The 2010 Challengers: The Renault R30

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

What do you expect from Renault in 2010 ?

They will win the Constructors' Title
9%
They will finish second in the Championship
3%
They will finish 3rd, 4th or 5th in the Championship
58%
They will finish outside the top 5 in the Championship
30%

Total votes: 93

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

The 2010 Challengers: The Renault R30

Post by Ed » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:27 am

more photos below

Renault F1 Team presents the R30 in Valencia

The Renault F1 Team took the covers off its 2010 challenger, the R30, today in front of assembled media at the Valencia circuit in Spain.

Renault F1 Team driver Robert Kubica was on hand to unveil the car and reveal the exciting new black and yellow livery – the iconic colours made famous by Renault in the 1980s. The team also presented Vitaly Petrov as Robert’s teammate for the 2010 season. The 25-year-old finished as runner-up in the GP2 Series last year and becomes the first Russian driver to race in Formula One.

After unveiling the R30, Team Principal, Eric Boullier, joined Robert and Vitaly for a photo call in front of the car, along with the team’s Third Driver, Ho-Pin Tung, and Reserve Driver, Jérôme d’Ambrosio. Czech driver Jan Charouz will also be a Reserve Driver for the team this year but was unable to attend the presentation.

With stable aero regulations the R30 is a mixture of evolution and revolution, and is much more svelte and attractive than its predecessor. In particular the rear of the car has been considerably reworked to allow the car to make the most of the ‘double-decker’ diffusers that were first seen last year. Changes have also been made to the architecture of the chassis to adapt to the refuelling ban, which has required the installation of a much larger fuel tank.

Speaking at the presentation, Eric Boullier praised the team’s efforts in delivering the new car in time for the first test: “We’ve been working flat-out during the winter to ensure that we begin the new season in the best shape possible. The R30 should be a competitive, strong and reliable car, and we’ve opted for an aggressive development strategy throughout the season. Now we’re here ready for the first test and we’re all excited to see if the car performs as we think it will.”

Both Robert and Vitaly were thrilled to see their new car and spoke of their hopes for the season ahead: “The team has been working on the new car for a long time and it’s clear that we are moving in the right direction,” said Robert. “Now we need to maximise the winter tests to keep up this momentum and continue improving the car. Our priority is to make the car easy to drive because the new rules favour cars that are not too sensitive – we need a car that behaves consistently in a wide range of conditions.”

Vitaly Petrov added: “The new car looks stunning and the colours remind everybody of Renault’s great history in the sport. I can’t wait to drive the car for the first time and start working with the team.”

The Renault F1 Team will remain in Valencia until Wednesday evening to complete the first pre-season test session.

Dano
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by Dano » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:05 am

This car's paint job remind me of the jordans. I wonder why they decised to go away from the blue and yellow??

Jim Watt
Racer
Racer

Post by Jim Watt » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:48 pm

:D The car, at least, looks decently quick. But poor old Robert K.; I fear he has jumped in the wrong direction. He'd have done better to have stuck with BMW/Sauber, it appears. In the contest between the two 'loser' manufacturers --BMW & Renault-- it's clear the French have baled out.

Heavens to Betsy, they've even dropped any hint of the proud French Bleu colour. :roll: And they'll be lucky to do as well in Yellow livery as dear old Eddie J!

I have to vote for outside the top 5 (McLaren, Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull & Williams) for Renault.

And to think how recently they were wiping the competition with two time WDC Fernando Alonso and his always smiling team manager --what was his name now? Maybe they should have been known as Benneton/Renaults?

jim watt
My Racing Gods: Fangio, Vukovich; Senna & Mears --all racers all the time; graceful winners & generous in defeat, but never giving up!!

Snowy
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by Snowy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:11 am

When I first saw it I was very encouraged, it looks great, like a hornet! But since the Valencia test it is quite clear that not only does it look like a lemon it drives like one too. :(
Lewis Hamilton & Jenson Button World Champions :)

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:14 am

The colour is better than the awful yellow/orange from last year!!

I hope they do well as I don't like to see Kubica wasting 2 or 3 years of his career at the back.

Their advantage will be the fuel consumption. The Renault engine may not be the most powerful but is the most economical so they should have relatively light cars at the start (of course there is also Red Bull!!)
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!