Honda to withdraw from F1

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

cmlean

Honda to withdraw from F1

Post by cmlean » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:58 am

Honda have announced that they will be withdrawing from Formula 1 and the end of the 2021 season.
Just what will happen to Red Bull and AlphaTauri in relation to power units is still to be announced.
Renault have capability however this company was their last power unit supplier.
Ferrari are also an option but will they be willing to take on another 2 teams?
Mercedes have just taken on McLaren so will they want any additional opposition?

Tim
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Honda to withdraw from F1

Post by Tim » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:32 pm

Honda must be very unlucky in F1, last time the GFC forced them out of F1 and this time the pandemic!

It is puzzling though that a company like Honda enters F1 in 2015 and decides to leave 5 years later, it is way too short of a timeframe. I just feel that it is purely a cost cutting measure and nothing to do with the move away from internal combustion engines.

Red Bull and Alpha Tauri will have to go back to Renault as neither Mercedes not Ferrari are obliged to supply them with engines, from next year Renault will only supply their own Alpine team so unless Audi or some other engine manufacturer decides to enter F1, Renault will be obliged to supply them. It may not be a bad thing, Renault have been quietly improving!

cmlean

Re: Honda to withdraw from F1

Post by cmlean » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:28 pm

I think that Honda lost face with the breakdown of their alliance with McLaren. They have been supplying power units to Red Bull and AlphaTauri however they were probably meeting their obligations that they had established previously. My opinion.
Japanese culture is a fickle beast.