~~~26 & 27 June 2010: New Jersey Motorsports Park
~~~10 July 2010: Miller Motorsports Park*
~~~24 July 2010: Lime Rock Park
~~~31 July & 1 Aug. 2010: Autobahn Country Club
~~~15 August 2010: Grand Prix de Trois-Riviere
~~~1 October 2010: Road Atlanta*

*--held during American LeMans Series event weekend
**--held during Grand-Am Rolex event weekend
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:53 am

.......could the checkered flag have finally flown for the storied driver-development series?

(from 3 March 2010)
In what multiple sources have been reporting over the past several days and was confirmed earlier this week, officials have cancelled the 2010 Atlantic Championship season.

Despite a release on February 25th from the series titled "Atlantic Grid for Sebring Season-Opener Filling Up Fast," it was confirmed earlier in the week that the claim was wide of the mark. The series confirmed today that their cars and drivers will not be a part of the 12 Hours of Sebring event or the rest of the 2010 calendar they had secured, stating:

Due to the downturn in the global economy and the subsequent shortage of funded drivers, the Cooper Tires Presents the Atlantic Championship Powered by Mazda will go on hiatus until global conditions improve. The Atlantic Championship has and always will be committed to providing the best driver development series available to the world’s next generation of top-tier driving talent. Unfortunately however this experience cannot be upheld through 2010. Series officials will continue working throughout the year to develop new ideas for the future that will add value to drivers and also lower costs associated with competing in a world-class racing series like the Atlantic Championship.

“It is with a heavy heart and only after deep consideration that I have accepted the recommendations from the stakeholders in the Series to pause efforts related to the continuation of the 2010 Atlantic Championship season,” said Ben Johnston, Owner, Atlantic Championship. “As a former Atlantic racer myself, the Atlantic
Championship means a great deal to me personally. I know what this series means to the drivers of the world as well as the heritage that Atlantics carries with it and I will not devalue the world-class experience that each one of our drivers is entitled to just to save face during these tough economic times. I am committed to this series now as much as ever and will assure Atlantic fans that the Atlantic Championship office will be working during the down time in order to deliver an unparalleled racing offering when economic conditions allow.”

Mazda, an ardent supporter of the Atlantic Championship, affirmed their continued presence in open-wheel, regardless of today's news. “All of us at Mazda are disappointed that the Atlantic Championship will be on hiatus this year,” said Robert Davis, Senior Vice President, Mazda North American Operations. “It was no doubt a very difficult decision made by the Atlantic management in conjunction with the teams. Mazda has greatly enjoyed the past four years of working with outstanding drivers, teams, and partners and we remain committed to our ongoing support of up-and-coming drivers in both open-wheel and sports car racing."
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock: