First Formula 1 Team Pirelli Test - 19 - 20 November 2010

Discuss Formula 1 Testing

Moderators: cmlean, Ed

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

First Formula 1 Team Pirelli Test - 19 - 20 November 2010

Post by Ed » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:45 am

The first day of testing at Abu Dhabi with the Formula 1 teams running Pirelli tyre for the first time.

Fastest laptimes were:

Rank...Driver...................... Team..................Fastest Laptime............Laps
1 ...... Felipe Massa ............ Ferrari ..................... 1:40.170 ........... 94
2 ...... Sebastian Vettel ....... Red Bull Racing ........ 1:40.500 ........... 78
3 ...... Gary Paffett ............. McLaren Mercedes .... 1:40.874 ........... 94
4 ...... Kamui Kobayashi ...... BMW Sauber ........... 1:40.950 ........... 83
5 ...... Robert Kubica ........... Renault .................. 1:41.032 ........... 39
6 ...... Rubens Barrichello .... Williams ................. 1:41.425 ........... 91
8 ...... Paul di Resta ............ Force India ............. 1:41.615 ........... 21
9 ...... Nico Rosberg ............ Mercedes ................ 1:41.778 .......... 81
10 .... Jaime Alguersuari ..... Scuderia Toro Rosso . 1:42.019 ......... 71
11 .... Adrian Sutil .............. Force India .............. 1:42.859 .......... 20
12 .... Timo Glock .............. Virgin Racing ............ 1:44.124 .......... 78
13 .... Heikki Kovalainen ..... Lotus Racing ............ 1:44.686 .......... 88
14 .... Pastor Maldonado ..... HRT F1 Team ........... 1:45.728 .......... 83

Testing concludes on Saturday
Last edited by Ed on Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:01 pm

-
Last edited by Ed on Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:49 am

Fastest laptimes on the second and final day were:

Rank...Driver...................... Team..................Fastest Laptime............Laps
1 ...... Fernando Alonso ....... Ferrari .................... 1:40.529 ........... 105
2 ...... Michael Schumacher . Mercedes ................. 1:40.685 .......... 74
3 ...... Sebastian Vettel ....... Red Bull Racing ........ 1:40.825 .......... 66
4 ...... Rubens Barrichello .... Williams .................. 1:41.294 .......... 100
5 ...... Robert Kubica ........... Renault ................... 1:41.032 .......... 91
6 ...... Gary Paffett ............. McLaren Mercedes .... 1:41.622 .......... 46
7 ...... Oliver Turvey ........... McLaren Mercedes .... 1:41.740 .......... 30
8 ...... Paul di Resta ............ Force India .............. 1:41.869 .......... 35
9 ...... Kamui Kobayashi ...... BMW Sauber ........... 1:42.100 ........... 43
10 .... Sebastian Buemi ...... Scuderia Toro Rosso . 1:42.145 .......... 97
12 ..... Vitantonio Liuzzi ...... Force India ............... 1:42.416 .......... 46
13 ..... Sergio Perez ........... BMW Sauber ............ 1:42.777 .......... 46
14 ..... Jarno Trulli ............. Lotus Racing ............. 1:44.521 .......... 83
15 ..... Pastor Maldonado .... HRT F1 Team ............ 1:44.768 ......... 65
16 .... Timo Glock .............. Virgin Racing ............ 1:44.783 ......... 82

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:36 am

Selected quotes from the second day

Fernando Alonso - Ferrari
Overall, it was a positive day. We had no particular problems with the Pirelli tyres and we were able to gather a lot of data for their engineers to work on. We are pleased with the way we worked and in how we were able to adapt the set-up of the car to suit the new tyres, especially in terms of the work we can do on the new car in preparation for next season. From what we could see, the switch from Bridgestone to Pirelli should not be a traumatic one. Being back on this track after the disappointment of Sunday? It’s normal that all of us still feel very disappointed, but that’s part of sport. I would think it’s the same thing the Dutch football players felt when they lost the World Cup final back in July: then, after a few weeks, they realised they had achieved something, while so many others had not even got anywhere close. The same goes for us: the final victory eluded us, but in any case we had a great season, with a fantastic fight back in the second part of the year. Next year we will try again, because we are Ferrari!
Michael Schumacher - Mercedes
Today was my first day of testing for 2011 and I feel that we had an interesting session. We gathered a lot of data and insights, and have positive feedback from our first impression of the new tyres. I am probably the only driver to have driven with Pirelli tyres before but it was 20 years ago and I didn't have any certain expectations before today. In terms of consistency, it looked quite good but we were using the 2010 car today and it will be all about how these tyres suit our 2011 car. I am already curious to try it out but at the same time I am looking forward to having a break now. I am sure the guys are too and they clearly deserve it. I would like to thank all of them for the good job they have done over the season and I have massively enjoyed working with them
Ross Brawn
Michael and Nico have now completed their first days in the car on Pirelli tyres and both have been impressed. This week's test has been very productive for us and comes at a time when we can use the information gathered here to fine-tune the detail of our 2011 car and optimise the areas which we believe will be critical. Pirelli have done an excellent job to get these tyres to where they are now after such a short period of time and we are looking forward to working closely with them through the winter test programme at the start of next year.
Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull
We have had two busy days on track, getting our first impressions of the new tyres, analysing how they perform and looking at some things for next year. There is still a lot to do, but I think the tyres are already better than expected. Since February we haven’t really had time to do any in-depth testing on track, so these two days have given us a chance to reflect on things we have tried during the season
Ian Morgan - Red Bull Head of Race Engineering
It’s been interesting to work with different tyres here and it was good to have the opportunity to get information using a car we know well – the RB6 – before starting to work with the new car next year. Overall we have done everything we planned to and we’re looking forward to working with Pirelli in the future. It’s sad that this is the last day of running for the RB6 – it’s a car that we have enjoyed a great deal of success with this year – but we’re looking forward to 2011
Robert Kubica - Renault
It has been quite a productive day and it’s good to complete so many laps on the new tyres. Like yesterday we ran with both compounds and collected a lot of data, which will be useful for us and for Pirelli as well. Overall it has been a positive couple of days and now we have to try and extract as many conclusions as we can from the data. My initial feeling is good and it seemed that the tyres got better as the track conditions improved throughout the day.
Alan Permane - Renault Chief Engineer
We’ve had a second useful day on the Pirelli tyres and managed to complete medium length runs on both the soft and medium compounds without any significant issues. This allowed us to start understanding the tyre characteristics and assess the degradation rates. We struggled with some understeer today, which we never totally got rid of, so we still need to try and understand that. Over the next couple months we will continue building our relationship with Pirelli by exchanging data so that we’re ready for winter testing to resume next February.
Rubens Barrichello - Williams
Another full day of testing today. We did a lot of laps! We learnt everything about the tyre we needed to and have a good amount of data check out over the winter. I want to thank all of the team for the effort they have put in over the year. They have been great to work with. I am now looking forward to going home and recharging over the next two months and coming back refreshed in 2011.
Tom McCullough - Williams Senior Test Engineer
We evaluated different braking systems today from which we have some interesting results. The rest of the session was spent concentrating on performance set-up work and understanding the new tyres. In summary, the team has had a productive week in Abu Dhabi. We’re pleased with the progress made with Pirelli, and we’ve collected plenty of valuable information to work on before returning to the track with the new car next year.
Dominic Harlow - Force India
Dominic Harlow, chief race engineer
We have been looking forward to this Pirelli tyre test since we received the first real information about the tyres from them in early September. Over these two days we've covered more than two race distances and have been impressed with Pirelli's tyres.
We've allowed all three of our drivers to make an overall assessment in comparison to this year's baseline, and then we've carried out further parameterised testing with the two compounds available. In addition we have run with a great many additional sensors and data acquisition systems to collect as much information as possible from the tyres on track. Having used eight sets, four option and four prime, we feel we've built a reasonable early picture of the tyres at a circuit which, although changing in condition, has proven productive for testing.
The next steps are for us to incorporate what we have learned into the development of VJM04, and for Pirelli's engineers to analyse the data they have collected as they determine the tyre specifications that will be available to us when we are next testing in February 2011.

Sebastien Buemi - Toro Rosso
I am pleased with my first test day on the Pirelli tyres. We got through a lot of work, although it is difficult to draw any conclusions regarding actual performance, even if the feeling from the tyres is pretty good at this early stage. Now, our engineers will have a lot of work back at the factory to ensure the new car suits the characteristics of the tyres. Overall, I do not think we could have done a better job at this test, so it is nice to see the 2010 season end on a positive note.
Laurent Mekies - Toro Rosso Chief Engineer
This has been a productive day. We got through a lot of laps, with a mix of short and long runs and it was especially useful that Sebastien was able to do a very long run, equivalent to a race distance on the soft Pirelli tyre, so there is a lot of data from which we can learn for next season. Apart from the work on the tyre front, we also tried a couple of mechanical components aimed at next year’s car and we ran trouble free throughout the day. That marks the end of testing for 2010, and the team worked well to complete these four additional track days in Abu Dhabi on the back of a very busy end to the season. However, it will not be long until we start all over again at Valencia in early February
Jarno Trulli - Lotus
It’s been a very positive day. It was good to try the Pirelli tyres for the first time and while we have obviously got a lot of work ahead of us I think this was a good start. We will need to focus on the driveability of the tyres – on performance they were good, but we will need to work together in a clear direction to maximise the handling of the car. The hard compounds were pretty consistent, a little less so with the softs, but we have gathered a lot of data that will play an important part in the development of next year’s car. Now the season is over I want to thank the whole team for their work this year – we have finished where we wanted to be and everyone in the team has played their part in helping us reach our goals, so thank you to them and the fans for everything this year.
Mike Gasocyne - Lotus Racing Chief Technical Officer
Another successful day for us and a successful conclusion to both the test with Pirelli and the year in general. My thanks to Jarno for his work today – he gave us some excellent feedback which will give us valuable data for the development of the 2011 car. As this is the last run for the T127 I also want to thank the whole team for all their efforts in what has been a fantastic year and thank all our fans for giving us such great support throughout the season. Now we look ahead to 2011 and we are all excited about taking the next step forward with the new package in what is certain to be another very exciting chapter in our story.

Timo Glock - Virgin Racing
First of all my thanks to the team for one final push this week. It’s been another busy week for us all at the end of the season but the information that we have collected will be invaluable for next year’s programme. We had a very good day of running and we have been able to gather a huge amount of data from the tyres and the development parts for 2011. With regard to the Pirelli tyres I think we have seen some positive things and also some things that need to be addressed, but that is to be expected. The Option looks very good and is very consistent but there seems to be a lot of rear degradation with the Prime, so that’s something to be worked on. Generally though a very good test and now it’s over to the technical guys to feed all that back into the programme and make sure we have a strong package next season.
John Booth - Virgin Racing Team Principal
We said we wanted to end the season on a high and that is exactly what we’ve done here in Abu Dhabi this week with four very positive days of running. We’ve done some good work with the tyres over the last two days and this has been an important step towards our 2011 programme. We have also been able to demonstrate just how far we have come this season by achieving over 400kms of running today. I would like to thank Pirelli for a very positive start to our working relationship. They have been a pleasure to work with. Once again, my thanks to everyone in the team for another week of hard work and I wish everyone a well-deserved break before the big push gets underway for next year.
Pastor Maldonado - HRT
I am very happy to have been able to do the two days of the Pirelli test with Hispania Racing. Today we tried different settings on the car to find the right set-up with the new tyres. Our focus was not on doing the best lap time but on getting a lot of data which will be important for the development of the car for next year. I really enjoyed being in a Formula 1 car and getting more experience. I am already looking forward to the next season when I hopefully can make use of it in Formula 1.
Dr. Colin Kolles - HRT Team Principal
After gaining a lot of data about the new Pirell tyres, we used last night to analyze all of it and define our testing program for today. We tried to get more data at the last day of testing and we have been able to learn more about the tyres and how to use them. During this week we have given three talented young drivers the opportunity to get experience in a Formula 1 car. It was good to work with them and we hope to see them in Formula 1 soon. Our aim during this testing week was to do as many laps as possible and to have as much information about the new Pirelli tyres and the car behavior into the winter break to be able to keep on working with and be well prepared for the next tests before the new season begins.