2011 IndyCar Rd.9--Honda Indy Toronto

All about Indy Racing League (IRL)

Moderators: Ed, mlittle

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

2011 IndyCar Rd.9--Honda Indy Toronto

Post by mlittle » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:23 pm

As the stars of the IZOD IndyCar Series pass the halfway point of the 2011 season, the series heads north of the border for the first of two events on the schedule.....the first of which takes the series to Canada's largest city, Toronto and the streets of Exhibition Place. :burnout: :burnout:

Past Winners...........................
~~Michael Andretti, 1989, 1991-92, 1994-95, 2000-01(7)
~~Al Unser, Jr., 1988 & 1990(2)
~~Paul Tracy, 1993, 2003(2)*
~~Bobby Rahal, 1986(1)
~~Emerson Fittipaldi, 1987(1)
~~Adrian Fernandez, 1996(1)
~~Mark Blundell, 1997(1)
~~Alex Zanardi, 1998(1)
~~Dario Franchitti, 1999, 2009(2)*
~~Cristiano da Matta, 2002(1)
~~Sebastien Bourdais, 2004(1)*
~~Justin Wilson, 2005(1)*
~~A.J. Allmendinger, 2006(1)
~~Will Power, 2007, 2010(2)*
*--current active IndyCar Series competitor

Weekend Schedule
--Practice Session 1: 10:55am-12:10pm, 8 July 2011
--Practice Session 2: 2:50-3:50pm, 8 July 2011
--Practice Session 3: 9-10am, 9 July 2011
--Firestone Knockout Qualifying: 12:50-2:10pm, 9 July 2011
--Final Practice Session: 8:40-9:10am, 10 July 2011
--Honda Indy Toronto, 2pm 10 July 2011 on VERSUS
Last edited by mlittle on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:24 pm

TrackMap, Exhibition Place-Toronto

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:40 pm

Honda Indy Toronto Entry List

Oriol Servia, #2 Telemundo-NHR
Helio Castroneves, #3 Penske Truck Rentals
(R)J.R. Hildebrand, #4 National Guard
Takuma Sato, #5 Lotus-KV Racing
Ryan Briscoe, #6 PPG Automotive
Danica Patrick, #7 GoDaddy.com
Paul Tracy, #8 Make a Wish Foundation
Scott Dixon, #9 Target
Dario Franchitti, #10 Target
Will Power, #12 Verizon Wireless
Vitor Meira, #14 ABC Supply Co.
(R)James Jakes, #18 Acorn Stairlifts
Sebastien Bourdais, #19 Boy Scouts of America
Justin Wilson, #22 Z-Line Designs
(R)Ana Beatriz, #24 Ipringa-DRR
Marco Andretti, #26 Dr.Pepper
Mike Conway, #27 @AndrettiAutosport
Ryan Hunter-Reay, #28 DHL-Circle K
(R)Sebastien Saavedra, #34 Conquest Racing
Graham Rahal, #38 Service Central
E.J. Viso, #59 PDVSA-KV Racing
Alex Tagliani, #77 Bowers & Wilkins
Simona de Silvestro, #78 Nuclear Clean Air Energy
Tony Kanaan, #82 GEICO-KV Racing
(R)Charlie Kimball, #83 Novolog-Levemir FlexPen
(R)James Hinchcliffe, #06 Sprotts-NHR

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:26 am

Toronto Practice Session 1 top-5
1} Dario Franchitti, Target/Ganassi Racing.............1:01.568 sec
2} Helio Castroneves, Team Penske......................1:01.632 sec
3} Ryan Hunter-Reay, Andretti Autosport...............1:01.664 sec
4} Justin Wilson, Dreyer & Reinbold Racing............1:01.732 sec
5} Will Power, Team Penske...................................1:01.791 sec

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:07 am

Toronto Practice Session 2 Top-5
1} Will Power, Team Penske..................................1:00.558 sec
2} Scott Dixon, Target/Ganassi Racing..................1:00.666 sec
3} Dario Franchitti, Target/Ganassi Racing............1:00.974 sec
4}(R)James Hinchcliffe, Newman-Haas Racing.......1:01.006 sec
5} Tony Kanaan, KV Racing Tech.,.........................1:01.013 sec

Toronto Practice Session 3 Top-5
1} Mike Conway, Andretti Autosport....................1:00.047 sec
2} Scott Dixon, Target/Ganassi Racing................1:00.105 sec
3} Helio Castroneves, Team Penske....................1:00.168 sec
4} Tony Kanaan, KV Racing Tech.,........................1:00.303 sec
5} Justin Wilson, Dreyer & Reinbold Racing..........1:00.363 sec

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Power On Point At Exhibition Place

Post by mlittle » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:17 am

With his pole-winning effort, Team Penske's Will Power extends his streak of consecutive road-street course poles to eight......

----TORONTO -- Of his 21 career Indy car pole starts, which includes eight in a row on road/street courses over two seasons, Will Power rates the latest as one of his personal greatest.
• The 200th in open-wheel racing for Penske Racing. Check.
• The fact that he's started from the pole in 15 of his past 33 starts. Sure.
• That it was the fifth pole for Team Penske in the 10 IZOD IndyCar Series races. Yeah.

This one, he really had to earn it through three grueling rounds of qualifications on the 1.755-mile, 11-turn Exhibition Place circuit. Five different teams were represented in the Firestone Fast Six, with Power recording a quick lap of 59.5771 seconds with 3 minutes left in the 10-minute session to win the PEAK Performance Pole Award for the 85-lap race July 10. "Man, we really had to work hard for that in the Verizon car," said Power, the defending race winner who's second in the IZOD IndyCar Series championship race. "I've never won a pole here in Toronto and I love this place. When you turn a fast lap here, you're really just exhausted.

"This is such a physical track. It's a real driver's track with all the different surfaces and all the bumps, you really need to wring its neck out there and that's what I love about it. That’s the great thing about IZOD IndyCar. We’re not on these super smooth, same grip surfaces with a heap of downforce. You’ve really got to drive these things and I think that’s what’s great about IndyCar racing. It's great to be on pole here but this is a track where you can really pass a lot of cars and move forward from the back, so we still have a lot of work to do tomorrow."

Scott Dixon, driving the No. 9 Target Chip Ganassi Racing car, will start on the front row for the second time this season (59.6646 seconds on his final lap). IZOD IndyCar Series points leader Dario Franchitti (59.9000) in the No. 10 Target Chip Ganassi Racing will share Row 2 with Andretti Autosport's Mike Conway (59.9336).

Franchitti set the track record of 59.3535 seconds in the first round of qualifications. "It’s tough out there, it’s very close," he said. "I think my car was pretty fast, I just missed a little bit and you can see the difference. But it’s close, and that’s part of the IZOD IndyCar Series, you can come so, so close, but you have to do a good job."

Graham Rahal, driving the No. 38 Service Central car, and Oriol Servia in the No. 2 Telemundo Newman/Haas Racing car are on the third row. Sebastien Bourdais, the 2004 Toronto race winner and a three-time pole sitter, will start seventh in the No. 19 Boy Scouts of America car for Dale Coyne Racing.

"For us to make the top six I think is a huge achievement because you look at the people that are surrounding us here, it's the best of the best," said Rahal, who turned a fifth-place starting spot in Brazil in May into a runner-up finish to Power. "Certainly this series is so competitive right now, you're finding hundredths of a second to move in and out of one group. We've raced a lot better this year than we've qualified. So to qualify up here, it feels real nice."

Ryan Hunter-Reay in the No. 28 Team DHL/Circle K/Sun Drop Citrus Soda car for Andretti Autosport will join Bourdais on Row 4. Alex Tagliani in the No. 77 Bowers & Wilkins car for Sam Schmidt Motorsports and Ryan Briscoe, driving the No. 6 PPG Automotive Refinish Team Penske car, will be on Row 5.

Justin Wilson, the 2010 pole sitter, will start 11th in the No. 22 Z-Line Designs Dreyer & Reinbold Racing entry, and Helio Castroneves will start 12th in the No. 3 Penske Truck Rentals car. James Hinchcliffe of suburban Toronto missed on advancing to the second round by 0.0250 of a second and will start 13th in the No. 06 Sprott car for Newman/Haas Racing.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Franchitti Wins Crashfest at Toronto

Post by mlittle » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:20 pm

----TORONTO – Before turning a lap, Dario Franchitti issued a cautionary note about 26 cars squeezing through the narrow twists and turns of the 1.755-mile, 11-turn Exhibition Place street course in the Honda Indy Toronto. “Small mistakes will be punished, and in some cases, it could take out multiple cars,” the IZOD IndyCar Series championship points leader said.

