Best & Worst of 2005

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

Tim
Site Admin
Site Admin

Best & Worst of 2005

Post by Tim » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:44 pm

This is your chance to vote for the Best and Worst in 2005. This year we are using the forum to display the results and for you to comment on your vote. This is a new enhancement to the forum and while it displays each users vote it doesn't give us the percentages (which we will update manually here).

Note: You have to be a member of this forum to vote. To register click here

If you experience any issues with voting, please let us know and we'll attempt to fix straight away.

Thank you

alonsofan
F3 Tester
F3 Tester

Post by alonsofan » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:52 pm

this was the best season i watched, alonso stole the show, renault had an excellent car, san marino was best race because we saw alonso take over from michael

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:57 am

Certainly the best season for me in a long long time. Actually since 97 :D

It was very easy to pick the driver and team of the year, Alonso and Renault won the titles because of a very reliable and consistent car and a superbly fast and thinking driver.
Most improved driver was easy too as Alonso clearly made the step up
The others weren't so easy!
Most dissapointing was a toss up between Barrichello, Fisichella and Button. They all performed below expectations but I chose Barrichello because compared to Michael he struggled much more. Fisichella was close and Button I thought it was more the problems with the illegal car.

Most improved team was between Renault and Red Bull. I am still amazed at how Red Bull managed so much more points this year despite all the dramas of last year. They must have something magical.
I still went for Renault because winning the title with only the 5th or even 6th biggest budget is special!

Most dissapointing team was a toss up between BAR, Williams and Ferrari and I thought for BAR to go from 2nd to 6th was most dissapointing. Williams are starting to sound like a broken record. At the start of each year they tell us they are targetting the title then by the first race they tell us they are starting a bit behind. Ferrari, well there is an end to everything :D

Qualifier of the year has to be Alonso with 6 poles! Raikkonen was impressive too!

Rookie of the year, honestly none of them impressed this year. Karthikeyan looked good early in the season but he faded. I chose Monteiro just because he was consistent but he isn't anything special.

Best Race, well Japan and San Marino were the best but Alonso smartly holding off Michael will be remembered for a long time. Just as I remember Senna holding off Mansell in Monaco a few years ago :D

I expect to see a few surprises in 2006 but the 2 young guns will handle the changes better than the older guys (and maybe just maybe Massa could do well :shock: )
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

Graham Ross
Racer
Racer

Post by Graham Ross » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:47 pm

Even though I didn't expect Montoya to beat Kimi this year I was dissapointed with Montoya's early season performance but he recovered in the second half of the season.
Alonso gets driver of the year from me, he kept his cool and even won in China against the odds!
Trulli gets most improved driver, his performance this year compared to last is most impressive. Coulthard is up there as well
Montoya was dissapointing but Fisichella was the most dissapointing. I don't remember a race this season where he was even close to Alonso. This guy was supposed to be championship material!!
Toyota were the most improved team although Renault and McLaren are up there as well.
BAR were most dissapointing and Williams weren't that far behind
Raikkonen has got to be the best qualifier this season.

I hope next year Montoya gets a good start and stays away from backmarkers!

lordrods
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by lordrods » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:03 am

This was the best season.. since.. i dont ever remember... it was a shame that mclaren had so much issues.. raikkonnen could have done better if it wasnt for that.. but ok.. alonso proved to be a worthy champion! sato was a dissapointment.. but so was montoya, barrichello and 1 or 2 other drivers.. i cant understand how anyone claims albers to be rookie of the year.. less points than monteiro, less race finishes, and he didnt qualify as good as monteiro most of the times.. and.. monteiro did really good races.. such as belgium gp and japan.. in USA.. monteiro was the best after the ferraris! GO MONTEIRO! very decent season from david coulthard.. lots of well earned points.. here and there.. and.. what a shame for jenson button.. one of the fastest ever.. and one of the best right now.. some problems he had.. and the ban for a couple of races.. put away what could have been a great season for him.. next year he ll fight for champ!!! GO DAVID! GO BUTTON! overall? WHAT A GREAT SEASON! lets hope for another like this next year!

brian
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by brian » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:32 pm

I must say that the 2005 racing was great, but I dont think we have to look to far back to find a better year, 2003 was great as was 1999 and 2000.
None of the rookies impressed at all.
Alonso was brilliant, but just the same if Mclaren were finishing as many races you would have to split hair with him and Raikkonnen.

Regards Brian

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:43 pm

the most honest statement I have heard from a driver came from Mark Webber.." sure I made mistakes... and plenty of them.........because I had the car on the limit all the time.......and obviously over it sometimes....... I will not bomb around in 6th or 7th place........I race :clap:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:14 am

It's a pity so few people have taken part in this survey. :?

There is one improvement that I would like and thats a scroll bar on the left hand side.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:16 am

Southernman wrote:It's a pity so few people have taken part in this survey. :?

There is one improvement that I would like and thats a scroll bar on the left hand side.
so you can hold your "tun" of beer in your right hand ? :D

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:24 am

Busted. :D

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:57 am

Southernman wrote:Busted. :D
I saw a bunch of people at Hidden Valley, Darwin, with backpacks holding a 40oz can of beer, with a large diameter straw curling around to their mouths.
Hands free drinking :lol:

RE30B#16
Racer
Racer

Post by RE30B#16 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:56 am

Graham Ross wrote:...Montoya was dissapointing but Fisichella was the most dissapointing. I don't remember a race this season where he was even close to Alonso. This guy was supposed to be championship material!!
Graham makes a point well taken. I didn't think Fisichella was the "most" disappointing because he showed up on the podium numorous times during a season he started with a win. However, I was disappointed that he seemed to get lost in the team as the year went on. At this point, he should be more deliberate about why he races F1. Once Alonso realized the Renault was a winning car, he was gone. Quite frankly, for those of you who worship Raikkonen, Fernando left Kimi, Michael and everyone else in the dust!

Having said all that, Villeneuve was the most disappointing because he drove no better than the inconsistent rookie Felippe Massa. Given the same equipment, I think Klien, Albers, and the Jordan/Midland twins would have done a better job.

Chris
Christoforo

You're not getting old, the music just sucks!!

Fernando Alonso is currently the best... Period!!!

-)_ (-
(_!_) Inclined to get behind!!!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:40 am

RE30B#16 wrote:
Graham Ross wrote:...Montoya was dissapointing but Fisichella was the most dissapointing. I don't remember a race this season where he was even close to Alonso. This guy was supposed to be championship material!!
Graham makes a point well taken. I didn't think Fisichella was the "most" disappointing because he showed up on the podium numorous times during a season he started with a win. However, I was disappointed that he seemed to get lost in the team as the year went on. At this point, he should be more deliberate about why he races F1. Once Alonso realized the Renault was a winning car, he was gone. Quite frankly, for those of you who worship Raikkonen, Fernando left Kimi, Michael and everyone else in the dust!

Having said all that, Villeneuve was the most disappointing because he drove no better than the inconsistent rookie Felippe Massa. Given the same equipment, I think Klien, Albers, and the Jordan/Midland twins would have done a better job.

Chris
briatore has made the point that the primary set up of the cars totally favoured Alonso's style, which meant that there was only so much fine tuning they could do to bring Fisi's car back to where he wanted it. That is why Briatore commended Fisi for being a team player. He states that Fisi will have a car more suited to his particular style this coming season :)

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:13 am

The World Champ will be untouchable next year :mrgreen:

And Villeneuve in the BMW will surprise :D
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:54 am

:lol: I thought my last comment might flush you out of hiding :lol: