Renault confirm Kubica for 2010

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Renault confirm Kubica for 2010

Post by Ed » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:43 pm

The Renault F1 team confirmed today that Robert Kubica will join the team in 2010. A statement released by Renault read:

Robert Kubica joins the Renault F1 Team in 2010

The Renault F1 Team is delighted to announce that Robert Kubica will drive for the team from the 2010 season onwards.

The 24-year-old Polish driver is one of the most highly-rated young drivers in Formula One, who has proved his ability as a race-winning driver and whose aggressive and consistent racing style have seen him as a contender for last year's drivers' title.

Team Principal, Bob Bell, commented: "We are very excited to have signed Robert with the Renault F1 Team starting next season. Ever since Robert made his Grand Prix debut in 2006, he has been on our radar as one of the most naturally talented drivers of his generation and he has delivered on that promise so it's great to have secured him in one of our cars next season. Renault has high ambitions and hopes for the future of the team and we feel that Robert can play a big role in fulfilling them."

Robert Kubica commented: "I am very happy I will be joining Renault in the 2010 season. I feel I have a special connection with this team because in 2005 I won the World Series by Renault. This gave me the chance to test with the team in Barcelona, which led to my debut in Formula One."

Robert continued: "I share with Renault a strong winning mentality and feel comfortable with their friendly and open attitude. I'm highly motivated and optimistic that together we can be at the front of the grid next year and hopefully fighting for the world title."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:49 pm

The BMW Sauber team issued the following statement thanking Robert Kubica:

Thank you and good luck, Robert!

München/Hinwil,

Next season Robert Kubica will be driving for Renault’s Formula One team. The 24 year old Pole and the BMW Sauber F1 Team have agreed on an early termination of their contract.

BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen said: “Robert played an important role for us – and certainly we did the same for him. He joined us in 2006 as a test driver with no Formula One experience, and then we promoted him to be one of our team’s drivers during that season. He never let us down and, with our first pole position in 2008 in Bahrain and first victory the same year in Canada, he set milestones in the history of our team. We are grateful for his strong and constant performances and wish him all the best for his future.“

Kubica himself commented: “I’m very thankful to those responsible in the BMW Sauber F1 Team for giving me the chance to get a Formula One cockpit. I think I justified the belief in me by delivering good results. In 2008 I managed to get the first pole position in Bahrain and the first win in Canada. Both will remain unforgettable moments for me. For 2010 I will have a new challenge. I wish everybody I worked with at the BMW Sauber F1 Team all the best for the future. I’m sure in the future our paths will cross in Formula One.”

Kubica drove his first Formula One race on the 6th August 2006 in Budapest. He competed in 55 Grand Prix for the BMW Sauber F1 Team, during which he achieved eight podium finishes and collected 129 championship points.

The team that will succeed the current BMW Sauber F1 Team will announce its driver line-up at a later stage.