Jenson Button
No votes

Total votes: 14

Tim
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your thoughts on the Chinese GP and the 2005 F1 Season

Post by Tim » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:53 pm

Congratulations to Renault for clinching the Constructors' Championship after a dominating drive from Fernando Alonso who drove superbly to win the race.

Kimi Raikkonen starting with an old engine tried his best to catch Alonso but his car today wasn't as good as the Renault and he had to settle for second.

Ralf Schumacher was a surprise 3rd after taking a gamble by not making his final stop during the second safety car period. It was one of those races where Ralf did well!

Giancarlo Fisichella drove a solid race but it was clear that he wouldn't match Alonso. The safety cars have disadvatanged him and was given a drive thru penalty for driving too slow at the second round of pit stops so that he doesn't have to wait until Alonso filled up. The same was done by Raikkonen earlier this year and the FIA decided to impose a penalty for anyone attempting such action.

Christian Klien and Felipe Massa also took the same gamble as Ralf and benefited finishing 5th and 6th.

Mark Webber finished 7th and lost out due to filling up till the end of the race during the second safety car period. He drove a solid race and could have finished much higher had he opted not to pit.

Jenson Button made up the top 8 and once again Button has qualified well but the BAR wasn't strong enough in the race dropping several places.

Rubens Barrichello had a good start to his race but high tyre wear cost him and he ended up having to make an unscheduled pit stop towards the end of the race for a tyre. He only managed 12th.

Antonio Pizzonia struggled on this new track and following a number of offs he retired on the final lap. Not an impressive performance and his chances for a drive nest year will be low.

Juan Pablo Montoya contiues with his unlucky incidents on the track. This time he hits a drain cover!!. Up until then he was up with Kimi but we don't know how much fuel he had on board.

Michael Schumacher seems to be unlucky in China, last year he struggled and this year he was hit by Albers as he headed onto the grid!. After having to jump into the spare car and start from the back of the grid, he wasn't making much progress but that was most likely due to a heavy fuel load. During the first safety car period he spun off and retired! A frustrating end to a frustrating season.

And so Renault win the title double after a long and hard fought season. They had consistency and reliablity. McLaren on the other hand may have won more races but were unreliable and lost the Championship because of that.

It was a season where Michelin clearly dominated (apart from the US Grand Prix of course) so congratulations to Michelin on a superb job.

This season we say farewell to a number of names in Formula 1. First BAR Honda will be fully owned by Honda next season and while BAR will remain sponsors, the name is likely to change. Sauber leaves us and becomes BMW (official name yet to be annouced), Jordan leaves us and becomes Midland (official name yet to be announced) and Minardi leaves us after they were taken over by Red Bull.

Of course we say farewell to the V10 era as well. Next year 2.4 V8 engines will power the Formula 1 cars.

Your thoughts on the Chinese Grand Prix and the 2005 Formula 1 season

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:27 am

My initial thoughts are that after A V8 Supercar driver was nearly emasculated by a piece of grid that tore through his car from stem to stern, at the same part of this track, cutting thru roll cages n the bottom of his seat in the process, is that JPM is very lucky to be still with us.
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by <T-K> » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:42 am

Agreed, he is very fortunate that it did not hit more towards the centre of the car....

Today im just gonna skip my thoughts on the race, and jump straight into my thoughts of the season:

-Firstly.....Alonso....what a year for him, becoming the first post Shumi World champion, and also becoming the youngest ever W.C...hats off to him, he has proven his worth, and made his mark in F1.....already. 10/10

-Fisichella. save for a surprize win in Australia, Fisi didnt impress as much as most people thought he would, mostly because of technical gremlins, but still lacked the pace of Alonso when the car was working well. 6/10

-I think Kimi deserves a bit of admiration for the spirit in which he fought down to the very last last lap of the season, even once the WDC had been wrapped up, a slow start to the season, and lack of reliability are what cost him the championship, but all in all a superb season by him. 10/10

-Montoya....recovered from a mysterious shoulder injury, to show that he can be just as fast, if not faster than kimi, and i definately feel that he will be a force to be reckoned with next year. 8/10

-Buton, he has not lived up to expectations this year (or his ego) after a brilliant season last year, this season he has failed to show that he is world champion material, he had one or two strong performances, but thats about it, it was a...mediocre season for him. 5/10

-Sato...Well,well,well, not the most popular person between drivers anymore, and may not have a race seat next year, and honestly, i dont think he has put in any performances this year to warrant a drive in 2006. 3/10

-Webber, i think has had a decent season, not brilliant by any means. ok, given he wasnt in the quickest car, but i think everybody expected more.although, i think he has what it takes to go far in F1. 7/10

-Heidfeld, i think had quite a good season up until his "Incident", he was quicker than mark on many occasions, and i hope to see him fighting for the championship in the years to come.7/10

-Ralph, what can be said, he went through this season in typical Ralph fashion, 2or 3 strong performances, and the rest mediocre...he needs to work on his consistency. 5/10

-Trulli had a rollercoaster ride of a season, a very strong start to the season, which began to tail off towards the end. nonetheless, it was a very good season by the man who was supposed to be "second" to Ralph Shumacher. 8/10

-Michael Shumacher, the man everyone thought was unstoppable, boy were we wrong, little blame can be placed on michael for the dismal showing this season, as Ferrari were lacking pace as a whole, although they began to come right towards the end. 6/10

-Barrichello, i think he just lost faith in Ferrari altogether, with the imminent move to BAR, he was not performing at his best, although he did put up a fight. 5/10

-Coulthard, The red bulls were quicker than we all thought they would be, and so was DC, he put up a great fight. One of the oldest men on the grid, he is under intense pressure to perform, and i think that this year has proven that he still has some fight left in him. 7/10

-Klien, in my opinion klien is a good mid field driver, and not WDC material, although he did put on a good show this year, beating DC on numerous occasions. 7/10

-Massa, had a decent season in a struggling Sauber, i think he deserves that drive at Ferrari, and i honestly think he will be a front runner next year. 8/10

-Villenueve. Not the greatest season by any means, it was up and down for him, on some occasions he seemed on a decent pace, but at others he was totally off it. 4/10

- Montiero. In my opinion, should be given the rookie of the year award...he has had a superb season in a tremendously underpowered car, getting it as high up as 3rd place (if that can be counted)..great year...9/10

-Narain, had a good year althoug didnt impress me as much as i thought he would, maybe he was just coming to terms with F1, but still a decent season for him.. 6/10

-Albers, what can be said for the minardi drivers, they have (negotiably) the slowest car on the grid, and nned to makee do with what they've got, and Albers drove the wheels off what he was given, despite a strange incident in china with MS, i think he deserves a drive next year. 8/10

-Doornbos, a problem with Friesacher's sponsors gave him the opportunity to secure a race seat, and i dont think he did enough with the opportunity he was given.5/10

You may not all agree with me but hey, we're all entitled to our own opinions.

Now, what to do till next season begins...hmmm...... :roll:

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:52 pm

Alonso The Cute and Renault WORLD CHAMPIONS :clap: :clap: :TOTW: :TOTW: :1st: :1st: :bounce: :bounce:

What a drive by The Cute, he was untouchable and won the title for Renault. That was a great end to a great season that I won't forget!

Even when the safey car wiped his lead Kimi couldn't get close. Renault proved that they can fight back. Montoya's unfortunate retirement made the race less exciting but even if he finished 2nd or 3rd Renault would still have won.

Fisichella was once again outpaced by Alonso but he did the job needed.

Ralf in 3rd was a surprise but their strategy worked. I think Webber could have finished on the podium if Williams took the same strategy but still he did have a good race. Pizzonia - I must admit again!! - was dissapointing and I now concede that he can't match Webber and Williams need a better driver for next year.

Sato, well I hope we don't see him on the grid next year. Formula 1 is not for him!

Michael, 2 incidents in the same race ? He is approaching retirement at an accelerated pace!!.

Great competition from Kimi and Alonso with both winning 7 races :mrgreen: And no one can claim that the World Champion won less races :D

With Alonso winning pole and the race I think I will retain the lead in 8 'n' Pole :1st:

I can't wait till 2006 when The Cute will have Number 1 on his car :D :D
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:02 pm

The Wiiliams crew have admitted their strategy backfired due to the safety car, JV. I think Barrichello held Mark up for too long for him to have been a serious contender for third. Thank goodness you have seen the light about Pizzi, apart from anything else he just has too many incidents, I dont think he will be getting a christmas card from Ron Dennis this year. :lol: Good luck with 8nPole. :lol:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:23 pm

Thoughts on the F1 season.....

First, congratulations to Fernando Alonso. It was a well-earned victory for the Spainard, as he clearly was the class of the field. Of course, he did get some help from McLaren, as the sometimes unreliable MP4-20 did let Kimi Raikkonen down at the worst moments. But it was Alonso holding off then-WDC Michael Schumacher at Imola that made people stand up and wonder, what are we seeing this year? Has the Scuderia been tamed this year?

Consolations are in order to McLaren and to Kimi Raikkonen, for one has to ask, what if? What if...his car makes it that last lap at the Nurburgring? Or if his doesn't fail him when it did? Or, what if Juan Pablo had been able to stay in a few additional races at the end? One can only wonder.... :cry:

To Ferrari, it was the end of an era. But maybe it was meant to be; after all, streaks do come to an end, and the Scuderia had held onto the reigns of both the WDC and WCC for 5 cons. yrs. until 2005.

The big disappointment, though, was Williams, as they seemingly couldn't put together a streak of good finishes during the year. Likewise, for BAR-Honda, especially after getting caught cheating at Imola with their "ingenious" fuel-ballast chicanery. Hopefully, with Barrichello moving over from Ferrari, better days are ahead.

There's some character in the F1 paddock we'll miss. Paul Stoddart of Minardi, Peter Sauber from Sauber, Pierre Dupasquier from Michelin...maybe not. Likewise, goodbye to the Minardi, Jordan and BAR names from the paddock.

The worst moment of the year...easy. Watching six cars start the "test session" officially known as the United States Grand Prix, followed that week by news of Bernie Ecclestone's "rip-job" remarks concering IRL driver Danica Patrick and "domestic appliances".

The best races of the year....1}Imola, for the reason stated earlier at the beginning of the post, and 2}Suzuka, especially when Raikkonen made that very "ballsy" pass on Fisichella on the last lap.

As I say in my NA motorsports commentaries, that's my say. What is yours?
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:59 am

There is an old saying in sport
"To finish first, first you must finish"
There is a Finnish bloke who knows that only too well now.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:09 am

Schuey was forced to miss his flight home while Stewards investigated the bizarre incident with Albers.
He was given an "official reprimand" :evil:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:46 pm

V8SUPERCAR PICKS BY FRI MORNING PLEASE.

GhoGho
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by GhoGho » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:41 am

Julian Mayo wrote:
You two live together???????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:
I'm in shape

Round is a shape...........

:cheers:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:45 am

GhoGho wrote:
Julian Mayo wrote:
JayVee, after you, My Dear. :lol:

Kapel
2004 Champ
2004 Champ

Post by Kapel » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:29 pm

GhoGho wrote:
Julian Mayo wrote:
Now thats news Julian :shock:
No wonder u never argued with her :wink: :lol:
An F1 Idiot!!!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:03 pm

Kapel wrote:
GhoGho wrote:
Julian Mayo wrote:
Jayvee I wish to formally post that this is, if anything, your doing. It is certainly not mine. You are the one looking for the" real Julian", and I simply thought "what better place than right behind You". 8)

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:21 pm

Julian Mayo wrote:Schuey was forced to miss his flight home while Stewards investigated the bizarre incident with Albers.
He was given an "official reprimand" :evil:
Poor Albers, his race was ruined :cry:

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:23 pm

Julian Mayo wrote:
Kapel wrote:
GhoGho wrote:
Jayvee I wish to formally post that this is, if anything, your doing. It is certainly not mine. You are the one looking for the" real Julian", and I simply thought "what better place than right behind You". 8)
Ok, I've moved on now, besides, shouldn't you be at Cosworth watching the V8 progress :shock: :shock:

Never argued huh ???