VIP Tower

Want to relax, share an experience or just have a friendly discussion. This is the place

Moderators: cmlean, Ed

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

VIP Tower

Post by gkaytaz » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:44 pm

Well, we have the Idiots bar and the Ladies' lounge. Now it's time to have a place where you can see everything from an entirely different angle. If you have high anxiety, never fear, we have soft couches available, far from the windows.

Here's a discussion topic:
Among all tracks (active or not), which one is your favorite? And why?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Snowy
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Re: VIP Tower

Post by Snowy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:27 am

gkaytaz wrote: Here's a discussion topic:
There's a nice view from up here, reminds me of the old Nordschleife :D Not my favourite circuit really...I never completed a lap in GP Legends. I'd have to say its Suzuka or Assen...However Zandvort was very amusing as was Brands Hatch and Watkins Glen...there seems to be a theme here...none of 'em are being used by F1. Why race at Silverstone when you could race round Brands, I ask you? Are there any sane officials in F1... :shock: I can't see any from up here! :x

There is another circuit I saw DTM's thrashing round in the early 90's what was that circuits name?... :oops: how embarrassing.

Bathurst has got to be one of the most picturesque and challenging and what about Laguna Seca? :shock: Basically anything thats long and undulating...

Actually come to think of it I used to lreally enjoy watching the V8's spitting fire on almost all the Australian circuits...something about the quality of the light and the aridness...I hate ovals with a passion is positively unhealthy... :roll:
Lewis Hamilton & Jenson Button World Champions :)

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:07 am

Snowy wrote:
gkaytaz wrote: Here's a discussion topic:
There's a nice view from up here, reminds me of the old Nordschleife :D Not my favourite circuit really...I never completed a lap in GP Legends. I'd have to say its Suzuka or Assen...However Zandvort was very amusing as was Brands Hatch and Watkins Glen...there seems to be a theme here...none of 'em are being used by F1. Why race at Silverstone when you could race round Brands, I ask you? Are there any sane officials in F1... :shock: I can't see any from up here! :x

There is another circuit I saw DTM's thrashing round in the early 90's what was that circuits name?... :oops: how embarrassing.

Bathurst has got to be one of the most picturesque and challenging and what about Laguna Seca? :shock: Basically anything thats long and undulating...

Actually come to think of it I used to lreally enjoy watching the V8's spitting fire on almost all the Australian circuits...something about the quality of the light and the aridness...I hate ovals with a passion is positively unhealthy... :roll:
Yeah. I am fond of older circuits too. There are some good circuits currently active (Suzuka, Spa and Istanbul being my faves) but they just don't seem to capture the glory of the old days. Apart from the three mentioned above these come to mind as well:
Mugello, Zandvoort, Brands Hatch, Estoril, Buenos Aires

BTW Laguna Seca and Watkins Glen are not half bad either :)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:04 am

In no particular order.............

W/in North America..........Road America, Laguna Seca, Watkins Glen(the long course), Sebring, the Daytona road course, Long Beach, Gilles Villeneuve(Montreal), Hermanos Rodriguez

Elsewhere............Bathurst, Spa-Francorchamps, Hockenheim(before they shortened it..... :x ), Le Mans(the 24-hours circuit)
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

cmlean

Post by cmlean » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:23 pm

Snowy wrote:There's a nice view from up here, reminds me of the old Nordschleife :D Not my favourite circuit really...I never completed a lap in GP Legends.
Hey Snowy.
I too am a fan of GP Legends and, after having my copy for a long time before I had a machine that would run it, am firmly hooked on the game. Spa and Nordschleife (Nurburgring) are two of my favourite circuits to play on.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:10 pm

