The British Grand Prix Thread (Montoya wins!)

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:11 am

2nd Placed Fernando Alonso said
It is a nice surprise to be on the podium at one of our most difficult circuits, and to have extended my lead over Kimi in the championship. It was also encouraging because we started from pole, which shows that the car is competitive, and I think we are looking strong for the rest of the season too. In terms of the race, I lost the lead at the start and after that, followed Montoya until the stops. The team gave me a heavy fuel load so we could try and overtake during the final stops, but then I got stuck in traffic ? I lost a lot of time behind Trulli but it wasn't his fault because they were not showing any blue flags. That meant I was still behind when I came out after my last stop. It is a bit frustrating to lose a win because of that, but this is still a great result for us
Full Renault team and driver quotes

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:17 am

Team and driver quotes following the race now available here

The FIA Post Race Winner's Press Conference is now available here with Juan Pablo Montoya, Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen

Byron Forbes
F3 Racer
F3 Racer

Post by Byron Forbes » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:49 am

Was pretty sure Montoya would win here - a good drive from him, good tactics from his team and a little bit of bad luck for Alonso. I actually never thought Renault was so close to McLaren - they are dead equal cars. Fisichella stuffed up royally - or was it the car?

I reckon McLaren are favourites for Constructors, but with Fisichella showing he can't be dismissed completely, he may help Renault in this reguard. I think it's a safe bet we will only be seeing McLaren or Renault winning the remaining races if not filling every podium place.

I mentioned how unlucky I thought Raikonen was but I must admit that having engines let go in practice is a lot better than them letting go in the race. 3rd is a lot better than DNF! 8)

Will the pressure McLaren is putting on Renault force some reliability problems from Renault - especially Alonso? Stay tuned! :D