2010 Firestone Indy Lights Thread

All about the IRL Indy Pro Series and the Atlantic Championship

Moderators: Ed, mlittle

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:20 am

Long Beach Practice Session 1 Top-5.............
1} Sebastien Saavedra, Bryan Herta Autosport..............1:15.173 sec
2} James Hinchcliffe, Team Moore Racing........................1:15.458 sec
3} Martin Plowman, Andretti Autosport...........................1:15.470 sec
4} Charlie Kimball, Andretti Autosport.............................1:15.878 sec
5} J.K. Verney, Sam Schmidt Mtrspts.,.............................1:15.943 sec
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:19 am

Long Beach Practice Session 2
(fr. SA, 17 April 2010)

1} James Hinchcliffe, Team Moore Racing...........................1:15.011 sec
2} J.K. Vernay, Sam Schmidt Mtrspts.,................................1:15.408 sec
3} Sebastien Saavedra, Bryan Herta Autosport.................1:15.566 sec
4} Charlie Kimball, Andretti Autosport................................1:15.599 sec
5} Martin Plowman, Andretti Autosport..............................1:15.678 sec

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Hinch Wins at the Beach.........

Post by mlittle » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:30 am

----LONG BEACH, Calif. – With cars that were equally matched on the 1.968-mile, 11-turn temporary street circuit, it was the restarts that allowed James Hinchcliffe to record his first Firestone Indy Lights victory. Hinchcliffe held off Californian Charlie Kimball by 0.8370 of a second to win the Indy Grand Prix of Long Beach. JK Vernay, who won the first two races of the season, finished third and Sebastian Saavedra in the No. 29 William Rast/Bryan Herta Autosport car was fourth.

Martin Plowman in the No. 27 Automatic Fire Sprinklers/KEP Printing car for AFS Racing Andretti Autosport finished fifth and Tonis Kasemets, making his series debut with Palm Beach Indy Racing, was sixth.

Hinchcliffe got good jumps on four restarts following full-course cautions – the last on Lap 41 of 45. It was the second victory for Team Moore Racing (Pablo Donoso won at Infineon Raceway in 2008).

“I made a few mistakes, but lucky they were small enough that nobody noticed,” said Hinchcliffe, the pole sitter who led every lap. “It was a great race. The car was solid from the drop of the green flag and we got a good start and into a rhythm. Those yellows kept coming out, but lucky we had good restarts because I just couldn’t shake Charlie.

Hinchcliffe, who had six top-five finishes (high of second at Mio-Ohio) in 2009 and was fifth in the inaugural race on the Barber Motorsports Park road course April 11, won in his 18h start. “It feels like it has been a long time coming,” said Hinchcliffe, driving the No. 2 TMR-Xtreme Coil Drilling car. “There was a lot of pressure last year to win a race and we didn’t get that done, so that weighed heavily on my mind all through the off-season.

“We had a couple of close calls last season and starting from the pole in St. Pete didn’t work out for us. All weekend long the Team Moore Racing car was great and I owe a huge thank you to all of the boys. To get a first win out of the way and another pole is huge."

Kimball, who started second in the No. 26 Levemir FlexPen car for AFS Racing Andretti Autosport, matched his career high (at Barber Motorsports Park).

Vernay leads the championship standings by 28 points over Kimball (112). Hinchcliffe is third (99 points) heading into the Firestone Freedom 100 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on May 28.

"This morning the car was perfect in warm-up and I was feeling confident, but then during the race I didn’t really understand what was wrong with the car or what was happening," Vernay said. "It was difficult for me to stay behind Charlie and Hinchcliffe. I am happy to be in the front of the championship though, and as a rookie I feel great about my season to this point. And when fighting for the championship, third place is not bad."

Top-10 from the Beach................
1} James Hinchcliffe, Team Moore Racing, 45 laps
2} Charlie Kimball, Andretti Autosport, -0.837 sec
3} J.K. Vernay, Sam Schmidt Mtrspts., -1.229 sec
4} Sebastien Saavedra, Bryan Herta Autosport, -2.913 sec
5} Martin Plowman, Andretti Autosport, -4.474 sec
6} Tonis Kasemets, Team PBIR, -10.676 sec
7} Philip Major, Sam Schmidt Mtrspts., -11.831 sec
8} Pippa Mann, Sam Schmidt Mtrspts., -12.157 sec
9} Niall Quinn, Team PBIR, -17.840 sec
10} Carmen Jorda, RLR/Andersen Racing, -19.720 sec

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:36 am

Current Firestone Indy Lights Top-10 Standings.................
1st} J.K. Vernay, 140 pts(2 wins)
2nd} Charlie Kimball, 112 pts
3rd} James Hinchcliffe, 99 pts(1 win)
4th} Martin Plowman, 90 pts
5th} Sebastien Saavedra, 85 pts
6th} Stefan Wilson, 76 pts
7th} Gustavo Yacaman, 68 pts
8th} Philip Major, 62 pts
t-9th}[9]James Winslow, 59 pts
t-9th}[10]Pippa Mann, 59 pts

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Simmons back in the saddle again............

Post by mlittle » Sat May 15, 2010 8:24 am

----Jeff Simmons was getting reacquainted with racing associates, friends and Indianapolis Motor Speedway personnel before a Firestone Indy Lights Open Test. Oh, he also was reacquainted with a Firestone Indy Lights car.

Simmons, who has competed in the Firestone Freedom 100 four times, participated in the five hours of track time in the No. 17 Team E car. It was his first time in a Firestone Indy Lights car since competing at Kentucky Speedway in August 2007.

It appears he hasn’t lost a step. Simmons, a Connecticut native who resides in Albuquerque, N.M., was fourth on the speed chart with a quick lap of 47.3506 seconds (190.072 mph) on the 2.5-mile oval. Gustavo Yacaman, driving the No. 10 Cape Motorsports with Wayne Taylor Racing car, topped the session with a lap of 47.2413 seconds (190.511).

“I wanted to build up gradually, and I think it was a testament to everybody at Team E that we were so quick right off the bat,” said Simmons, whose best finish in the Firestone Freedom 100 is fourth in the inaugural year of the race (2003). “We had a good starting setup and we kept the car in a good window. I got the chance to slowly work my way into traffic and feeling that out, because I haven’t had that for almost two years.

“So be able to have a car that I could be confident in was great. We were quick all day – basically in the top three all day – and if we wanted to play the super-drafting game at the end we probably could have gone a little quicker. But when we come back the track is going to be different from having the IndyCars run on it.”

Simmons, who also has competed four times in the Indianapolis 500 (2004 with Mo Nunn Racing, 2006 and ‘07 with Rahal Letterman Racing, 2008 with A.J. Foyt Racing), was stopped multiple times on his walk to the garage following the test session. “I’m just excited to be back and have something to do at the racetrack rather than walk around,” he said.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Yacaman Fastest in Open Test.........

Post by mlittle » Sat May 15, 2010 8:25 am

-----Gustavo Yacaman established himself as a contender for the Firestone Freedom 100 by leading a one-day Open Test at Indianapolis Motor Speedway on May 14. Yacaman turned a lap of 47.2493 seconds, 190.511 mph, in his No. 10 Cape Motorsport with Wayne Taylor Racing car around the famed 2.5-mile oval.

“I’m not surprised,” Yacaman said. “(Engineers Nicholas and Dominic) Cape had a great car two years ago with J.R. (Hildebrand) and the car was really good. The credit goes to them. All I had to do was sit there with the pedal to the metal. ”

While Yacaman gave the credit to Cape Motorsport with Wayne Taylor Racing team, he also had an ace up his sleeve. Yacaman received advice from Juan Pablo Montoya, when he visited the 2000 Indianapolis 500 winner at a NASCAR tire test at the Speedway in April.

