Pre-Season Testing - 2006

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:35 pm

Oh yes I would be that negative, just to wind you up :D

The only problem I have with the french relates to a certain sailing ship in a certain harbour in the South Pacific, I have always admired their mechanical ability, and have owned 2 "pugs" which were great cars :lol:

Thats twice you have agreed with me, I am very, very, worried :?

I dont mind Alonso, at all, in fact I think he is quite a capable driver 8). Being heterosexual as I am, I just dont think of him as particularly cute.

The poms are well versed at disappointment in the various sporting arenas, Im sure they coped with China :)
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:28 pm

Well I do hope they do well. It would be a shame if they didn't. However blind optimism is not a trait I have much of (Webber excluded of course). I have read that interview on another website, but I still feel they are leaving it a bit late.
Ok, Lewis may win the WDC in 07, but Sato will beat him in 08.

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:32 pm

Julian Mayo wrote:Oh yes I would be that negative, just to wind you up :D

The only problem I have with the french relates to a certain sailing ship in a certain harbour in the South Pacific, I have always admired their mechanical ability, and have owned 2 "pugs" which were great cars :lol:

Thats twice you have agreed with me, I am very, very, worried :?

I dont mind Alonso, at all, in fact I think he is quite a capable driver 8). Being heterosexual as I am, I just dont think of him as particularly cute.

The poms are well versed at disappointment in the various sporting arenas, Im sure they coped with China :)
And don't forget their antics in the south pacific re atomic testing.

I was close to buying a Clio sport at one stage and thats what got me following Renault in F1. When they took over Benneton I was even happier to follow them.

However the fact that they are French is very inconvenient. Still, can't blame the whole nation for the acts of a few.

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:22 am

rah wrote:blind optimism is not a trait I have much of (Webber excluded of course). I have read that interview on another website, but I still feel they are leaving it a bit late.
Blind!!!

They are the title holders so they must be doing something right rah!!
I am sure you know that they went from the wide V angle back to the traditional V angle just 2 years ago yet still managed to produce a great engine.

Those 2 factors tell me that they are in the best position to produce a dominating V8 ahead of anyone else.
Mercedes Ilmor make me laugh, Honda have taken ages to produce a V10 and pretty much failed. Cosworth don't have the funds. Only Toyota IMHO could be a threat next year but they are on Bridgestones :lol: :lol:

Not blind rah but tell me who do you think will be the team to beat ? (apart from Williams of course :D )

As for leaving it too late, well Renault's 2006 car will be the second car to hit the track. Several top teams will have their cars ready nearly a month later. Too late ???
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:27 am

rah wrote: And don't forget their antics in the south pacific re atomic testing.

I was close to buying a Clio sport at one stage and thats what got me following Renault in F1. When they took over Benneton I was even happier to follow them.

However the fact that they are French is very inconvenient. Still, can't blame the whole nation for the acts of a few.
Don't think we should discuss politics here but if we stop following teams based on their country's policies we won't follow any team including our own :shock: :shock: :shock: Maybe New Zealand's 8)

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:01 am

W..e..l.l, team NZ are coming 4th in A1 :D

stiffpaper
Go Kart Racer
Go Kart Racer

Post by stiffpaper » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:04 pm

hello!!! i'm back after a really long break... wahaha!!! i dunno what f1 will be like in 2006... loads of difference rite! :mrgreen: aniwae is there any changes in the f1 rules next yr? other than the tyres and the different engine??
Feel the adrenaline RUSH...

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:50 pm

JayVee wrote:
rah wrote:blind optimism is not a trait I have much of (Webber excluded of course). I have read that interview on another website, but I still feel they are leaving it a bit late.
Blind!!!

They are the title holders so they must be doing something right rah!!
I am sure you know that they went from the wide V angle back to the traditional V angle just 2 years ago yet still managed to produce a great engine.

Those 2 factors tell me that they are in the best position to produce a dominating V8 ahead of anyone else.
Mercedes Ilmor make me laugh, Honda have taken ages to produce a V10 and pretty much failed. Cosworth don't have the funds. Only Toyota IMHO could be a threat next year but they are on Bridgestones :lol: :lol:

Not blind rah but tell me who do you think will be the team to beat ? (apart from Williams of course :D )

As for leaving it too late, well Renault's 2006 car will be the second car to hit the track. Several top teams will have their cars ready nearly a month later. Too late ???
I know it looks good on paper, Renault will be one of the first teams to debut their complete car, but this will also be the first time they are trying their V8 in any car. It just worries me that is all.

Mercedes came second last year, I would not discount them so easily. Honda acually have their name on the car this year, discounting them would be downright insane at this stage.
Williams Cosworth will be interesting to watch, no I do not think they will be number one next year, but they may be up there and they do have a chance.
Toyota seem like a favourite for the title to me. Although they have not quite put it together so far as a team.
I am not sure if you know of them, but there is another team that could tair your dream assunder. They drive red cars and should not be overlooked. At least they have some goals now.

Realistically until we get to the first race I stil don't know who will be the form team next year. But do not discount Bridgestone with the new tire rule.

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:40 pm

rah, if I take a cautious approach that means I won't get excited/dissapointed when the season starts :D

From what I read on other forums, Renault are using this approach as their engine is completely new while the other teams are just taking two cylinders out. Reason is that the V10 Renault is a V 72 while the new regulations require a V 90.

Mercedes and Honda have had so many failures and thus I can safely assume that in the first year of a new engine they will continue the trend.

The Cosworth didn't impress me in the first test but Williams do tend to go slow in testing. We'll see.

Toyota we agree :D
The second red cars we don't :shock: , even if the Bridgestones are closer to the Michelins :D :D (blaming Bridgestone was half true IMHO and rarely did a team in any sport recover so soon after dominating for so long)

Oh and there is a very thin line between being a genius and being insane :shock: :shock: 8)

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:50 pm

Um........................................................................damn. I cant.
What you said JV :cry:

GhoGho
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by GhoGho » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:15 am

Julian Mayo wrote:Um........................................................................damn. I cant.
What you said JV :cry:
Huh? :shock:
Thats what I said and then she fired me........... :(

Well almost :wink:
I'm in shape

Round is a shape...........

:cheers:

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:42 pm

Mega test at Jerez starts today.

8 Formula 1 teams are due to start testing at the Jerez circuit today. BMW Sauber will join tomorrow. Only Toro Rosso aren't scheduled to test.

The test will span 11 days with a day break on the 12th of December.
The 11th is allocated for Bridgestone 'wet' testing while the 17th and 18th are allocated for Michelin 'wet' testing.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:58 am

A couple of interesting points from day 1 :shock:
Renault fastest ! with a rev limited v10 :shock:
Naraian faster than Nico!
Ferrari fastest of the V8s (wheres that bloody F1 Boats schedule :cry: )

Seperately "Quick Nick" has begun the pre-season psyche testing on JV.
He stated that he (Nick) is not the No1 driver, that it is up to him to determine his position in the team with results. He said he is up against a quick and experienced team mate which is what he wanted.......then added,he was disappointed with JV in 2005. Now that sounds like the young lion saying " Move over Granpa, Im here :shock:

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:51 am

First day of testing at Jerez.

Renault test driver Franck Montagny set the fastest time of the day in a restricted V10. Ferrari test driver Marc Gene was second fastest in the F2004M fitted with a V8 engine.
8 Formula 1 teams were present with BMW Sauber joining tomorrow.

Renault's test driver Heikki Kovalainen covered the most number of laps with 118 followed by Franck Montagny and Anthony Davidson with 103 laps each.

No major incidents reported although Luca Badoer in the Ferrari F2005 with a restricted V10 spun off and Ryan Briscoe's Toyota engine failed.
Ralf Schumacher cut his test short due to a back injury.

For comparison purposes, the fastest lap time set in Jerez in 2005 was a 1:15.561 by Pedro de la Rosa in the McLaren MP4/20. You can check out the Best Lap Times - Testing Circuits Thread

Full Report and lap times

Honda Racing Test Notes - Renault Test Notes - Toyota Test Notes - McLaren Test Notes - Ferrari Test Notes - Williams Test Notes - MF1 Racing Test Notes
Last edited by Ed on Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:05 am

If Narain can post a time within .5 of a sec of the ferrari, Im looking forward to Webber getting into the car :) ( quietly tucks F1Boat calender into back pocket) 8)