The 2006 World Cup

Want to relax, share an experience or just have a friendly discussion. This is the place

Moderators: cmlean, Ed

Which team will win the World Cup

Poll ended at Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:34 am

Brazil
46%
Czech Republic
No votes
Netherlands
No votes
Mexico
No votes
USA
8%
Spain
8%
Portugal
No votes
France
No votes
Argentina
No votes
England
15%
Italy
8%
Sweden
No votes
Japan
No votes
Germany
8%
None of the above
8%

Total votes: 13

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by <T-K> » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:53 pm

Ukraine off to a slow start.........spain lead by 2 goals to nil, although it couldve been 1-0 had it not been for the deflection off the defender which sent the goalkeeper diving the wrong way whilst desperately swinging his arms to attempt a save......

Time for the comeback :D

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:05 am

Southernman wrote:I thought Brazil had a poor opening game to this world cup. :shock: Croatia would be happy to lose by just the 1 goal. This result could hurt Australia in the long run if the next round games go as I expect. I predict Brazil to beat Australia by three goals and Croatia to beat Japan by a couple of goals. This would mean that Australia must beat Croatia in the final round.
The perfomance of Brazil was below average but I suspect they are just warming up!
Ronaldo barely moved!
Croatia are going to be hard to beat!

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:08 am

Looks like things are not going Ukraine's way. A penalty was awarded to Spain and a Ukraine player sent off. It didn't look like the foul was committed inside the penalty area!

Interesting that Spain have Alonso and Senna in their lineup!!

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by <T-K> » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:51 am

Ed wrote:Looks like things are not going Ukraine's way. A penalty was awarded to Spain and a Ukraine player sent off. It didn't look like the foul was committed inside the penalty area!
I agree.....no foul was commited, it looked as though the spanish player stood on the Ukraine player, and then fell, and the ref apparently saw it the other way round!!! :evil:

There were also a heck of a lot of suspicious off side decisions given aginst Ukraine......

They can still get through though...all hope is not yet lost!

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:19 pm

I thought that Spain outplayed Ukraine. The situation wasn't helped by the shocking decision by the ref to send of a Ukraine plyer at the start of the second half. It seems that it's the luck as to what refs do in shirt pulling cases. A penalty outside the box and a yellow card was the most that the Ukraine player deserved. I still think that Ukaine will get into the second round as Saudi Arabia and Tunisia are both very beatable.

Tunisia and Saudi Arabia had a 2-2 draw which is a true reflection of their abilities. I can't see either side making the second round.

Germany had to rely on a second half injury time goal to beat Poland. I thought that germany played the better of the two sides but their finishing let them down. I admired the way they stuck to their game plan to the end.

In the next matches England should beat T&T by a good margin. I also predict Paraguay to beat Sweden by a goal. I don't know who to pick between Costa Rica and Ecuador.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:25 pm

Spain did indeed play well and they look like going a long way. How far though remains to be seen as Spain haven't done too well in the World Cup in the past.

Tunisia & Saudi Arabia had a very poor 1st half but the second half was a lot better. Still both will be under enormous pressure from Spain and Ukraine.

Germany deserved to win but they need to do a lot more if they want to win the World Cup!

England should beat Trinidad as long as they play better than how they played their first game. Paraguay will be desparate for a win but Sweden will not be easy. I expect Sweden to win.

Ecuador should beat Costa Rica

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:33 am

With Ecuador beating Costa Rica 3 - 0, both Ecuador and Germany are through to the round of 16. Costa Rica and Poland are out.
The game between Ecuador and Germany will determine the winner of the group.
Ecuador were impressive!

England vs Trinidad shortly, should be interesting!

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:22 pm

Sweden beat Paraguay 1 - 0. Paraguay are out of the world cup, Sweden will need a good result against England to guarantee going through to the second round. England needs a draw to top the group.
Trinidad and Tobago need to beat Paraguay and for England to beat Sweden if they are to make it to the second round!

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:09 pm

Ecuador looked good in their win over Costa Rica. I want Germany beat Ecuador in the last pool match to finish top of group A.

T&T were unlucky not to lead England in their match. A brilliant save from defender Terry in front of goal saved England. england looked the better side but failed to convert the chances they had. I don't rate Crouch up front for England despite the fact that he did score the first goal. I was hoping that T&T could hold on for the draw at the end of the match. The comments from the English tabloids would have been brilliant. :D
I have underestimated T&T. :oops:

All that Ive seen of the Sweden- Paraguay game is the goal scored on the news.

Kapel
2004 Champ
2004 Champ

Post by Kapel » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:00 pm

I would have had a Raan of Crouch if he wouldnt have scored a goal.He was spoon feeded by Beckham on 3 occassions,one of which was a sitter & he messed it royally.

Hope to see England & Germany to top their group to avoid meet in the last 16 :wink:

Looking forward to Hollands match tonite against I coast..could be an interesting game
An F1 Idiot!!!

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:30 am

Argentina would have to be one of the favourites for the World Cup. They completely destroyed Serbia and Montenegro 6 - Nil in their 2nd group match. Serbia and Montengro only allowed 1 goal during their entire qualifying games for the World Cup yet they get beaten 6 - Nil today!
This Argentinian team is worth watching!

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:49 am

I agree that Argentina are a side worth watching. :D Not only was the scoreline impressive it was the attractive style they played. I still have my doubts as to whether they can go all the way.

A draw would've been a true scoreline reflection in the game between Netherlands and Ivory Coast. Netherlands didn't deserve to win it. Also I don't like the way Netherlands play the game. :x

All I can say about the 0-0 draw between Mexico and Angola is good defence from Angola.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:03 pm

After seeing the red-white-n'blue(a/k/a the U.S team) get shellacked by the Czechs 3-0, all I can say about their chances is......please beat Italy, please beat Italy.....please beat Italy...... :shock: :shock:
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:06 am

Ghana have beaten Czech Republic 2-0 in what I regard as the upset result of the world cup so far. :D Ghana deserved to win. :clap: :clap:

It's amazing how a side like the Czechs could go from heros in match to zeros in the second game. This result means all four teams in gruop E could make it into the second round no matter what the result of the Italy USA game latter today. If Italy win they into the second round, the rest of the teams will have their fate decided in the last pool games.

Earlier today Portugal beat Iran 2-0 to advance into the second round.

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:14 am

A nine man USA team had a draw against a ten man Italy in a strange match. :? The Italians looked to be full of nerves and the US seemed to play like their lives depended on winning this match. If the niggles that occured at the start of this match happened in rugby union the ref would of called the captain aside and told to calm his players down.

Italy scored the first goal and conceded a strange own goal. Just after that the Italians were down to ten men after a elbow got put into as US players face. :furious: Automatic red card was deserved. That happened halfway through the first half. Near the end of the first half a US player got an automatic for a dangerous tackle on an Italian player. Just after half time A US player got sent of after getting a second yellow card.

The Uraguay ref didn't have the best of games. :(

The final standings in this group could be decided by what players are available for the last group matches. :!: