2009 IRL Team Reports: Dale Coyne Racing

IRL Team reports for the 2009 IRL season

Moderator: mlittle

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue May 12, 2009 1:10 pm

Justin happy with 15th in Indy 500 qualifying

Justin qualified 15th for this year's Indianapolis 500, going one better than his rookie effort of 16th a year ago. The #18 Z-Line Designs car will line up on the outside of Row 5 on the 33-car grid. Helio Castroneves took pole position for Team Penske and his team-mate Ryan Briscoe and Dario Franchitti (Chip Ganassi Racing) complete the front row.

The first 11 spots on the grid were secured on Saturday while Sunday's 6 hour qualifying window set positions 12 to 22. Having missed out on 11th spot by 0.2 mph on the very last qualifying run on Saturday, Justin's four-lap average qualifying speed of 222.903 mph set early on Sunday afternoon was good enough to hold on to 12th spot for much of Sunday afternoon. As the wind died down, three other cars jumped ahead, pushing Justin back to P15. Towards the end of the day the team contemplated withdrawing his earlier qualifying time and going out for another run, but in the end they decided against risking a guaranteed position to jump up one row.

"I really enjoyed being out there," said Justin. "The Z-Line Designs car was working well, and Dale Coyne Racing had the car to where it was comfortable and fun to drive. Each time we went out this weekend we were quicker. The run was fairly straightforward and things really worked out. I noticed straight away that I had more push than I was expecting, but I kept playing with the roll bars and weight jacker to cancel out the understeer. It usually gets worse lap after lap, but I was able to cancel it out with my adjustments. The more laps in the car, the more I enjoy this place and appreciate what it's about. Every time I came out of the corners, I had a big grin on my face!"

The Dale Coyne Racing team will now concentrate on setting up the car in race mode. "I think qualifying on the first weekend was a big advantage for us," said Justin. "We're comfortably in the race and can now start concentrating on working on simulated race runs."

"I'm very proud of Justin and the team's performance today," said team owner Dale Coyne. "Every adjustment we made to prepare for qualifying went in the right direction and we were rewarded today with an excellent starting position for Justin."

All sorts of activity will carry on at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway between now and the race on 24 May, including next Saturday's third day of qualifying and Sunday's "Bump Day" when the remaining hopefuls will compete for the final 11 spots on the grid.

www.justinwilson.co.uk
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat May 16, 2009 10:39 am

Tomas Scheckter to Drive for Dale Coyne Racing Second Entry at Indy

Indianapolis, Indiana (May 15, 2009) -- The much anticipated weekend line up for the final attempt at making the famed 93rd running of the Indianapolis 500 has gained a strong entry in the Mona Vie, Dale Coyne Racing #19 driven by Tomas Scheckter.

"We are excited to have Tomas as part of our team," said team owner Dale Coyne. "He has shown great promise, and now with Mona Vie sponsoring his car, we anticipate a strong showing at this weekend's race."

MonaVie is an energy drink designed to provide the antioxidants a body needs to maintain a healthy and active lifestyle. Mona Vie is proven to stimulate healthy joints and offers the nutrition needed to support the cardiovascular system.

"This is an excellent opportunity for us to showcase our products on the biggest motorsports stage in the country," commented Mona Vie spokesperson Phil Sack. "We look forward to a great month with Tomas and Dale Coyne, and are proud to represent our 2.3 million distributors."

Tomas will take to the track today, Friday May 15th, in preparation for tomorrow's qualifying for the final 11 spots in the Indianapolis 500.

"I am very thankful to Mona Vie and its dedicated distributors for this opportunity," commented Scheckter. "I am also grateful to Dale for giving me this opportunity, as well as the chance to work with Bill Pappas again. We are all really excited about our potential here at Indy."

Tomas Scheckter is no stranger to Indy. If he makes the field tomorrow, it will be his eighth start at the Brickyard, a race he has lead several times, but yet to win. The talented South African is a third generation racer and son of former World Champion Jody Scheckter. Jody won the Formula One World Championship in 1979 driving for Ferrari.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon May 18, 2009 1:20 am

Tomas Scheckter Qualifies Second Entry for Dale Coyne Racing at Indy

Indianapolis, Indiana (May 16, 2009) -- Adding a second entry during the last week of qualifying at the Indianapolis 500 is not an easy task for this storied race, but Tomas Scheckter accomplished it Saturday for Dale Coyne Racing with less than a few hours of practice. After a long rain delay, the car was rolled out on the grid just as the wind increased making qualifying difficult. Tomas Scheckter impressively posted the fifth fastest four lap average qualifying speed of the day at 220.212 MPH. The Mona Vie, Dale Coyne Racing #19 car will start in the 27th position.