“I think spending a few days with Juan really helped me a lot,” Yacaman said. “I think he helped me get really comfortable with the car and he gave me some really good tips that showed up today. Hopefully we can keep this up for the race.”

Pippa Mann was second fastest with a lap of 47.3125, 190.225 mph followed by Jeff Simmons (190.072), Charlie Kimball (189.864) and defending race winner Wade Cunningham (189.672).

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Arie Jr. gets ride for Freedom 100

Post by mlittle » Wed May 26, 2010 7:36 am

(from 17 May 2010)
----Arie Luyendyk Jr. won his last race as a competitor in Firestone Indy Lights and will attempt to extend his win streak later this month. The second-generation driver has signed with Andersen Racing for the Firestone Freedom 100 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on May 28.

"I am thrilled to be back in a race car, especially at Indianapolis,” said Luyendyk, who was born in the Netherlands but is a long-time resident of Scottsdale, Ariz. “I have known Dan and John Andersen of Andersen Racing since my days in USF2000. I have always had a great relationship with them over the years, and now I'll finally have an opportunity to drive one of their cars.

“Indianapolis means more to me than I can express,” he added. “I've come back to win, and I’m confident that Andersen Racing will give me a car that can make that a reality."

Luyendyk, the 28-year-old son of two-time Indianapolis 500 winner Arie Luyendyk, has more starts than any other driver in the history of Firestone Indy Lights with 62 and more laps completed than anyone else with 3,487. He led 10 races and was running at the finish in 49 of them. He is third on the list of career top-five finishes with 24 and he tops the chart for top-10 finishes with 47.

He finished fourth in Firestone Indy Lights in 2008, posting a victory at Chicagoland Speedway. His best finish in the 40-lap Firestone Freedom 100 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway to date is third in 2004.

"We are pleased to add Arie to our lineup at Andersen Racing,” said team co-owner Dan Andersen. “We’ve known him since he competed in USF2000, and we’ve watched his performances in recent years in Firestone Indy Lights with great interest. He clearly is a winner, and with the car we know we can give him at Indy, it's exciting to look forward to having some fun in the Firestone Freedom 100.”

Luyendyk had been trying to land a ride for this year’s Indy 500, but did not secure enough funding in time. Luyendyk will have to get up to speed quickly. He’ll have just two 45-minute practice sessions at 9 a.m. and 11:45 a.m. May 27 before time trials are held at 3 p.m. that afternoon. The pre-race activities begin at 12:15 p.m. on May 28. “The next best thing is the Firestone Freedom 100, and for that race my first choice was Andersen Racing,” he said.

“It’s unfortunate that Arie Jr.’s plans to run the Indianapolis 500 fell through, but we are glad to see him back in the Firestone Indy Lights for this year’s Firestone Freedom 100,” said Roger Bailey, executive director of Firestone Indy Lights. “While we would love to see another graduate of our series in the 500, but his experience at the Speedway in both the Firestone Freedom 100 and Indianapolis 500 will make him contender for another race win.”

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri May 28, 2010 10:16 am

American Freedom 100 Practice 1 Top-5
1} Jeff Simmons, Team Enerson............................47.201 sec(190.674 mph)
2} Gustavo Yacaman, Cape Mtrspts.,...................47.258 sec(190.444 mph)
3} Charlie Kimball, Andretti Autosport..................47.341 sec(190.110 mph)
4} Dan Clarke, Walker Racing...............................47.498 sec(189.483 mph)
5} Pippa Mann, Sam Schmidt Mtrspts.,.................47.543 sec(189.303 mph)

American Freedom 100 Practice 2 Top-5
1} Martin Plowman, Andretti Autosport.................47.879 sec(187.973 mph)
2} Gustavo Yacaman, Cape Mtrspts.,...................47.970 sec(187.617 mph)
3} Charlie Kimball, Andretti Autosport..................48.030 sec(187.356 mph)
4} Dan Clarke, Walker Racing...............................48.043 sec(187.334 mph)
5} Pippa Mann, Sam Schmidt Mtrspts.,.................48.061 sec(187.263 mph)

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Mann on point for Freedom 100..............

Post by mlittle » Fri May 28, 2010 10:19 am

For 100+ years, every pole-sitter for every event hosted at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway has been a man............that streak ended today, courtesy of an woman from Ipswich, England.

Pippa Mann's qualifying run for Friday's Freedom 100 set a historic mark as the 26-year old became the first woman to earn a pole position at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Mann watched as the last driver in the qualifying line took to the 2.5-mile speedway, completing their first lap at an average speed of 185 mph, well shy of Mann's 188 mph first lap. Her huge smile grew larger as the checkered flag waved for the final driver, making it official. "These guys gave me an awesome car," said a jubilant Mann. "They gave me a fantastic car. I just went out there and did my best to pedal it."

Although Mann is the first woman to start from the pole in the history of the 101-year old Indianapolis Motor Speedway, she is the second woman to earn a pole in the Indy Lights Series. Sarah McCune started from the pole in 2005 at Chicagoland Speedway.

Two of the four Sam Schmidt Motorsports entries will start on the front row as Mann's teammate Wade Cunningham will start alongside her. Cunningham started on the pole last year and went on to win the race giving the team its fourth Freedom 100 victory. "We're struggling a little bit with car pace this morning," said Cunningham, who was seventh in practice, "but that's why that was practice and this is qualifying. It's good that we're up here."

Both Andretti Autosport entries will start on the second row with Charlie Kimball nipping Martin Plowman by eight one-hundredths of a second. "Qualifying is only one part of it," said Plowman. "We have a really long race ahead of us now." Plowman also noted that he was happy that he'd been at the Speedway before. "I think I'm better for it this year."

Jeff Simmons will start fifth in his fifth Freedom 100. His best finish was second in 2004. Sam Schmidt Motorsports was able to qualify all four cars in the top seven. Series points leader J.K. Vernay will start sixth and his teammate Phillip Major seventh. "Qualifying wasn't so bad," said Vernay. "I think we had a good result. Qualifying is not that important. I just wanted to be in the top six or seven."

Vernay won the first two races in 2010 at St. Petersburg and Barber Motorsports Park. Long Beach winner James Hinchcliffe will start 8th followed by Gustavo Yacaman and Dan Clarke. Yacaman was second fastest after two practice sessions with a speed of 187.617 mph. In qualifying, Yacaman averaged 185.691 mph.

Yacaman said the conditions were not ideal during qualifying. "Windy and really warm," he noted. "The track is really greasy. The ambient temperature is really hot, so that means less downforce and grip. That makes it a very hard race car to drive."

Sebastian Saavedra will become the third driver to serve double duty, competing in the Indianapolis 500 and the Freedom 100 in the same year. Jeff Simmons and Marty Roth also competed in both races in the same year. Saavedra survived qualifying for the 500 after two drivers withdrew their qualified cars, essentially putting Saavedra back in the field after he had been bumped. "It's the hottest we've been around even from the Indy cars," said Saavedra, referring to the weather. "I think maybe we made a wrong choice because of the conditions." Saavedra will start 12th in the Freedom 100. He is slated to start 32nd for the 94th Indianapolis 500.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri May 28, 2010 10:26 am

Starting Grid, American Freedom 100

1} Pippa Mann, Sam Schmidt Mtrspts., 187.898 mph
2} Wade Cunningham, Sam Schmidt Mtrspts., 187.742 mph

3} Charlie Kimball, Andretti Autosport, 187.375 mph
4} Martin Plowman, Andretti Autosport, 187.209 mph

5} Jeff Simmons, Team Enerson, 187.168 mph
6} J.K. Vernay, Sam Schmidt Mtrspts., 186.455 mph

