IRL Team reports for the 2009 IRL season

Moderator: mlittle

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri May 08, 2009 10:25 am

Indy 500: Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Wednesday rain notes

John Andretti, No. 43 Window World Honda Dallara

"It was disappointing not to get out on the track today. I am so anxious to run with the No. 43 Window World car and this Indy 500 program. But we'll be ready when the weather permits. Overall, I was able to work on our new website, www.petty-andretti.com, and did many media interviews. These rainy days are the best for the media guys and gals. They can chase down the drivers in the garages rather waiting when they get off the track. I just hope we can run on Thursday now."

Milka Duno,, No. 23 CITGO Dreyer & Reinbold Honda Dallara

"It's too bad we didn't get to run. The Dreyer & Reinbold team has done a great job getting the cars ready for this week. It has been hard on the team with the Long Beach and Kansas races very close to Indy. It is always a thrill to come to the track here. I remember sitting in the crowd at the 1999 race and telling my friends that I want to drive in this race. Then I was able to live that dream in 2007. So it is always exciting to come here. But the rain is frustrating."

Mike Conway, No. 24 Dreyer & Reinbold Honda Dallara

"I am very glad that we got through the Rookie Orientation on Tuesday since the rain came today. We ran 52 laps and I was able to learn quite a bit about the track. It is such as big place and it has so much traditional here. Coming from road racing, it is tough to sit in the garage and wait. I am used to driving in the rain on the road circuits. So oval racing is a little different. I joked with the other drivers about throwing on some trended tires and hitting the track. They didn't think that was funny. It's a little too scary."

Davey Hamilton, No. 44 HP Kingdom Racing Honda Dallara

"It's a typical May day at Indianapolis. I have been here enough to know that to get too excited about the rain. It's part of the whole experience here. Luckily, I have raced here eight times and have plenty of laps in the Indy Experience two-seater too. But I am like the rest of the drivers in the garage area. I want to get out there on the track with the new No. 44 HP Kingdom Racing Honda Dallara. I got rained out last Saturday for my sprint car race in California. So this stuff is following me around. We're ready for some action on Thursday."
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri May 08, 2009 10:27 am

DREYER AND REINBOLD RACING ANNOUNCES RETURN OF PUREX TO INDY 500

Long Time Primary Sponsor of the #24 Dreyer & Reinbold Dallara Returns to Sponsor Team and Launch New Purex® Complete 3-in-1 Laundry Sheets

Text Box: Indianapolis, IN (May 7, 2009) -- Ready to restore their past glory with the #24 IndyCar entry, Dreyer and Reinbold Racing is proud to announce that they have entered into a primary sponsor partnership with the Purex Laundry Care Brand for the 93rd running of the Indianapolis 500.

For Purex and Dreyer & Reinbold Racing, their reunion at this year's Indy 500 will be a celebration of their ten year anniversary when Purex first adorned the team's #24 entry at the 2000 Indianapolis 500. Purex went on to partner with Dreyer & Reinbold Racing as primary sponsor for several seasons with current team co-owner Robbie Buhl as the driver.

"For so many years, we enjoyed a terrific sponsor and business relationship with the Purex brand. Throughout their involvement with us and the IndyCar Series, Purex has always used their presence and involvement with our team and the IndyCar Series strategically," stated Dennis Reinbold, Dreyer and Reinbold Racing co-owner.

Purex's presence in 2009 will be no different than it was ten years ago as the announcement of Purex's return to the Indianapolis 500 and the IndyCar Series is meant to coincide with the launch of Purex's revolutionary new product, Purex® Complete 3-in-1 Laundry Sheets. New Purex® Complete 3-in-1 Laundry Sheets are the all-in-one laundry solution. Each powerful sheet contains a load's worth of super-concentrated detergent, softener and anti-static all in one product. Simply drop a laundry sheet into the washer (either standard or high-efficiency), and the blue detergent portion of the sheet is released during the wash cycle to get clothes deep down clean. Once the washer has stopped, transfer the laundry sheet with clothes to the dryer. The softening/anti-static stripe is heat activated by the dryer to soften clothes and remove static. It's the most convenient, simplified laundry experience ever.

"From our past experience at the Indianapolis 500, we know that this is a special stage to be involved in when talking about our products and brand. This is especially so when we launch such a revolutionary product in the world of Laundry Care like we are doing today with our new Purex® Complete 3-in-1 Laundry Sheets. We know there are many, many moms who watch the Indy 500 and who follow the IndyCar Series, and we are delighted to be involved in this great race and to partner with Dreyer & Reinbold Racing once again. It is not coincidental that we are launching Purex® Complete 3-in-1 Laundry Sheets at the famed Indianapolis Motor Speedway where so many other innovations have been launched," stated Greg Tipsord, Henkel's Vice President & General Manager, U.S. Laundry Care.

"The majority of IndyCar races that I drove in and which Dreyer & Reinbold Racing has participated in with the #24 car have had the Purex logo on the sidepods. Obviously, I have some great memories tied to the Purex brand and I could not be happier in having them join us once again at the Indy 500 and in the IndyCar Series," commented Robbie Buhl, Dreyer and Reinbold co-owner.