"The car felt strong on my qualifying laps but the wind definitely played its part today," said Scheckter. "I'm happy for my sponsor, Mona Vie and my crew at Dale Coyne Racing who worked very hard to get the car up to speed quickly."

"I have to thank Tomas and Dale Coyne Racing for the tremendous effort just to qualify for the Indy 500," commented Mona Vie spokesperson Phil Sack. "We now look forward to competing in the Indy 500, and I can't think of a better showcase for our newest product, Mona Vie Energy than having Tomas represent our 2.3 million distributors in this historic race."

Tomas Scheckter is making his eighth start at the Brickyard, a race he has lead several times, but yet to win. The talented South African is a third generation racer and son of former World Champion Jody Scheckter. Jody won the Formula One World Championship in 1979 driving for Ferrari.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue May 19, 2009 9:35 am

Tomas Scheckter Re-Qualifies as Fastest Bump Day Position for the Indy 500

Indianapolis, Indiana (May 17, 2009) - What dawned as a casual day for the 27th qualified Tomas Scheckter turned into high drama as surprising speed was found by several drivers.

The Sunday before the Indianapolis 500 is traditionally known as "bump day," a day when anyone not qualified for the famed May Classic can try to qualify by posting a faster four-lap average than the slowest car in the full field of 33 cars. The day provided excellent speed conditions. With cool temperatures in the 60s, light humidity and winds in the 10-15 MPH range versus the 20-25 MPH winds yesterday, several surprises started early.

As the track opened for qualifying at 12 p.m. today, Milka Duno and Nelson Philippe qualified solidly in the field. Like Nelson, several cars realized how good the conditions were and withdrew their already qualified times to post a faster speed, thus keeping them at bay from the infamous "on the bubble" position.

At the beginning of the day the Dale Coyne Racing #19 Mona Vie car had only planned to do full tank runs and stand on its qualifying time of 220.212 MPH of yesterday. But virtually all of those cars that withdrew their time and re-qualfied were posting faster speeds than the #19 Mona Vie entry.

With the track closing for any other qualifying attempts at 6:00 p.m., the team started to work on qualifying times at 4:45 p.m. in the afternoon. Just before those initial runs, Tomas had gone from seven positions safe from his yesterday time to being the man "on the bubble."

The talented South African wasted no time getting back up to speed posting a practice average of 221.7 MPH. "We were concerned that either former Indianapolis 500 winner Buddy Lazier, or the experienced John Andretti, who were both on the outside looking in, might be able to bump our time," commented team owner Dale Coyne. "Tomas was up for it and the team had put the car back in stellar qualifying trim, so we made the decision to withdraw our car from the field and re-qualify to post a stronger and safer speed."

In the closing minutes before 6:00 p.m., Scheckter took to the track in his MonaVie sponsored Dallara. Much to the delight of fans, Tomas Scheckter performed brilliantly not only protecting his position, but posting the fastest speed of the day with a four-lap average of 221.496. As a crowning jewel, Tomas also won the Red Gold Zone Award for turning the fastest single qualifying lap on Bump Day at 221.845 MPH.

"Wow, I never thought this would be a day like this," gleamed Scheckter. "I can't say enough about the team and its decision to switch the car back to qualifying mode. This made it perfect our first time out. This is a very special accomplishment."

With all of the speed and bumping going on today, and by virtue of Tomas running much faster than his speed of yesterday, Tomas actually moved up one spot to start the race in 26th. "The field has never been this competitive," said Coyne. "With a 500 winner missing the show and an Andretti the last one to qualify, it is no wonder that this is the closest field in Indy 500 history."

Qualifying for the 93rd running of the Indianapolis 500 is now complete and the teams and drivers will prepare for carburetion day next Friday, May 22. The Indy 500 will be broadcast live on May 24, 2009 on ABC Network. Coverage begins at 1:00 p.m. EST

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun May 24, 2009 2:48 pm

Justin gets ready for the Indy 500

After qualifying for the Indianapolis 500 back on 10th May, Justin and Dale Coyne Racing have been working hard to prepare the #18 Z-Line Designs car for the race this Sunday. Justin will start from the 15th spot on the outside of Row 5, one place higher than his Indy 500 debut a year ago.

For the drivers and the fans the Greatest Spectacle in Racing is like nothing else on the IndyCar Series calendar. They’ll have just one more hour of practice on Friday (Carb Day), before spending all of Saturday engaged in a variety of traditional ceremonies, including a public driver meeting at the track and the festival parade in downtown Indianapolis.

