Peace in Formula 1 - Concorde Agreement signed

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Peace in Formula 1 - Concorde Agreement signed

Post by Ed » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:13 am

The FIA's World Motor Sport Council made the following decisions relating to Formula One:

- All currently competing teams have committed to the FIA Formula One World Championship.

- There will be no alternative series or championship and the rules for 2010 onwards will be the 2009 regulations as well as further regulations agreed prior to 29 April 2009.

- As part of this agreement, the teams will, within two years, reduce the costs of competing in the championship to the level of the early 1990s. The manufacturer teams have agreed to assist the new entries for 2010 by providing technical assistance.

- The manufacturer teams have further agreed to the permanent and continuing role of the FIA as the sport’s governing body. They have also committed to the commercial arrangements for the FIA Formula One World Championship until 2012 and have agreed to renegotiate and extend this contract before the end of that period.

- All teams will adhere to an upgraded version of the governance provisions of the 1998 Concorde Agreement.

- The following teams have been accepted for the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship.

TEAM CONSTRUCTOR
SCUDERIA FERRARI MARLBORO FERRARI
VODAFONE McLAREN MERCEDES McLAREN MERCEDES
BMW SAUBER F1 TEAM BMW SAUBER
RENAULT F1 TEAM RENAULT
PANASONIC TOYOTA RACING TOYOTA
SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO STR TBA
RED BULL RACING RBR TBA
AT&T WILLIAMS WILLIAMS TOYOTA
FORCE INDIA F1 TEAM FORCE INDIA MERCEDES
BRAWN GP FORMULA ONE TEAM BRAWN TBA
CAMPOS META TEAM CAMPOS COSWORTH
MANOR GRAND PRIX MANOR COSWORTH
TEAM US F1 TEAM US F1 COSWORTH

- In view of this new agreement and with the prospect of a stable future for Formula One, FIA President Max Mosley has confirmed his decision not to stand for re-election in October this year.

Related:
Peace in F1: the first details
Political crisis over, Mosley to step down
Last edited by Ed on Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

Maksutov
F3 Tester
F3 Tester

Re: Formula 1 crisis is over - 2010 Formula 1 Entry list

Post by Maksutov » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:46 am

Ed wrote:The FIA's World Motor Sport Council made the following decisions relating to Formula One:

- All currently competing teams have committed to the FIA Formula One World Championship.

- There will be no alternative series or championship and the rules for 2010 onwards will be the 2009 regulations as well as further regulations agreed prior to 29 April 2009.

- As part of this agreement, the teams will, within two years, reduce the costs of competing in the championship to the level of the early 1990s. The manufacturer teams have agreed to assist the new entries for 2010 by providing technical assistance.

- The manufacturer teams have further agreed to the permanent and continuing role of the FIA as the sport’s governing body. They have also committed to the commercial arrangements for the FIA Formula One World Championship until 2012 and have agreed to renegotiate and extend this contract before the end of that period.

- All teams will adhere to an upgraded version of the governance provisions of the 1998 Concorde Agreement.

- The following teams have been accepted for the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship.

TEAM CONSTRUCTOR
SCUDERIA FERRARI MARLBORO FERRARI
VODAFONE McLAREN MERCEDES McLAREN MERCEDES
BMW SAUBER F1 TEAM BMW SAUBER
RENAULT F1 TEAM RENAULT
PANASONIC TOYOTA RACING TOYOTA
SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO STR TBA
RED BULL RACING RBR TBA
AT&T WILLIAMS WILLIAMS TOYOTA
FORCE INDIA F1 TEAM FORCE INDIA MERCEDES
BRAWN GP FORMULA ONE TEAM BRAWN TBA
CAMPOS META TEAM CAMPOS COSWORTH
MANOR GRAND PRIX MANOR COSWORTH
TEAM US F1 TEAM US F1 COSWORTH

- In view of this new agreement and with the prospect of a stable future for Formula One, FIA President Max Mosley has confirmed his decision not to stand for re-election in October this year.

Related:
Peace in F1: the first details
Political crisis over, Mosley to step down

Ok i probably need a little bit more information to see all the details of the agreements that have been signed so that I can conclude my happiness of this result. But if the links to the above articles are indeed true then this is a great victory for FOTA and for F1! As I suspected Mosley had no choice and has lost:

It seems that Mosley's planned budget cap, meanwhile, has been completely scrapped, although the kinds of other cost reductions agreed by FOTA should lead to radically smaller budgets by 2011.

However, Mosley appears to have backed down on all fronts.

In the name of the universe, YES!!!!

The published 2010 regulations are to be completely torn up, replaced - as per FOTA's wish - with this year's rules but modified for the cost-cutting measures agreed on Wednesday.

Well, that is just excellent.

"This for me is an enormous relief," Mosley said in a hastily convened press conference in Paris, also referring to "personal difficulties" he has faced.

well, I am sorry about the loss of his son but you Mr Mosley have been acting like a dirtbag for many years. No point in rubbing it in now with fancy words. You lost. Goodbye, in October Mr Max loser. I do not feel sorry for you and I never will just get lost and go away before I curse you or something. - oops too late I have already done that !
:ROTFLMAO:

F1greyhound
Over 500
Over 500

Post by F1greyhound » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:00 am

That was to be expected. Glad to see a complete list including TOYOTA, RENAULT and BMW, somehow I wasnt sure they would still be there in the current economical climate.

In fairness to MAX he didnt do everything wrong in the past, in fact he is behind some very reasonable and successful decisions re.regulation and the big egos of some teams havent made it always easy. Often they seemed unable to agree on anything substantial so when MAX leaves he deserves some credit where its due.

I think BERNIE is not too unhappy about the latest politics and propaganda... :wink:
YOURS IN SPORT

Tim
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tim » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:50 am

This was the best possible outcome. Actually surprised by how much Mosley gave away in such a short period of time.

I think things started going wrong in his case when he called some of the FOTA members "loonies" on the BBC. He then backtracked on the court action and when he felt he is losing momentum tries a last attempt by sending a letter to the FIA members. That was too late and he had to accept the inevitable.
FOTA on the other hand didn't really need to compromise. They have already provided prosposals to significantly cut costs (for example the ban on track test during the season) and that was the aim.

A few questions remain:
- Will Cosworth still supply 4 year old engines ?
- Will Williams and Force India be un-suspended from FOTA ? What about Campos, Manor and USF1 ?
- Given that the 2010 regs will be the same as the 2009 regs (with some cost cutting measures), will tyre blankets still be banned ? refuelling ?
- Will we see some of the FOTA idea's for improving the show ? Points for pole and fastest lap, etc ...
- And last but not least, will FOTA's pledge to provide lower cost tickets be satisfied by FOM ?

The relationship between the FIA President and FOTA could have been much better. Hopefully the new President and FOTA will work closer together and give the fans what they want - real racing

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:24 pm

As I understand it, Cosworth engines will have a higher rev limit for 1 season.
Yes. If needs be.
Dunno.
Dunno.
Dunno.
Will Jean Todt be the new President ?............... :shock2: :shock2: :shock2: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock2: :shock2: :shock2:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:37 pm

Both Williams and Force India's logos still appear on the FOTA website 8)

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:13 pm

Will Lola and Prodrive join an even further expanded grid............??? 8)

Maksutov
F3 Tester
F3 Tester

Post by Maksutov » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:04 pm

Tim wrote:This was the best possible outcome. Actually surprised by how much Mosley gave away in such a short period of time.

I think things started going wrong in his case when he called some of the FOTA members "loonies" on the BBC. He then backtracked on the court action and when he felt he is losing momentum tries a last attempt by sending a letter to the FIA members. That was too late and he had to accept the inevitable.
FOTA on the other hand didn't really need to compromise. They have already provided prosposals to significantly cut costs (for example the ban on track test during the season) and that was the aim.

A few questions remain:
- Will Cosworth still supply 4 year old engines ?
- Will Williams and Force India be un-suspended from FOTA ? What about Campos, Manor and USF1 ?
- Given that the 2010 regs will be the same as the 2009 regs (with some cost cutting measures), will tyre blankets still be banned ? refuelling ?
- Will we see some of the FOTA idea's for improving the show ? Points for pole and fastest lap, etc ...
- And last but not least, will FOTA's pledge to provide lower cost tickets be satisfied by FOM ?

The relationship between the FIA President and FOTA could have been much better. Hopefully the new President and FOTA will work closer together and give the fans what they want - real racing
Excellent questions once again Tim..

- Firstly, I doubt that there will be a single engine supplier ever, and I hope that there never is, this is one issue i believe the big teams were fiercely opposing when the idea was first introduced, and I hope that is still the case. Whatever engines Cosworth supply I am sure that FOTA will demand all technical regulations be standard for the entire F1 teams. I am still a little clouded by the new resolution so I dont know what exactly has been signed between FOTA and FIA, since FIA's statement includes that all regulations agreed upon prior to 29 April 2009 will stand - but there is the word "Agreed upon". So I believe the regulations that FOTA did not agree to will not be introduced.

- Frank Williams needs to learn his lesson, I hope he stays out of the FOTA loop for sometime until him and his team learn a lesson. I dont care about his excuses, he messed up because he obviously refused to see the big picture nor did he make an effort, which was really disappointing considering he has been in F1 for a very long time. Force India boss is a little naive and new, he will be forgiven alot easier. Overall the other teams now must join FOTA if their vote is to count for anything! Since FOTA will continue to be major player in F1 technical and financial rules. So overall yes I believe they will all be begging to be a part of FOTA now. But it will be a $100m pledge to Williams this time around :ROTFLMAO:

- Tyre blankets, I dont see why they would be banned - how are they going to provide cheaper racing?.. I hope the Tyre blankets stay, and I certainly hope that refueling stays - having F1 cars go round and round and round without refueling is going to make a very dull race!! You can be rest assured that there will be little or no overtaking with such heavy cars and there "could" be more crashes at the first corner, it will be more like V8 super car racing with such heavy fuel loads. Not to mention that there will be no strategy play whatsoever, since all cars will be fueled to the end. Refueling is an integral part of what makes F1 so interesting and special...

-I believe we will see some very interesting ideas and propositions brought by FOTA in time to come.. I look forward to it.

- Tickets and FOM is another story and another battle that FOTA have to deal with. Now they must concentrate how to burn greedy Bernie. I hope they put massive pressure on him. Bernie will have no choice but to be a player with FOTA...

Maksutov
F3 Tester
F3 Tester

Post by Maksutov » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:24 pm

Julian Mayo wrote:As I understand it, Cosworth engines will have a higher rev limit for 1 season.
I doubt it. Cosworth is going to have to change/modify some of its designs. Besides they entered F1 just recently without even the slightest consideration of whether the technical rules will be modified or not. Anyway I am curious to see what happens...

Tim
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tim » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:29 pm

I have expanded on my post above with the article "Peace in Formula 1 at last" on the blogs.

Maksutov
F3 Tester
F3 Tester

Post by Maksutov » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:38 am

Tim wrote:I have expanded on my post above with the article "Peace in Formula 1 at last" on the blogs.
Great article, you've covered all the points really well, great job :)

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:24 am

Mad Max has just written to the Ferrari President saying that unless he receives a public apology for telling the Media that, he was forced out of office, all deals are off.
He has stated in effect that he is still President of the FIA until October, and HE will decide what happens, not FOTA. ( Source:Yahoo7 via BBC thirty minutes ago)
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:19 am

It is now appearing in other forms of media, that Mad Max has done a complete U-Turn, has accused FOTA of propogating lies, is demanding a complete retraction of a number of FOTA/Ferrari statements, and is demanding a comprehensive public apology from FOTA/Ferrari.
It would seem that the deal has been torn up, and Max is preparing to stand for re-election in October.

Given that The Moneymen who own the rights to F1 rely on the enormous income from a viable profitable F1 to repay their equally enormous borrowings to purchase those F1 rights had just begun to feel comfortable again, if I were Max, I would be very careful crossing the road for the next little while.
I would assume that Bernie has been rudely kicked awake and even now is scuttling off to see Mad Max. 8)

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:57 am

I feel that it is all best summed up by one F1/FOTA team guy who said
" I will believe Max has gone when I see the stake thru' his heart."
:shock:

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:04 am

Today seems to be rumour day so it might be another one of those.

If it isn't, I doubt that he will have any support on this. The deal has been done.