For more than 130 years, Henkel has been a leader with brands and technologies that make people's lives easier, better and more beautiful. Henkel operates in three business areas -- Home Care, Personal Care, and Adhesive Technologies -- and is ranked among the Fortune Global 500 companies. More than 60 percent of Henkel's sales are in fast-moving consumer goods, while the industrial business accounts for almost 40 percent of the company's total sales. In fiscal 2008, Henkel generated sales of $20.8 billion and adjusted operating profit of $2.1 billion. Our more than 55,000 employees worldwide are dedicated to fulfilling our corporate claim, "A Brand like a Friend," and ensuring that people in more than 125 countries can trust in brands and technologies from Henkel.

Henkel markets a wide range of well-known consumer and industrial brands in North America, including Dial® soaps, Purex® laundry detergents, Right Guard® antiperspirants, got2b® hair gels, and Loctite® adhesives. Visit www.henkelna.com for more information.

For more information on Purex® Complete 3-in-1 laundry sheets and other Purex® products, please visit www.Purex.com.

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing enters its 10th season of full-time competition in 2009, making it one of the longest-tenured teams in Indy Racing League competition. Current co-owners, Dennis Reinbold and Robbie Buhl, first teamed in full-time competition at the Walt Disney World Speedway in January of 2000. With Buhl behind the wheel, the two owners tasted victory in their debut race. The 2009 IndyCar Series season-opener on the streets of St. Petersburg marked Dreyer & Reinbold Racing's 200th series start. In its history, the team has boasted a championship list of alumni drivers. Besides Buhl, the team has run Indianapolis 500 winners Al Unser Jr., Buddy Lazier, and Buddy Rice, along with IndyCar Series race winner Ryan Briscoe. The team has one of the longest lines of heritage in American open-wheel racing and the Indianapolis 500 as Dennis Reinbold's grandfather, "Pop" Dreyer, built leading roadsters that raced at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway during the 30s, 40s, and 50s.

www.dreyerreinboldracing.com

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri May 08, 2009 12:34 pm

VETERAN DAVEY HAMILTON PLEASED WITH FIRST PRACTICE RUNS THURSDAY

INDIANAPOLIS (May 7, 2009) -- Davey Hamilton, one of the most experienced racers at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, returned to his favorite track Thursday when practice finally got underway for the 2009 Indianapolis 500 Mile Race.

Hamilton, who suffered severe foot injuries in 2001 at Texas, was pleased with his first day of practice in the pretty No. 44 HP Kingdom Racing Honda Dallara after sitting out Wednesday's planned practice runs due to rain showers on the racing surface.

Hamilton, looking to qualifying for ninth Indy 500 this weekend, was able to complete 37 laps Thursday with a best speed of 221.624 miles per hour, 19th fastest of the day among 32 drivers.

Hamilton is one of four Dreyer & Reinbold Racing entries this year at Indy, as the Eagle, Idaho, veteran joins John Andretti, Mike Conway and Milka Duno in the DRR lineup. Dreyer & Reinbold Racing joins Andretti Green Racing as the only teams with four drivers entered in the 2009 Indy 500.

Hamilton, whose best Indy 500 finish is fifth in 1998, is logged more laps around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway than any driver after his longtime job of driving the Indy Experience two-seater for sponsors and fans for the last seven years.

Hamilton returned to the Indy 500 in 2007 after sitting out the Brickyard six years due to his injuries in 2001. Hamilton, 46, continues to compete in sprint car and midget races throughout the country on a regular basis.

In addition, Hamilton served as the racing analyst for the IndyCar Series radio network to play-by-play host Mike King. Hamilton is also a race promoter at the Terre Haute Action Track dirt half-mile oval.

DAVEY HAMILTON, No. 44 HP Kingdom Racing Honda Dallara: "I'm really happy. We ran a decent speed in the end. At first I was a little disappointed in the speed and the setup that we had earlier in the day, so we came back and made some changes and now I'm really happy with where we are. We didn't want to make too many changes and risk it, so we are taking it step by step and I'm really happy with where we ended for today. Tomorrow we need to start trimming the car out for qualifying. I know it's going to be hard, but I think we have a shot at the top eleven."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri May 08, 2009 12:35 pm

MILKA DUNO HAPPY TO BE BACK AT THE 2009 INDY 500

INDIANAPOLIS (May 7, 2009) -- Popular Milka Duno was all smiles Thursday at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway as practice runs finally got underway.

She was back behind the wheel of her racing machine Thursday.

Duno, the personable Venezuela driver, returns to the Indianapolis 500 for her third appearance in the world's biggest event at the wheel of the No. 23 CITGO Dreyer & Reinbold Honda Dallara. Milka had to sit out Wednesday initial practice due to constant rain showers.

But Thursday, the author of a popular children book, "Go Milka Go," was back on track and making her first laps of the month. Duno, who also had part in the film, "Speed Racer," recorded 59 laps Thursday with a best speed of 219.745 miles per hour, 26th of the 32-driver field Thursday.

Duno, a winner on the Grand-Am sports car tour before entering the IndyCar Series in 2006, is one of three female drivers attempting to qualifying in the 2009 Indianapolis 500 Mile Race. She joined Sarah Fisher and Danica Patrick in this year's female entry list.

Duno also is part of a four-car effort for the Dreyer & Reinbold Racing stable in this year's event, as she teams with veterans John Andretti and Davey Hamilton and British rookie Mike Conway. Duno's car is also sporting a new color scheme for this year's Indy 500 with a bright red and blue design.

Practice will continue Friday at the Speedway beginning at noon with the opening round of qualifications set for Saturday, May 9.

MILKA DUNO, No. 23 CITGO Dreyer & Reinbold Honda Dallara: "For our first time out today the CITGO car felt good and we had a very productive practice. We still have margin to make the car faster and get it to the way that we want it. It's the team's decision to take it little by little to get the car right and to get it consistently fast. Tomorrow our plan is to go fast and prepare for qualifying on Saturday."

DENNIS REINBOLD, Co-owner Dreyer & Reinbold Racing: "Mike Conway drove a lot laps today and was one of the busiest drivers out there. We tested a lot of different components and that way we could cross them off the list. He was the workhorse for the team today testing a lot of things and we learned a lot, which is really going to benefit the other three drivers as well. With Davey and John, we turned them loose on their own and toward the end of the day found something that was a pretty big gain for us. We are very confident that we have quite a bit more speed that we can come up with for tomorrow as well as for Saturday. Milka did a lot of laps and almost got to 220mph. We still have a lot we can trim out on her car and we know there is quite a bit of speed left there too."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri May 08, 2009 12:36 pm

MIKE CONWAY COMPLETES OVER 100 LAPS THURSDAY AT INDY

INDIANAPOLIS -- Rookie driver Mike Conway helped his experience level at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Thursday by driving the No. 24 Purex Dreyer & Reinbold Honda Dallara to the second most laps [123] during the first full day of practice runs for the 2009 Indianapolis 500 Mile Race.

Conway, preparing for his fourth race on the 2009 IndyCar Series, passed his Rookie Orientation Program on Tuesday afternoon, but the 25-year-old Brit had to sit out Wednesday practice due to the steady rain showers.

After early fog on Thursday, Conway was able to return to action with his bright blue machine and notched 108 laps around the famed two and a half mile oval with a top speed of 220.362 miles per hour. Conway's speed was 21st fastest on the opening day of practice runs.

A total of 32 drivers recorded speeds on Thursday with Marco Andretti having the fastest speed of the day at 225.478 m.p.h.

Conway, a successful formula driver in Europe, has one oval track to his credit after competing two weeks ago at the Kansas Speedway. Conway finished 19th.

Conway's new mount was introduced today at the Speedway with Purex Complete 3-in-1 as the new primary sponsor for the No. 24 Honda-powered car this month at Indianapolis. Purex returns to the Dreyer & Reinbold Racing team after many successful seasons with current co-owner Robbie Buhl at the wheel.

Greg Tipsord, vice president and general manager of Henkel North America, was on hand Thursday for the announcement. Tipsord said the introduction of the new Purex 3-in-1 sheet could revolutionize the home cleaning industry with the use of a cleanser, a fabric softener and anti-static agent all in one application.

MIKE CONWAY, No. 24 Purex Dreyer& Reinbold Honda Dallara:

"Today was okay, similar to the first. We did quite a few laps today, like 115 or so. We are just building it bit by bit and make changes on the car and make sure we are learning all of the time. It was just a matter of getting use to the car and running in traffic. I didn't get loads of that, but I got an idea of towing people and how far you can be to receive the tow. Overall we are good. We just continue to learn. All four cars were learning from each other today, so we can go through that data tonight and put it all together for tomorrow."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat May 09, 2009 10:18 am

JOHN ANDRETTI BACK AT INDY IN WINDOW WORLD PETTY MACHINE

INDIANAPOLIS (May 7, 2009) -- John Andretti had a sigh of relief when he walked into the pit lane Thursday at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

After sitting in the Dreyer & Reinbold/Richard Petty garage for three days, the Indianapolis native was finally get a chance to debut his beautiful blue and "Day-Go" No. 43 Window World Honda Dallara on track after some early morning fog held up practice runs for 20 minutes.

The veteran driver quickly took the brightly-colored machine up to the 220 mile-per-hour range as he consistently moved through the check list of projects set up by the team's engineering staff. Andretti is no stranger to the famed Brickyard after successful drives in the Indy 500 and the Brickyard 400.

But Thursday, Andretti felt excited with his new racing vehicle, a car that brought NASCAR legend Richard Petty to the 500 for the first time as an owner. Petty, the seven-time Sprint Cup champion, will be on hand Saturday to watch Andretti qualify the No. 43 machine.

Andretti put in 50 laps Thursday with a best speed of 221.910 miles per hour, 17th best on the day with 32 drivers. The NASCAR Sprint Cup regular will be attempting to qualify for his tenth Indy 500 this weekend.

One of the most versatile drivers today, Andretti brings a huge amount of experience to the Dreyer & Reinbold team with his background in CART, IRL, IMSA, NASCAR, USAC and even NHRA, but John feels good about teaming with DRR director of competition Larry Curry this month. Curry was the crew chief on Andretti's CART victory in Australia in 1991.

Andretti has worked hard to have Petty get involved in the Indy 500 as a car owner. He brought Petty to the Indy 500 last year in "the King's" first appearance at the world's biggest race. Andretti also brought Window World to Indy this year after the North Carolina company sponsored John in this year's Daytona 500.

Andretti will be back in action Friday as preparations continue for Saturday's opening round of qualifications.

John Andretti, No. 43 Richard Petty Window World Honda Dallara: "We are pecking at it and coming at from a different point of view than a lot of the other guys that have been with their race teams for a long time. At the end of the day we tried a couple of things and we are in the game. We are not in the top game, but we are in the back of the top game and hopefully tomorrow we can make a step to be more solidly in the top part of it and be a contender for the top eleven."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat May 09, 2009 10:19 am

DREYER & REINBOLD RACING GETS FOUR DRIVERS ROLLING IN INDY PRACTICE

INDIANAPOLIS -- The four Dreyer & Reinbold drivers made good progress with their respective cars Thursday during the opening round of practice for this year's Indianapolis 500 Mile Race.

Wednesday's initial practice sessions were rained out.

John Andretti, Mike Conway, Milka Duno and Davey Hamilton waited for the early morning fog to lift before taking their mounts to the famed Brickyard oval, and the quartet worked closely with the DRR engineering staff to establish a solid "baseline" setup for the day.

Andretti, in the No. 43 Richard Petty Window World Honda Dallara, was the fastest of the four with a speed of 221.910 miles per hour in his 50 laps Thursday for 17th overall. Hamilton, in the No. 44 HP Kingdom Racing Honda Dallara, clocked a 221.624 m.p.h. and 19th among the 32 drivers on track. The Idaho driver took only 37 laps Thursday.

Rookie Conway, in the No. 24 Purex DRR Honda Dallara, was busy with 123 laps completed and a best speed of 220.646 m.p.h. with Duno, in the No. 23 CITGO DRR Honda Dallara, made 59 laps with a best of 219.745 m.p.h.

Conway's new mount was introduced today at the Speedway with Purex Complete 3-in-1 as the new primary sponsor for the No. 24 Honda-powered car this month at Indianapolis. Purex returns to the Dreyer & Reinbold Racing team after many successful seasons with co-owner Robbie Buhl at the wheel.

Greg Tipsord, vice president and general manager of Henkel North America, was on hand Thursday for the announcement. Tipsord said the introduction of the new Purex 3-in-1 sheet could revolutionize the home cleaning industry with the use of a cleanser, a fabric softener and anti-static agent all in one application.

John Andretti, No. 43 Richard Petty Window World Honda Dallara:

"We are pecking at it and coming at from a different point of view than a lot of the other guys that have been with their race teams for a long time. At the end of the day we tried a couple of things and we are in the game. We are not in the top game, but we are in the back of the top game and hopefully tomorrow we can make a step to be more solidly in the top part of it and be a contender for the top eleven."

"Today was okay, similar to the first. We did quite a few laps today, like 115 or so. We are just building it bit by bit and make changes on the car and make sure we are learning all of the time. It was just a matter of getting use to the car and running in traffic. I didn't get loads of that, but I got an idea of towing people and how far you can be to receive the tow. Overall we are good. We just continue to learn. All four cars were learning from each other today, so we can go through that data tonight and put it all together for tomorrow. "

MILKA DUNO, No. 23 CITGO Dreyer & Reinbold Honda Dallara:

"For our first time out today the CITGO car felt good and we had a very productive practice. We still have margin to make the car faster and get it to the way that we want it. It's the team's decision to take it little by little to get the car right and to get it consistently fast. Tomorrow our plan is to go fast and prepare for qualifying on Saturday."

DAVEY HAMILTON, No. 44 HP Kingdom Racing Honda Dallara:

"I'm really happy. We ran a decent speed in the end. At first I was a little disappointed in the speed and the setup that we had earlier in the day, so we came back and made some changes and now I'm really happy with where we are. We didn't want to make too many changes and risk it, so we are taking it step by step and I'm really happy with where we ended for today. Tomorrow we need to start trimming the car out for qualifying. I know it's going to be hard, but I think we have a shot at the top eleven."

DENNIS REINBOLD, co-owner Dreyer & Reinbold Racing:

"Mike Conway drove a lot laps today and was one of the busiest drivers out there. We tested a lot of different components and that way we could cross them off the list. He was the workhorse for the team today testing a lot of things and we learned a lot, which is really going to benefit the other three drivers as well. With Davey and John, we turned them loose on their own and toward the end of the day found something that was a pretty big gain for us. We are very confident that we have quite a bit more speed that we can come up with for tomorrow as well as for Saturday. Milka did a lot of laps and almost got to 220 m.p.h. We still have a lot we can trim out on her car and we know there is quite a bit of speed left there too."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat May 09, 2009 11:15 am

FOLLOWING DAVEY HAMILTON'S INDY 500 ACTIVITIES MADE EASIER

Indianapolis, IN (May 07, 2009) -- Davey Hamilton is gearing up for this year's 93rd running of the Indy 500 and his fans are as well. As Davey prepares the beautiful black and silver No. 44 Dreyer & Reinbold / Kingdom Racing Honda Dallara with HP's "Touch the Future Now" logo emblazoned on the sidepods, fans can keep up to date numerous ways this month.