"I'm really looking forward to Carb Day so we can work on race set-ups and making fuel runs,” said Justin. “It's important to get the car stable so we can run different lines. Running three wide on the straights is a bit nerve-racking here because the track is very narrow. Overall I'm confident the Z-Line Designs team have done great job in providing me with a solid car for Sunday's race."

The 200 lap race begins at 1pm EDT Sunday, with live TV coverage in the US from noon on ABC. Fans in the UK can follow the race live on Sky Sports 3 from 6pm BST.

www.justinwilson.co.uk

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun May 24, 2009 9:37 pm

Dale Coyne Racing Team's Drivers Justin Wilson and Tomas Scheckter Ready for Indy 500

Indianapolis, Indiana (May 22, 2009) -- The Dale Coyne Racing Team drivers Justin Wilson and Tomas Scheckter are ready for the 93rd running of the "Greatest Spectacle in Racing," the Indianapolis 500. The field is one of the closest matched in the history of this celebrated event and Wilson and Scheckter are naturally excited to get in their cars as they mentally prepare for the race.

"The car is strong and I'm ready to put my best effort into running a solid race," said Wilson. "I think the car is set-up very well for running different lines, which is important for this race. I really want a good performance for my sponsor, Z-Line Designs, and my crew at Dale Coyne Racing who have been tremendous to work with this year."

"I'm looking forward to running strong at Indy," expressed Scheckter. "This is my eighth start here and having come so close to winning, I'm glad to have the opportunity to run in this very competitive field this year. Dale Coyne Racing has been great to work with and I'm confident in the car, which is a key factor in running well. I'd like to thank Mona Vie Energy for the opportunity to compete."

The Dale Coyne Racing Team has completed preparations on "Carburetion Day" today, which is the traditional final practice before the race. The team is confident that both cars are set-up to compliment each driver's style and both crews are focused on performing at their best.

"I think that this is going to be an exciting race for both Wilson and Scheckter," said team owner Dale Coyne. "We have two strong drivers in the field and I know we have the speed to compete at this historic track. This is a long race and strategy always plays a big part in performing well here."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue May 26, 2009 10:32 am

Justin disappointed with premature end to Indy 500 run

After contact with the wall in Turn 1 with 40 laps remaining, Justin ended up classified in 23rd place for the 93rd running of the Indy 500 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The race was won by Helio Castroneves (Team Penske) ahead of Dan Weldon (Panther Racing), with Danica Patrick (Andretti Green Racing) taking the final podium position.

Starting from 15th on the grid, things were looking encouraging for much of the race, with Justin able to sit comfortably in the midfield and await opportunities to make progress. Putting in a respectable time of 219.730 mph on Lap 32 (40.9594s) Justin set his quickest, and the 16th fastest, lap of the day.

Much of the good work done on the track was reversed by misfortune during one or other of the six pit stops that preceded the early exit. Pitting under yellow on Lap 59, Justin did a half-spin in front of his box, stalling in pit lane. The Dale Coyne Racing crew had to let all other traffic go past before recovering the situation. Justin made amends and gradually worked his way up through the pack to his highest position of tenth. All this good work was undone when, under another yellow, he lost eleven places in a single pit stop when a host of other drivers were able to get out ahead.

Although despondent with the outcome of the race, Justin took some positives from the progress made in recent weeks. He said: "I'm very disappointed that we've not been able to finish the race. Everyone at Dale Coyne Racing has worked hard this month and I thought we were in for a reasonable finish. The #18 Z-Line Designs car was running well, but after my last pit stop we weren't moving forwards. A couple of cars went past me and I lost downforce. The car started to turn towards the wall and I tried to get it back down but couldn't save it."

Today's race earned Justin 12 championship points, and leaves him 12th in the standings with a total of 77 points after the first four events. The IndyCar Series now turns its attention to preparation for next weekend's Milwaukee Mile, where Justin will hope to repeat his podium finish achieved in Champ Car days.

www.justinwilson.co.uk

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue May 26, 2009 10:40 am

Indy 500: Dale Coyne Racing, Scheckter race report

Tomas Scheckter Finishes with a Strong 12th Place in the Indy 500 for Dale Coyne Racing

Indianapolis, Indiana (May 24, 2009) -- Tomas Scheckter finished with a strong 12th place finish in the 93rd running of the Indianapolis 500, after starting in the 26th position. The #19 Mona Vie car kept gaining positions as the day progressed and he managed to avoid all of the on-track incidents throughout the day. Tomas drove an intelligent race with the help of the Dale Coyne Racing crew. Only minor adjustments were made to the car during his pit stops and Tomas was pleased with the balance of the car. His experience at Indy was a welcome addition to the team.

