Brawn GP / Mercedes GP

Formula 1 Team reports for the 2009 F1 season includes race previews, reports and reviews
Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:44 am

2009 JAPANESE GRAND PRIX
SUZUKA
4 OCTOBER

RACE

Brawn GP moved a step closer to securing the 2009 Constructors' Championship at the Japanese Grand Prix in Suzuka today. Points-scoring finishes for Rubens Barrichello and Jenson Button in seventh and eighth positions sees the team requiring half a point from the remaining two races to take the title.

Starting from sixth and tenth positions on the grid, Rubens and Jenson followed two-stop strategies as they achieved the team's objective of scoring points following a difficult qualifying on Saturday where a number of penalties resulted in a mixed-up grid.

After a good start from sixth place, Rubens maintained his position for the majority of the race before losing a place under the safety car and bringing his Brawn-Mercedes car home in seventh position for two points.

Jenson had a more eventful race as he overtook Robert Kubica on lap three and then took advantage of a clash between Heikki Kovalainen and Adrian Sutil to move into the points in eighth position. Quick laps set him up to jump Nico Rosberg at the final pit stop for seventh position before the safety car intervened and Jenson finished in eighth place for one point.

RESULTS

Drivers Car No. Chassis No. Race Result / Fastest Lap
Rubens Barrichello 23 BGP 001-03 P7 01:33.910
Jenson Button 22 BGP 001-02 P8 01:33.251

Weather Warm and sunny
Temperatures Air: 25-26°C Track: 35-41°C

RUBENS BARRICHELLO
"Qualifying proved crucial for my weekend as it put me ahead of Jenson for the race and I was able to make up a point on him. I struggled with the set-up today and wasn't able to get the best from the car which is a shame. I was able to follow Kimi when we were both running on primes in the first stint but once he switched to options, he gained a lot of time on me. We would have finished in sixth place without the safety car and that's the best that I could have hoped for today. It's frustrating but that's the way racing goes and the most important thing is that I gained a point on Jenson this weekend. I'm looking forward to my home race in Sao Paulo in two weeks. The Brazilian Grand Prix is always a very special occasion for me and I'll be giving it my all there to do as well as possible for the championship."

JENSON BUTTON
"Today was about picking up points after our eventful qualifying session yesterday and that's exactly what I did. Starting from tenth on the grid was always going to make for a tough race but my pace was really good in the race and I was very happy with the performance of the car. I was pulling massive amounts of time out of the guys in front me but they were on heavier fuel loads which held me up as it's difficult to overtake here. I did the best that I could in the car that we had this weekend and we got the maximum performance out of it with a points-scoring finish. I only lost one point to Rubens today which is my main priority. Obviously we lost a few points to Sebastian but we were expecting them to be strong here. We go to two circuits now which should suit our car so I'm excited about the end of the season and already looking forward to the next race in Brazil."

ROSS BRAWN
"We recovered well in the race today from a problematic qualifying session and both drivers brought home valuable points in the fight for the Constructors' Championship. Whilst we were aware that this track would favour our competitors, I am pleased with the performance of the team and drivers over the weekend to extract the maximum from the car and add to our championship points tally, leaving us with half a point required to take the Constructors' title. The next two races at Interlagos and Abu Dhabi should suit the characteristics of our car much better so we can look forward to a very exciting conclusion to the season."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:42 pm

2009 BRAZILIAN GRAND PRIX
INTERLAGOS
16-18 OCTOBER

PREVIEW

The Brazilian Grand Prix, Round 16 of the 2009 FIA Formula One World Championship, takes place on Sunday 18 October at the Autodromo José Carlos Pace in the city of Sao Paulo.

Known as Interlagos from its location between the two man-made lakes that provide water and electricity to Sao Paulo, the track first hosted the Brazilian Grand Prix in 1973. The 4.309km circuit is the highest of the year at 800m above sea level and one of only four anti-clockwise circuits on the current Formula One calendar.

