Silly Season--CCWS, 2006

All about the Champ Car World Series (CCWS)

Moderators: Ed, mlittle

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Silly Season--CCWS, 2006

Post by mlittle » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:39 pm

For once, the talk around the ChampCar paddock is who will be going where in 2006, rather than will there be a ChampCar season in 2006?

Looking at the current teams, here's my first guess, as of 14 Sept. 2005..

1}Newman-Haas Racing. Currently, in the same position that Ferrari held in Formula 1 until this year, they've got some hard choices to make. Assuming that Sebastien Bourdais continues to get the cold shoulder from F1, and that Bruno Junquiera recovers enough to return in 2006, where does Oriol Servia go? He's done a heck of a job subbing for Junky, which begs the question...might NHR run a third car for the Catalonian next year? Also, former NHR alum Cristiano DaMatta and his business agent, Fernando Paias, were seen in Montreal with NHR's Carl Haas. With Shorty's PKV contract a 1-yr. deal, could he be headed to NHR?

2}PKV Racing...Jimmy Vasser's made it clear he could retire at the end of this year, which opens up one seat as he would move from driver/co-owner to co-owner. If Servia gets the axe from NHR, this seat could be his. Then again, both Ryan Dalziel and Katherine Legge have been at about every race with PKV(Dalziel as a team consultant and Legge as an Atlantic driver for Polestar Racing), and all three co-owners at PKV(Vasser, Kalkhoven, and Dan Pettit) have made it no secret that, barring anything unforseen, at least one seat will be hers', either in 2007 or 2006 if Vasser retires and she has a bang-up, 100% successful test later this year.

3}Forsythe Championship Racing...Like Vasser, Paul Tracy has a few years left in him, enough for at least 1 more good shot at the Vanderbilt Cup. Unless he departs for NASCAR in 2006, his seat's safe. Likewise for teammate Mario Dominguez, who ChampCar needs to keep in order to bring in more Mexican racefans.

4}RuSport Racing. Carl Russo, the owner of this upstart team, has the quietest part of the CCWS paddock. Why? Both of his drivers, A.J. Allmendinger and Justin Wilson, are signed for 2006.

5}Rocketsports Racing. Unless Ryan Hunter-Reay quickly boosts his stock with the Gentilozzi-led team, he'll be looking for a ride in 2006. Likewise teammate Timo Glock, although his seat appears a little safer. At the moment.

6}HVM Racing. While Bjorn Wirdheim's probably racing for his career these last 4 races, Rodalfo Lavin hasn't done much better. Making things worse...the fact that in 2006, current Dale Coyne Racing driver Ronnie Bremer(who started at HVM this year) is guaranteed a seat for 2006, meaning there will be at least 1 new seat next year.

7}MiJack-Conquest Racing. Nelson Phillipe might've "bought" his seat in 2005, but his performance this year, while not sparkling, has probably gotten him one more year. Not so for Andrew Ranger, who has steadily slid backwards after becoming the youngest CCWS racer to step on the podium(with a 2nd at Monterrey in May). His seat will depend on whether owner Eric Bachelart can afford to have a second seat there.

8}Walker Racing/Team Australia. While Alex Tagliani has had a decent season, rookie Marcus Marshall hasn't. Expect one seat to be open(chances are, Marshall gets shown the door).

9}Dale Coyne Racing. ChampCar's version of what a combined Minardi and Jordan team would look like, they appear to have at least one safe seat with Ricardo Sperafico in it. The former F3000 racer and Williams F1 tester hasn't blazed a path to the front, but they need to keep him in order to provide continuity, especially once Ronnie Bremer(read #6) goes back to HVM. But DCR has had a history, like Minardi in F1, of bringing new drivers in who go on to have better careers elsewhere. Remember, this was the team that Paul Tracy drove for in 1991, and look what he's done since. The second seat, therefore, is wide open. Best guess....unless he does a third Atlantic season, Tonis Kasemets is at the front of the line here.

Who also has a shot? That list is short, but includes: Charles Zwolsman(2005 Atlantic champion), Milka Duno(Rolex Sports Car Series driver), and Luis Schiavo(Star Mazda Series driver).

