I want to be a f1 driver

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

Da style
Go Kart Racer
Go Kart Racer

I want to be a f1 driver

Post by Da style » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:43 am

The fact I want to be a f1 driver is because im sik of seeing rich guys get put into this sport, Just cos they have money they think they can drive. Well i'll tell u somethin iI was raised in a poor childhood italian parents belive it or not, So I had to teach myself how to drive at the age of 12-13 I learnt how to control a car by going bushbashing im now 29 still hav'nt had a crash. Point is a have no racing history but I have focus,confidence,racing blood inside me this is how I got my nick name da style all my friends that have been in a car with me have said I should get into car racing and i've thought that im to old now, but then I look at alan jones he wasnt young. So I've decided to start kart racing and maybe without rich parents u will one day see my name on a f1 car........
DA_STYLE

Evil Giraffe
Go Kart Racer
Go Kart Racer

Post by Evil Giraffe » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:35 am

Yeah, uh, good luck with that.

next......

sgd
Racer
Racer

Post by sgd » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:15 am

Good Luck! :lol: :D :up: :soon: :alright:

Shifter
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by Shifter » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:09 am

Well, I am 22 and not from a rich background. Shoot for F1, that way you will go as far as possible. Keep in mind, however, that the challenge of racing a car that can pull almost 4G's in certain situations is something that only a few people can handle, physcially and mentally. I want to race also, and I guess by shooting for F1 I could possibly wind up with some kind of factory drive somewhere. Just so long as I'm not racing around in circles on dumb oval tracks.

This summer I'm going to try out at a school/track session and see how it goes.
"He (James Hunt) would yell "Why Can't we go!!??" We would jack the car up in the back and tell him there was something wrong. There was nothing wrong at all---we were just winding him up."
- Bubbles Horsley

K-D
Racer
Racer

Post by K-D » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:05 am

Most drivers in F1 does not come from rich backgrounds. Some from a semi-well-of background but most really comes from regular backgrounds.

Coulthards dad had (has?) a trucking company or something like that. Coulthard made it to F1 based on his results and hard work.

Schumachers dad was a factoryworker or mechanic.

Montoyas dad is an architect.

If you want to make it to F1, you need to start out early. 29 is way to late, way way way back in time I raced go-karts for 6 years. My talent were little or non-existing, but it was great fun. I lived in the USA for some year, and while there took a 3 day racing school, great fun again but I did not stand out as anything special. I tried my hand on a driver program, where we were given a F2000 (not sure they still exist), and once more did not stand out. But once more had great fun.

I see myself as a good driver, I can win the occasional corporate Go-kart race and did a 5 hour enduro with my brothers last eyar, but I realise I will never make it to a profesional level.

Go luck in your endeavour.

8)
K-D

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:14 am

To make it into F1 you need to have the natural skill, start karting at 4, win a few championships, move to Formula Ford or Renault at 14 or 15, do the same then move to F3 for a year or two at most then into F1
You need to impress, be lucky and have a good manager (or Dad) to strike the sponsorship deals for you.

You want an inspiring story. Go to the Fernando Alonso site, click on Personal then Biography. No money, just pure skill and determination

BTW: Not all drivers start that early, some start late (Sato for example) but you still have to be exceptional. We may joke about drivers being pay drivers but money doesn't buy everything.
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

Evil Giraffe
Go Kart Racer
Go Kart Racer

Post by Evil Giraffe » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:24 pm

read Perry McCarthy's "Flat Out, Flat Broke"
I think you'll see that talent isn't all it takes. You gotta be lucky and tenacious with getting money.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:39 pm

Webber,s dad ran ,I think, a garage. Everything he has done has been on the smallest possible budget, and getting out and having a go :lol:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Graham Ross
Racer
Racer

Post by Graham Ross » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:23 pm

Alan Jones started in F1 when he was 29. He spent years before that in F3.

Good luck but and if I see Da Style on a Ferrari one day, I'll cheer for you (see, who said I am a Ferrari hater :shock: )

Kapel
2004 Champ
2004 Champ

Post by Kapel » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:55 pm

Hey age is no bar dude. :wink:

I come from India where only one sport is affordable and everyone plays i.e. Cricket...Its religion here.
But offlate we have players who are making news and achieving their goals in other sport ;like tennis (Laender Paes,Mahesh Bhupati & SANIA Mirza) and motorsport -F1 (Narain Karthikeyan :D).

He's 29 and made his debut.Well u might to argue that he paid,well yes but through his sponsors.Although he has won a lot of races in F3 and has gone through all the levels of motor racing to achieve it, the point is he's an F1 driver at 29.

I wish u all the luck for ur goal n may u drive in the Indian GP.
An F1 Idiot!!!

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:41 pm

Evil Giraffe wrote:read Perry McCarthy's "Flat Out, Flat Broke"
I think you'll see that talent isn't all it takes. You gotta be lucky and tenacious with getting money.
I don't disagree at all. Yes money is needed but talent is needed as well

All the money in the world can't make one a racing driver if he doesn't have the talent.

But if your are talented, and get lucky you could get in without too much money. It is hard work though.

Personally I hate the idea of pay drivers but the promising thing is that pay drivers aren't lasting for more than a season giving talented drivers a chance.
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!