Round of Japan 2013 - Picks and comments

The Best F1 Guessing Game! Have a question or just want to share with us your picks

Moderators: cmlean, 10 n Pole Admin

10 n Pole Admin

Round of Japan 2013 - Picks and comments

Post by 10 n Pole Admin » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:39 pm

10 'n' Pole players, post your picks for the fifteenth race of the season in Japan.

You can log-in to the new 10 'n' Pole site and submit your picks at http://newsonf1.net/10npole/ then paste your picks here and tell us why you think your picks will be the correct ones.

For a live view of which drivers the 10 'n' Pole players are picking, visit the Popular Picks page

You can also visit the new Continuous F1 Coverage page for all the news and comments on Formula 1

For the latest Formula 1 news, visit the Formula 1 News page.

The deadline for submitting the picks is the start of Saturday practice. That is at 11:00 Japan time (05:00 GMT).

Good luck

Thaddeus
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by Thaddeus » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:07 pm

Sadly, I suspect we'll continue to see a Vettel procession. On the plus side, Suzuka's a great circuit.

Winner: Sebastian Vettel
Second: Mark Webber
Third: Kimi Raikkonen
Fourth: Lewis Hamilton
Fifth: Fernando Alonso
Sixth: Romain Grosjean
Seventh: Jenson Button
Eighth: Felipe Massa
Ninth: Nico Hulkenberg
Tenth: Paul di Resta
Pole: Sebastian Vettel

GhoGho
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by GhoGho » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:44 pm

Second: Lewis Hamilton
Third: Fernando Alonso
Fourth: Kimi Raikkonen
Fifth: Mark Webber
Sixth: Nico Rosberg
Seventh: Felipe Massa
Eighth: Jenson Button
Ninth: Nico Hulkenberg
Tenth: Romain Grosjean
I'm in shape

Round is a shape...........

:cheers:

Jim Watt
Racer
Racer

Post by Jim Watt » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:44 am

:lol: Thaddeus: I don't know why you think Seb's fantastic display of driving skill is sad? If it were Jenson setting up to win four races in a row, would you be sad? No. If it were Fernando? Kimi? NO. All of these are gifted and fast drivers, are they not? And everyone would LOVE to see any one of them win the championship. :clap: :clap: :clap:

But I suspect people WOULD be sad :cry: :cry: if it were Lewis who were going for his fourth win in a row. Why?

Because somehow Lewis and Seb are both fast AND not particularly pleasant chaps. :roll: :roll: Like some others I might name, Prost, Schumacher, Lauda --well, no need to go on. 8) 8)

It's funny to me how drivers' popularity is so rarely mated to their skills. I suspect we all imagine ourselves as good guys, like Webber :up: :up: --and we hate to see the villains win.

But for me, the beautiful car is the one that is first across the line and the beautiful driver is the winner. Period.

So. I agree with you and GhoGho: Sebastian Vettel will win. And if Fernando meets with bad luck, Vettel will win the World Driving Championship as well. (for the fourth time in a row! changing the record books again)

Mark Webber will finish behind him (surely his run of bad luck is over!) for second place

The third step on the podium will go to Kimi.

Hamilton will finish fourth, after complaining all day

Fernando will earn his salary by dragging that red sled to fifth.

Grosjean, I think, will make some mistakes and be lucky to finish sixth --or even in the points for that matter

Massa will exceed expectations and finish only two places below Fernando in seventh

Rosberg will have trouble all day and finish eighth.

Perez will finish ninth and

Jenson will get the final point (What has gone wrong in Ron Dennis's shop?!?)

The pole and the fastest lap in the race will be Sebastian's

maybe it will rain and, in that case, look for Kimi to snatch another win or, it could even be Jenson if the stars are aligned. In any case, at Suzuka in the rain ANYTHING might happen. And everyone will be happy :P :P
My Racing Gods: Fangio, Vukovich; Senna & Mears --all racers all the time; graceful winners & generous in defeat, but never giving up!!

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:36 pm

Well I am well behind with my tips this year.... so here I go again!!!

Winner: Fernando Alonso
Third: Sebastian Vettel
Fourth: Romain Grosjean
Fifth: Kimi Raikkonen
Sixth: Lewis Hamilton
Eighth: Nico Rosberg
Ninth: Jenson Button
Tenth: Daniel Ricciardo

It's about time Seb had some bad luck.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Holy crap on a cracker! Image
Number one idiot for 2007!!!!!
2008 Round of France winner!!! Wooooooohoooo!!!!!!
2010 Round of Britian winner!!!!!!

Thaddeus
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by Thaddeus » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:19 pm

If it were Button's (for example) fourth race win I wouldn't be annoyed. If it were his fourth win on his way to his fourth consecutive title, and he typically won races by getting pole then staying ahead of everyone during the race so that every race (for the win) was non-competitive then yes, I would be a bit annoyed by that.

I don't dislike Vettel, but I want a change at the sharp end.

sennano1fan
F3 Tester
F3 Tester

Post by sennano1fan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:30 pm

Winner: Lewis Hamilton
Third: Sebastian Vettel
Fourth: Fernando Alonso
Fifth: Felipe Massa
Sixth: Kimi Raikkonen
Seventh: Romain Grosjean
Eighth: Nico Rosberg
Ninth: Jenson Button
Pole: Lewis Hamilton
Anything can be improved by a beer or two

jido
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by jido » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:12 am

For win, surprise surprise - Vettel! :bouncec:
I expect Hulkenberg in the points again.

Second: Fernando Alonso
Third: Kimi Raikkonen
Fourth: Lewis Hamilton
Fifth: Mark Webber
Sixth: Romain Grosjean
Eighth: Nico Hulkenberg
Ninth: Paul di Resta

Jim Watt
Racer
Racer

Post by Jim Watt » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:11 am

:D Thaddeus:

I agree that we need more variety at the "sharp end" --but, as I was telling my son after Korea, it was wonderful to see a G.P. in which the podium was RBR and Lotus -- and to have McLaren, Ferrari, and Mercedes all struggling. What was most juicy was that these big money outfits were fighting --and LOSING! to Lotus, who, like me live from pay check to pay check AND the mighty Alonso in the mighty Ferrari COULDN'T GET ROUND a Sauber ... a SAUBER for goodness' sake!

The careers of both RBR and Vettel have really shaken the F1 power players and, though I am a long time Tifosi, I have to admit that it pleases me to see the Ferrari's failing (not least b/c they are managed and, I think, owned, by Fiat --my candidate for the worst car made in Europe (and that takes some incredible work, btw!). De Montezumolo (or however he spells his name) is one of the worst things to ever happen to Maranello. And isn't it rich that the last time Ferrari WAS dominant it was because of a German driver (who shall be un-named) and a British Crew Chief, the brilliant Ross Braun!?!

It is also fun, for me, to see the mighty Mercs made to look foolish. There they are, last week, looking at an all Renault podium.

Ah, well, maybe next year with all new engines from Ferrari, Renault & Mercedes, things will be all scrambled again.

As to McLaren. Well, less said the better. I am gobsmacked by their decline; they're going south faster than Jaguar! Maybe some obscure high tech mogul from San Francisco will buy them and emulate the Red Bull genius.

Anyway, cheers and I hope you enjoy the race Sunday!
My Racing Gods: Fangio, Vukovich; Senna & Mears --all racers all the time; graceful winners & generous in defeat, but never giving up!!

Thaddeus
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by Thaddeus » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:05 am

This isn't confirmed at all, but I've heard whispers that there could be a significant discrepancy in the engines for next year, with Mercedes up to 100bhp ahead of Ferrari, and Renault worst of all in power terms. That said, fuel efficiency will also be critical.

I hope Lotus can get some more cash. They've lost Allison and Raikkonen to Ferrari and must be in danger of losing their performance in 2014.

jido
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by jido » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:58 am

Thaddeus wrote:This isn't confirmed at all, but I've heard whispers that there could be a significant discrepancy in the engines for next year, with Mercedes up to 100bhp ahead of Ferrari, and Renault worst of all in power terms. That said, fuel efficiency will also be critical.

I hope Lotus can get some more cash. They've lost Allison and Raikkonen to Ferrari and must be in danger of losing their performance in 2014.
If fuel efficiency and reliability are critical, do you really want to make your engine more powerful than any rival?

My prediction: Mercedes 2014 engines will break with more speed than any of Ferrari, Renault or Honda, and Mercedes-equipped teams will whinge all year round about the engine limit.

Jim Watt
Racer
Racer

Post by Jim Watt » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:39 am

jido said:

My prediction: Mercedes 2014 engines will break with more speed than any of Ferrari, Renault or Honda, and Mercedes-equipped teams will whinge all year round about the engine limit.

I agree; it appears that part of the Merc personality (perhaps reflecting the "new" Germany?) is to whinge reflexively, no matter what. So different from the old days with Fangio and Karl Kling (remember him?) when they simply shrugged their shoulders and buckled down to work making their responses on the track.

Jim Watt