You can follow the day-by-day updates on Twitter, Facebook and MySpace, plus DreyerReinbold.com, KingdomRacing.net, IndyRacingExperience.com and RaceFanRadio.com sites are also offering unique content.

"I'm working with a technology company using the Touch the Future Now campaign and it only makes sense that we would use technology to deliver our message for our sponsors", said Hamilton. "We'll have audio blogs and text blasts in addition to the traditional press releases that our team is creating for all of our fans."

Backing Hamilton for the third consecutive year is Hewlett Packard. HP is a technology company that operates in more than 170 countries around the world offering consumers a wide range of products and services from digital photography to digital entertainment and from computing to home printing.

Davey's promotion team is updating various websites and media outlets as quickly as it happens at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Kingdom Racing, Hamilton's team co-entrant this month is launching a social network for like-minded Christians to interact and connect with "faith-based" race fans as well.

Kingdom Racing founder George Del Canto said "Kingdom Racing is about winning for God's glory. Creating this social network will allow all of us who worship Christ to share His message with thousands of race fans everyday."

Weather has been a factor in keeping the teams off the track most of the week but "Fast Friday" should be a quick for the Davey Hamilton / HP team. Says team strategist, Larry Curry, "It was a good day for us as we ran the least amount of laps and I feel like we accomplished the most".

Along with Davey Hamilton, Dreyer & Reinbold Racing is fielding three other entries in the Indianapolis 500 this year with Mike Conway, John Andretti and Milka Duno. The team ran all four cars on Thursday with Davey Hamilton ending up 19th overall out of the 31 different cars on track posting a fast lap of 221.624

Davey and the HP Team will be back on track Friday between 12pm and 6pm EST as they prepare for Pole Day on Saturday. Stay in touch with him all month by utilizing any of the various media outlets mentioned above.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat May 09, 2009 11:17 am

JOHN ANDRETTI LOOKS FOR CONSISTENCY IN WINDOW WORLD CAR

INDIANAPOLIS (May 8, 2009) -- Track conditions are always tricky at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway during the month of May. Just ask John Andretti.

Andretti, the first driver to compete in the Memorial Weekend "Double" at Indy and Charlotte back in 1994, has been around the world's most famous race track as much as anyone in the current field. And Andretti knows what to expect with the wild weather trends.

The Indianapolis native experienced a variety of track conditions Friday during practice runs in his No. 43 Richard Petty Window World Honda Dallara. John recorded 29 laps Friday with a best speed of 222.079 miles per hour.

The Window World crew was busy Friday in the garage area with adjustments to Andretti's car throughout the day. The popular Andretti worked with his engineers on car setup and met with race fans, signing autographs between his on-track activities.

Andretti, a graduate of Moravian College in Bethlehem, Pa., is as astute outside in his racing machine as he is in the cockpit. John assisted in developing a marketing plan for his racing endeavors this month including working closely with Window World, his primary sponsor . In addition, Andretti has worked hard to expand the website -- www.petty-andretti.com -- with daily video blogs and updated news from the track.

NASCAR legend Richard Petty, a first-time car owner in the Indy 500, will attending Pole Day action on Saturday to watch Andretti and the No. 43 Window World Honda attempt to qualify for one of the top eleven spots.. Petty, the seven-time Sprint Cup champion, will then fly back to Darlington, S.C., to witness his four drivers compete in the Southern 500 NASCAR race Saturday evening.

Andretti, a NASCAR Sprint Cup regular, will be trying to qualify for his tenth Indy 500 this weekend. Andretti won a NASCAR Sprint Cup event for Petty in 1999 at Martinsville.

John Andretti, No. 43 Richard Petty Window World Honda Dallara:

"We are going to make some more changes, and we will come out early tomorrow and run. It will be tough tomorrow. One lap is different than four laps. We need to keep the consistency and keep the same speed from the first lap. We will make some more changes to get some more drag and get a better balance, because you will need both to make the top eleven."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat May 09, 2009 11:18 am

INDIANAPOLIS (May 8, 2009) -- Davey Hamilton, seeking a top eleven qualifying spot on Saturday, had a tougher day than he would have liked Friday during practice runs for the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race.

Hamilton drove his No. 44 HP Kingdom Racing Honda Dallara to a best speed of 221.901 miles per hour, an improvement over his Thursday top speed of 221.624. But the Eagle, Idaho veteran wasn't happy with the progress of his car as qualifications are set for Saturday at noon [EDT]. Hamilton was 22nd fastest on Friday.

Hamilton's HP Kingdom Racing crew went through a variety of adjustments on the No. 44 machine in order to find the best chassis setup to match up with the current track conditions. Davey is one of the most experienced racers at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and he expects to have any problems sorted out in Saturday morning practice runs prior to time trials.

