New Circuit !

All about V8 Supercars Racing

Moderators: Ed, Julian Mayo

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

New Circuit !

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:05 pm

In a surprise announcement today, the City (Town?) of Hamilton, south of Auckland has announced that it will be running the New Zealand round of the V8 Supercar race for eight years, starting in 2008. Hamilton has a population of about 200,000, about the size of Ballarat.
The 4km circuit will take in 9 different streets, so I guess it has to have at least 10 turns.
Greg Murphy and Jason Richards are said to be in full support of the race.
The streets are:
Tristram
Ward
Seddon
King
High
Empire
Haig
Hall and Mills
Apparantly the Mayor of Hamilton has been in secret negotiations with V8Supercar for a number of months, and informed Council of the proposal
last month. Council then adopted the proposal unanimously.
Engineers reports will have to be obtained, along with a mountain of other paperwork.
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:26 pm

I reckon a few kiwi's would be doing laps of those streets before the race as comparisons. I know I would.
Ok, Lewis may win the WDC in 07, but Sato will beat him in 08.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:48 pm

rah wrote:I reckon a few kiwi's would be doing laps of those streets before the race as comparisons. I know I would.
I suspect the Motorway patrol might have guessed that :lol:
I googled up a map of the track, it could be quite interesting. A decent straight, and some tricky bits. Given that the largest area in New Zealand without a hill is about as big as your footprint, it may be even more interesting :lol:

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:27 pm

I wouldn't get too excited by Hamilton getting a race until they get resource consent. This may take six months. :twisted: Plenty of good ideas have become unstuck by failing to get resourse consent. :(

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:52 pm

Does Hamilton have any resources? :shock: Apart from the Scobie Bros Motorbike shop and the Commercial Hotel :D

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:50 am

The proposed circuit was mapped out by Capital StreetRace Management, the promoters behind the Wellington bid
One Stephen Vuleta took to the air in a chopper, armed with a street map and and marker pen!
New Zealand's dreaded "Resouce Consent ", or environmental approval is not thought to be too much of a handicap in getting the 7 year event up and running. Given that Hamilton has a pop. of only 160,000 it is widely felt that the Consent should be much easier to obtain

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:55 am

The proposed Hamilton circuit has been altered to provide an additional infield loop and hairpin, and shortening the course by one block to bring the action closer to the fans.
Greg Murphy, Steven Richards, and Marcus Marshall visited the track site last week and came away happy. Murph reckons it makes Hamilton the motor racing capital of NZ. The Dairy cattle that abound will be get swollen heads.

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:00 pm

The fact that the people of Hamilton are quiet about their chances of getting resource consent is a good sign. Usually by now, groups like the rate payers association would have made enough noise that everyone in NZ would have heard their complaints. :D

The reason that Hamilton would known as NZ motor racing capital is that Hamilton will be the NZ base of the WRC.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:28 pm

Southernman wrote:The fact that the people of Hamilton are quiet about their chances of getting resource consent is a good sign. Usually by now, groups like the rate payers association would have made enough noise that everyone in NZ would have heard their complaints. :D

The reason that Hamilton would known as NZ motor racing capital is that Hamilton will be the NZ base of the WRC.
Yes, I just put that in the reply to your other post.
Apparantly, there was only one dissenting business owner in the whole of Hamilton. I would imagine he is living on Stewart Island by now :lol:

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:38 pm

Hamilton has got the resource consent to hold the race from 2008. Well done to all those who put in the hard work for this to happen. :clap: :cheers:

Now the job of making sure that it's a success will begin

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:25 pm

Southernman wrote:Hamilton has got the resource consent to hold the race from 2008. Well done to all those who put in the hard work for this to happen. :clap: :cheers:

Now the job of making sure that it's a success will begin

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Well Done guys.

And what of the Hampton Downs consent ?

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:33 pm

Hampton downs had objections from Transit NZ. More data has to be collected on roading issues for things like cars going on the main highway.

Also one of their neigbours complained. I can't work out why the corrections department would complain.

The last hearing was about two weeks ago. The decision on it is expected soon. According tothe Hampton Downs website things went well. :D

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by <T-K> » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:00 am

Where might I find a map of the circuit?

I tried to google it, but all I got were thousands of Lewis Hamilton pictures 8)

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:56 pm

Thanks to Southernman, here is an image of the proposed circuit courtesy of The New Zealand Herald.

Linked from the article V8 Street Racing

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by <T-K> » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:48 pm

Looks promising :)