The 2006 British Formula 1 GP (Alonso wins)

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

Driver of the day

Fernando Alonso
50%
Michael Schumacher
19%
Kimi Raikkonen
6%
Giancarlo Fisichella
No votes
Felipe Massa
No votes
Juan Pablo Montoya
6%
Nick Heidfeld
13%
Jacques Villeneuve
6%

Total votes: 16

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:16 am

Selected Driver and Team Quotes

Drivers

Fernando Alonso - Winner
This is a very special win ? in fact, it has been three special wins in a row for me. After Spain and then Monaco, this is another of the classic races that you want to win. Great Britain is the home of motorsport, I live in Oxford myself only half an hour from this track, and of course we have a big part of our team based nearby in Enstone. It is really something wonderful to win for them, at home. The race was really competitive, and tough. We had a set-up on the car that meant it was quite understeery in the first part of the stint, but just got better and better and I could build a lead as the fuel loads came down ? although I had a little bit of graining in the second stint that slowed my pace. It was windy out there too, like all weekend, so that made things a little bit unpredictable, and we are not used to this heat in Silverstone. So it was never an easy win, but this shows we are working really hard. There's no secret to this fantastic season. We attack every race as a new challenge, we are concentrating all the time and there are no mistakes from the team. The best form of defence is attack ? and we showed that today.
Michael Schumacher - 2nd
Second place was the best we could today, given our grid position. Although there were no real problems with the car this weekend, we were simply not quick enough to win. We must work very hard now to come back right from the next race. But all in all, we should still be pleased with these eight points. There are still ten races to go with a hundred points to play for. Even though I am twenty three points behind Alonso, I don?t think the fight for the championship is over. For much of the race I was behind Kimi even though I had more potential, which is why I feel this result is not so bad. The next two races take place on completely different types of track. It will be interesting to see who has the upper hand on these circuits. We have to try and get back on top.
Kimi Raikkonen - 3rd
I made a good start off the line and was able to maintain my second place. However I was not fast enough on the straights to pass Alonso. After the Safety Car came back in I could close the gap a bit, but that was it really. I suffered from oversteer towards the end of the race which allowed Fisichella to close up. However I wasn't too worried as I knew it would be almost impossible for him to actually overtake. We were not as quick as Alonso and Schumacher and third place was the maximum possible, but I think the good news is that this weekend has shown we are moving in the right direction and are getting more and more competitive.
Giancarlo Fisichella - 4th
It was a good race for me, I had a competitive and consistent pace and I was quicker than the cars around me; there was graining in the second stint, like for Fernando, but it cleared up on the final set of tyres and I was able to really push. In the final laps, I was much faster Raikkonen in the first sector, but he was a little bit quicker in the second and third parts because they were running more downforce than us ? and as I got near him, I lost grip because of the turbulence and couldn't get close enough to overtake. This was another great result for the team though ? just like in Monaco and Barcelona, we scored the most points of anybody today and got both cars to the finish. Canada is next, one of my favourite circuits, and this Renault team is really on a roll at the moment.
Felipe Massa - 5th
Not exactly a great day for us. We were hoping to be more competitive, but Renault showed itself to be very strong. I lost a place to Giancarlo in the way the pit stops played out. I don?t think I could have done better than this fifth place, which is reasonable. I did not have any particular problems during the race, even though I had no more sets of new tyres, having used all of them in free practice and qualifying. There are important developments on the way for the car and I hope they will allow us to raise our game.
Juan Pablo Montoya - 6th
A big shame that Villeneuve lost control and hit the side of my car as we were coming into the first corner at the start, as our car and strategy would have seen us have a much stronger race. The impact created a big hole in the sidepod and consequently I struggled a bit with the balance throughout the race. Apart from that the race was relatively quiet as there was not much I could do. I was able to conserve my engine which is positive coming into Canada where we aim to continue our progress.
Nick Heidfeld - 7th
I had a very good start when I passed two cars off the grid and a third into the first corner. Naturally it is great that both cars finished in the points on their own merits. We have obviously made a step forward. I was able to keep in front of Montoya as I stayed out longer than he did. It was only at the beginning that he was faster than me because I was fighting understeer. Then the balance of my car was improved. Unfortunately at the first pit stop first gear didn?t work and that cost me time and a position.
Jacques Villeneuve - 8th
Nico Rosberg got me because at the start into turn one Juan Pablo Montoya and myself crashed in what was a racing incident. I was on the inside and he was following another car on the outside. He came across the track, took his line but couldn?t see I was there. I locked my wheels and ran into him, but luckily there was no damage. I was stuck behind Nico for three quarters of the race, which was a shame but he wasn?t making any mistakes. It was a good fight, but when I saw him come into the pits three laps before me for the last pit stop I really took some big risks on those laps on old tyres. To get two cars in the points today, not because people didn?t finish the race, but because we raced strongly is good for Montreal. People told me married men go slower, but I think it is the opposite!
Jenson Button - Retired
The race was going well for me and the car felt pretty good. We weren't as quick as the leaders but the car was working well and had a good balance. I was absolutely loving it out there, working my way through the field, and given our fuel load I was doing pretty well. Then I saw the flames out of the back of the car and went off due to oil on the tyres, so it is looking like an engine oil leak unfortunately. A disappointing end to the weekend really, especially in front of my home crowd. It's frustrating that I couldn't give them the race they deserved today. When I walked back in it was quite emotional as there were lots of cheers and flags being waved. The fans' support this weekend has been fantastic. As for the next race, the important thing is to get the best out of what we have which we weren't able to do here this weekend.
Ralf Schumacher - Retired
Unfortunately that was just one of those things that happen in racing. It all began with my very bad start. I lost too many positions and found myself in traffic. That's how these things can kick off because in a mess like that no one really has any space. I had cars all around me so it was really difficult to see exactly what happened but I was hit from behind. That sent me into a spin, which meant that I couldn't help veering into Mark's path. It was a racing incident and no one is to blame because no one does anything like that on purpose. But it's the second time in a row that we have struggled off the line so we should now work hard on improving that.
Mark Webber - Retired
?I had a pretty good start and made up a few places off the line. It looked like Scott Speed clipped Ralf on the right rear going into Becketts which caused the Toyota to spin and end up in my path.
Ralf was obviously trying to save his car, which is fair enough, but he came directly back across the track when I was on the inside trying to get a clean run out, so I had nowhere to go. We?ve had a tough weekend so it?s a shame we couldn?t get something out of it. We have a lot of work to do now and we have to keep pressing on and get ready for Montreal.
Teams

Renault - Pat Symonds
This was a great end to what has been a wonderful weekend at Silverstone ? Fernando's hat trick of pole, win and fastest lap showed a world champion at the top of his game. I am sure we had some doubters yesterday afternoon when we took pole position, but we showed today that we had done it on longer strategies, that played out well for us. Fisi put in another great drive as well, and had a good battle with Kimi at the end. The car seemed perfect in the hot conditions on a demanding circuit, and Michelin came up with the goods to provide consistent, competitive tyres. Three in a row is a great feeling; we will be working hard in the coming weeks to develop the car even further, and try to break our Canada jinx next time out in Montreal.
Ferrari - Jean Todt
It was a hard fought race, as indeed we had expected. Strategy played a decisive role: in a positive way for Michael, who managed to gain a place compared to his starting position on the grid and in a negative way for Felipe, who lost one. We are up against very strong opponents, but obviously when you are going for the win, coming second is reason enough to be disappointed. However, it also acts as a further stimulus to try and close the gap that separates us in terms of overall performance. That would allow us to qualify at the front and then be able to run an attacking race. There are still ten races to go to the end of the season. We will fight as hard as we can to reach our objectives, along with our partners, especially Bridgestone.
McLaren - Ron Dennis
As we have shown both in Monaco and here at Silverstone we have closed some of the gap to our principal competitor Renault and our efforts to win will continue at the Paul Ricard test this coming week. Kimi and Juan Pablo's post race comments summarise our weekend well, and the entire team is looking forward to the next race in Canada.
BMW Sauber - Mario Theissen
We are very happy because it was a completely trouble free weekend for us. This is the first time since Australia both drivers have scored points and the fourth consecutive race we have been in the points. Nick made an excellent start which catapulted him by three drivers. Unfortunately there was a problem during his first pit stop which cost him a place. Jacques? pit crew did an excellent job at his second stop, which gained him a position. Now we are travelling with a lot of confidence to North America and are full of motivation for the remainder of the season.
Williams - Sam Michael
It was disappointing not to get any points out of the race today. Nico finished in p9 by moving through the field. He was battling pretty hard with Villeneuve and was up on him for most of the race, but unfortunately some traffic and a slower stop on Nico?s second refuel lost him the place.
On Mark?s car it was unfortunate to get caught up in someone else?s accident at the start which ended his race early. We obviously have some work to do on high speed tracks in terms of pace, but reliability was good and we had no problems.
Honda - Gil de Ferran
Overall this was a difficult day for the whole team. Jenson had a very strong start to his race, making up several places until his eventual retirement early in the race with an oil leak. Rubens also had a hard afternoon, struggling with the car balance throughout the race. Clearly not the result we were hoping for and we have some homework to do.
Toyota - Tsutomu Tomit
On Friday the team atmosphere was very good due to the performance of the car and the tyres here. But things started to go wrong with Jarno's engine failure in qualifying and when Ralf was hit on the opening lap today it meant both of our cars were effectively out of contention. We had been working hard on our starts in the last few days so it was a surprise that Ralf's car was so slow to get away and we will definitely have to investigate what happened. It was a pity because considering the strategy we had he was clearly heavier than the cars in front of him so he was very competitive in qualifying. We knew we had to be aggressive with Jarno and everything worked as expected. He had a very good start and first lap and our strategy was to pit him early to take advantage of the good lap times we were expecting on new tyres. At the first stop it worked fine and took him past Coulthard. We tried the same thing at the second stop with Barrichello and it would have worked until he hit traffic. Jarno was happy with his car, he pushed hard and it was almost impossible for him to have done any better. His lap times were very encouraging, particularly in the second stint. So the pace of our cars is getting closer to the top teams. Now we just need to keep pushing our development and reliability in order to catch up with them.
Red Bull - Christian Horner
It was a long afternoon in a race with little attrition. The top three teams dominated the top six places and BMW did a good job to take the last few points. We obviously need to find some more pace and we'll be working on that at the next few tests. David was very consistent during the race and Christian needed to find about another second to clear Tonio in his middle stint, which unfortunately he just missed.
Toro Rosso - Gerhard Berger
Tonio drove a good race. At the risk of repeating myself, this is about the best we can expect at the moment. It took too long to fix Scott's car so it seemed pointless to send him out again. Of course there are some areas where we can improve, but we had a good pit-stop and it was the right decision to switch Tonio from a two to a one stop strategy. It worked reasonably well, as we got ahead of Klien.
MF1 Racing - James Key
It was good to get both cars to the finish. Both drivers drove a very solid race with no problems. Christijan did a good job to recover from all the bad luck he encountered yesterday, although we did have a little bit of an issue with one of his pit stops. It was good to see us posting some competitive lap times and we were actually gaining on the people ahead of us at the end of the race - we were only 13 seconds behind the nearest Red Bull at the finish. So we were on the same lap as our competitors and lapping as quick, if not quicker, than they were toward the end of the race. If we can improve our starts - because that let us down a little bit - then we can race them competitively. We actually had a race on our hands today; we weren't alone, and that was good.
Super Aguri - Aguri Suzuki
I am glad that both SA05 cars crossed the line at the chequered flag today. It is our first two-car finish since the Australian Grand Prix. The performance of our cars is low, so we have to concentrate on finishing the races until we introduce our new car during the next European rounds. I want to thank the whole SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM for working so hard this weekend. As our team is based in the UK it is great to have both cars finish at the British Grand Prix, so I am happy with this result.

RE30B#16
Racer
Racer

Post by RE30B#16 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:53 am

Terrific race by the World Champion today! :1st: :up:

I'm very disappointed Michael Schumacher was able to pass Kimi Raikkonen with the 2nd pitstop. I have never been a big fan of Michael Schumacher's, but now I find him nauseating. Why such a talented person has to resort to the things he has been involved in, is beyond me. He is very talented and very successful, but I will never count him as the "greatest." He wouldn't last fifteen minutes in a race with Gilles Villeneuve!! :bs:

Good job everyone else especially Nick Heidfeld and Jacques Villneuve!

Too bad for Jenson Button again. Maybe Coulthard is right. Maybe he should move to another team. But what team? He has to stay put and make it happen with Honda. That is his best option at this point. Barrichello is doing much better in the races, just like I predicted. Sorry, JB fans. I really hope Benzo gets it together. I love his driving style. He may be too laidback for F1 though. :bang: :wave:

Ralf Schumacher has much more class than his older brother, BTW!

Oh, and a big thumbs up for Jarno Trulli almost making the points from last place on the grid. Find your way back, JT!! :up:

:cheers:
Christoforo

You're not getting old, the music just sucks!!

Fernando Alonso is currently the best... Period!!!

-)_ (-
(_!_) Inclined to get behind!!!

Andre_Brasil
2004 Winner
2004 Winner

Booooooooooring

Post by Andre_Brasil » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:37 pm

Instead of choosing just one tires provider maybe they should put rails on the track... it would be the same.

The blue train of Alonso...

There is not much to say. Overtaking during pit stops is not very exciting in my opinion. I watch the race looking at the lap times on my laptop. I?m surprised that I actually pay more attention to the F1 site than to the TV screen!!!

Talking abot the Brazilians: :o I was pleasantly surprised by Barrichello?s starting position. I thought he was on a 3-stopper, and maybe he should be as the Hondas destroy the rear tires so fast. He could have started from 4th and tried to be 1s faster each lap. He could have arrived 40s faster...

Honda is the major disapointment of 2006!

Massa is not taking the best of the package... like Fisio to Alonso. :cry:

I woke up at 7:30am on a Sunday and I regret it. Next time I will watch the replay (and I will know the result before hand, without looking at the news).

