2009 IRL Team Reports: Dreyer & Reinbold Racing

IRL Team reports for the 2009 IRL season

Moderator: mlittle

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

2009 IRL Team Reports: Dreyer & Reinbold Racing

Post by mlittle » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:59 am

~~~DREYER & REINBOLD RACING WILL START 10TH AND 12TH FOR THE HONDA GRAND PRIX OF ST.PETERSBURG

St.Petersburg, FL (April 4, 2009)- Today was bittersweet for Dreyer &Reinbold Racing as they qualified for the IndyCar Series opener, the Honda Grand Prix of St.Petersburg. The team had been working hard all weekend as their new drivers' adjusted to the cars, the team, and the track.

Darren Manning qualified his No. 23 machine tenth on the grid for tomorrow's race. After joining the team on Tuesday, the 33 year-old Brit has been diligently making steps on getting the car up to speed. He had a strong first session in the first round of qualifying, advancing him to the second round. Time was not on his side, as the team made a change, there just wasn't enough time to get a good lap in on the Firestone Alternate (red-sidewall) tires.

It was another story for rookie, Englishman, Mike Conway. The 25 year-old signed with the team earlier this year and has proven that he is a force to be reckoned with. Conway has shown quiet speed all weekend long and was making good progress. The rookie marked the quickest time in the first round and advanced into the second round. Unfortunately on his in-lap, he clipped the inside wall at turn nine, doing substantial damage, preventing him from moving on to the next session. Luckily, the No.24 Dad's Root Beer machine will be ready to go for tomorrow's race and Conway will be able to start twelfth.

Tomorrow marks Dreyer & Reinbold Racing's 200th race start as they embark on their tenth season as a successful operation in the IndyCar Series.

What they have to say...

Mike Conway: "We were slowly improving the Dad's Root Beer car all morning and got it a bit better on the last run on the Firestone Alternate (red-sidewall) tires. We could have gone faster again, but I made a mistake. On my in -lap I was trying to keep a good temperature in the tires, but I hit the inside wall and it spun me on the outside into turn nine. I'm really disappointed. The team did a great job and the guys have been working really hard. Hopefully, we will start P12 and I will be able to fight my way through tomorrow."

Darren Manning: "Not really where we wanted to be. We didn't get out for a final run on the Firestone Alternate (red-sidewall) tires like we wanted to do. We made a change in the middle of that 15 minutes, which is a risky move and it bit us a little bit. We are still trying to make the car more comfortable for me and for the way that I like it. I'm still getting used to it and working with the guys to make it better and better. I still think we have more to come in speed, setup and with myself. There are just a lot of little things, like with the brakes and handling, that can kill a driver's confidence, and I'm not 100 percent with the car yet. It's not mine yet. With saying all of that, getting one more lap on those tires, we would have been close to the top six and that's really good seeing from where we started. I think Mike would have been challenging for that as well.

Dennis Reinbold: "We had two cars in the top twelve. With Darren's car we ran out of time, otherwise we think we had good shot to get into the top six. With Mike, I should have brought him in, but I left him out a little too long and he just clipped an inside wall trying to hustle as he was doing what he was supposed to do out there and it caused a little problem. We are not starting as good as we would like, but it's okay. We were disappointed coming out of qualifying today with 10th and 12th, but we definitely feel like there is room for improvement and we are ready to do that. We will move up the front, so we are good."
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:43 pm

~~~Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Finish In Top 10 With Manning For 200th Race Start

St.Petersburg, FL (April 5, 2009)- Dreyer & Reinbold Racing kicked off their 200th race start with a bang at the Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg. The team had some ups and downs during the race, but finished on a high with a top-ten result.

Darren Manning wasted no time getting acclimated to his No.23 machine. The 33 year old got the call on Tuesday, proving right away that he was the correct choice. Manning started in tenth position and had a very eventful race to say the least. On the first lap he jumped his way up three positions putting him in seventh place. Starting his first stint out on the Firestone Primary (black-sidewall) tires was the right decision as he made his first stop on lap 34 making the switch to the Firestone Alternate (red-sidewall) tires.

Unfortunately ,the number of yellow flags did not play in the team's favor, but that didn't prevent the Englishman from fighting his way up the grid. On lap 66, Manning came in and put on a second set of the Firestone Alternate (red-sidewall) tires. Shortly after the second stop, Manning had to come in on lap 83 after making contact with Hideki Mutoh, causing his left front tire to go flat. He finished the race on the Firestone Primary (black-sidewall) tires and continued to make passes, bringing his Dreyer & Reinbold Racing chassis to an eighth place finish.

It was another story for rookie, Brit, Mike Conway. The 25 year-old showed good speed all weekend long and was making progress, but unfortunately ran into some bad luck. Starting from 12th position, Conway tried to get around Dan Wheldon, but made contact with him and ended up in the tire wall. The team tried to repair his car, but substantial damage was done to the right rear suspension. Conway's day ended early.

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing heads back to Indianapolis and then onto Kansas for a test before heading to the second round of the IndyCar Series season. The team will hit the pavement April 19th for the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach.

What they have to say...

Mike Conway: "I'm disappointed, but I learned a lot this weekend. We just need to focus on the next race and do well in Long Beach."

Darren Manning: "We had a very good race. We were fast. I was racing with everybody and was up to P3 at one point. As all the pit strategies were playing out everybody stayed out and did a different strategy to us and we might have lost out a little bit with those guys getting lucky with the yellows towards the end and we were a little unlucky with the puncture as well and lost a spot. All in all, we were strong all the way through the race and the car was good on both sets of tires. I was overtaking people all through the race and that was hard to do. I'm very happy with the way the weekend has gone with the limited time."

Dennis Reinbold: "With Mike we just had an unfortunate incident on the first lap and it's too bad, because we really wanted him to get out and run all day and get some experience and learn what the stints feel like as we go through them. We will just have to pick it up in Long Beach and just go from there. We anticipate that he will be very good. Darren did a great job all day. The yellows didn't help us very much today. We had some bad cycles with them. We got up to fourth place early on and then we kept fighting back, and dropped back to 14th and fought all the way back up to 8th. The guys made some great pit stops. We were disappointed with 8th place because we felt that we had more in the car, but we will be ready for Long Beach."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:13 pm

DREYER & REINBOLD RACING AND EMU AUSTRALIA CONTINUES RELATIONSHIP FOR 2009

Indianapolis, IN (April 15, 2009)- Dreyer & Reinbold Racing is proud to announce that their relationship with Emu Australia continues to grow as they enter into the 2009 season together.

The Australian company joined forces as a sponsor partner with Dreyer & Reinbold Racing last year and will be coming back on board for the 2009 IndyCar Series season as they will be the primary sponsor on Mike Conway's No. 24 machine in Long Beach.

"Dreyer & Reinbold's commitment to quality and winning parallels our endeavors at Emu Australia. Their growth and success in the IndyCar series is reflective of that commitment and we are pleased to have the opportunity to support their efforts. Our association has brought significant recognition and value to our brand," said Emu Australia's CEO Ted Houston.

Emu Australia (eem-you) is an Australian premium lifestyle brand that uses 100 percent Australian sheepskin and wool. Founded in 1994, Emu is recognized around the world for its tradition of offering premium comfort products ranging from sheepskin boots, top quality leather sandals and casual comfort slippers to premium merino wool and sheepskin apparel.

"This announcement says a lot about the product we offer," team co-owner Robbie Buhl said. "Emu Australia joined us as an associate sponsor partner at the start of 2008, and to see them continue to make the leap up to a primary role again for the race in Long Beach is great. We hope to assist Emu Australia in maximizing their name and brand."

As Dreyer & Reinbold Racing embarks on their tenth season in the IndyCar Series, they are excited to continue their business relationship with Emu Australia for the remainder of 2009 and beyond. The team will unveil the primary livery this weekend for the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:59 am

DREYER & REINBOLD RACING, KINGDOM RACING AND DAVEY HAMILTON JOIN FORCES FOR 2009 INDIANAPOLIS 500

Indianapolis, IN (April 17, 2009) - Dreyer & Reinbold Racing announced today that they have joined forces with Kingdom Racing and Hewlett Packard to run racing veteran Davey Hamilton for the 93rd running of the Indianapolis 500.

"We are excited to be partnering with Davey Hamilton, Kingdom Racing and Hewlett Packard on this program for the month of May. This is just another example of how Dreyer and Reinbold Racing continues to grow. Our off-season improvement with research and development, and our investments commercially will hopefully help us in a great end result for the Indy 500," said co-owner Dennis Reinbold.

After making the announcement in Long Beach, the three entities announced that they will combine efforts to field the No. 44 Honda-powered IndyCar for Hamilton, who will be competing for the first time with Dreyer & Reinbold Racing. The 46 year old will pilot the Hewlett Packard livery "Touch the Future now" during the month of May.

"Having known Dennis Reinbold and Robbie Buhl since I started running IndyCar, I'm very excited about teaming with Dreyer & Reinbold Racing this May. We've talked about working together in the past and now that Larry Curry is at DRR, my history with him at Vision Racing will help to tie everything together giving me a better chance to be as competitive as ever. I'm also grateful that Hewlett-Packard is returning for their third year with me and my association with Kingdom Racing, now in its second year, really opens up a long term opportunity for new sponsor relationships while giving me a ton of confidence in knowing what we have combined with the guys at Dreyer & Reinbold Racing."

Kingdom Racing founder George Del Canto said "Kingdom Racing is about winning for God's glory. In partnering with Dreyer Reinbold Racing, Davey Hamilton and Hewlett Packard for this year’s Indianapolis 500, we will have a worthy platform to further our mission."

Kingdom Racing's mission is to deliver God’s word through Motor Sports. Their goal is to form a full time IndyCar Series team and, combined with the help of national Christian ministries, reach 1,000,000, men for Jesus Christ. In 2008, Kingdom Racing made history as the first faith-vision organization to ever compete in the 100 years of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Through their second Indy 500 appearance this year, the team hopes to capture national attention with potential partners to execute this mission.

Partnering with Hamilton for a third year is Hewlett Packard. HP is a technology company that operates in more than 170 countries around the world offering consumers a wide range of products and services from digital photography to digital entertainment and from computing to home printing.

Along with Davey Hamilton, Dreyer & Reinbold Racing will field two other entries in the Indianapolis 500 this year. The team will kick-off the month of May with rookie orientation for Mike Conway the first weekend of the month.

