Jacques Villeneuve
No votes

Total votes: 12

Tim
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thoughts on the French Grand Prix

Post by Tim » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:26 am

Fernando Alonso wins his 5th race of the season after starting from Pole and leading the entire race and lapping everyone except Kimi and Michael.
Kimi Raikkonen finished in second after starting from 13th due to an engine change.
Michael Schumacher finished 3rd nearly a lap behind Alonso at the end of the race.
Jenson Button scored the first points for BAR Honda this season.
Jarno Trulli finished 5th after starting from second. Again the Toyota seems very good in qualifying but not as good in the race.
Giancarlo Fisichella finished 6th after stalling on his 3rd stop.
Ralf Schumacher finished 7th while Jacques Villeneuve managed 8th place.
Rubens Barrichello struggled and only managed 9th with Coulthard in 10th
Sato had a great chance to finish in the points but went off a couple of times and ended up in 11th place.
The 2 Williams in 12th and 14th with both Webber and Heidfeld with problems while the 2 Jordans in 13th and 15th.
Montoya retired after running in 3rd. The 2 Minardis spun off, Massa retired early and Klien stopped just a lap into the race.

Your thoughts ...

K-D
Racer
Racer

Post by K-D » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:31 am

In F1 we currently have Fernando Alonso, Kimi R?ikk?nnen and Michael Schumacher at a level above the rest of the field.

Renault and Fernando Alonso was mighty in the beginning of the race, but as it progressed it was evident that the McLaren of Kimi R?ikk?nnen was the fastest package in the field. Michael Schumacher, while "strong" still finished 70 seconds behind the winner, a fact that ferrari have already called "disappointing".

There were a number of explanations, as to why the other drivers of the top 3, did not manage quite as well, some of it may be bad luck, some of it may be underacheiving, some of it may be trying to gard. I think that it is over a full season, going to be a little of each for Giancarlo, Juan Pablo and Rubens.

The British GP is already next week, so there will be little time for testing, and whatever was learned by the teams this weekend, needs to be implemented "on a hunch", even though I would not be surprised to see a couple of F2005's active at Fiorano.

The "fact of life" in F1 continue to be that overtaking is basically not possible, and the ever incresing winglets, aerofoils, curves and whatnot is making the cars more and more unappealing, and continue to add to the real problem wich continue to be aerodynamin downforce. This can not be regulated by the FIA under the current Concorde, so it will take the unanimous agreement by all teams to rid the sport of this, and that I am sure no-one expect to happen.

Jarno Trulli is a qualifier extra-ordinaire, but when his race pace is such that everyone behind him is bottled up, and losing touch with the leader, with every one behind unable to overtake until the first round of pitstops. Then the sport is looking the wrong place for solutions to the "problems" - Jarno qualified second and courtesy of Giancarlo finished 5th, Ralf stated 11th and ended 7th, the Toyota's are very powerfull and with the advantage of a qualifier like Jarno, and tires like Michelin they will continue to play the cork in the bottle to a differing selection of Michael, Jenson, Rubens, Giancarlo, Kimi, Juan Pablo, Fernando, Takuma.

There is nothing wrong in Toyota taking all the advantages that they can of the rules, and equipment available, but it is a exactly this that that "oe Public" dislikes intensely about F1.

NO OVERTAKING.

Fernando Alonso seem poised to be come the youngest World Drivers Champion ever, he is an immensely talented driver, and apart from one race this season, he has been racing a car that worked like a well oiled machine should.

Kimi R?ikk?nnen seem destined to become this season runner-up, however McLaren Mercedes continues to have to many egine and equipment problems, and more than Kimi benefitting from Alonso non-finishing, I expect tnat Kimi could get under threath from Michael, through Kimi non-finishing.

Nothing is yet "done", but with 9 races to go, Fernando Alonso really need to have a complete meltdown, for him not to win.

8)

Driver of the day Kimi R?ikk?nnen.
K-D

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:03 am

An unappealing event, for all the obvious reasons. F1 " races" like this rate below lawn bowls.
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Bundy
Racer
Racer

Post by Bundy » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:56 am

i agree
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.......

I'm no ordinary idiot. I'm an F1 idiot!!!
146th in 8'n'Pole 2007
293rd in 8'n'Pole 2006

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:26 am

I only saw the first 30 laps, then went to bed. The pitstops were the most exciting thing.
I can't remember which comentator it was, I think it was ITV, that was talking about using the underside of the car for downforce. I know this is not allowed in F1 (correct me if I am wrong) but this would help the drivers overtake in the disturbed air from the car in front. I know cart use it and they have no problem passing each other.
Ok, Lewis may win the WDC in 07, but Sato will beat him in 08.

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:35 am

Forgot to mention, were Williams racing this weekend?? Maybe they mistook it for a testing weekend.

I stopped watching the race early on, but maybe someone can explain to me why they finished where they did. Maybe BMW are only letting them use 8 sparkplugs at a time so they can use the extras next year.

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:58 am

rah wrote:Forgot to mention, were Williams racing this weekend?? Maybe they mistook it for a testing weekend.

I stopped watching the race early on, but maybe someone can explain to me why they finished where they did. Maybe BMW are only letting them use 8 sparkplugs at a time so they can use the extras next year.
Never mind, just read the reports. Webber seems to be in the hot seat a lot.

Mario is not afraid of speaking his mind these days. How many times did he say the engines had no problems?

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:34 am

rah wrote:Forgot to mention, were Williams racing this weekend?? Maybe they mistook it for a testing weekend.

WILL WHO? :twisted:

Graham Ross
Racer
Racer

Post by Graham Ross » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:23 pm

Not an exciting race I must say but the French GP has always been about strategy.

It is a shame Montoya retired and Raikkonen had to change his engine. Of course Trulli spoiled things for everyone behind Alonso but he ended up helping the McLarens!!

Credit to Alonso though, he was flying early in the race and once he had a pit stop in hand, he took it easy.
He deserved the win and to do it in France for Renault and Michelin, that was good to watch. I liked it when he pointed to Michelin on his cap on the podium. Not many drivers would have done that.

Dissapointements, many!!
McLaren maybe fast but reliability will hurt them
Ferrari, yeah I liked Michael's comment before the race that they can win this. Almost lapped by Alonso and not much faster than Button!
Barrichello was nowhere!
Sato keeps going over the edge but he is fun to watch
Williams, well I think the BMW decision is having a big impact already

Driver of the day would be Alonso with Raikkonen a close second.

Lloyd
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by Lloyd » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:01 pm

Have Sir Frank and KIA already starting testing the new engine??
Maybe, perhaps, not sure

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:07 pm

Lloyd wrote:Have Sir Frank and KIA already starting testing the new engine??

Yeah, the flat four with side valves.

Bundy
Racer
Racer

Post by Bundy » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:38 pm

hot tip........there could be an agreement between williams and caterpillar equipment.

sure running a diesel engine designed for a dump truck in F1 is a bit risky BUT at this stage i think sir frank doesn't have a choice

146th in 8'n'Pole 2007
293rd in 8'n'Pole 2006

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:45 pm

bundy wrote:hot tip........there could be an agreement between williams and caterpillar equipment.

sure running a diesel engine designed for a dump truck in F1 is a bit risky BUT at this stage i think sir frank doesn't have a choice
Yeah, but if one of those roadblock toyotas are in front, just lower the bucket, scoop, n dump :lol:

Bundy
Racer
Racer

Post by Bundy » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:49 pm

perfect...everyone wins. we finally have the possibility of overtaking on the track!!

146th in 8'n'Pole 2007
293rd in 8'n'Pole 2006

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:18 pm

bundy wrote:perfect...everyone wins. we finally have the possibility of overtaking on the track!!
Not til Max has gone :twisted: