest race of his life, his 9th Indianapolis 500.

Davey and the #44 Dreyer & Reinbold / Kingdom Racing Hewlett Packard "Touch the Future Now" Honda Dallara team ran over 50 laps and tried different race day variations. The next day, Davey sacrificed track time to assist fellow teammates Mike Conway, John Andretti and Milka Duno attempt to make their way into starting line-up as he did the previous weekend.

At the end of the Qualification Day 3, his teammates were in jeopardy of being bumped from the field on "Bump Day". On Sunday morning, Davey drove Milka Duno around the track in a pace car and coached her on improving her racing line. Milka found three miles an hour and safely re-entered the field early Sunday afternoon after being bumped out.

Next was assisting on Mike Conway's setup of which was compiled from Hamilton's best runs of the month. Conway qualified as one of the quickest of the day on Sunday and safely re-entered the field. Longtime friend and teammate John Andretti was bumped in and out of the field several times before turning in the "run of the day" five minutes before the final gun ended a most intense afternoon.

At the end of the day, Davey had turned an additional 40 laps over the entire weekend only to give unselfishly to his three teammates of time, advice, set-ups and invaluable support. Davey did as God would ask of us. And Davey acted as one who follows the Kingdom way of life. By giving unselfishly, a much greater reward will be received in His time.

Davey Hamilton is known for giving unto and sacrificing for the benefit of others. He has been given a second opportunity to not only walk again, but to run the Indy 500 for the third year in a row. He even mentors young Firestone Indy Lights driver Brandon Wagner, who qualified for his first Freedom 100 on Thursday. After a frustrating morning, Davey quelled Brandon's anxiety with his typical calm manner. Brandon will start 17th on the grid of 22 on Friday!

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue May 26, 2009 10:44 am

THREE DREYER & REINBOLD DRIVERS TAKE THE CHECKERED FLAG SUNDAY
Rookie Conway Runs In the Top Ten, Andretti Moves to 12th During 500 Mile Race

INDIANAPOLIS (May 24, 2009)-- Dreyer & Reinbold Racing drivers Mike Conway and John Andretti were in position to score Top Ten finishes Sunday in the 2009 Indianapolis 500 Mile Race before a late yellow flag hurt their chances.

Conway, a 25-year-old rookie from England, was the leading first-year racer for much of Sunday's 200-lap classic and turned in a sensational performance throughout his initial Brickyard race. In fact, only a long caution period on lap 173 halted Conway's chance of the "Rookie of the Year" honors.

The driver of No. 24 Purex Dreyer & Reinbold Honda Dallara, who spent a night at Methodist Hospital in downtown Indianapolis earlier in the month due to a practice incident, was racing veterans Paul Tracy, Dario Franchitti and Hideki Mutoh wheel-to-wheel for nearly 30 laps before he pitted late for fuel and tires. In fact, Conway recorded the fast lap of the race on lap 169 with a 221.919 miles per hour, only to be bettered 18 laps later by Franchitti at 222.044 m.p.h.

Conway's second fastest lap of the entire event made for an impressive debut for the Brit in only his second oval race ever. Due to the late pit stop, Conway placed 18th at the finish from a 27th starting position.

Andretti, starting his tenth Indy 500 [along with 10 Brickyard 400 starts], also turned in a tremendous drive from his 28th starting spot by driving the No. 43 Richard Petty Window World Honda Dallara to 12th on lap 131. But a restart hurt the Indy native's chances when he was forced near the wall and lost 10 positions due to dirt on his tires.

With Richard Petty watching from his pit area, Andretti fought his way back into the Top 15 with 30 laps remaining in the race. Like Conway, Andretti pitted on lap 173 for fuel and new tires and a possible late-race dash to a Top Ten slot. But track conditions had become slippery. and passing was difficult. Andretti was able to finish 19th.

Milka Duno, in her third Indy 500 race, piloted the No. 23 CITGO DRR Honda Dallara to 20th position Sunday after starting 30th. Anna Chatten, who handled the air vent on the No. 23 car's pit stops today, was the third woman ever on an "over the wall pit crew during an Indy 500 race.

Meanwhile, Davey Hamilton suffered through a frustrating day in the No. 44 HP Kingdom Racing Honda Dallara. Hamilton, who started 22nd, had a shifting problem early in the event and handling issue by lap 55. Unfortunately, the handling became worse for the popular Idaho driver and his machine hit the outside of Turn Three on lap 82. Hamilton was not injured in the mishap.

The Dreyer & Reinbold Racing team is one of two teams have three cars finishing the 93rd running of the Indy 500. Team Penske , with winner Helio Castroneves, also had three cars finish the event.