7} Philip Major, Sam Schmidt Mtrspts., 185.965 mph
8} James Hinchcliffe, Team Moore Racing, 185.756 mph

9} Gustavo Yacaman, Cape Mtrspts., 185.691 mph
10} Dan Clarke, Walker Racing, 185.624 mph

11} Adrian Campos, Jr., Team Moore Racing, 185.431 mph
12} Sebastien Saavedra, Bryan Herta Autosport, 185.284 mph

13} Stefan Wilson, Bryan Herta Autosport, 184.085 mph
14} Rodrigo Barbosa, PDM Racing, 183.563 mph

15} Carmen Jorda, RLR/Andersen Racing, 183.479 mph
16} Brandon Wagner, Hamilton Racing, no posted time

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Cunningham wins 3rd Brickyard Indy Lights race...........

Post by mlittle » Mon May 31, 2010 4:59 pm

(from FR 28 May 2010)
----Wade Cunningham didn’t need directions to Victory Circle at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Cunningham, starting second in the No. 77 Lucas Oil/BSS/Sam Schmidt Motorsports car, held off Charlie Kimball by 0.4368 of a second to become the first three-time winner of the Firestone Freedom 100 on Miller Lite Carb Day.

“The car was great in the draft and it was pretty easy for me to pass Charlie, and both times he got in front I didn’t panic because I knew in a couple of laps I’d be back in front,” said Cunningham, the 2005 Firestone Indy Lights champion. “I never gave him the chance to get by.”

James Hinchcliffe, winner of the Long Beach race in mid-April, finished 2.3 seconds back in the No. 2 TMR-Xtreme Coil Drilling car. Dan Clarke, driving the No. 40 Wasteco Deans Knight Special for Walker Racing, posted the highest finish in his three Firestone Indy Lights races (advancing six positions from 10th), and Martin Plowman finished fifth in the No. 27 Automatic Fire Sprinklers/KEP Printing entry.

The victory was the 28th in Firestone Indy Lights and the fifth in the eight-year history of the race for Sam Schmidt Motorsports. “It’s been a dream week,” said team owner Sam Schmidt, whose car through a partnership with Chip Ganassi Racing will start 10th in the Indianapolis 500 with driver Townsend Bell. “Wade is just a consummate professional and he just loves this place. He hand-worked on that car for a week to make it ready for this race. He never left the shop, and it showed today.”

Kimball, driving the No. 26 Levemir FlexPen car for AFS Racing Andretti Autosport, grabbed the point on Lap 33, and it turned into a two-car sprint to the finish. Cunningham regained the lead on Lap 35 but never had more than a two car-length advantage to the checkered flag. It was the fourth-closest finish in the 40-lap race.

It was the third consecutive runner-up finish for Kimball, who closed to five points of J.K. Vernay in the championship standings through four races. “The setup wasn't exactly where we wanted it to be," Kimball said. "I ran out of tools about midway through the race. I had to get the car down almost all the way down to the apron just to get it to turn, and it’s a ride down there. But it’s what it took to challenge for the win.”

The goal of being the first female winner of the race – and at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway – was dashed for Pippa Mann on Lap 3 when the back end of the No. 17 Team E car driven by veteran Jeff Simmons swung out enough in Turn 1 to collect Mann’s No. 11 Sam Schmidt Motorsports car. She was the first female to start on the pole at the Speedway and the second in Firestone Indy Lights competition.

"I've got some pretty bruised feet, and I'm going to have a very sore neck tomorrow. I'm pretty angry, but I'm OK," she said. "The blue car (Simmons) pulls out on the inside, gets pinched down really, really hard on the white line by the car on the outside (Plowman), gives him no room. He spins, slides up the track, whacks me because I'm the car behind. That's what I see on the replay. It was an accident that didn't need to happen, but it's actually not the No. 17 car's fault, in my opinion. He got pushed down really, really hard. I saw it unfolding, but there was nothing I could do about it."

The incident created the only caution period in the race. Rookie Philip Major, driving the No. 49 Sam Schmidt Motorsports car, finished a season-high sixth and Stefan Wilson in the No. 28 Bryan Herta Autosport entry recorded his third top 10 in seventh.

Top-10 from the American Freedom 100
1} Wade Cunningham, 40 laps
2} Charlie Kimball, -.437 sec
3} James Hinchcliffe, -2.364 sec
4} Dan Clarke, -2.646 sec
5} Martin Plowman, -3.703 sec
6} Philip Major, -5.826 sec
7} Stefan Wilson, -7.402 sec
8} Brandon Wagner, -9.704 sec
9} Sebastien Saavedra, -10.226 sec
10} Adrian Campos, Jr., -10.358 sec

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon May 31, 2010 5:05 pm

Current Firestone Indy Lights Top-10 Standings
1st} J.K. Vernay, 157 pts(2 wins)
2nd} Charlie Kimball, 140 pts
3rd} James Hinchcliffe, 134 pts(1 win)
4th} Martin Plowman, 120 pts
5th} Sebastien Saavedra, 107 pts
6th} Stefan Wilson, 102 pts
7th} Philip Major, 90 pts
8th} Gustavo Yacaman, 87 pts
9th} Dan Clarke, 75 pts
10th} Pippa Mann, 74 pts
--Additional Wins: Wade Cunningham-1 win

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:34 pm

Iowa Practice Session 1 Top-5
1} Stefan Wilson, Bryan Herta Autosport.......................20.226 sec(159.124 mph)
2} Charlie Kimball, Andretti Autosport............................20.251 sec(158.929 mph)
3} Sebastien Saavedra, Bryan Herta Autosport..............20.276 sec(158.729 mph)
4} J.K. Vernay, Sam Schmidt Mtrspts.,.............................20.284 sec(158.664 mph)
5} Martin Plowman, Andretti Autosport...........................20.295 sec(158.580 mph)

Iowa Practice Session 2 Top-5
1} Charlie Kimball, Andretti Autosport..............................20.160 sec(159.641 mph)
2} Stefan Wilson, Bryan Herta Autosport........................20.208 sec(159.261 mph)
3} J.K. Vernay, Sam Schmidt Mtrspts.,..............................20.290 sec(158.618 mph)
4} James Hinchcliffe, Team Moore Racing.........................20.305 sec(158.504 mph)
5} Sebastien Saavedra, Bryan Herta Autosport...............20.343 sec(158.209 mph)

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:37 pm

Iowa Starting Grid
1. 29 Sebastian Saavedra Bryan Herta Autosport 20.0931
2. 27 Martin Plowman AFS Racing/Andretti Autosport 20.0173

3. 7 J.K. Vernay Sam Schmidt Motorsports 20.1247
4. 28 Stefan Wilson Bryan Herta Autosport 20.1646

5. 22 Adrian Campos Jr. Team Moore Racing 20.1917
6. 10 Gustavo Yacaman Cape Motorsport/Wayne Taylor Racing 20.2504

7. 49 Philip Major Sam Schmidt Motorsports 20.3802
8. 11 Pippa Mann Sam Schmidt Motorsports 20.3205

9. 2 James Hinchcliffe Team Moore Racing 20.0139
10. 32 Brandon Wagner Davey Hamilton Racing 20.6282

11. 18 Rodrigo Barbosa PDM Racing 20.6911
12. 40 Dan Clarke Walker Racing 20.7831

13. 26 Charlie Kimball AFS Racing/Andretti Autosport 20.8290

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Saavedra Holds Off Plowman for Iowa Win

Post by mlittle » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:39 pm

-----NEWTON, Iowa – Sebastian Saavedra’s results through the first four races of the season had been solid – like his qualifying efforts. Both, however, didn’t get him to Victory Circle. This time, the second-year Firestone Indy Lights driver put it all together.

Sebastian Saavedra, who started from the pole in the No. 29 William Rast/Bryan Herta Autosport car, held off Martin Plowman by 0.4820 of a second to win the AvoidTheStork.com 100 under the lights at Iowa Speedway. It was the third career victory and first of the season for Saavedra, who gave Bryan Herta Autosport its second Firestone Indy Lights victory. Championship points leader J.K. Vernay of Sam Schmidt Motorsports finished 1.36 seconds back.

“The No. 29 car was amazing,” said Saavedra, who jumped into the title mix (32 points behind Vernay). “I’m very glad everything worked out this way. You couldn’t imagine how good this car was. Those last 10 laps were crazy. I wanted to make the right decisions and not risk crashing. I saw the guys were coming fast, but we pulled through and I’m very happy.”

Saavedra was enjoying a 2.29-second lead with 15 laps remaining, but was closing fast on lapped traffic. Plowman, driving the No. 27 Automatic Fire Sprinklers/KEP Printing car for AFS Racing Andretti Autosport, began reeling in the Colombian. He cut the deficit from 2.2978 seconds with 10 laps left to .2299 of a second with two to go on the .875-mile oval.

“It was one of the most intense races I have had in my life,” said Plowman, who notched his fourth consecutive top-five finish. “For the first 30 or 40 laps it was just between me and Sebastian. We were pulling away from the field. Then the yellow flag came out (Lap 67 for debris) and that was a very unfortunate time because that was when I was going to start putting the pressure on him to get the lead. Sebastian got in traffic and I thought it may be my day, but at the end I just couldn’t catch him. It was a great day for us and great for the points.”

Adrian Campos Jr. posted a career-best fourth (first top 10) in the No. 22 TMR-Xtreme Coil Drilling car. “I was flat until the last corner,” he said. “I’m learning so much here on ovals. For my second race, finishing fourth isn’t bad. We’re improving and getting closer to the front every race. I did a good job on the restart and overtook two guys. I’m just so happy and grateful to the team.”

Teammate James Hinchcliffe advanced four positions to finish fifth and Philip Major equaled his season best of sixth in the No. 49 Sam Schmidt Motorsports car. Stefan Wilson, driving the other Bryan Herta Autosport entry, finished seventh.

Charlie Kimball took a significant step backward in the championship chase when the No. 26 Levemir FlexPen car for AFS Racing Andretti Autosport made contact with the Turn 2 SAFER Barrier on the first lap. Kimball was coming off three consecutive runner-up finishes that put him five points behind Vernay in the standings through four of 13 events. He heads to Watkins Glen International 23 points back. Kimball had rebounded from a sub-standard qualifying by topping the chart in the final practice session.

“Starting in the back, I was trying to make a couple of moves early and see if I could get to the front,” he said. “Heading into Turn 1, I was running a little bit higher than I had earlier. I was way out of the gas and the back just came around. Maybe the tires were a little cold and I was just pushing a little harder. The No. 26 Levemir FlexPen car was going to be quick. It had been quick all day. We’ll just see how much it’s going to hurt us in the championship and move forward from here.”

Top-10 from the Iowa 100...........
1} Sebastien Saavedra, Bryan Herta Autosport, 115 laps
2} Martin Plowman, Andretti Autosport, -0.482 sec
3} J.K. Vernay, Sam Schmidt Mtrspts., -1.368 sec
4} Adrian Campos, Jr., Team Moore Racing, -5.847 sec
5} James Hinchcliffe, Team Moore Racing, -7.498 sec
6} Philip Major, Sam Schmidt Mtrspts., -10.551 sec
7} Stefan Wilson, Bryan Herta Autosport, -13.730 sec
8} Pippa Mann, Sam Schmidt Mtrspts., -20.267 sec
9} Dan Clarke, Walker Racing, -1 lap
10} Rodrigo Barbosa, PDM Racing, -3 laps