About Dreyer and Reinbold Racing
Dreyer & Reinbold Racing enters its 10th season of full-time competition in 2009, making it one of the longest-tenured teams in Indy Racing League competition. Current co-owners, Dennis Reinbold and Robbie Buhl, first teamed in full-time competition at the Walt Disney World Speedway in January of 2000. With Buhl behind the wheel, the two owners tasted victory in their debut race. The 2009 IndyCar Series season-opener on the streets of St. Petersburg marked Dreyer & Reinbold Racing's 200th series start. In its history, the team has boasted a championship list of alumni drivers. Besides Buhl, the team has run Indianapolis 500 winners Al Unser Jr., Buddy Lazier, and Buddy Rice, along with IndyCar Series race winner Ryan Briscoe. The team has one of the longest lines of heritage in American open-wheel racing and the Indianapolis 500 as Dennis Reinbold's grandfather, "Pop" Dreyer, built leading roadsters that raced at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway during the 30s, 40s, and 50s.

About Davey Hamilton
This will mark Hamilton’s ninth Indy 500, as he will attempt to qualify for the May 24th race at the famed Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The seasoned driver finished 14th in the race last year and ninth in 2007. His best finish over eight starts in the Indianapolis 500 came in 1998, when he finished fourth. He also finished sixth in 1997. Until 2001, Davey was a regular series IndyCar driver, with 50 race starts, finishing second in the overall Series points in 1996 and 1997. The Idaho native’s career was nearly ended following a devastating crash at the Texas Motor Speedway on June 9, 2001. After 23 operations and two years of rehabilitation, he is now back in racing condition. Hamilton has competed for a number of IndyCar teams including A.J. Foyt Enterprises, Nienhouse Motorsports, Galles Racing, TeamXtreme, Sam Schmidt Motorsports and Vision Racing.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:54 am

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Off to a Good Start for Practice in Long Beach

Long Beach, CA (April 17, 2009)- Today was a good start to the weekend for Dreyer & Reinbold Racing as they had strong runs in both practice sessions for the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. The team's hard work in St.Petersburg paid off as both cars ran in the top ten most of the day.

Englishman, Mike Conway showed his speed right off the bat. Coming off a tough weekend in St.Petersburg two weeks ago, the 25 year-old proved that he had put all of that behind him and chalked it up to a learning experience. The rookie finished ninth (1:12. 0611) in the first session and fifth in the second session (1:10.9981). Earlier in the week, Conway flew to Boston to practice in the iRacing simulator, where he took the opportunity to learn the Long Beach circuit, as this is his first time to the track.

Darren Manning had a good solid day in practice. After getting the call two weeks ago to pilot the No. 23 machine, the Brit finally has the car and the brakes just the way he likes it and is ready to get the car setup right for qualifying and the race. He was 18th (1:13.4413) fastest in the first session and 13th (1:11.2441) quickest in the second session.

The Indianapolis based squad will be on track for tomorrow's practice at 10:25 a.m. PST and then again at 2:10 p.m. PST for qualifying of the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach.

What they have to say...

Mike Conway: "It was good. We put on new tires and were hoping to have more grip that what we did. It's good to know we still have some more time. We are getting the car more of the way that I like it. We are finding more time on entry to corners. We are very happy with P5. We have just been making small changes and I think we will be good for qualifying tomorrow. It will be tough, but I think we will be okay."

Darren Manning: "We were airborne most of the way around the track. It's a difficult place to know what you have to change to make the car better. Experience is definitely a bonus here. We have definitely made the car better today. Throughout the session we were getting the brakes better, which we were learning from St.Petersburg. I'm really happy with them. Now, we can 100 percent concentrate on the setup of the car. Virtually every change we made we went faster. We didn't put new tires on the car that session. I'm pretty pleased with 13th. We were only seven tenths off. I hate giving excuses, but today's more reasons than excuses, and we have plenty of reasons to be happy."

Dennis Reinbold: "We had a really solid first day, where we were in the top ten most of the day with both cars, just out of it with Darren and fifth with Mike. This is a tough track and we are working on balance issues trying to keep getting better and pointing on getting the cars better for the shootout tomorrow."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:12 pm

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Qualified For The Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach

Long Beach, CA (April 18, 2009)- Today was bittersweet for Dreyer & Reinbold Racing as they qualified for the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. The team proved they have quick cars and have been working hard all weekend, but unfortunately time and traffic was not on their side.

Pilot of the No. 24 Dad's Root Beer machine, Englishman, Mike Conway showed his speed right out of the box, but time stood in his way. The rookie was in the second qualifying group and ran in the top three most of the session. With a couple of minutes left to go, Conway came in after catching traffic and made it back out before the checkered flag, but didn't have time to complete a fast lap. The 25 year-old will start 16th on the grid for tomorrow's race after clocking a time of 1:10.6059.

Darren Manning qualified his No. 23 machine eighteenth on the grid for tomorrow's race with a time of 1:11.2411. The Brit was in the second qualifying group and struggled with under-steer for most of the session. Manning ran into some problems in the second stint. After putting on his Firestone Alternate (red-sidewall) tires, he unfortunately caught EJ Viso coming out of the pits and it kept him from being able to get an adequate number of warm-up laps in. Luckily, experience is on Manning's side, as he competed on the streets of Long Beach in 2003.

What they have to say...

