All about Indy Racing League (IRL)

Moderators: Ed, mlittle

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Lotus/Cosworth To Challenge Chevy, Honda in 2012

Post by mlittle » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:26 am

IndyCar: Lotus to badge engines in 2012, will compete against Honda and Chevy

It seems GM Racing's decision to return to Indycar racing in 2012 has opened up a bit of a floodgate in terms of new engine manufacturers...........
Car manufacturer Lotus is set to play a large role in the future of the Izod IndyCar Series. Multiple sources confirmed to AutoWeek on Wednesday that Lotus will go head-to-head in the engine war against Honda and Chevrolet and will badge V6s when IndyCar debuts its new chassis and engine package in 2012.

The news comes as a bit of a surprise after series CEO Randy Bernard on Tuesday said he did not expect to have a third engine supplier for the 2012 season. The deadline for engine makers to sign up for 2012 was midnight on Nov. 17, and it appears that Lotus pulled the trigger at the last possible moment. This is the same Malaysian-backed group that currently disputes Formula One team Lotus Racing’s right to use the name “Lotus” in competition.

A formal announcement is scheduled for Thursday afternoon at the Los Angeles auto show. Lotus will join Honda and Chevrolet as participating auto manufacturers, giving the sport the competition that it has so desperately lacked since Chevrolet and Toyota quit the series after the 2005 season, leaving Honda as IndyCar’s sole supplier.

It is unclear which company will build the Lotus engines, but Cosworth is the most likely choice, given its technical alliance with parent company Group Lotus. Ilmor will build the Chevrolets; Honda Performance Development will build its own twin-turbo V6s.

Lotus previously announced plans to design and supply aerodynamic kits for the new Dallara chassis. Dallara will build its chassis in a new factory yet to be constructed outside Indianapolis in Speedway, Ind. The Lotus Group already stuck a toe back into the IndyCar water when it joined KV Racing Technology to sponsor the car of series rookie Takuma Sato in 2010.

KV co-owner and 1996 CART World Series champion Jimmy Vasser said recently that the team will be rebranded as Lotus/KV next year.

Team Penske will use Chevrolet power when the new engine arrives, but the rest of IndyCar’s teams are yet to make their choice. They now have one more option.
:burnout: :burnout: :burnout:
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:58 am

Speed Channel: Lotus Confirms 2012 Engine, Aero Kit

We now have three engine suppliers to the IndyCar Series starting in 2012........
---Honda Performance Development
---GM Racing
---Lotus-Cosworth

:burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Prasanth
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by Prasanth » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:05 pm

It was the news that I think it could be a possible for that competing factor. We can see the development of every car. As long as the Lotus that they had a car that can deal into others.

Quirked889
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by Quirked889 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:43 am

I love Lotus so I hope they fare well

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:22 pm

Quirked889 wrote:I love Lotus so I hope they fare well
I think Lotus'll do alright; it just depends on which team they start with in 2012(odds are it will be KV Racing but nothing's set in stone yet.....)