It was prescient and also proved to be personal. Tempers flared, multiple cars required rhinoplasty to get back in the fray and questions intertwined with accusations on pit lane until the final double-file restart. In the end, it was Franchitti who kissed the glass bowl for photographers in the 25th anniversary race, prevailing in the caution-filled 85 laps (eight full-course yellows) for his third victory on the streets of Toronto and 30th of his career.

Target Chip Ganassi Racing teammate Scott Dixon was 0.7345 of a second behind and Ryan Hunter-Reay in the No. 28 Team DHL/Circle K/Sun Drop Citrus Soda car for Andretti Autosport was third. Marco Andretti, the race winner 15 days earlier at Iowa Speedway, jumped from the 20th starting position to fourth and Vitor Meira finished a season-high fifth in the No. 14 ABC Supply car for A.J. Foyt Racing.

Franchitti broke a tie with Rick Mears (29 wins) and is one behind Sebastien Bourdais and Paul Tracy -- both of whom competed in the race – on the all-time list. But it wasn’t without controversy. Will Power, the pole sitter in the No. 12 Verizon Team Penske car, overtook Franchitti’s No. 10 car for sixth place in Turn 5 on Lap 54 (five laps after both cycled through for pit stops) and continued to power through by passing Simona de Silvestro’s No. 78 Nuclear Clean Air Energy/HVM Racing car on the next lap for fifth.

On Lap 56, Franchitti attempted to squeeze between Power’s car and the right-side concrete barrier, with minor contact causing Power’s car to spin in Turn 3. By the time the car was restarted, Power had fallen to 16th. A second incident, on Lap 66, ended Power’s day.

Franchitti said he'd take “50 percent of the blame” for the incident.
Power wasn’t as generous. “It’s just a really disappointing finish for the Verizon car,” said Power, who suffered his second consecutive DNF. “My team did a great job in the pits and we were working our way back toward the front and we got past Franchitti. We went into the corner and I gave him room and then he just drove into me.

“I understood he was going to get penalized but then there was no call. I just don’t understand that. After that we were just trying to get the best result possible before (Alex Tagliani) hit me from behind.”

INDYCAR officials in Race Control reviewed and ruled it a racing incident. Power lost 36 points to Franchitti in the championship chase with his second DNF in a row and trails by 55 heading to the Edmonton Indy in two weeks.

"On the restart, I got a good run down the backstraight and I was on Will's gearbox, and I actually just happened to just lift a little bit to avoid running into the back of him, and he pulled out and I went down the inside, and I started to brake," said Franchitti, who earned his first pole in North America in 1997 at Toronto. "I thought, 'Well, this is as late as I possibly can go in here' and Will went a bit deeper. I thought, 'Fair play.'
"The result of that was that he missed the apex of the corner and he ran wide. So I was, I think, in more control of my car, so I went down the inside there and got about third of the way alongside. As I had done before that day and as I did a lot subsequently both on the inside and outside, we started to run round the corner side by side.

"Will started to crowd me there, and unfortunately at that point as he was crowding, the wall comes out, and so I couldn't go any further to the right. So I was trying to get out of it, and I couldn't and I'd say that was my part in the accident. I think Will has equal blame in that in the fact that he came down across like I wasn't there."

"I don't like to race like that. I don't like to have contact, especially with the guy you're racing, as closely as Will and I race together."

Franchitti overtook Graham Rahal's No. 38 Service Central car in Turn 1 on Lap 71 on a Lap 71 restart and held off Dixon the remainder of the laps. "I thought to try and stay clean was extremely tough," said Dixon, who is third in the standings (minus 83 points). "The cars were really hard to drive today, especially on the first couple laps of the restarts. Everybody was fighting everywhere, and then we kind of just got onto a roll there where it was restart after restart after restart, especially towards the end.

"Yellows breed yellows, and I think that was definitely the case today. I think we had a car to win. Track position was definitely key. When it came down to the end it was not so bad to pass some of the guys back in the pack, but once you get to the front and obviously try and pass the ones that are quick, that's definitely more difficult."

Bourdais, the 2004 race winner and threee-time pole sitter, produced a season-best sixth place in the No. 19 Boy Scouts of America car for Dale Coyne Racing. Team Penske's Ryan Briscoe was seventh and rookie JR Hildebrand advanced 14 positions to finish eighth. E.J. Viso recorded his second top 10 of the season, and de Silvestro posted her third.

Janefer
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by Janefer » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:02 pm

Indy tournament is held successfully in every year. F1 racers are keen to participate in it. Atmosphere there is quite well, the arrangement of audience is in good manner. People like to see them with a closer look at hurdle side and on the big screen placed in track.