The next stop for the IndyCar Series will be the famed Milwaukee Mile, the oldest auto racing facility in North America.

"It was a little frustrating at the end. I was running P10 and I think we could have finished there. But we made a call to pit late for tires and fuel. And it wasn't the right one for the finish. I had a great chance to be the highest placing rookie today. I had a good race with John [Andretti] today. I think we deserved a better finish than we got."

"This has been a long month. Our goal was a Top Ten, and we were moving towards that end, running 12th. But, on a restart, I got pushed out to the wall and got the car in the dirt. Then everybody behind me was able to get by. It took me a few laps to clean off the tires and get going again. I got a good restart the next time and went from 22nd to 16th. At the end, we did the opposite strategy as the leaders. We took new tires and some fuel, hoping to drive through the field. But the track was just too slippery to make a move. So, we probably had a better car than our finish today. But, overall. It has been a good month. It was fun to bring the 'King' [Richard Petty] as a car owner at the Indianapolis 500."

"We had a good race today. We just lost a lap and we couldn't get it back. The CITGO team had some good pit stops today. It is always great to race in the Indianapolis 500. It is so exciting to be here. I look forward to coming back next year."

"The HP Kingdom Racing car was the same as we had on Friday in Carb Day. I got the car in the marbles and white walled the tires in Turn Three. Then I was just trying the slow the car down. And that put us out of the race. It was some hard to pass today. And, if you tried to make an outside move, it was easier to get into the marbles and the wall. It wasn't kind of day we wanted."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri May 29, 2009 11:24 am

Tomas Scheckter Joins Dreyer & Reinbold Racing in Milwaukee

Indianapolis, IN (May 28, 2009)- Dreyer & Reinbold Racing announced today that South African driver, Tomas Scheckter, will join the team's IndyCar Series effort at the fifth round in Milwaukee, Wisconsin this weekend.

After an impressive run for Dale Coyne Racing at the 93rd running of the Indianapolis 500, where he finished 12th, Scheckter proved he is ready to race more. He is currently slated to run the ABC Supply/ AJ Foyt 225 IndyCar Series Race with Dreyer & Reinbold Racing, but the team is in discussions to do additional events.

"We are excited to have Tomas join our team. We have talked to him on a number of occasions about doing something together and this opportunity came up to pair him with Mike for the weekend. We feel like we are going in Milwaukee very strong as a team," commented Dennis Reinbold, Dreyer & Reinbold Racing co-owner.

The 28 year-old native of Cape Town, South Africa made his way up the racing ladder starting out in go-karts in South Africa and then going on to compete in various racing series in Europe from 1997-2001 driving in the British Formula Vauxhall
Junior Series, the Formula Nissan Championship, won the Formula Opel Euroseries, and was runner-up in the British Formula 3 Championship. In 2002, Scheckter drove for Red Bull Cheever Racing, winning his first race from pole at Michigan. That year he also won MBNA pole awards at Texas, Kansas and Michigan and was named the Bank One co-Rookie of the year at the Indianapolis 500. The veteran driver finished career-best seventh in the IndyCar Series standings for Target Chip Ganassi Racing, earning five top-five and 10 top-10 finishes and won MBNA Pole Awards at Texas and Michigan. Scheckter competed for Panther Racing in 2004 and 2005. He finished ninth in IndyCar Series standings for Panther Racing, earning three pole positions (Homestead, Texas, and Nashville) and his second career victory at Texas Motor Speedway. In 2006, he competed for Vision Racing and finished 10th in the IndyCar Series, recording nine top-10 finishes overall. He ran for Vision Racing again in 2007 finishing 10th in the IndyCar Series and recording two top-five and nine top-10 finishes. In 2008, Scheckter competed in six races for Luczo Dragon Racing.

"I'm really happy. I've been talking to Dennis and Larry Curry, who I have had a relationship with, for a while and we have been in and out of here a couple of times. For us to put this together is great and I'm really looking forward to it. It will be good working with some people that I have worked with before," stated Scheckter.

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing will be on track this weekend for the fifth round of the IndyCar Series in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, with Mike Conway piloting the No. 24 Roll Coater entry and Tomas Scheckter behind the No. 23 Dreyer and Reinbold machine.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun May 31, 2009 11:45 am

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Gears up For Milwaukee

Milwaukee, WI (May 29, 2009) - After many ups and downs during the month of May, the Dreyer & Reinbold Racing team has regrouped and is prepared for the fifth round of the IndyCar Series this weekend in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Piloting the DRR machines for the ABC Supply/ AJ Foyt 225 IndyCar Series Race will be Brit Mike Conway in the No. 24 Roll Coater entry and new addition to the team, South African Tomas Scheckter, who will be driving the No. 23 Dreyer & Reinbold Racing car.

Rookie Conway proved last weekend that he was officially ready to take on ovals. The 25 year-old had an impressive run at the Indianapolis 500 where he scored the second fastest race lap of the race on lap 169 with a 221.919 miles per hour. A long caution period on lap 173, unfortunately, halted Conway's chance of "Rookie of the Year" honors. A late pit-stop for fuel and tires, placed Conway 18th at the finish from a 27th place starting position.

This weekend marks the first time to compete at the famed Milwaukee Mile circuit for Conway. Not to worry, the Englishman was shown the track in style. His first laps around the one mile oval was as a passenger in the Indy Racing Experience two-seater driven by his Indianapolis 500 teammate, Davey Hamilton. The veteran driver pointed out the various aspects of the track to help aid in Conway's preparation for Sunday's ABC Supply/AJ Foyt 225 IndyCar Series Race.

After an impressive run for Dale Coyne Racing at the 93rd running of the Indianapolis 500, where he finished 12th, Scheckter proved he is ready to race more. He is currently slated to run the ABC Supply/ AJ Foyt 225 IndyCar Series Race with Dreyer & Reinbold Racing, but the team is in discussions to do additional events. DRR announced on Thursday that South African Tomas Scheckter will join the team for this Sunday's race. He has competed at The Mile four times in IndyCar Series competition, earning a high of third (in 2005 with Panther Racing and '06 with Vision Racing). This weekend will also mark Scheckter's 100th race start.

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing will be on track this weekend for the fifth round of the IndyCar Series in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, with Mike Conway piloting the No. 24 Roll Coater entry and Tomas Scheckter behind the No. 23 Dreyer and Reinbold machine. The ABC Supply/ AJ Foyt 225 IndyCar Series Race will be live on ABC.

What they have to say:

Mike Conway: "It's definitely different coming to Milwaukee after running at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway all month long. It's only a mile compared to two-and-a- half, but it looks good though. It looks like it's going to be good fun racing because you've got a racing line that you run, but you can also run tighter as well if you need to overtake. Davey Hamilton gave me a ride in the two-seater, which was really good. It was my first time around this circuit and it was really helpful. He showed me what lines you can run and pointed out things like bumps in the pit lane, pit entry, pit out, and bumps on the track. It was pretty handy to be able to get a feel for what it will be like tomorrow."

Tomas Scheckter: "Milwaukee has been a good track to me. Out of four starts, I have finished third twice there. I really like the track, it's really good racing. I missed out getting to go to Milwaukee last year so I'm pretty excited. Spending a little time with the team and looking at the cars, I'm even more excited."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:35 am

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Qualified 10th and 11th for the ABC Supply/AJ Foyt 225

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (May 30, 2009) - Dreyer & Reinbold Racing had positive results for the ABC Supply/AJ Foyt 225 qualifying session in Milwaukee, Wisconsin today. The team's drivers, Tomas Scheckter (No. 23 DRR) and Mike Conway (No. 24 Roll Coater), qualified 10th and 11th respectively.

Missing this morning's practice session due to a problem with the fuel pump did not hold back South African driver Tomas Scheckter, who qualified on the outside of row five for tomorrow's race. It was announced on Thursday that the Cape Town, South Africa native would be joining Dreyer & Reinbold Racing for this weekend's event. Tomorrow will mark Scheckter's 100th race start. In 2005 and 2006, he finished in third place for Panther Racing and Vision Racing.

Englishman Mike Conway completed his third oval qualifying today. The rookie will start on the inside of row six in 11th position. Conway continues to gain confidence and looks forward to the race tomorrow. His first laps around the famed Milwaukee Mile track were yesterday as a passenger in the Indy Racing Experience with his Indianapolis 500 teammate, Davey Hamilton.

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing will be on track tomorrow at 3:30 p.m. ET for the ABC Supply/ AJ Foyt 225 which will be live on ABC.

What they had to say:

Mike Conway, No. 24 Roll Coater: "Our qualifying session went well. We worked on the car a little bit and didn't change the car much between practice and qualifying. We are in a pretty good starting position and we will work hard to get the Roll Coater car to the front tomorrow."

Tomas Scheckter, No. 23 Dreyer & Reinbold Racing: "It was good considering that we missed out on a session and that we only really had 45 minutes of running. The guys did a great job and to be in the top ten with that amount of time, I'm really happy with it. We think we have improved the car as well, so I'm looking forward to the race."

Dennis Reinbold, Dreyer & Reinbold Racing co-owner: "We had a good solid day and both cars look like they will be pretty good for the race. We had some pretty good speed and our qualifying runs were fairly consistent, so we are starting in good shape. We are starting right there at the top ten, so to move up and make a run for the win of this race is something we are definitely in line to do."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:25 am

Milwaukee: Dreyer & Reinbold Racing race report
Racing series INDYCAR
Date 2009-05-31

ABC Supply/ AJ Foyt 225 Full of Twists and Turns for Dreyer & Reinbold Racing

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (May 30, 2009)- Dreyer & Reinbold Racing's third oval of the season was full of twists and turns for the team. The Indianapolis-based squad endured plenty of action during the ABC Supply/ AJ Foyt 225 IndyCar Series race in Milwaukee, Wisconsin today.

As the green flag dropped both Tomas Scheckter (No. 23 Dreyer & Reinbold Racing) and Mike Conway (No. 24 Roll Coater) were off to a very good start. They had a clean first lap and immediately got into the groove. Scheckter gained five positions going from 10th to 5th, while his teammate, Conway, went from 11th to 13th position. Both drivers were running a steady race, but as drivers started to jockey for position it started to change on lap 58.

Rookie Mike Conway gained positions and experience during his third oval race. The Brit battled his way up the grid in the first forty laps or so, but things started to turn for Conway on lap 58. Despite battling under-steer, the 25 year old worked hand in hand with his teammate Scheckter as they fought EJ Viso and Dan Wheldon to keep their 11th and 12th place positions. As Conway was diligently trying to keep his place, he had to give room for Dan Wheldon, and unfortunately his No. 24 Roll Coater machine made contact with the marbles and he hit the wall in turn four. As a result, Conway caused the first caution and the incident ended his day early putting him in 20th position.

It was a similar story for Scheckter. The South African started off strong, but unfortunately lack of track time hindered his race result. He struggled with under-steer and fought to keep his position all race long. Scheckter maintained 13th position throughout the majority of the race and brought the DRR car home safely.

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing heads back to Indianapolis as they will have two days to prepare the cars before heading to Texas for the Bombardier Learjet 550.

What they have to say...

Mike Conway, No. 24 Roll Coater: "Today started out okay. I couldn't really move forward because I was stuck behind Tomas (Scheckter). It looked like our cars were handling similarly. Then we got caught behind Tony Kanaan and those guys and that allowed the crew behind to catch us. We then battled a bit with Viso and Wheldon. I held down around the outside of one and two and then into three and four Wheldon was going to get the corner, so I gave him room because we were struggling with under-steer through three and four. Obviously he went through and I was unable to get through the corner. I had bad under-steer and went up into the marbles and once you are on that it's like being on ice and you can't stop the car. It's really unfortunate and I feel sorry for the guys. They have worked really hard all weekend and it's a shame we couldn't finish."

Tomas Scheckter, No. 23 Dreyer & Reinbold Racing: "Firstly, I just want to thank Dennis and Robbie and everybody here at Dreyer & Reinbold Racing for coming on board as well as Matt and Larry Curry for helping me put this together. Without them I wouldn't be here. We had a good start and good restarts, but unfortunately with such limited time on the track we didn't have a good race setup. Missing that hour session yesterday is what got us. Sometimes that just happens, but to get the car to the finish, I'm happy for everybody. Hopefully we can work something out for the future."

Dennis Reinbold, Dreyer & Reinbold Racing, co-owner: "We are a little disappointed. Our cars were quick most of the weekend and we know that we have more in the cars. We will just move forward and prepare for Texas."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:07 pm

Top Ten Result for Dreyer & Reinbold Racing at the Iowa Corn Indy 250

Newton, Iowa (June 18, 2009)- A weekend off was just what the doctor ordered for Dreyer & Reinbold Racing as both drivers, Tomas Scheckter (No.23 MonaVie) and Mike Conway (No. 24 Dad's Root Beer), finished in the top ten in Newton, Iowa today. The duo finished in sixth and eighth position for the Iowa Corn Indy 250.

The Indianapolis based squad was consistently in the top ten for all of the practice sessions at Iowa Speedway this weekend. Unfortunately the weather was not on Dreyer & Reinbold Racing's side. Yesterday qualifying was cancelled due to a "weeping" track. The water was seeping up through the circuit, keeping cars from being able to run. As a result the session was cancelled and the team had to start by owners points. Tomas Scheckter, pilot of the #23 MonaVie machine started 16th today and Mike Conway, driver of the #24 Dad's Root Beer started from 19th position.

As the green flag dropped, both drivers had a flawless start. Scheckter showed that he was ready to prove the point he was unable to prove in qualifying. The South African went from 16th to 10th position in the first lap and continued to climb as the race progressed. With near perfect pit stops, Scheckter drove a good, consistent race and with ten laps to go passed Helio Castroneves to earn a sixth place result.

Experience, laps and time were the right combination for rookie Mike Conway. The Brit started 19th and he too moved his way up the field in the first lap, going from 19th to 16th position. After the first yellow he came in on lap six for fuel only. From that point on Conway just drove a solid race brining the Dad's Root Beer car home to his first top ten result of the season.

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing heads back to Indianapolis as they will have two days to prepare the cars before heading to Richmond International Raceway.

What they had to say...

Tomas Scheckter, #23 MonaVie: "It was a good race. I made up a lot of positions in the beginning and I just have to thank everybody at MonaVie. The car looks beautiful. Everyone on the team did a great job. Now we just need to go back and work a little bit harder and get the MonaVie car in victory circle."

Mike Conway, #24 Dad's Root Beer: "It was a tough race. We started from the back with what happened with qualifying yesterday. We kept it steady at the start, but even when you are trying to stay out of trouble and everything is happening around you, it makes it difficult. At the restart we just tried to gain positions, but it was hard with the bumps through one and two, because your car can get really loose, so we were just trying to hang on. Our cars were really competitive and great job to Dad's Root Beer and the guys."

Dennis Reinbold, Dreyer & Reinbold Racing co-owner: "Today it's good to get two cars in the top ten. Sixth and eighth place is a pretty good effort. We had good cars all weekend and it's really too bad that qualifying got rained out or we would have started up further in the cycle. We go to Richmond next weekend and our setups are good on short tracks, so I'm looking forward to it."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:30 am

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Ready to Race in Richmond

Indianapolis, IN (June 26, 2009) - Dreyer & Reinbold Racing proved that a break is what they needed. After an impressive run at the Iowa Corn Indy 250, the DRR team has regrouped and is prepared for the eighth round of the IndyCar Series this weekend in Richmond, Virginia. Piloting the DRR machines for the Suntrust Indy Challenge will be Brit Mike Conway in the No. 24 Dreyer & Reinbold Racing entry and, new addition to the team, South African Tomas Scheckter, who will be driving the No. 23 MonaVie car.

With three solid runs for Dreyer & Reinbold Racing under his belt, Scheckter is ready to re-visit Richmond. He proved in Iowa that he's got the speed. Despite qualifying 16th due to the session being cancelled because of the weather, the South African did not let that hold him back. Scheckter was quick straight out of the box as he went from 16th to 10th in the first lap. He continued to work his way up the grid, bringing the No. 23 MonaVie car home to a sixth place position.

As a result of his strong performance, Scheckter was nominated for the Firestone Tire-ific Move of the Race Award, for passing six cars on the outside on the first lap. Fans had the opportunity to vote on www.indycar.com this week. The winner will be notified prior to the race and will receive a $10,000 award in pre-race activities at Richmond.

He will make his seventh appearance at the 0.75 D-shaped track. The South African competed for the first time at Richmond International Raceway in 2002. He has had two top-five and two top-ten finishes at the famed short-track oval.

Conway proved in Iowa that he was officially enjoying the ovals and is ready to prove it again in Richmond. Unfortunately, due to weather Conway had to start 19th on the grid in Iowa. He didn't let that get in his way. The 26 year-old had a solid start moving his way further up the grid to bring the No. 24 car home to eighth place, making it his first top-ten result of the season.

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing will be on track this weekend for the eighth round of the IndyCar Series in Richmond, Virginia. The Suntrust Indy Challenge will be live on VERSUS.

What they have to say:

Mike Conway, No. 24 Dreyer & Reinbold Racing: "We have definitely improved and it is important that we continue to progress forward. I think come Richmond we should be stronger and that should definitely keep us in the top ten. This will be my first time to the Richmond circuit. I really enjoy the short tracks and Richmond is supposed to be shorter than Iowa, which should a challenge, but a lot of fun."

Tomas Scheckter, No.23 MonaVie: "I'm really looking forward to Richmond. Both, Mike and myself are coming off of a strong result in Iowa. We have had a lot of meetings and have the MonaVie crew and the No. 24 crew that are working very well together which helps. We still need to be better and are working hard on it for Richmond. I enjoy the circuit. We will have some meetings to make sure that we unload as good there as we did in Iowa."