Mike Conway: "I'm disappointed really. We did that one good time and then I was catching people in front of me and was trying to back off and do another lap, but we just couldn't get another one in. It's a shame really. I thought that we would have easily made it through this one even though it was a tough group and a lot of quick guys. I think the guys that weren't quick earlier on kind of popped up with the Firestone Alternate (red-sidewall) tires. Now we'll go back and just concentrate for tomorrow."

Darren Manning: "Disappointing, we still have a lot of under-steer in the car, which is stopping me from going any faster. We made the rear better, better and better, but it was too good for the front to keep up. You don't want to risk too much going into qualifying with changes, but maybe we should have done a bit more than what we did. On my Firestone Alternate (red-sidewall) tires, I caught EJ Viso coming out of the pits and it kind of messed up a couple of my warm-up laps, which should have found me a few tenths, really. I only got one hot lap at the end of the checkered, but I don't think that would have been fast enough to make it in the fast six. I think we can risk changing a few things for morning warm-up and roll the dice some on strategy. We'll do better for tomorrow."

Dennis Reinbold: "We are disappointed with where we qualified overall. We felt like we had a bit more time. We had some good laps going, but things like that happen in qualifying and we will just have to work harder in the race, but that's okay we are ready for that."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:14 am

~~~Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Has Ups and Downs in Long Beach

Long Beach, CA (April 19, 2009)- Dreyer & Reinbold Racing had some ups and downs for the second round of the IndyCar Series at the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. The team showed consistent speed all weekend long, but time and traffic didn't help them early on in qualifying as Mike Conway, pilot of the No. 24 Dad's Root Beer machine and Darren Manning driver of the other DRR car, both qualified 16th and 18th respectively for the race.

As the green flag dropped, both Manning and Conway were off to a very good start. They had a clean first lap and immediately went into fuel conservation mode. The twelve laps were problem free and then the story began to change.

Rookie Mike Conway was taking advantage of his opportunity, as he gained positions and was running well. Things started to turn for the Brit on lap 12 when the AGS (assisted gearshift system) was malfunctioning from that point on. This made the car difficult to drive as the shifting was inconsistent, which finally caught Conway out. As a result, it ended his race.

It was a similar story for Conway's teammate, Manning. The 33 year-old had a clean first lap, and was driving a steady race. On lap 22, the Brit was in the wrong place at the wrong time when he got collected in the five car pile up, running into the back of Hideki Mutoh. He came in on lap 24, replaced his front nose, changed tires and refueled. Unfortunately the incident put Manning a lap down as he finished 16th for the race.

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing heads back to Indianapolis and then onto Kansas for the third round of the IndyCar Series season. The team will hit the pavement April 26th for the Road Runner Turbo Indy 300.

What they have to say...

Mike Conway: "Today was a really tough race. In the beginning we were fine and were making up positions keeping with the guys ahead. We were saving fuel and then we started having issues with the electronic shift assist and unfortunately, that's what ended my day early. Now, we just have to put this race behind us and move onto Kansas."

Darren Manning: "It's a bit of shame that we got caught up in that mess in the hairpin. I had nowhere to go and ended up underneath the rear wheels
of Hideki Mutoh. We were definitely quick enough. It was unfortunate to be a lap down, because we had the speed and could have definitely been in the top ten."

Dennis Reinbold: "We are a little disappointed. Our cars were quick most of the weekend and we know that there was more in the cars. We will just move on and prepare for Kansas."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:00 pm

Milka Duno and CITGO Return to Dreyer & Reinbold Racing

Kansas City, Kansas (April 23, 2009)- Dreyer & Reinbold Racing announced today that Milka Duno will be returning to the team's IndyCar Series effort for 2009. The Venezuelan driver will be competing in a limited schedule starting at Kansas City, Kansas this weekend.

"We are very excited to have Milka back with our team. We had significant momentum last year and we want to pick up where we left off and continue to get results," commented Dennis Reinbold, Dreyer & Reinbold Racing co-owner. "Also, we are very proud that CITGO is returning as a primary sponsor on the No. 23 car," continued Reinbold.

Not only will Duno be partnering with driver Mike Conway, who will be piloting the No. 24 Dad's Root Beer machine, but she will also bring her oval experience to the table that will aid in Conway's learning curve as he visits Kansas for the first time.

"I'm really happy to be racing and to be back at Kansas. This track is a very special place for me, because I made my debut in the IndyCar Series here. The fans are very supportive. I'm also very happy to be coming back to Dreyer & Reinbold Racing as they did a great job last year. Finally, I must thank CITGO for their fantastic support. I really appreciate the opportunity to be back and will work hard to get some great results," stated Milka Duno.

The native of Caracas, Venezuela made her way up the racing ladder competing in various series from 1999 to 2006. In only her second year of racing, Duno was named "Venezuelan Auto Racing Driver of the Year" and won her first Series championship, the Panoz GT Series Championship. In 2001, Duno won four races and was second in the LMP 675 Class of the American Le Mans Series. She made history in 2004 when she became the first woman to win a major international sports car race in North America by capturing the overall win at the Grand Prix of Miami. Her achievements in the Grand Am Rolex Sports Car series includes three overall wins, seven podium finishes, 11 top-five and 26 top-ten finishes. This result includes the second position in the Daytona 24 hour. It was the first and only time that a woman finished on the podium in this race.

In 2007 Duno made the jump to the IndyCar Series with Samax Motorsports in a limited schedule. She became the third female driver to start an IndyCar Series race when she debuted at Kansas. The Venezuelan finished second in the Bombardier Learjet Rookie of the Year standings and earned a career-best 11th in Texas, improving eight positions. Duno competed with DRR in 2008 recording a season-best finish of 14th at Chicagoland, leading five laps, her first in the IndyCar Series. Off the track, Milka spends her time as a spokesperson in charity activities and encouraging youth to complete their education through her program the "Milka Way".

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing will be on track this weekend for the third round of the IndyCar Series in Kansas City, Kansas with Mike Conway piloting the No. 24 Dad's Root Beer entry, and Milka Duno behind the No. 23 CITGO machine. The Road Runner Turbo Indy 300 will be live on the VERSUS network.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:32 pm

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing is Ready for Kansas

Kansas City, Kansas (April 24, 2009)- Dreyer & Reinbold Racing is ready to get back on track and produce positive results for the third round of the IndyCar Series. The team will hit the pavement this weekend for the Road Runner Turbo Indy 300.

Mike Conway, pilot of the No. 24 Dad's Root Beer machine, will be competing on the Kansas Speedway track for the first time this weekend. This will mark the rookie's second time to the circuit and his first oval race. After a promising first test at Homestead and a second at Kansas a couple of weeks ago, the 25 year-old is ready to put St. Petersburg and Long Beach behind him as he is prepared to tackle his first oval event.

Returning to the team this year is Venezuelan driver, Milka Duno, who will be driving the No. 23 CITGO machine on a limited schedule for the 2009 season. Duno will make her return to the IndyCar Series this weekend at the track where she made her career debut in open-wheel racing. Kansas has proved to be a memorable circuit for Duno. In 2007, she started 21st and finished in 14thposition and last year the Caracas, Venezuela native qualified 24thand finished 16th with DRR.

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing will be on track for the official IndyCar Series practice, which begins at 10:00 a.m. ET. The Road Runner Turbo Indy 300 will take place April 25-26 at the Kansas Speedway. It will be televised live on Versus at 4:00 p.m. ET.

What they have to say:

Mike Conway: "I'm looking forward to this weekend. We tested at Kansas a couple of weeks ago and we had a good test at Homestead, so I think we are definitely prepared for the race. We will just go into this race like we have the others, and take it one session at a time. Hopefully, we can bring home a good result."

Milka Duno: "I'm really happy to be racing and to be back at Kansas. This track is a very special place for me because I made my debut in the IndyCar Series here. The fans are very supportive. I'm also very happy to be coming back to Dreyer & Reinbold Racing as they did a great job last year. Finally, I must thank CITGO for their fantastic support. I really appreciate the opportunity to be back and will work hard to get some great results."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:23 pm

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Qualified for the Road Runner Turbo Indy 300

Kansas City, Kansas (April 24, 2009)- Dreyer & Reinbold Racing had positive results for the Road Runner Turbo Indy 300 qualifying session in Kansas City, Kansas today. The team's drivers, Milka Duno (No. 23 CITGO) and Mike Conway (No. 24 Dad's Root Beer), qualified 12th and 16th respectively.

Windy conditions did not hold back Venezuelan driver Milka Duno who qualified on the outside of row seven for tomorrow's race. It was announced on Thursday that the Caracas, Venezuelan native would be returning to Dreyer & Reinbold Racing for a limited schedule. Today's session marks Duno's best qualifying result at the Kansas Speedway. She made her debut at the 1.5 mile oval in 2007 where she qualified 21st and in 2008 with a 24thstarting position.

Englishman, Mike Conway completed his first oval qualifying today. The rookie will start on the outside of row eight in 16th position. Conway continues to gain confidence and looks forward to the race tomorrow. He tested at the Kansas Speedway two weeks ago.

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing will be on track for tomorrow's practice at 10:00 a.m. ET and then again at 4:30 p.m. ET for the Road Runner Turbo Indy 300, which will be live on VERSUS.

What they had to say:

Mike Conway: "We didn't have quite the speed for qualifying, but we are confident in our race car. It's a long race tomorrow and we just need to be there all the way to the end and get a solid result. The guys have worked really hard on the No. 24 Dad's Root Beer car and hopefully we can finish with a positive result."

Milka Duno: "Our qualifying session was good. The No. 23 CITGO car was great and I did the best that I could and everything went well overall. We are very ambitious and want more tomorrow for the race."

Dennis Reinbold: "I think we are going to have really good race cars tomorrow. We would like to have started a little further up, but on these mile-and-a-half ovals it doesn't really matter that much and your race car is the main thing. That's what we really focused on during the practice session was to get really good race cars for tomorrow. As long as we can stay out of trouble and have good stops tomorrow, finishing up pretty far on the grid is a very strong possibility. We are a little disappointed in where we are starting, but that doesn't matter nearly as much as where we finish tomorrow."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:55 am

