The Spanish Grand Prix (Kimi Raikkonen wins!)

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

The Spanish Grand Prix (Kimi Raikkonen wins!)

Post by Ed » Tue May 03, 2005 8:53 am

This is the place to discuss everything related to the fifth round of the 2005 season taking place in Spain between the 6th and 8th of May.

The Spanish Grand Prix Preview is now available here.
The main San Marino Grand Prix Page is now available here.

Results from 1st Qualifying are available here
Results from 2nd Qualifying are avaialble here

Note: The International Court of Appeal have banned the BAR Honda team from two races (Spain and Monaco). BAR decided not to take the matter further.
Juan Pablo Montoya will be racing at the Spanish Grand Prix

To submit your 8 'n' Pole Picks for Spain click here, to register in the competition click here (it is never too late to enter as the winner of each round wins a prize in addition to the overall prizes)

Team Preview page is here (updated as they become available)
Team Quotes following Friday practice are available here
Team Quotes following Saturday qualifying are available here
Team Quotes following the race are available here

FIA Press Conferences:
Thursday - with Fernando Alonso, Juan Pablo Montoya, Felipe Massa, Tiago Monteiro and Christijan Albers
Friday - with Max Mosley
Saturday - with Jarno Trulli, Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen
Sunday Q - with Kimi Raikkonen, Mark Webber and Fernando Alonso
Sunday Race - with Kimi Raikkonen, Fernando Alonso and Jarno Trulli
Last edited by Ed on Tue May 17, 2005 9:08 am, edited 24 times in total.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Tue May 03, 2005 8:54 am

The event timetable for the Spanish Grand Prix

1st Friday Practice 11:00 local time - 09:00 GMT
2nd Friday Practice 14:00 local time - 10:00 GMT

1st Saturday Practice 09:00 local time - 08:00 GMT
2nd Saturday Practice 10:15 local time - 08:15 GMT
Saturday Qualifying 13:00 local time - 11:00 GMT

Sunday Qualifying 10:00 local time - 08:00 GMT
Race 14:00 local time - 12:00 GMT

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Tue May 03, 2005 8:57 am

The latest weather forecast for the Spanish Grand Prix (last updated 7 May)

Friday
1st Practice - 11 AM - 18 Sunny
2nd Practice - 2 PM - 21 Sunny

Saturday
1st Practice - 9 AM - 17 Sunny
2nd Practice - 10:15 AM - 17 Sunny
1st Qualifying - 1 PM - 20 Mostly Sunny

Sunday
2nd Qualifying - 10 AM - 18 Mostly Sunny
Race - 2 PM - 22 Mostly Sunny
Last edited by Ed on Sat May 07, 2005 5:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.

K-D
Racer
Racer

Post by K-D » Tue May 03, 2005 5:33 pm

After 4 races, the season begins to have a certain pattern.

Renault has gotten it right, and Fernando Alonso is the odds-on favourite to win the WDC this season.

Part of the ?rap? on Michael Schumacher have been, that it is always easy to win from the front of the grid, but it is hard to critique a driver for starting from the front end of the grid basically all his career. Any driver starting from Pole and getting through the first corner in front will be able to dictate the race, and we have seen Both Giancarlo and Fernando do exactly that the first 4 races of the season.

This coupled with the various self induced problems of the other teams have made it easier for Renault to take such a commanding lead, to an extent we can look at Ferrari?s 2004 season, as a comparable situation. They had done everything correct, and fielded a package that was just better than all others under basically all conditions.

Michelin obviously have build a better tire than Bridgestone, this regardless of the strong performance by Michael Schumacher/Ferrari/Bridgestone at Imola, that was somewhat helped by the cold conditions that it was held under.

Fernando Alonso will line up in Spain as the favourite once more. But I expect Michael Schumacher to take the battle to him once more, and even though he compromised his race, by having an of during Q2 at Imola getting Pole will be very difficult for him.

Much has been written of how Kimi Raikkonen could have won, had he not broken down. But he was fuelled lighter than Michael, and possibly lighter than Fernando. And I think that only Fernando could have been able to resist Michael Schumacher?s charge at Imola.

The teams as such have seen very different performances from their drivers, a fact which I subscribe to how talent will be able to make a difference when needed.

Fernando Alonso is clearly a better driver than Giancarlo Fisichella. Giancarlo had a dream start to the season by winning from Pole in Australia, but since then the wheels have come of and he needs to improve, and become a factor once more.

Kimi Raikkonen is carrying the load for McLaren due to Juan Pablo Montoya?s injury, but the drives by both Pedro de la Rosa and Alexander Wurz have shown us that the car is a basically a sound, reliable and quick design. Ultimately Kimi Raikkonen is clearly a better driver than Juan Pablo Montoya.

Michael Schumacher is clearly a better driver than Rubens Barichello. Ferrari has placed themselves on the back foot by introducing the F2005 late, and at even having to rush it into service early. This has caused teething problems, and the new carbon gearbox could still cost them some finishes this season.

I think that Ralf Schumacher have performed equally to Jarno Trulli, however due to Jarno?s fine qualifying, it has shown little in the results. Twice out of the four races, Jarno have fallen down through the field, and Ralf have caught up with him. The penalty at Imola cost Ralf points, but that was not his fault.

All the frontrunners will be racing with a fresh engine, I realise that BAR revitalised their season. But at time of writing don?t know what will come of the FIA appeal, and they may ?only? have Sato?s 4th place finish.

8)
K-D

sgd
Racer
Racer

Post by sgd » Wed May 04, 2005 11:02 am

K-D wrote:Any driver starting from Pole and getting through the first corner in front will be able to dictate the race, and we have seen Both Giancarlo and Fernando do exactly that the first 4 races of the season.

Ultimately Kimi Raikkonen is clearly a better driver than Juan Pablo Montoya.
OK 1st, forget who was on pole and got through the first corner in front at Imola??? I see you forget fast!!

2nd. again that BS about Kimi being clearly a better driver than Montoya??? so if it is so clear an you explain me why so many people was expecting the battle Kimi vs Montoya?? why so many (all i've read) F1-experts has called this pair the most exciteing pair of the grid?? Ie read even about Senna-Prost-like teammantes and not onluy F1 experts, but MANY (all I know expet you, the one who's never wrong) F1 fans are also excited about the Kimi vs JPM battle??? belive me that because IT IS NOR CLEAR AT ALL WHO OF THOSE IS BETTER!!!!!! and wel have to wait till 2006 to have a real picture of this!!!
I'd do a POLL but is too obvious for me that it just "let's wait and see hwo is the man" ....

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Wed May 04, 2005 11:06 am

Good post K-D,

I see you're now saying the Ferrari gearbox may yet fail again!

There are no such thing as 100% in F1 is there ?

I do think that Raikkonen is better than Montoya but I still think they are the closest two teammates on the grid. Montoya though has only raced 2 races for McLaren so I think it is too early!

I think Button will be very strong and may even get pole :shock:

Ralf will have to improve his qualifying then if he wants to show us he is on par or better than Trulli!. Looks like he is another DC!!

This will be another close race and I can't wait
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

sgd
Racer
Racer

Post by sgd » Wed May 04, 2005 11:11 am

Montoya will be in friday practices, says colombian radio!!!

:bounce: :bouncec: :TOTW: :cheers: :bounce: :bouncec: :D :D :D

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Wed May 04, 2005 11:41 am

Don't you forget Webber, he will be up there. Well in qualifying at least. Stupid Williams.
Ok, Lewis may win the WDC in 07, but Sato will beat him in 08.

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Wed May 04, 2005 11:56 am

And Villeneuve too :shock: :shock: :wha:

Well yes if some think Webber will be up there then I have the right to think Villeneuve will be there too :wink:

Graham Ross
Racer
Racer

Post by Graham Ross » Wed May 04, 2005 12:02 pm

K-D I have to agree with sgd here

The verdict is still out. Maybe Montoya is harder on tryes but Raikkonen is harder on the car. Which is better ?
Montoya has only raced for 2 races so you cannot tell for sure

And I reckon Montoya will beat Raikkonen this year

(sgd is being very reasonable :shock: :up: )

Graham Ross
Racer
Racer

Post by Graham Ross » Wed May 04, 2005 12:04 pm

JayVee wrote:And Villeneuve too :shock: :shock: :wha:

Well yes if some think Webber will be up there then I have the right to think Villeneuve will be there too :wink:
Well JV did get himself out of jail at Imola. I have to say that!

But I still reckon Massa will be way ahead in Spain and if he doesn't then we'll probably see Villeneuve until the end of the season :shock: :oops:

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Wed May 04, 2005 12:47 pm

Villeneuve's result at Imola will give him a massive boost.

You will now see a much improved Villeneuve as he gets to set his car the way he likes.
If he doesn't beat Massa he'll be very close.

Yes and I can absolutely guarantee that :rolling: :ROTFLMAO: :cheers: :wha:
Just kidding!!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Wed May 04, 2005 1:25 pm

rah wrote:Don't you forget Webber, he will be up there. Well in qualifying at least. Stupid Williams.
@#*^#@**#@##* Williams :twisted:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Wed May 04, 2005 1:28 pm

Graham Ross wrote:K-D I have to agree with sgd here

The verdict is still out. Maybe Montoya is harder on tryes but Raikkonen is harder on the car. Which is better ?
Montoya has only raced for 2 races so you cannot tell for sure

And I reckon Montoya will beat Raikkonen this year

(sgd is being very reasonable :shock: :up: )
:that: :that: :that: :that: :that: :that: :that:
and SGD is being VERY reasonable :lol:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Wed May 04, 2005 2:58 pm

Weather forecast updated.

Latest: Sunday 22 with showers!