Brickyard Trivia........

Test your Formula 1 knowledge

Moderators: Ed, jacfan, lemon_martini2

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Brickyard Trivia........

Post by mlittle » Thu May 08, 2008 3:44 pm

Since it is the month of May and all eyes(ok, all NA motorsports eyes..... :lol: :lol: :shock: ) are squarely focused on the 2.5 miles of central Indiana blacktop a/k/a the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, I thought I'd put up a mid-season round of trivia concerning the Brickyard and "the Greatest Spectacle in Racing", the Indianapolis 500. I've tried to pick out a new questions to ask along with some familiar questions.......Good luck!

1} Three drivers have won "the Greatest Spectacle in Racing" four times in their respective careers.....who are they?

2} Five Formula 1 World Champions have, at one time or another, won the Indy 500 at some point in their careers..........who are they?

3} Who currently holds the record for most Indy 500 appearances?

4} What driver holds the record for the most Indy 500 laps led during their career without winning the 500?

5} Two drivers have won both the Indy 500 and the Grand Prix of Monaco......who are they?

6} Who currently holds the record for the fastest 1-lap and 4-lap qualifying efforts by a female driver during the month of May?

7} True or False--The Indianapolis 500 was, at one time, a part of the Formula 1 World Championship.

8} True or False--The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is the largest sports facility in the world.

9} What engine is credited with the most Indy 500 wins?

10} Five women have competed in the Indianapolis 500 at least once in their respective careers.......who are they?

Bonus Question........note.....this question does not concern the Indy 500; it is a general historical question about the history of the Speedway..........What is the highest finish by a female driver, regardless of series or event, at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway?

PM your answers to me prior to Memorial Day Sunday(i.e. the deadline is midnight 25 May 2008 US EDT) and we'll see who comes out on top.......Good luck and good answering!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :)
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Sat May 10, 2008 4:35 am

PM'd answers. A couple of guesses included. :lol:

RE30B#16
Racer
Racer

Re: Brickyard Trivia........

Post by RE30B#16 » Tue May 27, 2008 10:07 pm

Just PM'ed the answers. I know I'm a little late!!! :oops:
Christoforo

You're not getting old, the music just sucks!!

Fernando Alonso is currently the best... Period!!!

-)_ (-
(_!_) Inclined to get behind!!!

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:39 pm

Apologies for not having the answers up for Brickyard Trivia yet......I will have them on the forums sometime Wednesday.

:oops: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :oops:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:25 pm

Answers to Brickyard Trivia...................

1} Three drivers, A.J. Foyt, Jr.(1961, 1964, 167, 1977), "Big Al" Unser, Sr.(1970, 1971, 1978, 1987) and Rick Mears(1979, 1984, 1988, 1991) have won the Indianapolis 500 4 times in their respective careers.

2} Emerson Fittipaldi, Mario Andretti, Graham Hill, Jim Clark and Jacques Villeneuve have won both the Indianapolis 500 and the Formula 1 World Championship.

3} A.J. Foyt, Jr. currently holds the record for most Indy 500 starts with 35(1958-1992).

4} 431 laps led in 500 competition....and, yet, for all that, Michael Andretti never once found Victory Lane at Indy.

5} Graham Hill and Juan Pablo Montoya might not have much in common, but they do have this in common......they've won both the Indianapolis 500 and the Grand prix of Monaco.

6} Both of these records currently belong to Sarah Fisher, who set both the fastest 1-lap(229.675 mph) and 4-lap average(229.439 mph) in qualifying prior to the 2002 Indy 500.

7} True; from 1950 to 1960 "the Greatest Spectacle in Racing" was indeed a part of the Formula 1 World Championship.

8} True; with grandstand seating totaling 257,425(thank Indianapolis Star reporter Curt Cavin for the number; he counted every seat at the Brickyard back in 2004), the Speedway is the largest sports facility in the world by attendance.

9} With 27 wins in the 500, the venerable Offenhauser engine(a/k/a Offy) holds the mark for most wins by any engine make at Indy.

10} Janet Guthrie, Lyn St. James, Sarah Fisher, Danica Patrick and Milka Duno.

Bonus Question...............the highest finish by a female driver at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway belongs to Swiss driver Simona de Silvestro, who posted a third-place finish in both Formula BMW-USA races held during the 2006 U.S. Grand Prix weekend.