Road Runner Turbo Indy 300 Full of Twists and Turns for Dreyer & Reinbold Racing

Kansas City, Kansas (April 26, 2009)- Dreyer & Reinbold Racing's first oval of the season was full of twists and turns for the team. The Indianapolis-based squad battled windy weather conditions and plenty of action during the Road Runner Turbo Indy 300 in Kansas City, Kansas today.

As the green flag dropped, both Milka Duno (No. 23 CITGO) and Mike Conway (No. 24 Dad's Root Beer) were off to a very good start. They had a clean first lap and immediately started to get into the groove. Conway gained two positions going from 16th to 14th, while his teammate, Duno, went from 12th to 13th position. Both drivers were running a steady race and after the first full course yellow, had quick pit stops on lap 16, but then it started to change.

Rookie Mike Conway was taking advantage of his opportunity, as he gained positions and experience during his first oval race. The Brit had a taste of what it was like to run through traffic and battled Justin Wilson for a couple of laps. Things started to turn for Conway on lap 68 when came into the pits for his second stop. He received a minor pit infraction that resulted in a drive thru penalty, putting him in 19th position. On lap 104 the 25 year-old had too much under-steer going into turn one and brushed the wall damaging his front right wishbone, ending his day early.

It was a similar story for Duno. The Venezuelan started off strong, but unfortunately struggled with under-steer due to the windy conditions in turns three and four. On lap 97, Milka came in for her second stop and as she tried to get around another team's air hose, but she made contact with it, which resulted in a pit infraction and she had a drive thru penalty. After Duno's final stop the car stalled, but she finished the race in 16th position.

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing looks forward to the month of May. The team heads back to Indianapolis as they prepare for the Indianapolis 500.

What they have to say...

Mike Conway: "I enjoyed my first oval. I was moving up a little bit at the beginning of the race, buying my time and keeping it safe. We were looking good, but when I came into the pits I locked the front left and I'm sorry to the crew, because I clipped one of the guys and luckily he is okay. We got a drive thru and lost two laps. The Dad's Root Beer car felt really good after that and we were making great time, but unfortunately our day ended early. I feel that Kansas prepared me well and I look forward to the month of May."

Milka Duno: "We had a great car all weekend, but the weather conditions created too many problems in turns three and four. There was a lot of under-steer and when we left the pits the car was good for two laps, but then I started to have under-steer and I wasn't able to keep the car flat, because I would lose the front of the car every time I took that corner."

Dennis Reinbold: "With Mike we had a pit incident that put us down two laps, but once we sorted through that we were running pretty quick. In fact we were running times that were equal to, and at times, faster than what the leaders were doing. We made some adjustments to the car and Mike got out and did a great job of passing people and got a lot of experience running in traffic, which is what we wanted to accomplish. Unfortunately, his car had some push and caught a gust of wind and brushed against the wall, which is what ended our day. With Milka, she did a great job qualifying yesterday. She had a good start to the race. Everyone was having trouble in turns three and four where the wind was so strong. She had pretty severe push with the car and couldn't stay on the gas all the way through there, but she held on and drove through all of those stints like she was supposed to and held on. We are disappointed with our finishes, but we learned a lot heading into Indy."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri May 01, 2009 12:39 pm

DREYER & REINBOLD'S MIKE CONWAY SET FOR MINI-MARATHON
Indy 500 Rookie To Hit The Track On Foot Before First Runs In A Race Car

INDIANAPOLIS -- For Indy 500 rookie driver Mike Conway, his first experience at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway will be a little slower than a normal rookie competitor.

The 25-year-old British racer comes to Indianapolis for his first visit to the famed Brickyard on foot rather than behind the wheel of a 230-mile per hour Indy Car.

Conway, a Bromley, Kent, England native, will one of two IndyCar Series drivers running this Saturday, May 2, in the OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini-Marathon through the streets of Indianapolis and on the legendary two and a mile oval.

The driver of the No. 24 Dad's Root Beer Dreyer & Reinbold Honda Dallara has been training hard for his initial competition around the IMS oval before he hits the pavement for practice in the 93rd running of the Indianapolis 500-Mile Race set for Sunday, May 24. Conway, a rookie on the IndyCar Series this year, has yet to circle the famed oval at the wheel of his 700-horsepower open-wheel machine, but the English driver will get a close-up of the track when he runs 13.1 miles beginning at 7:30 a.m. starting from downtown Indianapolis.

"I think it's great that I get to run the circuit before racing on it, because you are really able to appreciate the size of it once you get to run a lap around it," said Conway, the 2006 Macau Grand Prix champion. "I'm really looking forward to the whole experience. This will just be a case of pacing myself and keeping track of how quick I'm going each mile and hopefully by doing that I will finish with a good result."

Conway and fellow driver Will Power will be among a field of 35,000 runners from around the world in action this Saturday in the nation's largest half-marathon that will be televised on WISH-TV [Channel 8].

