Is this the end of Max Mosley ? (Mosley survives!)

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

Should Max Mosley resign as President of the FIA

Yes, he should be responsible for his actions
85%
No, this is a private matter
15%

Total votes: 13

Jim Watt
Racer
Racer

Post by Jim Watt » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:57 am

:crush:

Max (like his good friend, Mr. E.) has been in Formula One too long. Neither of these so-called 'powerhouses' have had anything like the best interests of racing, the teams, or the drivers in mind for years.

Though Max and his friend may deserve credit for enhancing the economic and cultural 'status' of Grand Prix racing (and remember, in the early days, auto racing had a sort of outlaw and outre status somewhat like early NASCAR. It was loud, dangerous, dirty, noisy --and not altogether 'sporting' in its approach to racing and winning.), it is PRECISELY that enhanced image that the injection of Mr. Mosely's personal sexual tastes has sullied.

Like Fernando says: it would be laughable if it were just any old man's comeuppance (and I am almost exactly Max's age (68 in June), especially one who has made so much of the importance of dignity.

But millions of dollars and pounds of investment and the risking of actual lives by drivers, pit crews and safety personnel deserve better than being represented to the world by a clown like Benny Hill.

Excuse me, let me apologize to the ghost of Benny; he would actually be a better representative than Max: at least, he was HONEST about his sexual proclivities (which, as revealed by his many sketches and able assistants, were just as silly as Max's bogus German accent and S.&M. gear). He never pretended to have a private life. And At least his girls were having fun!

But enough of this; no one cares what old men (confessedly dirty or not) think...:zzz:

Max's arrogance is, at last, revealed for what it is: the belief that his money and power have purchased, for him and his friends, an untouchable status. The best response is the age old rasberry

Just think, in closing, what kind of statement would have issued from the hallowed (now hollowed) halls of the F.I.A. had one of the team bosses been caught out this way? :roll:

In short, he is an embarrassment to himself and to racing and the sooner we see his exit, the better. :wave: :wave:

Ciao for now, Jim Watt
My Racing Gods: Fangio, Vukovich; Senna & Mears --all racers all the time; graceful winners & generous in defeat, but never giving up!!

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:48 am

The FIA announced on Wednesday that the General Assembly will be meeting on the 6th of June to discuss the Max Mosley scandal. The meeting will include a vote of confidence. (More)

Mosley is suing the paper that published the photos and video, he indicated that the proceeds from the case will be donated to FIA Foundation. (More)

In related news, the injunction Mosley sought to force the video off the paper's website has been thrown out.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:28 am

During the Spanish Grand Prix weekend, it was reported that Bernie Ecclestone no longer supports embattled FIA President Max Mosley and requested that all teams sign letter requesting Mosley to step down. It is reported that Ferrari, Red Bull and Williams refused to sign. (more)

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:52 am

It is now reported that Bernie Ecclestone was not pushing for Max Mosley to resign and describing the recent media reports as "a load of nonsense" (more)

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Thu May 01, 2008 11:16 pm

Ron Dennis has categorically denied any involvement in the undercover investigation into the private life of FIA President Max Mosley.

Dennis denial comes after the Czech Automobile Association Chief Rodovan Novak hinted at a possible link between Dennis and the private investigation. (more)

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:26 pm

FIA President Max Mosely has survived the confidence vote following his sex scandal.

The FIA released a statement detailing the votes, it read:

During the Extraordinary General Assembly (EGA) held in Paris today, the FIA Member Clubs voted on a motion of confidence in the FIA President.

The FIA membership voted as follows:

For the motion: 103
Against the motion: 55
Abstentions: 7
Invalid votes 4

Voting in the EGA was made by secret ballot. Votes were counted in private by the FIA legal department in the presence of four scrutineers, selected by the EGA from a list of Delegates proposed by the Chairman of the meeting (the President of the FIA Senate).

The entire voting procedure was supervised by an external Huissier de Justice (French state-appointed public witness).

More

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:30 pm

The German Automobile Club - Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil-Club (ADAC) announced they would boycott the FIA as long as Mosley remains as President. It is also reported that a number of other clubs may follow. (More)

F1greyhound
Over 500
Over 500

Post by F1greyhound » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:21 am

This means the ADAC has no proper understanding of democracy. If they cant accept a majority decision they should have not voted at all. You cant vote and then not accept the result. I hope that this wont be tolerated and that the German decisionmakers will have to face some consequences for this poor and immature behaviour.

Yes, Max made an error, basically letting his private issues become public. No, this cant in any way harm the sport and has nothing to do with his qualities of leading the FIA.

It was a clear vote result expressing a majority trust in MM and ADAC should rethink pretty quickly..
YOURS IN SPORT

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:52 pm

Well, I'm glad to see the FIA's restored my faith in their decision-making processes...............NOT!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

While in the short-term it seems Max Mosely has dodged a bullet, I'm wondering what the long-term ramifications are, not just for the FIA but for motorsports in general. Yes, the vote was fairly conducted and Mosely won a clear majority, but at what cost? If ADAC does goes through with their planned boycott of the FIA(and, FWIW, I very much would like to see "Triple A", a/k/a the American Automobile Association(AAA), join them....), what effect will it have on the other motoring clubs and/or the FIA as a whole? And what about the sporting clubs, what will this decision have on their future plans w/the FIA? What if some of the FIA's member sporting clubs, such as ACCUS(Automobile Competition Committee of the United States), CAMS(Confederation of Australian Motor Sport) or MSA(MotorSports Association) were to consider joining ADAC in their boycott, what would that do?

Yes, one's private actions are just that, private.......except when said actions spill over into the public sphere and begin to affect the public's perception of said person...if Mosely's actions are not harmful to the sport, then why does it seem that nobody in F1 wants to either be near him or have anything to do with him? Unless I'm mistaken, most of the teams in the F1 paddock want nothing to do with him, Bernie E supposedly no longer supports him(note I said supposedly, for does anyone really know what goes through his mind?) and now, IIRC, the FIA's 2 vice-presidents will stand in for Mr. Mosely at all official FIA functions.

Yes, the FIA acted in a democratic manner, as they should......the member clubs voted, and the vote was a victory for Max Mosely in the short term as I mentioned earlier, but the question we should be asking here is...........At what cost? Could this vote evetually lead to fracturing within the FIA? Could Mosely, now given his short-term mandate, turn around and decide to run for another full term(even though, IIRC, he said something to the effect of that he would not run again after '09)? And what about the judgements of history? How will history look at what has transpired over the past few months; will it see the glaring lack of character in Mosely's actions and his stubborn, Clintonesque-defense of his actions..........how will it judge the FIA's member clubs, both on the sporting and motoring sides of the FIA; should they have told Mosely to go jump in the proverbial lake when all this transpired or will history judge those who voted to keep Mosely as president just as harshly as I believe they will judge Mosely?
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

jido
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by jido » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:36 pm

Nederlands federation talking of corruption...

:drive: :pop:
The fun is still going on!

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:36 pm

I think this is getting a bit ridiculous now!

There are many people in high places who do wrong things but aren't attacked like this. I don't agree with many of Max's decisions but in this instance, he didn't do anything that was illegal as far as I am aware so why is this witchhunt against him ?

Perhaps it is now good that the Max and Bernie are no longer friends, perhaps that will be for the benefit of the sport.

What really gets me is the claim that Max won the vote because of the support of developing countries!!! Really, aren't those countries the same ones that Bernie is talking to to set up F1 races there ?

On the issue of boycott, does this mean that events in Germany won't be held ?
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

jido
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by jido » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:57 pm

JayVee wrote:On the issue of boycott, does this mean that events in Germany won't be held ?
That is not how I understand it, rather the (important) German federation will stop participating in the workgroups it is involved in with the FIA.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:50 pm

jido wrote:
JayVee wrote:On the issue of boycott, does this mean that events in Germany won't be held ?
That is not how I understand it, rather the (important) German federation will stop participating in the workgroups it is involved in with the FIA.
It appears that Germany's ADAC sanctions the Nurburgring event which isn't held this year. The Hockenheim event which will be held this year is sanctioned by AvT! (more)

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:04 pm

Regardless of the wrongs or rights of what Max Mosley has done, it appears that Formula 1 wants to move beyond this scandal which is a good thing.

After calling on Mosley to quit, Ferrari's Luca Montezemolo has backtracked on those comments and now leaves it up to Mosley as to when he should quit.
I am happy that Max Mosley has been re-elected president of the FIA. He has done excellent work for formula one in recent years.
With regard to the future, it will be entirely up to him to decide if and when he should take a step back
(more)

Toyota and BMW Sauber have also indicated they want to move on. Both have been vocal in demanding Mosley quits but now they want to turn their attention to the sport. (more)

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:48 am

Now that the vote was in favour with Max by a big margin, it is time to put this issue to rest and for all partys to start looking at more important issues involved in the sport.