The blue train of Alonso will run again... 8) 8) 8)

Ooooooops, maybe the canadian walls can add some thrill!!! :lol:
Andre Bertrand
aabc01
Brasil

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:25 pm

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

:1st: :1st: :1st: :1st: :1st:

5 wins and 3 in a row and pole and fastest lap.

You were getting away from them even with a heavier fuel load setting fastest lap after fastest lap. :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Go The Cute, dominate even more, show those who resort to dirty tactics, push others off track, get favoured team orders, priority on parts and spare cars how its done.
You win with class, you are fair and you don't get special treatement. You win on merit.

Dominate for the next 10 years and I won't be bored.
May the force be with you :D

Congratulations to Jacques for another points finish. That was a good wedding present!
The BMW is starting to make good progress!!

Hard luck Webber and Button :(
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:54 pm

Alonso drove a good race in a great car. Kimi drove a great race in a good car. Forget the rest> As a spectacle, or a source of entertainment,after lap3 bah. :cry:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Andre_Brasil
2004 Winner
2004 Winner

Post by Andre_Brasil » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:14 am

The lack of comments is meaningful... :roll:
Andre Bertrand
aabc01
Brasil

cmlean

Post by cmlean » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:21 am

I agree with Julian. Aside from Michael and Kimi fighting over postition after the pace car, the race was just a procession.

The turn 5 apex information on how much faster Alonso was than everyone else was disturbing. 192 km/h v 177 km/h. No wonder the Renault is so dominant.

RE30B#16
Racer
Racer

Post by RE30B#16 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:37 pm

cmlean wrote:I agree with Julian. Aside from Michael and Kimi fighting over postition after the pace car, the race was just a procession.

The turn 5 apex information on how much faster Alonso was than everyone else was disturbing. 192 km/h v 177 km/h. No wonder the Renault is so dominant.
Sometimes Alonso is doing it on 2 race old engines!!

The last 4 years prior to 2005 were a processional led by Michael Schumacher! I'm glad it is someone else now. Alonso is beating everyone into the ground, and it is not siply because he has some sort of advantage other than his natural gift. Just look at Fisico. He is a competent driver who has won races, but Alonso is blowig his doors off along with Michael Schmacher and the rest. Say what you like about Raikkonen or Jenso Buttons, Alonso is getting it done, and that is a fact.

Also, he makes passes on the track. What a concept!!
Christoforo

You're not getting old, the music just sucks!!

Fernando Alonso is currently the best... Period!!!

-)_ (-
(_!_) Inclined to get behind!!!

coronado
2006 8 'n' Pole Round Winner
2006 8 'n' Pole Round Winner

Post by coronado » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:53 pm

Julian Mayo wrote:Alonso drove a good race in a great car. Kimi drove a great race in a good car. Forget the rest> As a spectacle, or a source of entertainment,after lap3 bah. :cry:
Why Alonso's drive was good and Kimi's one was great?

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:05 pm

coronado wrote:
Julian Mayo wrote:Alonso drove a good race in a great car. Kimi drove a great race in a good car. Forget the rest> As a spectacle, or a source of entertainment,after lap3 bah. :cry:
Why Alonso's drive was good and Kimi's one was great?
Alonso has a great car. Kimi only has a good car. If they had swapped cars Kimi would have won as easily as Alonso did.....he would have driven a good race, and Alonso would have driven a great race.

GhoGho
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by GhoGho » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:16 pm

cmlean wrote:I agree with Julian. Aside from Michael and Kimi fighting over postition after the pace car, the race was just a procession.

Agreed, info like that clearly shows how much better the Renault is than the rest.
At this level, that sort of difference cannot be attributed entirely to the driver!

As for the commenators.................................what can i say, ignorance is bliss.
We as spectators now have to believe that the "G" forces in an F1 car running down the straight "suck the driver down into the cockpit" :!:
What a load of Bollocks :!:
I'm in shape

Round is a shape...........

cmlean

Post by cmlean » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:54 pm

I thought that by sucking the driver harder into the cockpit, the transfer of energy would then force the car harder onto the track.

Yeh......right. :lol:

GhoGho
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by GhoGho » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:58 pm

cmlean wrote:I thought that by sucking the driver harder into the cockpit, the transfer of energy would then force the car harder onto the track.

Yeh......right. :lol:
Yep, if i understood correctly the G's force the driver down into the cockpit, something to do with the Aerodynamics!
No mention of lateral G's. I wonder what happened to them?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm in shape

Round is a shape...........

cmlean

Post by cmlean » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:02 pm

You wouldn't be infering that there would be lateral 'G's in a race car. What a novel concept.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:06 pm

cmlean wrote:You wouldn't be infering that there would be lateral 'G's in a race car. What a novel concept.
Is that like when my passenger goes hurtling out the door of "Therapy" on sweeping right handers ? :shock: