2014 Formula 1 pre-season testing thread

Discuss Formula 1 Testing

Moderators: cmlean, Ed

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

2014 Formula 1 pre-season testing thread

Post by Ed » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:28 pm

On this thread we will provide you with information regarding the 2014 Formula 1 pre-season testing.

3 tests are scheduled prior to the season opener in Melbourne

Jerez: 28 to 31 January
Bahrain: 19 to 22 February
Bahrain: 27 February to 2 March

We will be providing regular updates and results during those events on this thread

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:18 pm

Testing at Jerez is underway, all the teams were scheduled to start testing today except for Lotus however Marussia were delayed by a last minute problem and they are expected to commence testing tomorrow.

Of all the teams, it appears that Mercedes are the most ready with Lewis Hamilton doing a number of laps early in the day and so far has set the quickest time.
Toro Rosso have also completed a number of laps however Jean-Eric Vergne's best lap so far is significantly slower than that of Hamilton's

Those are the only two teams with any significant running! Kimi Raikkonen in the Ferrari managed 2 laps (one of which his car stopped on the track), Perez in the Force India completed 1 lap as did Gutierrez in the Sauber.

Red Bull, McLaren, Williams and Caterham have yet to complete an installation lap!

Seems that this is a very challenging start to 2014

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:22 pm

Hamilton has suffered a front wing failure and has hit the wall. He is ok but the car has been damaged. A setback for the team

Times so far:

1 Hamilton Mercedes 1:27.820
2 Vergne Toro Rosso 1:36.530

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:00 am

Look like this season will be challenging indeed!

Fastest laptimes and total laps at the end of the first day (yes day not first hour!)

Driver - Team - Best Lap time - Laps
Raikkonen - Ferrari - 1:27.104 - 31
Hamilton - Mercedes - 1:27.820 - 18
Bottas - Williams - 1:30.082 - 7
Perez - Force India - 1:33.161 - 11
Vergne - Toro Rosso - 1:36.530 - 15
Gutierrez - Sauber - 1:42.257 - 7
Vettel - Red Bull - No time - 3
Ericsson - Caterham - No time - 1

McLaren could get the car out even for an installation lap. Marussia's car didn't make to Jerez and Lotus aren't testing.

There were numerous red flags on the first day. Raikkonen, Perez and Vergne all stopped on the track while Hamilton lost his front wing and went off into the barriers.

It is worth noting that the fastest laptime during testing at Jerez with a 2013 car was a 1:17.879
Last edited by Ed on Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:18 am

Selected quotes from the teams and drivers:

Kimi Raikkonen - Ferrari
We had a lot of new things to learn today, even if we would have liked to do more laps, I think that for first day it was alright. Towards the end, when the track was damp, we chose not to take any risks. Now we have a lot of work ahead of us, but all in all, we are pleased with our first day.
Paddy Lowe - Merecedes
To conclude our day's running with a front wing failure was an unfortunate end to what had, to that point, been a very positive start to our winter. We were the first team to send a car out on track, on the dot at 0900 this morning, and were gradually extending the length of the runs when the incident occurred. Lewis' initial feedback was positive once he was able to complete some timed laps, which is a promising indicator for the basic package. Concerning the failure itself, we are still analysing its cause, and this process, coupled with the repairs to the car, have brought an end to our running today. The teams at Brackley and Brixworth did a fantastic job to prepare the car for running this morning and tomorrow we hope to start adding to what is already a useful number of laps completed. There is a lot of data for us to analyse overnight and the learning curve this winter will be very steep
Valterri Bottas - Williams
It wasn't an ideal start to the day but the positive thing is that the team did a great job to fix the problems we found overnight and we got the car working well to complete a few laps this afternoon. The car matched my expectations on track with more torque. It feels like a very different car compared to last year in the way it handles as well as the power. After only a few laps we found a few things we can improve which is also good, so we need to start working on those things tomorrow.
Sergio Perez - Force India
As expected it has been quite a slow day for everybody in Jerez. The main job was to learn as much as possible each time the car went out so that we could identify and solve any issues. It was not really possible to get a feeling for the car because we only did a small number of laps, but the important thing is that the car is up and running
Jean-Eric Vergne - Toro Rosso
It would be easy to say things did not go well today, because the car stopped, because we didn’t use full power and therefore I did not get a chance to see what the car feels like. However, that is the wrong way to look at things, because we expected plenty of difficulties, especially learning about how the new type of power unit works. In fact, I would say this was a positive day, because just getting the car on track was an achievement, so the team can be pleased with that as it was down to their hard work. From my point of view, it was also interesting to work with my new race engineers for the first time and to be back enjoying the atmosphere of the Formula 1 paddock. Now, we will spend a lot of time looking at all this data tonight and then Daniil will move the programme forward tomorrow. Overall, a satisfactory start to the season in very difficult conditions
Esteban Gutierrez - Sauber
It was a big achievement to get our car on track on the first day of testing, and I am proud that I was the first one to drive it. Especially because of all the rule changes, it is very complex but the team has done a good job. The feeling in the car is not what I have been used to. The engine and the power it produces and the sound are very different, but we will get used to that. It’s just a different characteristic. It was important to get some running today. These four days of testing are to see if all the systems are working, and that’s the most important. It is way too early to comment on the drivability. We will get there during the second and third per-season tests in Bahrain. We will get the electronics and everything else sorted first and I think we are going in a good way to achieve that.
Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull
We did a total of three laps today so it was difficult to get an impression of what the new car is like. We weren’t quite ready this morning and things took a little bit longer than expected. But considering the total amount of running we saw today I think everybody is in a similar position. The laps we did were just to run the car and get everything up to temperature, but it was impossible to get a feeling for it today. There’s still a lot we can go through tonight. Even if you don’t do much running there’s plenty of work
Marcus Ericsson:
I'm very proud to have completed my first lap as an F1 driver today, and want to thank everyone in the team for working so hard to get the car ready for day one in Jerez. We'd planned to unveil it before the track opened this morning but put that back until later in the afternoon after a few problems with the final car assembly, but that was to be expected with so much new technology on the car.
The reaction to the car has been huge - people either love it or hate it, but for me it's not really important what it looks like, as what counts is how quick it is. If it's fast then I really don't care if it's the worst looking thing out there, if it's slow but beautiful then what's the point of that?
We obviously won't know really where we are until quali in Australia, and one installation lap on day one isn't going to tell us a lot about the car, but to have got that first lap out of the way and on to day two is a good feeling, and, for me, a positive way to start my life as an F1 driver.

McLaren statement:
Today was a challenging start to the MP4-29’s test and development programme. Along with other teams, we faced difficulties readying our new car for the first winter test of 2014.
Despite firing up successfully at the MTC last week, the car was predominantly affected by electrical issues during the day. The subsequent dismantling, inspection and re-installation of several major components ultimately meant we were unable to conduct any running today.
We’re re-installing key systems on the car overnight, with the expectation that Jenson will begin the car’s installation programme tomorrow.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:20 pm

Day 2 at Jerez has been declared as the official wet test day, it has been raining overnight and it has been decided to continue testing under wet conditions even if it dries by artificially watering the track. (the official wet testing day was planned to be Friday but the overnight rain triggered this change)

After 2 hours the order is:

Bottas - Williams - 1:38.102 - 10
Raikkonen - Ferrari - 1:38.272 - 15
Perez - Force India - 1:39.526 - 9
Gutierrez - Sauber - 1:42.661 - 23
Button - McLaren - No time - 3
Vettel - Red Bull - No time - 3

Toro Rosso and Caterham have yet to go out.
Mercedes have yet to go out following Hamilton's crash yesterday
Marussia expect their car to arrive in the afternoon and they will commence testing on Thursday

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:03 am

Early afternoon update:

After running in the wet in the morning, the track has dried and teams have switched to dry tyres.
After struggling to get the car out yesterday, McLaren are doing much better today. The Renault powered cars however seem to have problems.

Button - McLaren - 1:27.556 - 32
Perez - Force India - 1:28.376 - 27
Rosberg - Mercedes - 1:29.231 - 24
Bottas - Williams - 1:37.762 - 17
Raikkonen - Ferrari - 1:38.272 - 16
Vettel - Red Bull - 1:38.320 - 8
Gutierrez - Sauber - 1:41.798 - 33
Ericsson - Caterham - No time - 1

Toro Rosso have yet to go out today!

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:17 am

The second day of testing ended much better than the first, well at least for the Mercedes and Ferrari powered teams. The Renault powered teams continue to have major problems. Mercedes do appear to be the most prepared and Nico Rosberg nearly covered 100 laps.
In term of lap times, the times dropped 3 seconds from yesterday, the gap to last year is now around 7 seconds.

Best laps times of the day:

Jenson Button - McLaren - 1:24.165 - 43
Kimi Raikkonen - Ferrari - 1:24.812 - 47
Valtteri Bottas - Williams - 1:25.344 - 35
Nico Rosberg - Mercedes - 1:25.588 - 97
Sergio Perez - Force India - 1:28.376 - 37
Esteban Gutierrez - Sauber - 1:33.270 - 53
Marcus Ericsson - Caterham - 1:37.975 - 11
Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull - 1:38.320 - 8

Toro Rosso didn't go out at all as they continue to struggle with problems. The Marussia car arrived and is expected to be driven on day 3

There were 3 red flags during the day, Guiterrez spun off in the Sauber while Perez stopped in his Force India and so did Ericsson in the Caterham

Testing continues at Jerez tomorrow

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:46 am

Selected quotes from the teams and drivers:

Jenson Button:
For our first day of actual running, we were able to get a good understanding of the car, and the way the engine and turbo behaves. It’s tricky, and very different to what we’re used to, but I could feel that these cars will be enjoyable to drive.
Of course, it’s still early days, and there’s a lot of work ahead of us. We need to work on both braking and traction; but that excites me, because there’s a lot of potential to adjust those parameters. The new braking system is very complicated, and getting it right will be tough.
But these are all things we can work on: there’s nothing about the car that unsettles me, and there’s plenty of scope to explore the set-up. It will just take time.
Our main aim this winter was to field a reliable car that would give us a good baseline. These cars will develop so much over the next few months, so it’s essential to have a solid base to build upon; and I think we have that good base
Kimi Raikkonen:
Every time we go out on track we learn something new. This week the times don’t matter and the only thing that does is to do a good number of laps without any problems and fortunately, we have managed that on both days. The team is working hard and at the next test in Bahrain, we will continue to improve.
Valtteri Bottas:
Testing this week is about checking all the new systems more than outright performance so problems are expected, but we've been solving each one as it has come up. We completed some running in the wet this morning to gather some data on the intermediate tyres and then clocked up some more laps in the dry this afternoon and my first impression of the car is positive. Unfortunately we had to finish the day slightly early though. I felt something different with the rear of the car so the team called me straight back in to check it over. We are much wiser than we were yesterday and have a better understanding of the car already and so I'm looking forward to the next time I can get behind the wheel.
Nico Rosberg:
That was a great team effort today. We had to fix a problem on our car overnight. The guys worked through the night back at the factories and flew in the parts just in time this morning, so we were able to do a lot of mileage today which is great for our learning process. It was a great feeling to put some good miles on the new Silver Arrow and there's a lot of new stuff to clear because it's very different to the old car. It's heavier, you have less downforce and the steering wheel is completely different; it's almost like a smartphone with all the information on it! Every lap is important to get used to the new systems and it helped a lot that I have worked on this already in the simulator. We don't know yet where we are compared to the other teams, but we can be quite happy after the first two days of testing here in Spain. Now I look forward to getting back in the car on Friday.
Sergio Perez:
Today was a lot more productive than yesterday so in that respect we are making progress as we learn about the car. We still have a long way to go with understanding the complexity of all the systems so it’s important that the next two days with Nico and Daniel give us the information we need before we arrive in Bahrain. It will be only then that we can hopefully start to work on performance.
Esteban Gutierrez:
Today we were able to do a lot of laps, which is very positive. Considering the circumstances, it is very important to put in this mileage. We found some issues in the systems, which is something to work on and part of the process. Obviously at this stage I was not able to push. Before we can take it to the limit our priority is reliability. We had some issues with the brakeing system, where it was better to go easy in the braking zones, figure out how the system reacts, get mileage and sort it out.
Marcus Ericsson:
11 laps today and our first couple of full runs in the new car, so we are starting to work through the program. I'd obviously like to have had more time in the car, but we knew we'd have the sort of issues that have limited our running today so it's nothing to be down about for me.
The more time I spend with the team, in and out of the car, the more comfortable I'm feeling. Everyone's being really helpful and I'm starting to build a good relationship with my engineer, so even with the technical issues that we and every team are having, I've learnt a huge amount already in the last couple of days. Now the aim is to put some more laps on the board tomorrow and Friday and then I'll be back to the factory for more sim work before heading to Bahrain and my next run in the car at the second and third tests.
Sebastian Vettel:
Obviously we’ve not had a lot of running and have a few problems to sort out, but with such big rule changes it is usual to have some teething problems. That's what tests are for, to sort those issues out. The next two days will be important to get some track time to prepare for the tests in Bahrain.
Toro Rosso statement:
The STR 9 was unable to do any running today, because of electrical problems that could not be repaired in time. Therefore, at a certain point, the team decided to cut its losses and concentrate on preparation for tomorrow’s session

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:13 pm

Day 3 at Jerez gets underway under sunny but cold conditions. Most of the Mercedes and Ferrari powered teams go out on proper runs however the Renault runners are still struggling. 2 hours into the session and Red Bull have yet to leave the pits

Best lap times so far:

Alonso - Ferrari - 1:26.017 - 20
Button - McLaren - 1:26.503 - 15
Hamilton - Mercedes - 1:27.356 - 27
Sutil - Sauber - 1:32.150 - 8
Massa - Williams - 1:33.087 - 5
Vergne - Toro Rosso - 1:45.525 - 17
Ericsson - Caterham - No time - 5

Red Bull, Force India and Marussia have yet to go out

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:54 pm

Early afternoon update from Jerez on day 3:

There have been a few red flags, Alonso in the Ferrari stopped on the track and so did Ricciardo in the Red Bull and Hulkenberg in the Force India.

Worryingly for Red Bull, they have yet to set a time today

Best lap times so far today:

Button - McLaren - 1:25.030 - 40
Alonso - Ferrari - 1:25.495 - 32
Hamilton - Mercedes - 1:25.973 - 45
Massa - Williams - 1:26.435 - 36
Sutil - Sauber - 1:30.161 - 32
Hulkenberg - Force India - 1:30.205 - 7
Vergne - Toro Rosso - 1L45.525 - 22
Frijns - Caterham - No time - 10
Ricciardo - Red Bull - No time - 3
Marussia have yet to go out

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:24 am

Day 3 of testing at Jerez ended and once again the Mercedes powered cars have done most of the running. Ferrari powered cars aren't doing too badly however the Renault powered cars continue to struggle.

There were 3 more red flags with Sutil in the Sauber going off while Vergne stopped twice exiting the pit lane.

Best lap times from day 3:

Magnussen - McLaren - 1:23.276 - 52
Massa - Williams - 1:23.700 - 47
Hamilton - Mercedes - 1:23.952 - 62
Button - McLaren - 1:25.030 - 40
Alonso - Ferrari - 1:25.495 - 58
Hulkenberg - Force India - 1:26.096 - 17
Vergne - Toro Rosso - 1:29.915 - 30
Sutil - Sauber - 1:30.161 - 34
Frijns (Test driver) - Caterham - No time - 10
Chilton - Marussia - No time - 5
Ricciardo - Red Bull - No time - 3

Note that Magnussen took over from Button in the afternoon

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:58 am

Selected team and driver quotes from day 3:

Kevin Magnussen:
This was a big day for me. I had butterflies in my stomach and had trouble sleeping last night – I’m a rookie, and I was just excited to get in the car. Equally, however, this doesn’t feel like my first day at work: I know everybody at McLaren, so I really felt at home.
Happily, everything worked as it should, and the car felt good. I’m pretty pleased with our reliability – to have done as many laps as I did in just half a day was pretty positive.
I’m not taking too much from the fact that I set the fastest time – I was pushing, but it wasn’t a balls-to-the-wall lap. We wanted to get good data and learn about the car, so I think everyone is pushing out there.
Even so, I still think we can improve the car this week. And the most important thing is to understand how to improve things when we go away from here. I think we have a good idea of the direction to take.
Felipe Massa:
It was a new experience for me today. The first day with a new car is always very exciting but adding to that changing teams, all the new faces and the new place, it made it even more exciting for me. Unfortunately we didn't do the amount of laps we wanted to do today but it's pretty acceptable for the first days of testing considering all the rule changes with the car. The car feels very different to what we used to have in many areas. You need to understand how to drive with the engine, the chassis, the tyres and the turbo, but it's fun! There will be a lot of improvements we can make up before the first race and throughout the championship. Performance is important but I think reliability will be a key issue to think about for the first race. I'm happy with how I have been welcomed into the team as everyone has been very kind and professional. I'm really happy and I know we have a lot of work to do to fix the little issues we have, but I think we can have a good championship together. It's also my first experience with a different engine manufacturer and it's been really great working with Mercedes. I'm really happy with the new power unit and the way the team work so it's going to be interesting. Overall, I'm very happy with my first day.
Lewis Hamilton:
At the moment we're definitely happy. We've shown the strength within this team through all the hard work that's gone into getting the car here, bouncing back from the issue on Tuesday and then going out there and following up 97 laps yesterday with a further 62 today; it's a huge accomplishment for everyone involved. Proving reliability at this stage is crucial and every lap is precious, as this is going to be a seriously challenging year for every team. I'm feeling very positive after these tests and every day on track is another step forwards, but there are so many challenges ahead of us in the coming weeks and months that we just have to take those steps one at a time.
Fernando Alonso:
It’s always nice to be driving again, especially in front of your home crowd. I’ve missed it for a few months now, even if I’ve spent hours in the simulator in Maranello and the feeling I got from the track was as exciting as ever. Now we have a lot of work ahead of us, but we have a very big potential to make progress and that’s encouraging.
Nico Hulkenberg:
It’s difficult to give a lot of feedback after my first day in the car because most of my time was spent doing mapping and data collection with some constant speed runs. So I’ve yet to really get a feel for the car. My first impressions are that the new era of Formula One feels very different to the car I drove in Brazil last year. It’s a very different sensation, but you have to remember this is very early days and there is a lot more to come. Things will evolve quickly over the next few weeks because the car is very much a work in progress and we still have lots to learn.
Jean-Eric Vergne:
It was still a difficult day, but I'd say a lot more positive than the previous two, in fact it was a massive step forward. Towards the end, we were able to complete a few laps with the power unit running well. I am pleased with the work done by the team, especially on the Renault side. After yesterday, everyone stayed calm and identified the problem. I believe we now have a good basis on which to work overnight so that tomorrow we can make even more progress.
Adrian Sutil:
It was nice to be back in a car, as well as in a different team for the first time. It was a pleasure, and the team has done a fantastic job to get the C33 ready. It is very different to drive, as it has much more torque and sounds different. It’s very quiet, but the power is definitely there. It’s early on, so the systems are not always working exactly as they should. But we did a few decent runs. Our biggest issue was the brake-by-wire system, so we still need to work on that. Also to get a feeling for the tyres is quite tricky. The hard tyre is very hard, so it is going to be a big challenge to make them work. Towards the end of the session we did a few installation laps. On the last one the tyres lost a lot of temperature, it caught me by surprise when I accelerated out of the corner, shifting up from third to fourth on a straight line, and suddenly the car snapped and I went off. It’s all repairable but it will be a long night.
Robin Frijns:
Even though we had limited running today it's still good to be back in an F1 car, especially with a team where I already feel like part of the family. Since we made the announcement last week everyone's been really good with me, integrating me into the whole setup at the factory and here in Spain much more than I've been with my previous teams, so it's a good feeling.
We started this morning on time and ran through a few installation laps so we could keep working through all the systems we need to get right before we can start to push on performance. The car was behaving pretty strangely, mainly down to the way the power is being delivered, and it was pretty stop/start as we kept having to make adjustments for each run.
After lunch we had a power unit problem that meant the guys had to take the floor off and replace a couple of parts, and that's a big job with how complicated everything is - in the end the clock beat us and we couldn't get back out before the end of the session, and while that's obviously not ideal, it's what testing is for.
Max Chilton:
Today has been a real demonstration of the step forward we’ve made as a Team. After the biggest rule change in F1 history, and for a Team of our size and resources, I think we’ve done an exceptional job. Congratulations to the whole Team and our new Scuderia Ferrari colleagues for a superb reward today. We got a good clean run on our installation lap and completed four further laps without issue, so I’m really pleased. Five laps today are far more important than you can imagine, as every detail of the data will be pored over tonight and in the weeks ahead of the Bahrain tests to ensure we can continue making good progress.
Andy Damerum - Red Bull:
We worked hard yesterday to make the changes it was felt were necessary to overcome the problems we identified and we were hopeful of a more successful day today. Unfortunately, the measures we took only partially solved the issue and, as with yesterday, it’s more sensible to stop and dig deeper into finding a solution. It’s obviously not where we want to be and naturally the whole team is frustrated by these issues. However, we’re pretty good at bouncing back from this type of thing. This is where the whole team pulls together and I’m sure we will get these problems fixed.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Final day of testing at Jerez gets underway under wet conditions.

The good news is that all 10 cars have made it onto the track and have set a time. The Mercedes powered cars continue to lead the way.

Best lap times after 2 hours:

Rosberg - Mercedes - 1:37.580 - 49
Magnussen - McLaren - 1:38.391 - 19
Massa - Williams - 1:39.256 - 13
Alonso - Ferrari - 1:39.999 - 16
Juncadella - Force India - 1:41.925 - 8
Kvyat - Toro Rosso - 1:44.016 - 8
Sutil - Sauber - 1:44.224 - 21
Kobayashi - Catherham - 1:44.859 - 15
Ricciardo - Red Bull - 1:45.374 - 7
Bianchi - Marussia - 1:48.192 - 5

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:48 pm

Early afternoon update from Jerez on the final day of testing:

Rosberg is the first to complete a race simulation showing that Mercedes are the best prepared
Alonso tops the timesheets on the intermediate tyres. The track is drying and dry running is expected from now
Serious problems continue to affect Red Bull as they decide to wrap up the test early after Ricciardo completed just 7 laps today

Best lap times so far:

Alonso - Ferrari - 1:35.334 - 64
Rosberg - Mercedes - 1:36.951 - 91
Magnussen - McLaren - 1:38.391 - 49
Massa - Williams - 1:39.256 - 34
Juncadella - Force India - 1:41.132 - 32
Kobayashi - Caterham - 1:43.193 - 45
Kvyat - Toro Rosso - 1:44.016 - 8
Sutil - Sauber - 1:44.234 - 43
Ricciardo - Red Bull - 1:45.374 - 7
Bianchi - Marussia - 1:48.192 - 5