Every couple of weeks, I'll post a projection as to who will be where, based on all pertinent information. All I can say is...wish me luck!
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Seen in Las Vegas.....part I

Post by mlittle » Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:01 pm

There were some interesting happenings in the paddock today in Vegas. Case in point, business agent Toby Scheckter was there. If the name sounds familiar, it should; he's the younger brother of IRL racer Tomas Scheckter. When asked about why he was there, he said, "I'm here to see what Champ Car is all about. The series is moving in a very positive direction and we are keeping our options open for next year." When asked why brother Tomas entered the IndyCar Series in 2002(which was an all-oval series then), considering Scheckter's road-racing resume, Toby said, "At the time the IRL was stronger than CART was, but things have changed." Also present in the paddock were former CCWS drivers Michel Jourdain, Jr., Darren Manning and Mario Haberfeld. Silly season on the CCWS side of the "river" is starting to get interesting. Stay tuned, everyone.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

DaMatta Headed to NHR?

Post by mlittle » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:52 am

According to sources inside the ChampCar paddock, 2002 series champion Cristiano DaMatta could be headed back to Newman-Haas Racing in a third FC/L for the 2006. This would effectively give the current #1 team in ChampCar another top driver, but it could also effectively mean.....that when Bruno Junquiera recovers from his injuries at Indy, sub Oriol Servia may be driving for his career.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:09 am

With his latest Q position, Marshall may have shut the door, rather than have it shown to him. More so if he beats Tags home :D
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Manning and Carpentier to PKV?

Post by mlittle » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:11 am

Also at the top of the rumor mill....Darren Manning and Patrick Carpentier's business agent were seen talking to PKV general manager Jim McGee yesterday. Considering that DaMatta is possibly headed back to NHR(see previous posting) and Jimmy Vasser is probably going to retire after the year ends, either Manning or Carpentier would be a good choice for the team, especially when Vasser become a full-time co-owner with the team. Speaking of PKV's future...Vasser was asked about where Atlantics driver Katherine Legge fit into the team's plans. Vasser stated that she would likely remain in Atlantics for 2006 but would be first in line for one of PKV's rides in 2007. Chances are...if she has a great 2006 Atlantics campaign, and PKV's drivers do well, they might just, instead of giving her one of the two current seats, bring a third car into the fold for her, similar to how Rahal-Letterman expanded to three cars for the 2005 IRL season.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:16 am

You know, Marshall might have breathed new life into his ChampCar career, but if Walker has to pick between either Marcus or Darren (Manning)....sorry, Julian, Marshall would get the axe. Manning gave Walker Racing a decent 2003 season alongside Mario Haberfeld(and both were driving near-obsolete FC/Reynards in 2003), as opposed to Marshall in a spec-05' FC/L. Right now, about the only way Marshall keeps his seat is if either Manning gets tapped by PKV next year, or Marshall starts matching Tag in performance the next four races.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:18 am

Hmmm, what about Team OZ having an Oz driver ?

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:32 am

You're right, but you know, Marshall's not the only Aussie who could slide into that seat. I'm not the gambling type, but I'll bet that Team Australia might just try convincing Ryan Briscoe to switch series next year...after all, his IRL season's done for the year, and I'll bet ChampCar might be another avenue for him to explore. With all the bad luck the Chipster's been having, that might be a good alternative.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:37 am

BTW, Marshall posted P6 in the final practice today in Vegas. He might just have a shot tonight.... :shock: :shock:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:38 am

If Marshall outperforms Tags for the rest of the season, there might be two Aussies in the team then :lol: And Tags could become the second Canadian in our premium touring car category. A few years ago a bloke called Alan Moffat was among the top pilots for many years.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:40 am

True, true..the way this year's been in motorsports, anything is distinctly and utterly possible. :shock: :shock: :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

New American Racer in Champ Car....

Post by mlittle » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:42 pm

According to sources inside Rocketsports Racing, 2004 Star Mazda Series champion Michael McDowell, who currently races in the Rolex Sports Car Series for Finlay Mtrspts., tested a Rocketsports Ford-Cos./Loa at Putnam Park outside Indianapolis, Ind. today. In addition, autoracing1.com is reporting that an announcement concerning McDowell and the team is expected for later this week. My guess....either he's getting a third car for Surfers and Mexico City, or either Ryan Hunter-Reay or Timo Glock will be getting their walking papers...soon.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Seat Predictions, 5 October 2005

Post by mlittle » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:56 pm

Based on current silly season projections, here is what the projected 2006 ChampCar World Series roster looks like(with notes where needed).

1}Newman-Haas Racing:Sebastien Bourdais, Oriol Servia(?), Bruno Junquiera(?). SeaBass is the only solid seat at the moment, while Servia will drive the last two rounds for NHR. Junquiera's expected to run in Mexico City, and the team is considering a third car for Servia in 2006.

2}PKV Racing:Jimmy Vasser(?), Cristiano Da Matta(?), Darren Manning(?), Katherine Legge(?). Both seats are in flux, as Vasser hasn't officially made clear whether he'll retire in 2005. Da Matta's potentially rumored to be leaving for a seat at NHR. If either leave, Manning would likely be option #1, but probably a short-term option. Legge probably needs at least a half-yr. of Atlantics before jumping up to CC, but...from all indications, when 2007 arrives, at least one seat is hers.

3}Forythe Championship Racing:Paul Tracy, Mario Dominguez. Tracy'll remain at Forsythe for his career, while Dominguez most likely will stay for 2006.

4}RuSport Racing: A.J. Allmendinger, Justin Wilson. Barring anything unforseen, both seats are confirmed for 2006.

5}RocketSports Racing:Ryan Hunter-Reay(?), Timo Glock(?). Both seats appear safe...but, the team did test Michael McDowell yesterday at Putnam Pk. near Indy.

6}HVM Racing:Ronnie Bremer, Rodalfo Lavin(?), Bjorn Wirdheim(?), Homero Richards(?). Bremer, currently racing for Dale Coyne, will be with HVM in 2006. As for the other seat....it's wide open at the moment.

7}MiJack-Conquest Racing:Nelson Phillipe, Andrew Ranger, Mario Haberfeld(?). Phillipe's ride is secure for 2006, while the other will likely be up in the air in the off-season. Haberfeld was seen in Vegas talking to co-owner Eric Bachelart, so Ranger may be racing for his career.

8}Walker Racing/Team Australia:Alex Tagliani, Marcus Marshall. At the moment, there are no changes expected. Tag should remain, while Marshall may remain; if not, expect another Aussie driver in the seat.

9}Dale Coyne Racing:Ricardo Sperafico(?), Michael Valiente(?), Luis Schaivo(?), Tarso Marques(?), Gaston Mazzacane(?). I hate to say it, but DCR's 2 cars will be filled by whoever brings the most money to the table, period.

At least two new teams are expected for the 2006 season. Antonio Ferrari's EuroInternational squad is expected to field a 1-car ride for most of the 2006 season, then going to 2 cars for 2007. The other is a current IRL team, Target/Ganassi Racing, a former CC staple, which is considering a move to race in about half of the ChampCar races in 2006 and beyond, most likely with a 2-car team.

No. of Confirmed Drivers:4
No. of Open Seats:14-18

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:07 pm

When you say half a season of Atlanics for Legge, do you mean that she will step in for various unavailable drivers at various times, or step up for the second half of the season if another driver gets the royal order of the boot?
Who would you see replacing Marshall ?

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:07 pm

From what I can gather, Julian, the plan at PKV is to have her complete a full season of Atlantics if possible, but that would depend on a couple of things:A)will Jimmy Vasser stay past 2005?; B)can they convince Cristiano da Matta not to bolt for Newman-Haas in 2006; and C)if either of them leave, can they find someone who can drive and push the team forward(Manning, for instance). However, if Katherine has a good first-half of a 2006 Atlantics season, and they need her to step-up to ChampCar, I don't see any reason why not.

As to Marshall....well, his seat's safe, for the moment. If not, my first pick(if I were Walker) would likely be Ryan Briscoe, but he's still under contract to Ganassi and if TGR runs those 6-7 ChampCar races next year, he's likely to be in one of the Chipster's rides. After that....two drivers come to mind, Matt Halliday, who may or moy not test for the team in the off-season, and Kiwi racer Wade Cunningham, who currently leads in the IRL Infiniti Pro Series standings. My feeling though, is that if Walker wants to keep the Aussie Vineyards sponsorship, then unless Marshall screws up completely, the second seat is his.