quick quiz

Test your Formula 1 knowledge

Moderators: Ed, jacfan, lemon_martini2

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:36 pm

jacfan wrote:Yes that would be good wouldn't it. It would if it was only out of 8 and you got 7 right. :maths: :bang: :bang:
Well put. Speaking of which, this year's 8nP will be quite exciting I think. There are so many unknowns it'll be tough to make a correct prediction. At least at the beginning of the season. Maybe I should try to come up with a top 8 list and stick with it throughout the calendar. See how I will fare. :?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:42 pm

You are right, I think the first 2 figures imply 'only' and I didn't cover those.

I thought there is a trick in the wording as well.

Using the same wordings you could have:

123 people participate in the contest. When the boxes are opened, it turns out that 43 people have guessed none of the fruits correctly, 80 people have guessed one fruit correctly, and 41 people have guessed two fruits correctly ....

then 10 people have guessed three fruits correctly and 10 people have guessed four fruits correctly.

Clear, confusing or just philosophical 8)

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:44 pm

gkaytaz wrote:
jacfan wrote:Yes that would be good wouldn't it. It would if it was only out of 8 and you got 7 right. :maths: :bang: :bang:
Well put. Speaking of which, this year's 8nP will be quite exciting I think. There are so many unknowns it'll be tough to make a correct prediction. At least at the beginning of the season. Maybe I should try to come up with a top 8 list and stick with it throughout the calendar. See how I will fare. :?
A member of the NewsOnF1 team who shall remain nameless tried that last year and ended up with a score below the average :wink:

However picking the popular pick from the previous race ......

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:47 pm

Ed wrote: Clear, confusing or just philosophical 8)
That'd be Julian 8)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:48 pm

Ed wrote:
gkaytaz wrote:
A member of the NewsOnF1 team who shall remain nameless tried that last year and ended up with a score below the average :wink:

Thanks for the fair warning :) Hmm, now to find a good random number generator...

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:55 pm

You'll find a lot of advice on that here. Just ask :wink:

Your random number generator would have to have some sort of bias towards the lower numbers but then it won't be random.

Maybe bias coupled randomness :shock:

Something like picking numbers from a hat but you place 3 copies of 1 to 6, 2 copies of 7 to 15 and 1 copy of 16 to 22 :wink: Maybe no copies for 16 to 22 :lol:

But then you can't have a driver more than once .....

I think I should go an have a drink.

That quiz ....

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:02 pm

Ed wrote:You'll find a lot of advice on that here. Just ask :wink:

Your random number generator would have to have some sort of bias towards the lower numbers but then it won't be random.

Maybe bias coupled randomness :shock:

Something like picking numbers from a hat but you place 3 copies of 1 to 6, 2 copies of 7 to 15 and 1 copy of 16 to 22 :wink: Maybe no copies for 16 to 22 :lol:

But then you can't have a driver more than once .....

I think I should go an have a drink.

That quiz ....
I won't aspire to even start entertaining the thought of attempting to analyze what you just said. :)

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by <T-K> » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:12 am

Ed wrote:
gkaytaz wrote:

I tried that approach in the latter part of the season, as I didnt have too much success in the first half :lol: needless to say I slipped further :lol:

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:40 am

<T-K> wrote:
Ed wrote:
gkaytaz wrote:

I tried that approach in the latter part of the season, as I didnt have too much success in the first half :lol: needless to say I slipped further :lol:
Actually that would have worked fairly okay if you had a pick like the following:
1. Schumi
2. Alonso
3. Raikkonen
4. Button
5. Fisichella
6. Massa
7. Heidfeld
8. Barrichello

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:42 am

Ed wrote: However picking the popular pick from the previous race ......
Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers;
A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked;
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers,
Where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:41 pm

Apparently, one side of a cat has more hair. The findings of the Swedish scientific establishment have been corroborated by a special enquiry by the BB Feline Federation. Many hair counts were taken of the side in question and consistently it was found to contain more hairs. The scientists determined that more hair was required on this side to insulate the cat from the elements while it was lying down. Perhaps you would like to examine a cat to confirm the findings. Before you do, can you guess which side of a cat has more hair?
Holy crap on a cracker! Image
Number one idiot for 2007!!!!!
2008 Round of France winner!!! Wooooooohoooo!!!!!!
2010 Round of Britian winner!!!!!!

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by <T-K> » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:34 pm

jacfan wrote:Apparently, one side of a cat has more hair. The findings of the Swedish scientific establishment have been corroborated by a special enquiry by the BB Feline Federation. Many hair counts were taken of the side in question and consistently it was found to contain more hairs. The scientists determined that more hair was required on this side to insulate the cat from the elements while it was lying down. Perhaps you would like to examine a cat to confirm the findings. Before you do, can you guess which side of a cat has more hair?

The outside :lol:

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:41 pm

Very good T-K :clap: I actually got Jeremy with this one... he went to take the cat before it clicked. :ROTFLMAO:

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by <T-K> » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:48 pm

jacfan wrote:Very good T-K :clap: I actually got Jeremy with this one... he went to take the cat before it clicked. :ROTFLMAO:

:shock: Wow, I didnt think it was correct, It was justthe firstthing thatcame to mind :lol:

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:06 pm

And it was correct... shouldn't under estimate yourself.