The track's inner city location, combined with the passion of the Brazilian fans, makes Interlagos one of the most atmospheric venues of the year and the involvement of Brawn GP's local hero Rubens Barrichello in the title fight will only add to that.

Brawn GP will be sponsored by the Brazilian brewing company Cervejaria Petrópolis for their home race with the Itaipava and TNT Energy Drink brands featuring on the Brawn-Mercedes car and the helmets of Rubens Barrichello and Jenson Button.

ROSS BRAWN, TEAM PRINCIPAL

Q. What are the main challenges of the Interlagos circuit?

"With the Constructors' and Drivers' Championships still to be decided, the Brazilian Grand Prix should be a fascinating and exciting weekend for the fans at the circuit and viewers around the world. Interlagos provides a great challenge for the teams and drivers with the high altitude location and the notoriously bumpy surface as two of the key considerations when setting up the cars for the weekend. The reduced atmospheric pressure causes a loss in engine power and aerodynamic performance while the cars have to run with an increased ride height to cope with the bumps which are particularly noticeable in the braking area for Turn 4, the Descida do Lago. Interlagos is a great venue and the lap is characterised by long straights with flowing left-hand corners and a twisty infield section. The changes in elevation give the circuit an almost three-dimensional feel and the electric atmosphere from the Brazilian fans always makes for a spectacular occasion. The weather has been known to play its part in races at Interlagos over the years so we will be keeping a close eye on the forecast for the weekend. Brazil will be an important race for the team and our drivers and we're looking forward to getting the track action underway."

RUBENS BARRICHELLO

Q. Are you looking forward to your home Grand Prix at Interlagos?

"The Brazilian Grand Prix is always a special weekend for me and I am very proud of my home race. I was born very close to Interlagos and used to visit the circuit as a young boy and began my karting career there when I was six years old. I really enjoy having my family and friends around for the weekend and it's fantastic to race in front of the Brazilian fans and receive so much support over the weekend. The circuit has become almost like a second home to me over the years but it still retains a real sense of challenge. Our car should suit the layout of the track this year and you really need to have full confidence in your set-up to maximise the quick corners, the tight infield section and the bumpy surface. Interlagos has some great corners such as the Curva do Laranjinha and there are real overtaking opportunities into the S do Senna at the start of the lap and under braking for Descida do Lago at the end of the back straight. I will be giving it my all this weekend to achieve the best possible result here in Brazil and hope the fans enjoy a fantastic weekend of racing."

JENSON BUTTON

Q. What are your thoughts ahead of the Brazilian Grand Prix this weekend?

"This year will be the first time for a while that we've been to Sao Paulo for the Brazilian Grand Prix when it hasn't been the final race of the season but it's still going to be such an exciting weekend. There's always a great atmosphere at Interlagos and the Brazilian fans are so passionate about motor racing and particularly Formula One. Interlagos is quite an unusual circuit and it's an enjoyable challenge for the drivers. The anti-clockwise direction, changes in elevation and bumpy surface all keep your attention fully focused and the high-speed left-hand corners add an extra physical challenge. It's an important race for me and for the team in terms of the Championships and we will be working hard to get the best results possible from the weekend. It's going to be a challenge but one that we are all looking forward to."

Interlagos Stats

Circuit Length: 4.309km
Race Distance: 305.909km
Number of Laps: 71

Full Throttle: 63%
Brake Wear: Medium
Tyre Compounds: Super Soft / Medium
Downforce Level: Medium - 7/10
Tyre Usage: Medium
Average Speed: 216kph (134mph)

Race Weekend Schedule (all times are local)

Friday 16 October
Practice 1: 1000 - 1130
Practice 2: 1400 - 1530

Saturday 17 October
Practice 3: 1100 - 1200
Qualifying: 1400 - 1500

Sunday 18 October
Race: 1400

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:44 pm

INTERLAGOS

PRACTICE

Brawn GP's Rubens Barrichello and Jenson Button began the team's on-track preparations for Sunday's Brazilian Grand Prix at the Interlagos circuit in the city of Sao Paulo today.

With the team's focus on maximising the set-up of the BGP 001 cars for the race, Rubens and Jenson evaluated a number of different set-up options and tyre evaluations working with the Bridgestone Potenza prime and option tyres.

The morning practice session took place with light rain developing into a brief heavier shower thirty minutes into the session which kept the cars in the garage for a short while. The afternoon session was largely dry allowing the team to successfully complete the majority of today's planned programme.

Rubens completed 70 laps ending the day in third position at his home track, with Jenson totaling 74 laps in fifth position.

RESULTS

Drivers Car No. Chassis No. Free Practice 1 Free Practice 2
Rubens Barrichello 23 BGP 001-03 32 laps 01:12.874 P2 38 laps 01:12.459 P3
Jenson Button 22 BGP 001-02 29 laps 01:13.141 P7 45 laps 01:12.523 P5

Weather Overcast with light showers
Temperatures Air: 17-20°C Track: 20-33°C

RUBENS BARRICHELLO
"Our focus today was on evaluating our set-up for the race and whilst the times may not have always looked competitive, the data that we gathered will be very useful when we study all the options this evening. The car felt better when we put the softer option tyre on towards the end of the day and I was able to put in a good lap. It's great to finally get the track action underway today and I'm pleased with our progress and happy to be starting my home Grand Prix weekend at the top end of the field."

JENSON BUTTON
"We achieved more running that we initially expected today with just a few little showers rather than the rain that was forecast. The car seems to be working well on the prime tyre which is encouraging and the pace was good. I'm struggling a little with the balance on the option tyre over one timed lap so hopefully we can resolve that overnight to be ready for qualifying."

ROSS BRAWN
"We had two good practice sessions today and are reasonably happy with our position at the end of the day. The balance of the cars improved this afternoon and both Rubens and Jenson are fairly comfortable with the set-up over longer runs. We still have some work to do overnight and ahead of qualifying to ensure that we achieve the best one-lap pace tomorrow."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:45 pm

INTERLAGOS

QUALIFYING

Brawn GP's Rubens Barrichello took pole position in the rain delayed qualifying session at the Interlagos circuit in Sao Paulo today ahead of his home race, the Brazilian Grand Prix, with team-mate Jenson Button qualifying in 14th position on the grid.

Heavy rain showers left the track deluged with water and qualifying was subject to several lengthy delays. Running on the Bridgestone Potenza wet tyres, Rubens and Jenson progressed easily through Q1 in fifth and six positions respectively.

A delayed Q2 saw a slightly drier track and after some set-up changes to his car, Jenson suffered with understeer and a lack of rear grip which left him without the pace necessary to progress to the next session, with Rubens going through in 10th place.

A great drive in Q3 saw Rubens put his Brawn-Mercedes car at the top of the timesheets for his first pole position of the year.

RESULTS

Drivers Car No. Chassis No. Free Practice Qualifying 1 Qualifying 2 Qualifying 3
Rubens Barrichello 23 BGP 001-03 P14 P5 01:24.100 P10 01:21.659 P1 01:19.576
Jenson Button 22 BGP 001-02 P3 P6 01:24.297 P14 01:22.504 DNQ

Weather Heavy rain showers
Temperatures Air: 17°C Track: 16-18°C

RUBENS BARRICHELLO
"I'm so happy to have qualified on pole for my home Grand Prix today particularly after such an unusual qualifying session. It's the first time in seventeen years that I've got out of the car twice during qualifying! I'm very proud of what we achieved today. We were lucky to make it through Q2 when we should have gone for intermediates but it was a great drive in Q3. It's a good situation to be starting from the front and have your own race pace rather than be in the pack. However the job is only half done and I'm keeping my feet firmly on the ground and just focusing on having a good race tomorrow. It's great for all the fans at Interlagos who sat through all the rain delays and kept supporting me to have a Brazilian starting from the front tomorrow."

JENSON BUTTON
"It was a crazy qualifying session today and it's obviously very disappointing to have only qualified in 14th position. The first session went well and our pace was reasonably good in the wet which was encouraging. The track had dried out a little for Q2 so we made some small set-up changes but the balance of the car just felt transformed. I had massive understeer for the first few laps and tried everything that I could to set a time but the pace just wasn't there. By the third lap, the rear tyres started to go away, leaving me with no rear grip, and I just couldn't improve my time. It's going to make the race very tough tomorrow as I will be right in the middle of the pack but I'll make the most of it and any opportunities to make progress."

ROSS BRAWN
"It was a day of mixed fortunes with Rubens achieving a quite superb pole position at his home race and Jenson unfortunately not progressing from Q2. It was a chaotic and delayed qualifying with the heavy rain causing havoc and requiring the team and drivers to stay focused through the long delays. We were lucky in Q2 with Rubens who just scraped through but Jenson missed out. The lack of balance which Jenson experienced on his set of wet tyres was unexpected and proved costly as we believed it was possible to get through without using intermediates which proved with hindsight to be the wrong strategy. Jenson went for the lap right at the end but unfortunately the pace was just not there. Rubens did a fantastic job today to get the pole position. The car has been working well all weekend and the potential was evident from the result that he achieved in Q3."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

INTERLAGOS

RACE

Brawn GP secured the 2009 FIA Formula One Constructors' Championship at the Brazilian Grand Prix in Interlagos today with Jenson Button driving a superb race from 14th position on the grid to a fifth place finish to wrap up the Drivers' Championship with one race of the season to go.

Team-mate Rubens Barrichello started his home race from pole position after an excellent performance in Saturday's rain-delayed qualifying session but finished in eighth position after a late puncture forced an unscheduled trip to the pits and dropped him back to eighth place.

Brawn GP secured the Constructors' Championship with 161 points with Jenson winning the Drivers' Championship with 89 points and Rubens in third position with 72 points with the final race of the season in Abu Dhabi to take place on 1 November.

RESULTS

Jenson Button 22 BGP 001-02 P5 01:14.353
Rubens Barrichello 23 BGP 001-03 P8 01:13.950

Weather Dry and warm
Temperatures Air: 24-28°C Track: 30-42°C

JENSON BUTTON
"Today was the best race that I've driven in my career and I'm really going to enjoy this moment. For the team to win the Constructors' and the Drivers Championships here is just fantastic and they deserve it so very much after all the difficult times that we all went through over the winter. This season has been a rollercoaster ride from the elation of the wins at the start to the hard graft in the second half of the season which has seen us grind out the results needed to take the titles. We have to say a huge thank you to Norbert Haug and Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines for all of the support that they have given us over the year. Without their commitment and faith in the team, and the fantastic engine that they have provided, we would not have been able to achieve the success that we have today. The list of people that I have to thank personally is too long to mention but they all know who they are and how much their support has meant to me over the years. To everyone back at the factory in Brackley, thank you for all of your hard work and for producing such a fantastic car. It's going to take a while to sink in but for now I'm just reveling in the achievement of a lifelong dream. It's going to be one hell of a party tonight!"

RUBENS BARRICHELLO
"Whilst I am obviously disappointed with the result today, I have to be pleased with our year at Brawn GP. We really have a great car and a great team and it has truly been an amazing year when you consider the situation that we were in just before the start of the season. I'm truly pleased for Jenson as a friend and he is a great champion. We have a fantastic relationship working together and that has really shown through this year. Well done to him. It was a true fight and I fought really hard but he really won it in the first half of the season. The team have been superb this year and they thoroughly deserve to win both the Constructors' and Drivers' Championships today. We're going to have a great night together and I'm pleased to have played my part in securing the Constructors' title for the team."

ROSS BRAWN
"What a day! I am so incredibly proud of the team and our drivers and it's so very special to have won the Constructors' and the Drivers' Championships in our first year as Brawn GP. The second half of the year has been tough after such a successful start but getting the results in the difficult times is what counts in a Championship season. It's really going to take a while for what we have achieved today to sink in. Jenson is a fantastic racer and he had a great race today, particularly after such a difficult qualifying yesterday. He knew what he had to do and did just that and is a very deserving World Champion. Rubens has made a fantastic contribution to this season without which we could not have won the Constructors' Championship today. The spirit in which our two drivers have fought for the Championship makes me very proud. They have been a credit to the team and our sport. The work and the commitment that the team showed over the winter and throughout this season really has been sensational. We would like to take this opportunity to say our thanks to Mercedes-Benz who have been a fantastic partner for our team and have integrated incredibly well this season. Their contribution to our success, and the support of McLaren gave us over the winter and at beginning of season, has enabled us to be in the position that we are in today. I hope that everyone at the factory in Brackley and at Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines in Brackley, is very proud of what we have achieved today. I also want to thank everyone who has worked with the team over the years that couldn't be with us this season as we had to resize the team at the start of the season. My sincere thanks go out to them because they worked so hard and should feel a part of our success."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:57 pm

2009 ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX
YAS MARINA
30 OCTOBER - 1 NOVEMBER

PREVIEW

The inaugural Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, the final round of the 2009 Formula One season, takes place this weekend at the new Yas Marina Circuit on the eastern side of Abu Dhabi.

The spectacular 5.554km track, designed by renowned Formula One architect Hermann Tilke, is located on Yas Island just thirty minutes from Abu Dhabi city. Running alongside Yas Island's new marina, the anti-clockwise circuit has many unique features including a pitlane exit which crosses under the circuit and part of the track passing under the Yas Marina Hotel.

Abu Dhabi will host Formula One's first twilight race with the lights going out in late daylight conditions at 17:00hrs on Sunday and the chequered flag falling in the evening around ninety minutes later. With Brawn GP and Jenson Button successfully securing the Constructors' and Drivers' Championships at the last race in Brazil, the team are now looking forward to putting on a great show in Abu Dhabi this weekend at the final race of the season.

ROSS BRAWN, TEAM PRINCIPAL

Q. After such an emotional weekend in Brazil, what are your thoughts ahead of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix?

"Brazil was a fantastic weekend and to have won the Constructors' and the Drivers' Championships with Brawn GP is a very special achievement. I am incredibly proud of the whole team at Brawn GP and Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines. We've all had a few busy days since returning to the UK and it was great for both Jenson and I to get back to the factory and thank everyone in person for their contribution to our successes. At the same time, we have been looking ahead to the final race and ensuring that all our preparations are in place for Abu Dhabi which is an important weekend for the team as we look to secure second position in the Drivers' Championship with Rubens. The new Yas Marina Circuit looks extremely impressive and we're looking forward to getting out to Abu Dhabi and having our first look at the track. With the challenge of a new circuit, we are able to use data provided by the FIA to create a circuit map which can be used in our simulator at the factory. We went through this process for the new street circuits in Valencia and Singapore last year so it is a process that the team is familiar with. Knowing the circuit when they arrive helps the drivers to get into a rhythm quickly during the first practice sessions and allows us to check gear ratios and compare set-up items. We can also use the simulator to understand tyre behaviour. From this we get an understanding of the car balance and that allows us to determine our start set-up for the weekend."

JENSON BUTTON

Q. What are your thoughts on the new Yas Marina Circuit?

"It's a fantastic feeling to be going into the final race having achieved my ambition of winning the Drivers' Championship and with the team having wrapped up the Constructors' Championship in Brazil. We want to finish the season in style with a great result but we can be a little more relaxed in our approach to the weekend! I had a short break in the Gulf region after the Bahrain Grand Prix and went to have a look at the Yas Marina Circuit. Even back then, when the construction work was still underway, the facilities looked outstanding and the organisers have done a great job in creating a spectacular venue. It's always fun to try a new race track, particularly one which looks as unique as Yas Marina with the unusual pitlane exit and the day/night race. I'm sure Abu Dhabi is going to host an exciting weekend and a great finale to the 2009 Formula One season."

RUBENS BARRICHELLO

Q. Are you looking forward to racing on a new track in Abu Dhabi?

"It's always a good challenge to race at a new venue and the Yas Marina Circuit looks extremely impressive from the reports that I have seen. The layout of the circuit seems both fun and challenging and it will be interesting to start the race in daylight and to finish in evening conditions. Our track walk on Thursday will be important to get an initial feel for the characteristics of the circuit and we will spend the first few laps on Friday getting to grips with the layout. From then on, it will be business as usual with our standard practice programme. The team has had a great season so far and we want to finish on a high with a strong performance this weekend."

Yas Marina Circuit Stats

Circuit Length: 5.554km
Race Distance: 305.470km
Number of Laps: 55

Full Throttle: 60%
Brake Wear: High
Tyre Compounds: Soft / Medium
Downforce Level: High - 8/10
Tyre Usage: Medium
Average Speed: 188kph (117mph)

Race Weekend Schedule (all times are local)

Friday 30 October
Practice 1: 1300 - 1430
Practice 2: 1700 - 1830

Saturday 31 October
Practice 3: 1400 - 1500
Qualifying: 1700 - 1800

Sunday 1 November
Race: 1700

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:54 pm

YAS MARINA
30 OCTOBER

PRACTICE

The first on-track action for the inaugural Abu Dhabi Grand Prix got underway today at the impressive new Yas Marina Circuit.

With the final race of the season due to be Formula One's first day/night race, today's first practice session began at 1300 with the second session taking place from 1700, the same time as the race will start on Sunday.

Brawn GP's Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello completed 59 laps and 61 laps respectively of the 5.554km circuit over the course of the two ninety-minute sessions ending the day in third and eighth positions on the timesheets.

RESULTS

Drivers Car No. Chassis No. Free Practice 1 Free Practice 2
Jenson Button 22 BGP 001-02 20 laps 01:44.035 P2 39 laps 01:41.541 P3
Rubens Barrichello 23 BGP 001-03 23 laps 01:44.207 P4 38 laps 01:41.831 P8

Weather Hot and sunny
Temperatures Air: 30-35°C Track: 31-48°C

JENSON BUTTON
"The Yas Marina circuit is certainly an interesting one. When you look at the layout, it doesn't seem that exciting but when you actually drive it, it's fantastic. The track has a bit of everything with high and low speed corners, positive and negative camber and the walls are pretty close to you most of the way round. We had a good first day of practice here with just a few balance issues to work on overnight."

RUBENS BARRICHELLO
"First of all, I'm really pleased with the new track here in Abu Dhabi. The venue looks sensational and it's quite challenging to drive which is makes it a lot more fun for the drivers. The car felt good here over the two sessions and we were able to make several improvements over the course of the day. I'm quite happy with the balance and looking forward to tomorrow."

ROSS BRAWN
"The Yas Marina Circuit is a stunning facility and a massive credit to Abu Dhabi, Bernie, Philippe Gurdjian and the team behind it. The track layout is very interesting with some good combinations and quite challenging for the drivers. They seem to be enjoying the experience. We are pleased with how our practice programme went today. The track was very dirty at the start of the first session with high track temperatures but it was a good opportunity for the drivers to familiarise themselves with the new track. The temperatures fell dramatically going into the second session which is consistent with what we expect to see in qualifying and into the race so we worked through our usual Friday programme with the tyres and aerodynamic set-up collecting some good data."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:55 pm

YAS MARINA
31 OCTOBER

QUALIFYING

Brawn GP's Rubens Barrichello and Jenson Button qualified in fourth and fifth positions respectively today for the inaugural Abu Dhabi Grand Prix which takes place at the Yas Marina Circuit on Sunday.

The action began in daylight with darkness rapidly falling over the course of the qualifying hour and the floodlights coming on to illuminate the track. Rubens and Jenson ran consistently in the top ten for the first two sessions, favouring the harder prime tyre, and progressing easily through to the final qualifying session.

A close battle at the front in Q3 saw Rubens put his Brawn-Mercedes car on the second row of the grid in fourth position, with team-mate Jenson, who was struggling with understeer, on the third row in fifth place ahead of tomorrow's 55-lap race.

RESULTS

Drivers Car No. Chassis No. Free Practice Qualifying 1 Qualifying 2 Qualifying 3
Rubens Barrichello 23 BGP 001-03 P3 P6 01:40.574 P6 01:40.421 P4 01:41.786
Jenson Button 22 BGP 001-02 P1 P2 01:40.378 P3 01:40.148 P5 01:41.892

Weather Very hot
Temperatures Air: 29-30°C Track: 31-33°C

RUBENS BARRICHELLO
"It was a good qualifying session for us today and I'm quite happy with fourth position and what we have achieved. The car is still very competitive but the Red Bulls and McLarens seem to be ahead of us here. It's been challenging to get the right set-up throughout the weekend as the sessions are taking place in very different track and ambient conditions. The car seems to improve towards the end of the day with the cooler temperatures so we can hope that the track comes towards us tomorrow. It's very close with Sebastian for second position in the Championship and I'll be going to be flat out for the best result."

JENSON BUTTON
"The car has felt good here all weekend and the first two sessions went well in qualifying today. Unfortunately in Q3 when we were running with high fuel and new tyres, I started to get massive vibrations every time that I hit the brakes which made the steering wheel shudder. With such a smooth circuit any kind of vibration just leads to understeer which made the car quite a handful to drive. It's frustrating as we had the potential for a better performance today and should have been challenging for the first row behind Lewis. Hopefully we can solve the issue before the race and I'm looking forward to a good fight tomorrow."

ROSS BRAWN
"We went into qualifying in pretty good shape this evening having confirmed some of our conclusions on the tyres during the practice session this afternoon. The qualifying hour went to plan in Q1 and Q2 although we struggled, like many others, with traffic and achieving clear laps when the tyres were at their best. Unfortunately in Q3, Jenson suffered with a significant vibration on his last set of tyres which we are now investigating and this compromised his performance. However fourth position on the grid for Rubens and fifth place for Jenson is a good result. We should be in reasonable shape for the race tomorrow and are looking forward to the challenge of finishing the season on a high."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:55 pm

YAS MARINA
1 NOVEMBER

RACE

Brawn GP's Jenson Button finished his World Championship year on a high today with a third-placed podium finish at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix at the new Yas Marina Circuit. Team-mate Rubens Barrichello came through a first corner impact to drive a composed race and bring his Brawn-Mercedes car home in fourth position.

Formula One's first twilight race began at 1700 in daylight conditions before night fell and the floodlights came on around the circuit. Both Brawn GP drivers had good starts before Rubens made slight contact with Mark Webber going into turn one and damaged his front wing which allowed Jenson to pass whilst he struggled for downforce.

From there, Jenson and Rubens drove extremely well to secure third and fourth positions respectively on two-stop strategies. Jenson had a thrilling battle with Mark Webber over the final few laps for second place with several overtaking moves almost coming off on the final lap but the Australian managed to hold him off to the chequered flag.

After 17 races of the 2009 season, Brawn GP end the year as winners of the Constructors' Championship with 172 points with Jenson winning his first Drivers' Championship with 95 points and Rubens in third place with 77 points.

RESULTS

Jenson Button 22 BGP 001-02 P3 01:40.642
Rubens Barrichello 23 BGP 001-03 P4 01:40.449

Weather Hot
Temperatures Air: 30-31°C Track: 31-34°C

JENSON BUTTON
"It was a fun race today and to be on the podium for the last race of the year is fantastic. I've really enjoyed driving here at the Yas Marina Circuit this weekend and Abu Dhabi has done a fantastic job for its first Grand Prix. We expected the prime tyre to be the better tyre in the race but I was struggling for balance especially as the track temperatures started to fall and it became more difficult to get heat into the front tyres. The car felt great when we switched to the soft tyre for the final stint. It really felt transformed and suddenly I had a great front end and could carry more speed into the corners. The last few laps were really exciting and I was giving everything to take second place from Mark. I couldn't quite make the moves stick and he's a very difficult guy to overtake but it was a good clean fight and we were really on the edge. I'm a little bit disappointed not to get second but it's still great to finish on the podium. I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone at the team in Brackley and at Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines. It really has been a fantastic year and they should all be very proud of what we have achieved together. It's nice to end the year on a high after what has been a very competitive and challenging season."

RUBENS BARRICHELLO
"We had a pretty competitive race today. The start was quite exciting and I went to the inside at turn one but unfortunately I collided slightly with Mark and he took a chunk of my front wing with him. It lost me a lot of downforce initially which let Jenson past but I was able to live with the understeer so we decided not to change the nose and I just pushed as hard as possible. I was quicker than Jenson in the middle stint but it's very difficult to overtake, even more so when it's your team-mate in the same car, so there was nothing I could do to get past him. Still it was a competitive race throughout and a lot of fun so I have to be pleased with fourth position today. It's truly been a great season and I have to thank the team for giving me a car that has been so competitive this year and the opportunity to return to winning ways again. We've had a great year together."

ROSS BRAWN
"A strong race from both drivers today and another podium finish is a great way to round off what has been a very successful season for the team. Jenson and Rubens both drove extremely well with Jenson providing a fantastic last lap of racing to bring the 2009 Formula One season to its conclusion. Abu Dhabi has provided a fantastic venue for the final race of the season and the sport can be very proud to have such a stunning facility on the calendar. 2009 really has been an incredible year for Brawn GP. To go through the trauma of the winter months and make it to the first race and then achieve eight Grand Prix victories and the Constructors' and Drivers' Championships in our first year is an outstanding achievement. I would like to thank all our staff here and at the factory in Brackley for their hard work and dedication this year and Mercedes-Benz in Stuttgart and Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines in Brixworth for the support that they have given us since the start of the year and the powerful and reliable engine that they have provided us with."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:57 pm

JEREZ TEST - DAY ONE

1 December 2009

Track Circuito de Jerez
Driver Mike Conway / Marcus Ericsson
No of Laps 58 laps / 50 laps

Best Lap Time 01:19.920 / 01:20.333
Kilometres Covered 257km / 221km
Track Length 4.428km

Weather Sunny
Ambient Temperature Maximum 19°C
Track Temperature Maximum 26°C

The team’s first testing action since the start of the 2009 Formula One season in March got underway today with the first day of the Young Driver test in Jerez.
Mike Conway and Marcus Ericsson are driving for the team this week in the Brawn-Mercedes BGP 001 car. Mike began the on-track action this morning completing 58 laps as he acclimatised to the car and then worked through an aerodynamic evaluation. Marcus took over for the afternoon session for his first drive in a Formula One car and had the opportunity to familiarise himself with the BGP 001 and the circuit over 50 laps.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:58 pm

JEREZ TEST - DAY TWO

Date Wednesday 2 December
Track Circuito de Jerez
Driver Mike Conway / Marcus Ericsson

No of Laps 83 laps / 37 laps
Best Lap Time 01:20.222 / 01:20.440
Kilometres Covered 368km / 164km
Track Length 4.428km

Weather Dry with light rain showers
Ambient Temperature Maximum 19°C
Track Temperature Maximum 20°C

The second day of the Young Driver test in Jerez got underway this morning with Mike Conway continuing his driving duties in the Brawn-Mercedes BGP 001 car. Mike worked through a number of set-up changes with the car before a short rain shower briefly interrupted the track action. He continued his programme after lunch for a further three runs to complete 83 laps in total today.

Marcus Ericsson took over the BGP 001 to conclude the team's programme for the remainder of the afternoon session. Marcus completed 37 laps as he continued his familiarisation programme with the car.