Bathust, the original Nur'ring,... Spa........and I enjoy the overtaking in Turkey. The old Le Mans 24hr track.
Some years ago a Canadian driver went to Bathurst (Mt Panorama) for the first time. He was driven halfway around the track to the top of the Mountain, the car stopped and he got out to admire the view.........you can see for many, many miles. After a while he said......." this is lovely, but where is the track ?"
When he was told he was standing on it, he went slightly pale.
Alan Moffat went on to win "the Great Race" several times but he says he never again looked left as he crossed the top of the Mountain.
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Snowy
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by Snowy » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:16 pm

cmlean wrote: Hey Snowy.
I too am a fan of GP Legends and, after having my copy for a long time before I had a machine that would run it, am firmly hooked on the game. Spa and Nordschleife (Nurburgring) are two of my favourite circuits to play on.
My copy of GP Legends disapeared along with my son and his mother some years back, I like to think they are enjoying the view from Mt panorama. I'll look out for a copy of it though I'd like to give it a go on my slightly awesome games machine. My driving style is akin to that of fillipe Massa so staying on the circuit was never something that I achieved with GPL, and I remember a wet race at Monza I had with some friends where all but one of us spent the entire race on the grass. Our friend Tubby Trollow had something akin to the Midas touch when it came to sim racing, he could tell when he was on the edge. I on the other hand can only tell where the edge is when I have exceeded it. I graduated to Geoff Crammond's GP2 and found that if I practiced the circuit for 4 hours a day every day for the week before the race I was able to come a convincing close second and occassionally won a race. I like to think that all my sensitivity is in my bum and that the visual and audible feed back that computers give you puts me at a disadvantage. Have you tried simbin's GTR GT Racing? The handling of the cars is very reminiscent of GP legends but the circuits are a bit limited. Someone ought to expand them...oh of course there is Grande Tourismo which has interesting circuits, however I don't have a playstation and don't expect to ever get one. There was talk of it coming to the PC but that never happened which is a great shame.

I've gone on long enough :shock: ciao :wave:
Lewis Hamilton & Jenson Button World Champions :)

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:23 pm

V8supercars....ps2.........my ten yo will take you all on around Mt Panorama :D

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:40 pm

Recently I tried GTI Racing on PC. Not bad, even fun but a tad ho-hum as far as the realism goes.

A few days ago I got F1 2006 (again on PC). I think it's a port from PS2. Plays okay, yet does not improve over F1 Challenge 99-02 much.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:03 pm

gkaytaz wrote:Recently I tried GTI Racing on PC. Not bad, even fun but a tad ho-hum as far as the realism goes.

A few days ago I got F1 2006 (again on PC). I think it's a port from PS2. Plays okay, yet does not improve over F1 Challenge 99-02 much.
Fancy a quick run over the Blue Mountains in Therapy? She is by no means the quickest vehicle around in a straight line, but she did match a lotus 7 from Lithgow to Windsor pm today. Bugga, there goes another set of tyres

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:06 pm

Julian Mayo wrote: Fancy a quick run over the Blue Mountains in Therapy? She is by no means the quickest vehicle around in a straight line, but she did match a lotus 7 from Lithgow to Windsor pm today. Bugga, there goes another set of tyres
Sounds fun. A little tune-up and whoosh! :)

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:16 pm

gkaytaz wrote:
Julian Mayo wrote: Fancy a quick run over the Blue Mountains in Therapy? She is by no means the quickest vehicle around in a straight line, but she did match a lotus 7 from Lithgow to Windsor pm today. Bugga, there goes another set of tyres
You get to sit in the shotgun seat, with the brown paper bag. The only way to drive a ute quick is .....turn in, mash the brakes for .0002 of a second, flick, catch, flick, floor it. Geez I love Fangio :lol:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:17 pm

Julian Mayo wrote:
gkaytaz wrote:
You get to sit in the shotgun seat, with the brown paper bag. The only way to drive a ute quick is .....turn in late, mash the brakes for .0002 of a second, flick, catch, flick, floor it. Geez I love Fangio :lol:

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:23 pm

Julian Mayo wrote:
gkaytaz wrote:
You get to sit in the shotgun seat, with the brown paper bag. The only way to drive a ute quick is .....turn in, mash the brakes for .0002 of a second, flick, catch, flick, floor it. Geez I love Fangio :lol:
Packing my 12" already... As for the paper bag, I think I'll just put it on someone's face :)

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:31 pm

gkaytaz wrote:
Julian Mayo wrote:
gkaytaz wrote:
Packing my 12" already... As for the paper bag, I think I'll just put it on someone's face :)
Pick you up at Kingsford Smith Airport. You will know me 8)