Round of Australia 2011 - Picks and comments

The Best F1 Guessing Game! Have a question or just want to share with us your picks

Moderators: cmlean, 10 n Pole Admin

10 n Pole Admin

Round of Australia 2011 - Picks and comments

Post by 10 n Pole Admin » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:27 am

10 'n' Pole players, post your picks for the first race of the season in Australia.

You can submit your picks at http://www.newsonf1.com/10npole/submit.htm then paste your picks here and tell us why you think your picks will be the correct ones.

You can now get a live view of who 10 'n' Pole players are picking. Just click on the link on the submit page

For the latest Formula 1 news, visit the Formula 1 News page.

The deadline for submitting the picks is midnight local time of Friday practice.

Good luck

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:27 pm

*Looks around, thinks, "I'm first to post........."............*

Anyway, here are my picks for the Australian Grand Prix................
1st} Sebastian Vettel(begins his WDC defense w/a win Down Under..... :1st: )
2nd} Felipe Massa(came oh-so-close but wants to show the Scuderia he won't go gently into that No.2 slot...... :shock: 8) )
3rd} Jenson Button(takes the last step of the podium away from a couple of fellow WDC's....... :burnout: )
4th} Lewis Hamilton(okay, Jenson....you won this round......... :shock: )
5th} Fernando Alonso( :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: )
6th} Mark Webber(thinks to himself, :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: )
7th} Nick Heidfeld(not a bad way to start the year........)
8th} Michael Schumacher(for once, I finally beat.......who's my teammate again?)
9th} Nico Rosberg( :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: )
10th} Sebastien Buemi(this round's answer to the 2011 Formula 1 question, "Who will take the last point for this round?".....)

And for pole position.......................Sebastian Vettel. 8)
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

Thaddeus
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by Thaddeus » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:03 pm

Here are my picks:

Winner: Fernando Alonso

Second: Sebastian Vettel

Third: Felipe Massa

Fourth: Mark Webber

Fifth: Michael Schumacher

Sixth: Lewis Hamilton

Seventh: Jenson Button

Eighth: Nick Heidfeld

Ninth: Nico Rosberg

Tenth: Rubens Barrichello

Pole: Sebastian Vettel

Shooting in the dark, at this stage.

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:58 pm

Well the start of another year. I have not been watching what has been happening in practice or anything so out of the box here are my tips.

Winner : Mark Webber ~ A winner at home!!!

Second : Sebastian Vettel ~ still hanging around to annoy his team mate

Third : Fernando Alonso ~ Hoping Ferrari are still in the hunt.

Fourth : Lewis Hamilton ~ hmmmm

Fifth : Adrian Sutil ~ Often undervalued

Sixth : Felipe Massa ~ Needs to find the fire

Seventh : Jenson Button ~ More experience than some of the names I saw in the list

Eighth : Nico Rosberg ~ :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ninth : Nick Heidfeld ~ ????

Tenth : Rubens Barrichello ~ Someone has to be tenth. :oops:

Pole : Sebastian Vettel ~ :evil:
Holy crap on a cracker! Image
Number one idiot for 2007!!!!!
2008 Round of France winner!!! Wooooooohoooo!!!!!!
2010 Round of Britian winner!!!!!!

10 n Pole Admin

Post by 10 n Pole Admin » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:50 pm

With just over 3 days to go before the closing of picks for the 2011 Australian Grand Prix, 10 'n' Pole players have Vettel as the favourite to win with 45.5% of first place picks. Alonso is the favourite for second with 32.5% of second place picks and Webber for third with 24% of third place picks. For Pole, Vettel is the clear favourite with 61% of the picks so far.

Thaddeus
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by Thaddeus » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:08 pm

Thanks for that, Mr. Admin, it's really interesting to see what other people think.

10 n Pole Admin

Post by 10 n Pole Admin » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:28 am

Thaddeus wrote:Thanks for that, Mr. Admin, it's really interesting to see what other people think.
No worries, for this year, we are posting the live popular picks for each race. Just follow the link on the submit page and you can view the top 5 picks for each position. And yes it is interesting to see what the others are thinking and also how it changes as the event nears

cmlean

Post by cmlean » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:41 pm

I will start this season with a fairly predictable entry.

