McLaren
32%

Total votes: 19

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Your predictions for the 2005 Season - Teams

Post by Ed » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:23 pm

With the 2005 season just about to start, let us see what you think will happen this year.
This thread is for the teams as there is a Poll for the Constructors' Championship.
Tell us if you think any team will dominate, which team will improve the most and which team will be a flop
(I've only included the top 5 teams in the Poll)

You need to register to vote and/or post your response

350Z
Go Kart Racer
Go Kart Racer

Post by 350Z » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:35 pm

I am really looking forward to this season and I hope to see all the 5 top teams and maybe even Sauber challenge Ferrari.
It will be difficult to remove Ferrari from the top but I do think that it will happen in 2005. First they are starting with the old car so although they will be bullet proof I don't think they will be faster than the 2005 models of the other teams. Second, Bridgestone will suffer more than Michelin when it comes to adapting to the 'single set of tyres' rule. In the past Bridgestone have shown that it takes them longer to perferct a compound.
Which team ? That is a tough one but I'd like to see McLaren up there simply because of their superb driver combination!
The Montoya/Raikkonen battle is on!

FerrariFan#1
Go Kart Racer
Go Kart Racer

Post by FerrariFan#1 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:54 pm

Ferrari will win their 7th Championship in a row.

There are no major changes in Ferrari so why will they be slow ? The other teams still have much to catch up. Maybe BAR Honda will be closer. Also Renault could be strong with Alonso and Fisichella.

I also think that Toyota will be a surprise and do much better than last year.
Ferrari - 6 World Championships in a row
(1999 - 2004)
The 7th in 2005

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:25 am

I think the combination of Raikkonen and Montoya will make McLaren unbeatable. Only condition is a reliable car :wink:

Ferrari will struggle early in the year with the old car and Bridgestone tyres and will lose momentum. They will say otherwise but the motivation can't be the same after winning 6 in a row.
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

Crash
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by Crash » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:12 pm

I think Ferrari and Williams will do well. I`d like to see McLaren up there too, but while they undoubtedly have the most exciting driver pairing for the 05 season, neither driver is well known for being able to nurse a car, and McLaren`s reliability in the first half of a season quite often has a question mark over it.

Sauber is my bet for biggest improver this year. Changing to Michelin was a bold move by Peter Sauber, and one that i hope pays off. The new wind tunnel, Michelin tires, Ferrari engines, JV & Massa = good results hopefully.

I think Toyota will be biggest flop this year. The team seem well prepared to throw away good money after bad. Hiring Ralf Schumacher is a prime example of this. Toyota have too many cooks i think, and it`s spoiling the broth. I also think Gascoyne is overrated somewhat, and will not lead them out of the darkness as many think.

Cheers.. :wink:

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:35 pm

I've got to agree with Crash about McLaren's reliablity. That has been their achilles heel in the last few season (when did they finish a race in Melbourne last ?). But I think (and I hope) that they'll get it right from the start of the year.

I have the same thoughts on Sauber although I am biased towards JV :wink: Hopefully the Michelin switch will allow Sauber to be closer to their engine suppliers!!.

Toyota made the biggest mistake by hiring Ralf and Jarno. Both can have 2 good races a year but not more!
Despite their 'unreliable' drivers, they'll move forward, perhaps even make the top 5.
I do think that Gascoyne is good, his record at Jordan and Renualt proof that however his role as Technical Director at Toyota may be too much for him. We'll know this season!

Graham Ross
Racer
Racer

Post by Graham Ross » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:09 am

It is time that McLaren won it. They improved dramatically towards the end of last season and this season they'll continue improving from the start.

FerrariFan#1
Go Kart Racer
Go Kart Racer

Post by FerrariFan#1 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:43 pm

JayVee wrote:Ferrari will struggle early in the year with the old car and Bridgestone tyres and will lose momentum. They will say otherwise but the motivation can't be the same after winning 6 in a row.
Keeping the same motivation could be an issue but they've managed to produce the goods for 6 years so what is different this year ?
The old car will be ultra reliable and so it will score points.
Even if one of the other teams manage to come up with a quicker car it is unlikley to be reliable.

The Bridgestone tyres will do a great job.
Ferrari - 6 World Championships in a row
(1999 - 2004)
The 7th in 2005

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:33 pm

Reading the news from testing it appears that BAR and Williams are struggling.

BAR have suffered so many engine failures in testing sessions, I wonder if they will ever start a race from near the front :lol:

Williams don't seem to be struggling as much but when Mario Theissen says "Not every problem has been resolved yet, but we are working hard" tells me all is not well.

Lets hope Renault and McLaren aren't struggling otherwise Ferrari will walk away with the championship again and julian won't be happy :(

350Z
Go Kart Racer
Go Kart Racer

Post by 350Z » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:15 am

Of the 05 cars we've seen so far McLaren and Renault are looking good. BAR have engine problems and Toyota are still slow.

We still have to see the new Williams in action
The Montoya/Raikkonen battle is on!

VTEC
Go Kart Racer
Go Kart Racer

Post by VTEC » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:37 am

BAR Honda leaped to second in 04. No reason why they shouldn't win it this year

alonsofan
F3 Tester
F3 Tester

Post by alonsofan » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:20 am

renault will win the championship this year, they have a great car and great drivers
if you bet put a bet on them, their odds are good now :wink:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:57 am

Engines and gearboxes could worry them :wink:

Speed
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by Speed » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:44 am

McLaren will get it right this year

Julian Mayo