Hamilton, always a crowd favorite since his comeback in 2007 from severe foot injuries suffered at Texas Motor Speedway in 2001, recorded speeds for 25 laps Friday, as the No. 44 car spent the majority of time in the HP Kingdom Racing garage area. The crew members and engineering staff made a myriad of changes in the gearbox and chassis in an effort to gain speed.

Hamilton is one of four Dreyer & Reinbold Racing entries this year at Indy, as the Eagle, Idaho, veteran joins John Andretti, Mike Conway and Milka Duno in the DRR lineup. Dreyer & Reinbold Racing joins Andretti Green Racing as the only teams with four drivers entered in the 2009 Indy 500.

Hamilton, whose best Indy 500 finish is fifth in 1998, made his first Indy 500 start in 1996, driving for four-time Indy 500 winner A.J. Foyt. Last year, Hamilton finished 14th at Indy while competing from the Vision Racing garage for HP and Kingdom.

DAVEY HAMILTON, No. 44 HP Kingdom Racing Honda Dallara: "Today was definitely a learning day for us. We didn't gain the speed that we wanted even though we went a little bit faster. The good thing is we learned what not to do for qualifying. We tried a deal with the gearbox and some gearing that didn't work, and we now know what not to do, so we were changing it back when it started raining. I think we will be okay. It's still a long shot for us to be in the top eleven, but we still have a slight chance."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat May 09, 2009 11:21 am

CONWAY'S OVAL LEARNING CURVE CONTINUES IN FRIDAY PRACTICE

INDIANAPOLIS (May 8, 2009) -- Last year, Mike Conway was driving the GP2 formula car road racing circuit. In fact, Conway's entire racing career has been run on roads.

The 25-year-old rookie driver from Sevenoaks, Kent, England, has been going through a huge learning curve this year in the 2009 IndyCar Series since over half of the 17-race tour is contested on oval tracks. Conway had never seen an oval track before testing at Homestead-Miami Speedway in February.

Conway drove in his first oval race two weeks ago at Kansas Speedway, and the young Brit is gaining oval experience with each lap. The big two and a half mile oval in Indianapolis is an imposing figure for a rookie driver in the Indy 500.

Conway is using the knowledge of veterans like teammates John Andretti and Davey Hamilton to help him work on his oval racing craft. Other rookies like Robert Doornbos also are oval novices.

On Friday, Conway ran 39 laps during practice with a best speed of 220.500 miles per hour, 29th fastest for the day in the No. 24 Purex Dreyer & Reinbold Honda Dallara.

But Conway knows he is learning day-by-day how to handle an oval track

Conway passed his Rookie Orientation Program on Tuesday afternoon and had to sit in his DRR garage on Wednesday and watch the rain all day.

Conway's new mount was introduced this week at the Speedway with Purex Complete 3-in-1 as the new primary sponsor for the No. 24 Honda-powered car this month at Indianapolis. Purex returns to the Dreyer & Reinbold Racing team after many successful seasons with current co-owner Robbie Buhl at the wheel.

"Our goal for today was basically to improve on what we learned from yesterday. We were able to get some laps in, but we would have liked to be able to get some more in. We learned in some areas and will have to go back in some other areas. We are looking okay. Obviously with all of the cars that we have we can exchange a lot of data and see where one learns. Qualifying is only tomorrow and we need to be ready for that."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat May 09, 2009 11:22 am

MILKA DUNO WORKING HER WAY UP TO SPEED AT INDY

INDIANAPOLIS (May 8, 2009) -- The weather conditions proved to be difficult at times at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

And the CITGO Dreyer & Reinbold Racing team did a lot of head scratching Friday at the Speedway, as driver Milka Duno attempted to work her way up speed during Friday's practice runs.

With threatening rain all day, the track proved to be difficult for teams to judge as qualification runs draw closer. The first round of qualifying is set noon on Saturday, May 9.

Duno, the personable Venezuela driver of the No. 23 CITGO Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Honda Dallara, is in her third year at the Indianapolis 500, and her experience at the track is growing with each practice session. On Friday, Duno clocked a best speed of 219.699 miles per hour. She recorded 39 laps Friday.

Duno, a former winner in sports-car racing, returned to the IndyCar Series for the first time in 2009 at Kansas Speedway, qualifying 12th and finishing 16th. Now, the famed Indy 500 is the next event for Duno after racing here the past two years.

Duno, Sarah Fisher and Danica Patrick make up this year's female entry list in the Indy 500.

Duno is working with her teammates John Andretti, Davey Hamilton and Mike Conway to assist in chassis setup for the No. 23 car. Milka, whose children's book, "Go Milka Go," nomination for a Latin Book Award.

MILKA DUNO, No. 23 CITGO Dreyer & Reinbold Honda Dallara: "We hoped to go a bit faster today, so I'm a little disappointed. We made a lot of changes in hopes of making the car respond. Tonight we will look over the data and try again for tomorrow."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat May 09, 2009 11:24 am

DREYER & REINBOLD RACING SEEKS SPEED IN FRIDAY'S INDY 500 PRACTICE

INDIANAPOLIS (May 8, 2009)-- Threatening weather at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Friday kept the Dreyer & Reinbold Racing team on its heels during practice runs.

The four drivers -- John Andretti, Mike Conway, Milka Duno and Davey Hamilton -- worked through a variety of setups in hopes finding a new component for speed on the legendary two and a half mile oval. The skies were filled with clouds and off-and-on rain showers as the team prepared for Saturday's first round of qualification runs for this year's 2009 Indianapolis 500 Mile Race.

The DRR engineering crew faced some tough odds with the charging conditions and developing rain throughout the Friday afternoon practice session. After Wednesday's rainout for opening day, all of the racing teams were put into a hurry-up mode for the next two days.

Luckily, both Thursday and Friday practice sessions were completed without massive rain delays, and the DRR quartet kept trying new settings for their respective Honda-powered Dallara cars.

John Andretti, in the No. 43 Richard Petty Window World Honda Dallara, was the fastest of the four with a speed of 222.079 miles per hour in his 29 laps Friday for 20th overall. Hamilton, in the No. 44 HP Kingdom Racing Honda Dallara, recorded a 221.910 m.p.h. and 22rd among the 32 drivers on track. Hamilton completed 25 laps Friday.

British rookie Conway, in the No. 24 Purex DRR Honda Dallara, finished the day with 56 laps run and a best speed of 220.500 m.p.h. with Duno, in the No. 23 CITGO DRR Honda Dallara, made 39 laps with a best of 219.699 m.p.h.

A one-hour practice session will be run on Saturday morning at the Speedway before time trials begin at noon. The first eleven spots for the 33-driver starting grid will be established on Saturday.

JOHN ANDRETTI, No. 43 Richard Petty Window World Honda Dallara:

""We are going to make some more changes and we will come out early tomorrow and run. It will be tough tomorrow. One lap is different than four laps. We need to keep the consistency and keep the same speed from the first lap. We will make some more changes to get some more drag and get a better balance, because you will need both to make the top eleven."

Our goal for today was basically to improve on what we learned from yesterday. We were able to get some laps in, but we would have liked to be able to get some more in. We learned in some areas and will have to go back in some other areas. We are looking okay. Obviously with all of the cars that we have we can exchange a lot of data and see where one learns. Qualifying is only tomorrow and we need to be ready for that."

"We hoped to go a bit faster today, so I'm a little disappointed. We made a lot of changes in hopes of making the car respond. Tonight we will look over the data and try again for tomorrow."

"Today was definitely a learning day for us. We didn't gain the speed that we wanted even though we went a little bit faster. The good thing is we learned what not to do for qualifying. We tried a deal with the gearbox and some gearing that didn't work and we now know what not to do, so we were changing it back when it started raining. I think we will be okay. It's still a long shot for us to be in the top eleven, but we still have a slight chance."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun May 10, 2009 12:55 pm

Richard Petty Gets a "King's" Welcome at Indy Saturday; Dreyer & Reinbold Cars Practice But Do Not Qualify in Windy Conditions

INDIANAPOLIS (May 9, 2009)-- Richard Petty was much more than a spectator Saturday when he returned to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for Pole Day of the Indy 500.

"The King" came to the world's most famous racing facility as a car owner this time with his driver, John Andretti, prepared to make the top eleven qualifiers on the first day of time trials at the Brickyard. Andretti practiced in the No. 43 Richard Petty Window World Honda Dallara in the morning session, but he didn't attempt a qualifying run Saturday afternoon.

Andretti and the three other Dreyer & Reinbold Racing drivers -- Mike Conway, Milka Duno and Davey Hamilton -- had their respective cars in line for qualifications late Saturday before the Speedway gun was shot at 6 p.m. Andretti's car will be third in line for Sunday's time trials. Conway, Duno and Hamilton's machines are also set for early qualifying Sunday..

Petty kept busy in his four hours at the track Saturday by watching Andretti in practice, visiting the syndicated "Bob & Tom Show" for radio and television, holding a press conference, meeting with his old stock car rival, A.J. Foyt, and signing autographs for the racing fans.

The seven-time NASCAR champion met with Andretti, Window World executives and Dreyer & Reinbold Racing officials to discuss his Indy 500 program this month. Petty will return on Sunday, May 24, for the 2009 Indy 500.

Hamilton, driving the No. 44 HP Kingdom Racing Honda Dallara, posted the best speed of the day for the DRR quartet in practice with a best speed of 222.212 miles per hour. Duno, in the No. 23 CITGO DRR Honda Dallara, clocked a 220.367 m.p.h. lap with Conway, in the No. 24 Purex DRR Honda Dallara, recorded a best of 220.226. Andretti, who took just nine laps Saturday, had a best of 218.538 m.p.h. in the windy conditions.

A one-hour practice session will take place Sunday morning at the Speedway before time trials begin at noon. Positions 12 through 22 will be secured in Sunday qualifying.

"I would say tomorrow we are going to hit it pretty hard and go out pretty aggressively to try to get in the next eleven. I think that's attainable and it's about being in the right place at the right time." Andretti on Petty: "In a way, it clogs up our system, because Richard attracts a lot of people, but it's great. I think it's really great having him be a part of this whole experience. He had a really good time and that's what is important, because he doesn't have to make this effort and he doesn't even have to do this. Richard has won enough of this in his lifetime to have to be a part of what we are doing here. I think him coming here and being enthusiastic about all of it is really good."

"We decided not to go out today, because based on our practice runs we didn't really have enough speed to be battling for the top eleven. Instead, we decided to wait and save our tires and hopefully we'll be quicker for tomorrow."

"We are prepared for tomorrow. The CITGO car was quicker today than it was yesterday, and that's what we were looking for. Tomorrow is another day and we will see what we can do."

"I think we may be pretty good in line. We were in line for this afternoon and didn't make it in, so I think we'll have a good spot for tomorrow. We will do a practice run. We are in that 225 area, but there are about six guys that are in that same area. I would have liked to get to try today, not that we could have made it, but we are at least in the game and tomorrow morning we will go out and see what we've got."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue May 12, 2009 1:06 pm

Hamilton Makes The Indy 500 Field Sunday For Dreyer & Reinbold; Andretti, Conway Have Wall Contact During Practice Runs

INDIANAPOLIS (May 10, 2009)-- Veteran driver Davey Hamilton, driving the No. 44 HP Kingdom Racing Honda Dallara, qualified for the 2009 Indianapolis 500 Mile Race Sunday in the second day of Time Trials at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

But two other Dreyer & Reinbold Racing competitors -- John Andretti and Mike Conway -- were not as lucky, as they suffered practice incidents in Turn One in morning and afternoon sessions.

Hamilton, one of the most experienced drivers in this year's Indy 500 field, recorded a four-lap average of 221.956 miles per hour to gain the 22nd starting position for the May 24 Indy 500. The Eagle, Idaho driver had lap times of 222.227, 222.027, 221.778 and 221.795 to qualify for his ninth Indy 500 start. Hamilton was among the drivers Sunday who took their qualifying laps in the early portion of qualifying.

Andretti, seeking a spot in his tenth Indy 500 event, qualified his No. 43 Richard Petty Window World Honda Dallara in the early rounds Sunday with a 221.109 m.p.h. reading but was later bumped from the first 22 secured starting spots in the 33-driver lineup. At 4:40 p.m. Sunday, Andretti took out his No. 43 machine in practice runs looking for more speed. But the 19-time [10 in NASCAR and nine at the 500] IMS starter spun into the Turn One wall. He was able to walk away from the incident, but he was not to make an attempt later in the day.

Conway, making his first appearance at the Indy 500, made contact the Turn One wall with his No. 24 Purex Dreyer & Reinbold Honda Dallara just two laps into the one-hour morning practice round when Conway's mount lost traction and backed into the safe barrier. Conway complained of back pain and was transported to Methodist Hospital in downtown Indianapolis. According to Dr. Michael Olinger, medical director for the Indy Racing League, Conway was treated for bruised lungs. He was awake, alert and listed in good condition.

Milka Duno drove the No. 23 CITGO DRR Honda Dallara to a four-lap qualifying average of 219.072 m.p.h. early in the day before being bumped from the top 22 qualifiers. Duno, Andretti and Conway will attempt to qualify next weekend for the 33-driver field.

"It was tough today. I have never really been in that situation before [possibly getting bumped], and I know it's only the second day of qualifying. Obviously we would have liked to be higher up in the field. We turned a 222.9 and I thought that we were pretty safe. But right at the end, some people we were picking up two miles more an hour. We went out and saw what we had, and we picked it up too, running high 222's. I wish I had just put it on the line and gone for it, because I don't like waiting around like that. At the end of the day, we are in and that's a good thing."

"It was a rough day for our Window World team. We really wanted to get into the race today so we could work on our race setup this coming week. We didn't want to battle to get into the race next weekend. We didn't get a quality run in qualifying, and we knew we would probably have to make another run today [Sunday]. It was frustrating. We worked on the chassis setup this afternoon to get a better balance. But, in practice, the car was a little too loose and we were making adjustments. I was going pretty hot into Turn One, which is always a tough corner, and I lost the back end. We didn't that {incident] today. We will regroup and get ready for this week."

"We did qualify this morning, but we decided not to go back out. We didn't want to risk it and we felt that we needed more time in the car to get it up to speed. It was too short of a time to make the car faster, and we feel we will be more prepared for next week."

DENNIS REINBOLD, co-owner, Dreyer & Reinbold Racing:

"With Mike, it's unfortunate that [crash} happened. He was poised to run well and would have been set up to run good today. I hate to have him miss track time and the opportunity to qualify. With John, we don't know what happened. He was running really well and we thought that we would have two cars solidly in the race. With Milka, she did a good job and ran pretty well. She wasn't completely confident in the feel of her car, so at the heels of crashing two cars, we decided to be conservative with her and give her more track time and build her confidence. With Davey, we will shift gears to race setup and learn as much we can off of his car. The good news is Davey's car is the car that has the least miles. Next week, we will run Davey's car a lot and learn for the other three cars for the race. That is the plan for now."