"I feel good; I'm so glad the team at Mona Vie put their trust in me," said Tomas Scheckter immediately after the race. "Going from 26 to 12 was just awesome. I want to thank the Dale Coyne Racing team for this opportunity."

"Tomas ran an excellent race today," exclaimed Dale Coyne. "He performed flawlessly and his race management skills are some of the best in the business. We certainly hope that we can run Tomas again this year and let him continue his success on track."

The IndyCar Series now moves to Milwaukee for the ABC Supply Co. Inc.- AJ Foyt 225 race next Sunday May 31, 2009.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue May 26, 2009 10:41 am

Indy 500: Dale Coyne Racing, Wilson race report

Justin Wilson Has an Up and Down Day at the Indianapolis 500

Indianapolis, Indiana (May 24, 2009) -- Justin Wilson had his ups and downs at the Indy 500 today. The likable Brit started out strong in 15th position and made great strides during the day through positive changes made during each pit stop. Justin was happy with the balance of the car going into the final 50 lap stretch and continued to run strong until 39 laps to go when Alex Lloyd, running on the outside of Justin, dropped down close in front of him and took the air away from the #18 Z-Line Designs car. Justin lost his downforce and did a 360 degree spin in Turn 1 before making contact with the outside barrier that ended his day in the 23rd position.

"It was a bit of a let-down with how the day ended," said Justin Wilson. "I just couldn't hold the car after the grip went completely away in turn one. I have to put this behind me and focus on Milwaukee where I think the team can run strong."

"I'm disappointed for Justin," said team owner Dale Coyne. "He has been terrific all month and was running well when his day ended so close to the finish. I'm proud of his contributions to the team and for making our second driver, Tomas Scheckter, feel comfortable with the team here at Indy."

The IndyCar Series now moves to Milwaukee for the ABC Supply Co. Inc.- AJ Foyt 225 race next Sunday May 31, 2009.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri May 29, 2009 11:19 am

Justin looking for a strong run at The Milwaukee Mile

Justin is looking to put in a good performance at Sunday's running of the ABC Supply/A.J.Foyt 225 IndyCar Series race at The Milwaukee Mile.

Recording finishes of 11th, 4th and 2nd in Champ Car days, Justin came 7th in his 2008 IndyCar debut at this short oval circuit, which is the oldest active racetrack in the world dating back to 1903.

"I'm really excited to be going back to The Milwaukee Mile this year" said Justin, who drives the #18 Z-Line Designs car for Dale Coyne Racing, "With the disappointment of last weekend's Indy 500 behind me, I want to concentrate on the next stretch of ovals before we get back to the road and street courses in July."

The difference between the two venues is something that demands a great deal of adjustment, both in terms of car set-up and in a driver's approach. Justin commented: "The scaling and the sizing (from Indy to The Mile) changes so much, it just blew me away the first time. I'll be much better prepared this year to deal with that. Milwaukee is a relatively flat track that you can almost treat as if you were turning on a road course. It is quite a challenge to adjust - it's hard enough doing one lap there right on the edge, to do four you've got to make sure the car is right because you just can't wing it. It's all about getting your line right, you have to be absolutely perfect on the line to get through there to carry the speed."

Qualifying is scheduled for 3:45 - 5:00pm local time (9:45 - 11:00pm in the UK) on Saturday 30 May, with the race itself due off at 2:50pm local time on Sunday (8:50pm in the UK). Race coverage in the US is on the ABC network. Qualifying and the race can be followed live at www.indycar.com. There is no live TV coverage in the UK, but highlights are due to be shown on Channel Five at 2:00am on Wednesday 3rd June.

www.justinwilson.co.uk

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:20 am

Milwaukee qualifying leaves Justin with work to do

Justin will start the ABC Supply / AJ Foyt 225 IndyCar Series race at Milwaukee from 15th position on the grid. The sixth driver to go out and qualify, Justin recorded an average speed of 161.411 mph around the Milwaukee Mile circuit in a total time of 1:30.5512 for his four-lap effort.

Pole position was won by last year’s winner, Ryan Briscoe (Team Penske) who posted a four-lap qualifying track record time of 1:26.7966 at an average speed of 168.394 mph. Briscoe’s team-mate Helio Castroneves, winner at Indy last week, will start from the back of the grid after hitting the wall on his first qualifying lap.

Clearly there is work for Justin and the Dale Coyne Racing team to do, if the #18 Z-Line Designs car is to progress through the field. Reflecting on the day’s work, Justin said: "I was pleased with the set-up and I thought the whole team did a terrific job of making adjustments to the car in very windy conditions today. I'm looking forward to the race tomorrow as I think I can keep fine-tuning the car during the race. I love the flat turns at the Milwaukee Mile and it should be an exciting drive."

The green flag for the ABC Supply / AJ Foyt 225 is due to fall at 2:50pm tomorrow, 8:50pm UK time. Race coverage in the US is on the ABC network, and it can be followed live at www.indycar.com. There is delayed TV coverage in the UK at 11:00pm on Sky Sports
HD2.

www.justinwilson.co.uk

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:20 am

Justin comes home 15th at windy Milwaukee Mile

Justin came home in 15th place at The Milwaukee Mile in today's running of the ABC Supply / AJ Foyt 225 IndyCar Series race, having started from that position on the grid.

When the chequered flag fell, Justin was six laps down and had run at an average speed of 134.802 mph. The race was won by Scott Dixon (Target Chip Ganassi), ahead of Ryan Briscoe (Team Penske) and Dario Franchitti (Target Chip Ganassi).

When rookie Mike Conway (Dreyer and Reinbold Racing) hit the wall on lap 57 and caused a yellow flag, Justin was able to make a clean stop and hold position. That was the only caution for a racing incident. There was a yellow another 100 laps further on, to clear debris in Turn 2, but nothing else happened to interrupt progress of the race. Justin was to pit twice more, on his 100th and 158th laps, and both were completed in regulation time. His fastest lap of 155.689 mph came on Lap 134, but that left him at the bottom of the fast lap chart for the day.

After completing his day's work, Justin said: "It was difficult to anticipate the conditions because of the wind out there. Overall I was pleased with the #18 Z-Line Designs car today, and the Dale Coyne Racing team did a great job all afternoon."

Justin slips one place in the race for the drivers' championship, to 13th position, with a haul of 92 points after seven races.

Having completed the first half of a run of six consecutive ovals, the IndyCar series now moves to Texas Motor Speedway for next Saturday's night race.

www.justinwilson.co.uk

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:21 am

Justin Wilson Finishes 15th at The Milwaukee Mile

West Allis, Wisconsin (May 31, 2009) -- Today, Dale Coyne Racing driver Justin Wilson finished 15th at the famed Milwaukee Mile, the oldest continually operating motor speedway in the country. Justin drove a solid race despite the cool, windy conditions that made it difficult to find a good line and good setup in the corners. The Dale Coyne crew performed flawlessly in the pits to keep Justin competitive.

"We had a good run today," said Justin Wilson. "It was difficult to anticipate the wind in race conditions but the #18 Z-Line Designs car performed well and the crew had great stops all day. Now, we are looking forward to our first night race next weekend at The Texas Motor Speedway."

Justin Wilson, the Dale Coyne Racing team and the #18 Z-Line Designs car will head to The Texas Motor Speedway for the Bombardier Lear Jet 550. Coverage begins at 9 p.m. EST on the VERSUS Network.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:02 pm

Justin heads to Texas Motor Speedway

From Indianapolis to Milwaukee to Dallas: next up for Justin and Dale Coyne Racing is Saturday night’s Bombardier Learjet 550 at the Texas Motor Speedway, their third race in as many weeks. After the virtually flat Milwaukee Mile, the 24-degree banking in the turns of the 1.5-mile oval is the steepest of any track on the IndyCar Series calendar.

"I'm looking forward to Texas,” said Justin. “The steep banking and high speeds mean everyone tends to run in a pack, so I'm expecting it to be a fast and crazy race! Hopefully we can be more competitive this weekend and come away with a solid result."

The event gets underway with a practice session on Thursday night, followed by practice and qualifying on Friday.

www.justinwilson.co.uk

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:48 am

Justin qualifies 17th at Texas Motor Speedway

Justin qualified 17th for Saturday night's Bombardier Learjet 550 at Texas Motor Speedway after setting a four-lap average qualifying speed of 212.021 mph in the Dale Coyne Racing entry. Pole position was won by Dario Franchitti of Target Chip Ganassi (214.513 mph).

"I'm not too concerned about our qualifying position tonight," said Justin. "The racing is so tight at Texas that as long as you stay in the pack you can get a tow and passing is quite fun here. It's a long race and I think the #18 Z-Line Designs car can do well here in race trim."

Justin has more to say about the unique nature of this high banked oval in the Texas Track Guide at www.justinwilson.co.uk.