Conway and Power have been training together in recent months in preparation for the Mini-Marathon as well as conditioning for their racing duties on the IndyCar Series. Conway will be on the Speedway oval in his No. 24 Dad's DRR Honda Dallara beginning on Tuesday, May 5, in the Rookie Orientation Program set for 2 p.m. Both Conway and Power will be in action on Wednesday, May 6, when both rookies and veterans begin full-scale practice runs at the legendary oval.

"When I normally train, I do a lot of endurance exercises like running, biking, and swimming," said Conway, who started his racing career at age eight. "Ever since I signed up to do the mini-marathon, I've changed my training a little bit by doing a lot more sprint work and stuff like that. I haven't changed my routine too much. My main goal has been to keep the mileage up. This will be my first mini-marathon. I have done a lot of 10k runs, but never anything like this. Hopefully after this I will do a full marathon."

The Rookie Orientation Program will run from 2 p.m. to 5 po.m. on Tuesday, May 5, and will continued from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Wednesday, May 6. Veteran drivers will begin practice laps at 2 p.m. Wednesday and all drivers will be able to make runs until 6 p.m.

Qualifying for the 93rd Indianapolis 500 Mile Race starts on Saturday, May 9, followed by May 10, May 16 and 17. The 33-driver field is set to start this year Indianapolis 500 at 1 p.m. [EDT] on Sunday, May 24.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue May 05, 2009 11:19 am

DAVEY HAMILTON SET TO RUN IN FINAL TUNE-UP THIS SATURDAY BEFORE INDY 500 MONTH OF MAY ACTIVITIES BEGIN

Indianapolis, IN (May 01, 2009) -- Davey Hamilton will make one last stop in his quest to return to Indianapolis before practice begins for the 93rd running of the Indianapolis 500. Saturday night, he will climb back into the driver's seat of his familiar orange Western Speed Racing entry in his bid for a 10th victory in one of USAC's most competitive series.

"I'm back with some old friends, the Gerhardt family, and I'm looking forward to one last chance to prep for my 9th Indy 500", said Hamilton. "I love the short tracks and this will allow me a final tune-up before we roll out of pit lane on Tuesday."

The USAC Western Sprint Series will return to the Northern California oval for the first time in nearly three years and Davey would like to better his 7th place finish from two weekends ago when he ran at Roseville following his announcement to return to the Indy 500.

At Long Beach, Davey announced he will drive the No. 44 Honda Dallara IndyCar for Dreyer & Reinbold / Kingdom Racing. The 46 year old will pilot the Hewlett Packard livery "Touch the Future Now" during the month of May.

"When Larry Curry invited me to join the team at DRR, I knew that I wanted to have the best chance for success in this year's race. With the guys at Hewlett Packard returning for a third time, I feel this may be the best prepared car I have ever had and thanks to HP, Kingdom Racing and the team that Dennis Reinbold and Robbie Buhl have put together, I want to take full advantage of every opportunity to be as competitive as ever."

Backing Hamilton for the third consecutive year is Hewlett Packard. HP is a technology company that operates in more than 170 countries around the world offering consumers a wide range of products and services from digital photography to digital entertainment and from computing to home printing.

Kingdom Racing founder George Del Canto said "Kingdom Racing is about winning for God's glory. In partnering with Dreyer Reinbold Racing, Davey Hamilton and Hewlett Packard for this year's Indianapolis 500, we will have a worthy platform to further our mission."

Along with Davey Hamilton, Dreyer & Reinbold Racing will field three other entries in the Indianapolis 500 this year with Mike Conway, John Andretti and Milka Duno. The team will kick-off the month of May with rookie orientation as Davey will shake down the car for Mike Conway on Tuesday.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Thu May 07, 2009 11:38 am

DREYER & REINBOLD'S MIKE CONWAY PASSES ROP RUNS
Young British Driver Runs 217 MPH In Rookie Orientation Program

INDIANAPOLIS -- Rookie driver Mike Conway successfully passed his Indianapolis 500 Rookie Orientation Program test Tuesday in the opening day of action at the famed Indianapolis Motor Speedway in preparations for the 2009 Indy 500 set for Sunday, May 24.

Conway, a native of Bromley, Kent, England, was one of seven rookies taking their first laps around the famed two and a half mile oval in the No. 24 Dreyer & Reinbold Honda Dallara car under sunny skies. The entire field begins practice on Wednesday.

Conway, who ran a one minute, 29.5 seconds last Saturday in the Mini-Marathon, recorded 52 laps in his initial outing on the "Brickyard" with a best speed of 217.063 miles per hour in driving through the four phases of the rookie program. In addition to the seven rookie drivers on track Tuesday, veterans Paul Tracy and Scott Sharp drove their Honda-powered car through a "refresher" session. Tracy clocked the best speed of the day at 223.089 m.p.h.

The seven rookies and other veterans will take laps Wednesday morning at the Speedway before the entire field enters the track at 2 p.m.

Joining Conway on the track Wednesday for the four-car Dreyer & Reinbold Racing effort will be Indy 500 veterans John Andretti, Milka Duno and Davey Hamilton.

Andretti, a nine-time Indy 500 starter, will be in the Richard Petty-owned No. 43 Window World Honda Dallara, while Duno returns for her third 500 in the No. 23 CITGO DRR Honda Dallara. Hamilton, who may have completed more laps at the Speedway than any driver in history through the Indy Experience two-seater program, will attempt to qualify for his ninth Indy 500 in the No. 44 Hewlett Packard Kingdom Racing Honda Dallara.

Qualifying for the 2009 Indianapolis 500 Mile Race starts on Saturday, May 9, followed by time trials on May 10, May 16 and 17. The 33-driver field is set to start this year Indianapolis 500 at 1 p.m. [EDT] on Sunday, May 24.

DREYER & REINBOLD RACING QUOTES:

Mike Conway, driver, No. 24 Dreyer & Reinbold Honda Dallara: "The first run was a bit daunting. It's a big place here and a lot of high speed. Once I did the first run, I came back to the garages and sat down and thought about it. I felt a lot more comfortable and relaxed in the second run, which is the way that you have to be in these cars, just relaxed and feel what's going on. Overall, I'm really happy with the runs we had today. We learned a lot with the car and made some good setup changes, so I think we are looking great for tomorrow."

Dennis Reinbold, team co-owner, No. 24 Dreyer & Reinbold Honda Dallara: "We had a good day and got Mike easily through the Rookie Orientation, so tomorrow we will run a little more. We will then come back and do a motor change to get our full month motor going. Tomorrow we'll get back out running with him and the other three cars as well. It feels like we have accomplished everything that we needed to accomplish, so now we are ready to start the month."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Thu May 07, 2009 11:41 am

PETTY, ANDRETTI, WINDOW WORLD, DRR INDY 500 EFFORT GETS UNDERWAY WEDNESDAY AT FAMED BRICKYARD
Seven-time NASCAR Champion Joins Indy Favorite In World's Biggest Race

INDIANAPOLIS (May 5, 2009) -- John Andretti will actually get to unpack his bags and settle into his hometown as he prepares for his 10th appearance in the Indianapolis 500 this week.

Andretti, the Indy native and one of the most versatile drivers competing in auto racing today, hasn't had the opportunity the last two years to run the full days of May at the famed Indianapolis Motor Speedway. A winner in Indy Cars, NASCAR Cup Stock cars and world-renowned sports cars, Andretti has been vaulted into a second weekend of qualifications in a late entry for the 33-driver field.

Each time, the Mooresville, N.C., resident has placed a car in the starting lineup on the final days of time trials and turned in a solid race performance without much preparation.

That situation will change this year for the veteran racer who still competes regularly on the NASCAR Sprint Cup. Andretti comes to the "Brickyard" with a legendary car owner [seven-time NASCAR champion Richard Petty] and a solid sponsor [Window World] for the entire month of Indy 500 activities. Andretti will drive the No. 43 Window World Honda Dallara during the month.

"The big thing with this new deal is that we're starting on the first day out," said Andretti, whose best Indy 500 finish was fifth in 1991. "I feel like I can go there and work really hard to make sure everything is there for us as a team. We're coming in with a really serious effort. I have driven for Richard in NASCAR and I always wanted him to own a team at Indy. We just had to do it properly."

Andretti believes that teaming up with Dreyer & Reinbold Racing, a regular IndyCar Series operation, helps his new Richard Petty-owned Indy Car team for the month of May. Led by veteran Larry Curry, the Dreyer & Reinbold team brings years of experience to Andretti's effort.

"The Dreyer & Reinbold team has spent a lot of money in development this year," he said. "It's not like we're coming in part-timing this thing or just to have fun with it. The month of May is a unique month at Indy. Indy is a track I passed every day when I was going to high school. Our family grew up around the Speedway. To have Richard be a part of it, my passion is to always do well in the No. 43."

Two of auto racing's most famous names -- Petty and Andretti -- come together again this week when practice runs get underway for the 2009 Indianapolis 500 Mile Race.

"Last year was the first time that I've been there for the race," said Petty. "With STP [as a sponsor], we used to go up there for qualifying, but we always had our Cup racing to get back to. The atmosphere at the 500 is something special. You just have to be there to really understand how big it is. You can tell people how big these events are, but you have to be there."

Joining Petty and Andretti in the unique Indy 500 partnership is Window World, the world's largest replacement window company from North Wilkesboro, N.C. Window World sponsored Andretti earlier this year at the Daytona 500.

"We want to build our brand," said Todd Whitworth, president of Window World. "Partnering with the names of John Andretti, Richard Petty and the Dreyer & Reinbold group are certainly going to help us do that and the involvement in the biggest race in the world."

Andretti will have three teammates to share information with the Petty and Dreyer & Reinbold affiliation as Indy 500 veterans Davey Hamilton and Milka Duno joined Andretti along with rookie Mike Conway.

Andretti was the first driver to compete in both the Indy 500 and Charlotte 600 on the same day back in 1994. With his full month commitment at Indy, Andretti will not be driving at Charlotte this year. But he will rejoin the NASCAR Sprint Cup tour at the Dover, Del., race on May 31.

Dreyer and Reinbold Racing, co-owned by Indianapolis businessman Dennis Reinbold and former driver Robbie Buhl, has fielded cars in the Indy 500 since 2000. Reinbold's grandfather, "Pop" Dreyer was a famed motorcycle racer in 1920s and built contending Indy 500 cars in the 1930s and 1940s. Buhl competed in eight Indy 500 Mile Races in his driving career.

"It is great to have a Petty and an Andretti teaming up with Dreyer & Reinbold Racing for this year's Indy 500," said Reinbold "The names of Petty and Andretti are the biggest in racing. And the Dreyer name has been renown in the Indy 500. So it made sense to combine all for a solid effort this year. Bringing in Window World as a primary sponsor has given Richard, John and our team a chance to be a contending program in the world's biggest race. We're excited to get started on Wednesday."

This year's Indianapolis 500 begins a three-year Centennial celebration for the legendary two and a half mile oval which opened in 1909. The first Indianapolis 500 Mile Race was held in 1911. No Indy 500 races were contested during World War I [1917-1918] and World War II (1942-43-44-45).

Practice sessions for the 2009 Indianapolis 500 begin on Wednesday, May 6, with qualifying rounds set for May 9-10 and May 16-17. Final practice is Friday, May 22, with the popular Carb Day activities. The 93rd Indy 500 is scheduled for 1 p.m. [EDT] on Sunday, May 24.