FOTA meeting and press conference

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

FOTA meeting and press conference

Post by Ed » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:33 pm

The Formula One Team Association (FOTA) met on Wednesday ahead of their first major press conference. FOTA will announce proposals - some of which based on market research - to reduce costs and improve the Formula 1 spectacle. These proposals are said to include changes to qualifying, the points system as well as releasing more telemetry and radio communications to the public.

An official statement from FOTA read:

FORMULA ONE TEAMS MEET AT FOTA HQ IN GENEVA, AHEAD OF FIRST MAJOR PRESS CONFERENCE ON THURSDAY 5TH MARCH 2009

At 2.15pm GMT (3.15pm CET), senior management from the FOTA-affiliated Formula One teams met at the FOTA headquarters (2 Boulevard de Theatre, Geneva, Switzerland) and immediately set to work on finalising their proposals which will be unveiled at the FOTA press conference, which is due to be held at 10.30am GMT (11.30am CET) at the Batiment des Forces Motrices (2 Place des Volontaires, Geneva, Switzerland).

These FOTA proposals are aimed at increasing the stability, sustainability, substance and spectacle of the sport, and have been informed by the findings of a FOTA-commissioned survey of Formula One audiences across 17 countries. These findings will also be unveiled tomorrow.

Following its formation last September, FOTA created three working groups, whose remit has been to focus on the technical, sporting and commercial aspects of Formula One and recommend developments in each of those areas, in conjunction with the FIA and FOM.

(clockwise from left) Dr Mario Theissen (BMW-Sauber F1 Team), Cyril Abiteboul (ING Renault F1 Team), Flavio Briatore (ING Renault F1 Team), Stefano Domenicali (Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro), Luca di Montezemolo (Ferrari, Fiat; FOTA Chairman), Simone Perillo (FOTA Secretary General), John Howett (Panasonic Toyota Racing; FOTA Vice Chairman), Tadashi Yamashina (Panasonic Toyota Racing), Franz Tost (Scuderia Toro Rosso), Christian Horner (Red Bull Racing), Martin Whitmarsh (Vodafone McLaren Mercedes), Ron Dennis (McLaren Group), Ross Brawn, Alex Burns (AT&T WilliamsF1)

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:33 pm

FOTA outlined their key proposals for Formula 1 at a major press conference on Thursday with all 10 Formula 1 teams represented.

FOTA Chairman Luca di Montezemolo said:
This is an unprecedented moment in Formula One history. Above all else, for the first time the teams are unified and steadfast – with a clear, collective vision. Thanks to this unity, all the teams have already managed to make a significant reduction to their costs for 2009. And, while we will continue to compete vigorously on track, we all share one common goal: to work together to improve Formula One by ensuring its stability, sustainability, substance and show for the benefit of our most important stakeholder, namely the consumer. It is with this mindset that we now intend to work hard, with our partners at the FIA and FOM, our shared goal being to optimise the future of Formula One
The key proposals by FOTA are:

Technical

2009:
- More than 100% increase in mileage per engine (eight engines per driver per season)
- Reduction in wind tunnel and CFD (computational fluid dynamics) usage
- Engine available at €8 million per team per season

2010:
- Engine available at €5 million per team per season
- Gearbox available at €1.5 million per team per season
- Standardised KERS (put out to tender, with a target price of €1-2 million per team per season)
- Target a further 50% reduction of the 2009 aerodynamic development spend
- Specified number of chassis, bodywork and aerodynamic development iterations (homologations) during the season
- Prohibition of a wide range of exotic, metallic and composite materials
- Standardised telemetry and radio systems

Sporting

2009:
- Testing reduction (50%)
- New points-scoring system (12-9-7-5-4-3-2-1), to give greater differentiation/reward to grand prix winners
- Race starting fuel loads, tyre specifications and refuelling data to be made public

2010:
- Commitment to recommend new qualifying format
- Radical new points-scoring opportunities (eg, one constructors’ championship point to be awarded for the fastest race pit stop)
- Further testing reductions (four four-day single-car pre-season tests plus one single-car pre-season shakedown)
- Reduction of grand prix duration (250km or a maximum of one hour 40 minutes) pending the approval of the commercial rights holder

Commercial

2009:
- Increased data provision for media
- Explore means by which the presentation of Formula One action can be more informatively and dynamically presented, common to other sports such as tennis and cricket, to dramatically improve engagement with the public
- Nominated senior team spokesman available for TV during grand prix
- Commitment to enhance consumer experience via team and FOTA websites
- Mandatory driver autograph sessions during grand prix weekends

2010:
- Commitment to enhance consumer experience via TV coverage

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:36 am

And lurking in the background is one N Fry..................... :shock:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:52 am

Julian Mayo wrote:And lurking in the background is one N Fry..................... :shock:
He certainly is and at the FOTA meeting Ross Brawn was present. That is a positive sign that there will be a 10th team in 2009.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:01 am

Ed wrote:
Julian Mayo wrote:And lurking in the background is one N Fry..................... :shock:
He certainly is and at the FOTA meeting Ross Brawn was present. That is a positive sign that there will be a 10th team in 2009.
Who do you think will partner the Great Unbuttoned, and will it be Merc or Ferrari engines?????

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:30 am

Julian Mayo wrote:
Ed wrote:
Who do you think will partner the Great Unbuttoned, and will it be Merc or Ferrari engines?????
I think the second part is easy, it is 'almost' confirmed to be Mercedes engines. As for the pairing, it looks like an unchanged lineup with Barrichello making a surprise comeback but I think that is due to Ross Brawn. In any case it seems Senna is no longer a candidate for this team.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:24 pm

Ed wrote:
Julian Mayo wrote:
Ed wrote:
I think the second part is easy, it is 'almost' confirmed to be Mercedes engines. As for the pairing, it looks like an unchanged lineup with Barrichello making a surprise comeback but I think that is due to Ross Brawn. In any case it seems Senna is no longer a candidate for this team.

That may be indicative of the sort of problem I forsee bedevilling this team.
I would of thought that, financially speaking at the very least, Senna would have been a great catch, I wonder if small fry has the necessary business acumen..............?????

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:35 pm

Just saw the BBCAnnouncement that Brawn GP, with Barra, and the Great Unbuttoned will contest the Melbourne GP with Merc engines.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:45 pm

Julian Mayo wrote:
Ed wrote:
Julian Mayo wrote:

I would of thought that, financially speaking at the very least, Senna would have been a great catch, I wonder if small fry has the necessary business acumen..............?????
Yes Senna would have been a great catch but maybe they have already signed him for next year. I think the driver selection is all Brawn and he wants good technical drivers to improve the car in the long term and not a short term goal with an unproven talent
Not sure what Fry's role will be going forward but to be very honest I am not sure why he is still there given that Honda have been going backward for the last few years.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:19 am

Ed wrote:
Julian Mayo wrote:
Ed wrote:

Yes Senna would have been a great catch but maybe they have already signed him for next year. I think the driver selection is all Brawn and he wants good technical drivers to improve the car in the long term and not a short term goal with an unproven talent
Not sure what Fry's role will be going forward but to be very honest I am not sure why he is still there given that Honda have been going backward for the last few years.

Has Fry actually contributed anything of note to any team anywhere? I am curious as to how he got to be where he is........................ :?