Winner: Sebastian Vettel
Second: Mark Webber
Third: Fernando Alonso
Fourth: Felipe Massa
Fifth: Nico Rosberg
Sixth: Lewis Hamilton
Seventh: Michael Schumacher
Eighth: Jenson Button
Ninth: Nick Heidfeld
Tenth: Jaime Alguersuari

Let's see how it pans out.

Jim Watt
Racer
Racer

Post by Jim Watt » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:52 am

:D Greetings, Chaps! It's been a long cold winter and though I don't regret losing the BAH RAIN "race," it's good to picking again.

I think most of you are too optimistic about Red Bull v. Ferrari. This year, it will be Red Bull's DRIVERS who will keep them in the hunt --and Alonso's Ferrari will be the rabbit they're chasing.

So. Here's me picks:

1. Fernando Alonso: :1st: to kick off a year in which he'll get his third WDC!!

2. Sebastien Vettel: :clap: because he IS a WDC and the car ain't bad either

3. Mark Webber: he'd be faster than Sebastian if he just were 30#'s lighter :alright: :alright:!!

4. [Quick] Nick Heidfeld: 8) 8) 8) the guys in front better not make any mistakes because Nick is hungry and his car is fast!

5. Felipe Massa: :roll: :roll: :roll: When WILL Ferarri wake up!! If they don't win the manufacturer's title this year they should fire Luca!!! :evil:

6. Michael Schumacher: and he could be faster than Nick; I'm just not sure if the fire's there...:conf3:

7. Lewis Hamilton: I'd have him higher if there weren't so many quicker cars!! :?

8. Nico Rosberg: I don't know; he could be quicker than I think...:oops:

9 Jenson Button: ditto to above remarks :lol:

10. Vetaly Petrov: if he can keep the car on the circuit, he might be even higher in the points...:D :D

Pole: Fernando Alonso will be back in form on Saturday, too!!! :up: :up:

cheers! :cheers: And let's Go Racing!! :wave: :wave:

Jim Watt
My Racing Gods: Fangio, Vukovich; Senna & Mears --all racers all the time; graceful winners & generous in defeat, but never giving up!!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:20 pm

And arriving at ther last minute, (bloody pigeon was late)
the wild picks from the "Bastard in the Bush "

Thank you julian mayo for submitting your picks for the race of Australia

The picks you have entered are:

Winner: Mark Webber

Second: Fernando Alonso

Third: Felipe Massa

Fourth: Nico Rosberg

Fifth: Lewis Hamilton

Sixth: Nick Heidfeld

Seventh: Michael Schumacher

Eighth: Sebastian Vettel

Ninth: Rubens Barrichello

Tenth: Kamui Kobayashi

The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Jim Watt
Racer
Racer

Post by Jim Watt » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:21 am

:D Hello Julian!

I see you're still high on Felipe Massa. It will be nice if your confidence is rewarded. I'd like to see Mark win at home, too --but I fear the car isn't as good as last year. I also debated putting Nico ahead of Michael, based on last year's performance, but then I remembered how important stops for tyres will be this year and how well Michael & Ross Braun worked together in the past.

cheers and good luck! :drink:

Jim Watt
My Racing Gods: Fangio, Vukovich; Senna & Mears --all racers all the time; graceful winners & generous in defeat, but never giving up!!

jido
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by jido » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:17 pm

First picks! I was waiting to see McLaren and Lotus Renault pace in practice session.

The picks you have entered are:

Winner: Sebastian Vettel

Second: Mark Webber

Third: Fernando Alonso

Fourth: Lewis Hamilton

Fifth: Michael Schumacher

Sixth: Jenson Button

Seventh: Felipe Massa

Eighth: Nico Rosberg

Ninth: Rubens Barrichello

Tenth: Vetaly Petrov

Pole: Fernando Alonso

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:03 pm

Jim Watt wrote::D Hello Julian!

I see you're still high on Felipe Massa. It will be nice if your confidence is rewarded. I'd like to see Mark win at home, too --but I fear the car isn't as good as last year. I also debated putting Nico ahead of Michael, based on last year's performance, but then I remembered how important stops for tyres will be this year and how well Michael & Ross Braun worked together in the past.

cheers and good luck! :drink:

Jim Watt
Hi Jim.... I am afraid I can't agree about Michael. Time has moved since MS was at his peak and he ain't no spring chicken any more...
having said that I could be back eating a large serving of humble pie after the race. :shock:
Holy crap on a cracker! Image
Number one idiot for 2007!!!!!
2008 Round of France winner!!! Wooooooohoooo!!!!!!
2010 Round of Britian winner!!!!!!

Jim Watt
Racer
Racer

Post by Jim Watt » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:54 am

:D Well, I'm an idiot! :oops: :oops:
I thought you had to submit your pole n' 10 BEFORE the Friday practice!! I got up last night at 11:30 to watch and discovered that those sly dogs, 8) 8) McLaren had been sandbagging BIG TIME!! :evil: :evil:

Even through the first practice session!!! they pretended to struggle --and then, in Practice #2, under less than ideal conditions, BOTH Jense AND Lewis upped their paces by TWO AND A HALF SECONDS: Jense, in Session One: 1:28.440 and in Session Two: 1:25.854!! and Lewis went from 1:28.483 in Session One to 1:25.968!!!

I fear I'm going to fall into the bottom of Pole N' Tenners because I also believed that Renault had a quick car :lol: :lol: and that Ferrari was the class of the field. :( :(

Fernando will do well to finish in the top five on Sunday --and I have doubts about him even finding the bottom step of the podium until they get back to Europe... :alright: :alright:

Maybe, A VERY BIG MAYBE, Ferrari can find something to put under the best driver on the grid. But I fear it will be too late. Poor Fernando!! He should have traded seats with Seb. V!!

Looks, right now, like the big 3 will be McLaren, Red Bull & Mercedes Benz; Ferrari will be struggling to keep ahead of the mid-fielders!

Jim Watt

10 n Pole Admin

Post by 10 n Pole Admin » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:54 am

Jim Watt wrote::D Well, I'm an idiot! :oops: :oops:
I thought you had to submit your pole n' 10 BEFORE the Friday practice!! I got up last night at 11:30 to watch and discovered that those sly dogs, 8) 8) McLaren had been sandbagging BIG TIME!! :evil: :evil:

Even through the first practice session!!! they pretended to struggle --and then, in Practice #2, under less than ideal conditions, BOTH Jense AND Lewis upped their paces by TWO AND A HALF SECONDS: Jense, in Session One: 1:28.440 and in Session Two: 1:25.854!! and Lewis went from 1:28.483 in Session One to 1:25.968!!!

I fear I'm going to fall into the bottom of Pole N' Tenners because I also believed that Renault had a quick car :lol: :lol: and that Ferrari was the class of the field. :( :(

Fernando will do well to finish in the top five on Sunday --and I have doubts about him even finding the bottom step of the podium until they get back to Europe... :alright: :alright:

Maybe, A VERY BIG MAYBE, Ferrari can find something to put under the best driver on the grid. But I fear it will be too late. Poor Fernando!! He should have traded seats with Seb. V!!

Looks, right now, like the big 3 will be McLaren, Red Bull & Mercedes Benz; Ferrari will be struggling to keep ahead of the mid-fielders!

Jim Watt
Hello Jim,

You are right, the rules of the competition until last year were that picks close prior to Friday practice start however since last year we extended the closing time until midnight of the Friday practice so that people (if they wish) could try to figure out something from practice times.

Personally I don't think practice times give much away. If we go by trends from the past, the pecking order is more accurate from the first practice but even that last year wasn't too indicative as some teams choose not to run at lower fuel loads.

For Melbourne it does look like Red Bull are leading the field then Ferrari then probably McLaren and Mercedes.

We'll all know more in a few hours :wink: