The new Formula 1 rules for 2005

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

The new Formula 1 rules for 2005

Post by Ed » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:05 am

As the season draws closer, we keep hearing about the new regulations and how they may effect the racing this season. Here are the main points:

Long Life Engines:
Engines must last for two consecutive events. If an engine is changed in practice or first qualifying (Saturday) then a driver will drop 10 places on the starting grid and may not use another engine until the end of the following event.
If an engine is changed after the first qualifying but before the race then the driver will start from the back of the grid.

The FIA will attach seals to the engines to ensure no significant parts can be rebuilt or replaced. Additional seals will be attached between the 2 races to ensure the engine cannot be run.

Aim: To reduce engine power. Both peak and average power will be less than for an engine with a shorter life.

Tyres:
One set of tyres for both qualifying sessions and the race.
Basically from the first qualifying on Saturday the driver cannot change tyres unless it rains. The only time a driver may change tyres under dry conditions is for a punctured or damaged tyre (also if there is a genuine safety reason), in that case the driver cannot refuel at the same time.

Aim: Lower cornering speeds, longer braking distances, less marbles. A tyre which must last 350 km rather than 80 km will have less grip, reducing cornering speeds, increasing braking distances and possibly producing less tyre debris or ?marbles?.

Aerodynamics
Changes to the bodywork includes raising the front wing, bringing the rear wing forward, reduce the diffuser height and cut back the bodywork in front of the rear wheels.
The aerodynamic changes will reduce the downforce by 25 - 30% of 2004 levels.

Aim: Reduction in corner speeds. Lower downforce will reduce speeds, particularly in fast corners, and slightly increase braking distances, while the small reduction in drag will have a minimal effect on straight-line speeds

New Qualifying Format:

Saturday Afternoon Session (13:00 to 14:00 )

Single lap qualifying with the cars going out in the reverse order of their finishing positions at the previous race.
No restrictions on fuel load

Sunday Morning Session (10:00 to 11:00 )

Single lap qualifying with the cars going out in the reverse order of the qualifying on Saturday (fastest car on Saturday goes out last on Sunday)
Session to run with race fuel load. (no refuelling allowed prior to the start of the race)

Times from the two sessions are added and the grid is determined with the shortest aggregate time on pole.

More details at the Formula 1 Regulations page. The Heretic's article "The new 2005 rules. Some of it could work" discusses the rules in detail.

350Z
Go Kart Racer
Go Kart Racer

Post by 350Z » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:57 pm

Each year the rules get more and more ridiculous!

I wonder how many cars will be DQ'd because of a bad seal ? How many teams will try to change tyres during a race on 'safety' grounds ?????

And this new qualifying. Its absurd. What are they thinking ? The complication of aggregate times ? First session on low fuel and second session on race load!!. It will still be a non event and now we won't even know who's on Pole until the Sunday

I hope they change it before Melbourne
The Montoya/Raikkonen battle is on!

The Heretic

Post by The Heretic » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:20 am

On the Montoya Raikkonen battle, I agree it will be interesting but i wonder if Montoya has outgrown the Kamikaze reaction to pressure?

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:27 am

Anybody know where I can borrow a rocket scientist to help explain the rules?
I dont think he will ever stop his kamikaze approach.It does make exciting motor racing at times :shock: :lol:

FerrariFan#1
Go Kart Racer
Go Kart Racer

Post by FerrariFan#1 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:25 am

Montoya is dangerous. He was driving like crazy at Spa. The pressure from Raikkonen will make him even more dangerous. He'll regret moving to McLaren!
Ferrari - 6 World Championships in a row
(1999 - 2004)
The 7th in 2005

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:18 pm

Montoya hasn"t survived in champ cars and f1 this long by being dangerous. Brave yes, dangerous no. :up:

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:22 pm

Racing is a dangerous sport guys!

Although I don't think Montoya will match Raikkonen this year, he is great to watch. He overtakes at places no one dares to. Reminds me of Villeneuve in the good old days 8)
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:27 pm

Yes, Giles :clap: